These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Can not decide what Race (Solved)

Author
Aelle Vane
Doomheim
#21 - 2015-04-01 15:36:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Aelle Vane
Quote:
none of that is true

What i have said is just from what i have read rather then personal experience.

Care to perhaps explain more instead of posting a non helpful comment.
Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2015-04-01 15:45:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Azda Ja
Aelle Vane wrote:
Quote:
none of that is true

Easy there.

It's true because armor and shield tanking are different and have different strengths. You don't Fit 1600mm Armor Plates to a ship meant for kiting, you fit Shield Extenders, or Active Shield tanking modules, because shield tanks don't increase your mass.

Armor Tanks generally let you get more utility out of your ship (more mid slots for EWAR) at the expense of speed, and shield tanks let you squeeze more damage and or speed out of a ship, at the expense of less utility.

Everything has it's place in EVE. Missiles too, they can be terrifying in the right situation. For example a Caracal/Bellicose with Rapid lights is going to east frigates for breakfast, fast tackle beware!

EDIT: Example

Let's take the Merlin. it's bonuses are as follows:

Caldari Frigate bonuses (per skill level):
5% bonus to Small Hybrid Turret damage
4% bonus to all shield resistances

It's designed as a shield tanker, that much is obvious. Now, what if i told you there are very good fits that armor tank with it?

[Merlin, Double Web Rails]

Damage Control II
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

1MN Afterburner II
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I

150mm Railgun II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Small Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster I

The fit above, makes for a great scram kiter. The fitting choices here are very deliberate. Why the Armor Repair? So we can fit an extra Stasis Web. Why the second Web? To stop a ship dead in it's tracks. Why do that? So we can orbit it at our optimal, and out of the opposing ships optimal, and reduce the tracking difficulties associated with Rail Guns.

The tank is far weaker than it could be as a shield tanker. However this fit is not designed to tank the world, it's supposed to avoid damage by not being close enough in the first place.

Context is incredibly important to ship fits and their effectiveness.

Grrr.

Aelle Vane
Doomheim
#23 - 2015-04-01 15:57:08 UTC
Azda Ja - Thank you for your reply.

Quote:
Easy there.

My Comment was in no means meant to be rude and i apologize if that was the case.

I Just prefer it if the comments have a explanation.

Starting to really like Gallente lol (I Wish my mind wasn't so indecisive.

Is this a good Fit for a Thorax?

Tracking Enhancer II
Tracking Enhancer II
Damage Control II

Large Shield Extender II
Stasis Webifier II
Warp Scrambler II
Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I

Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II

Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

Warrior II x5
Hornet EC-300 x5
Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2015-04-01 16:03:37 UTC
Aelle Vane wrote:

Is this a good Fit for a Thorax?

You posted before I could finish editing my post above, but the edit answers this in part.

You shouldn't ask "Is this a good fit?", but "Is this fit good for _________?"

Grrr.

Aelle Vane
Doomheim
#25 - 2015-04-01 16:07:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Aelle Vane
"Is this fit good for Solo PvP"

"is this fit good for Small Gang PVP"

SHIP: Thorax

Tracking Enhancer II
Tracking Enhancer II
Damage Control II

Large Shield Extender II
Stasis Webifier II
Warp Scrambler II
Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I

Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II

Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I

Warrior II x5
Hornet EC-300 x5
Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2015-04-01 16:21:09 UTC
Aelle Vane wrote:
"Is this fit good for Solo PvP"

"is this fit good for Small Gang PVP"

Better Blink.

But you have to go even deeper than that. Solo/Small gang, fine, but where? Lowsec FW complexes? Null sec roams? Wormholes?

Also, if you're in a gang, what do your fleet mates fly? Does your fit complement theirs? Does it cover another's weaknesses?

There is a mountain of variables to take into account. Obviously you're new, so it'll take a while to understand a lot of this. I just wanted to explain why you may have trouble getting answers to some of your questions, and why some of the suppositions you had were wrong.

EVE PVP tactics are Rock Paper Scissors designed by a satanic Rain Man. That complexity is part of why so many of us are obsessed with theorycrafting fits and tactics, it's incredibly stimulating. Sometimes when I log in, I don't even really play, I'll just be debating the merits of a fit or tactic with a friend until 5 am. I'm not even an expert, I know just enough to understand how much I have left to learn.

I hope these kinds of things hook you onto EVE as well Big smile.

Grrr.

Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2015-04-01 16:30:00 UTC
Regarding the fit you posted specifically. It's ok. Personally I'd Armor Tank a thorax if I were to Brawl with it and add a second web, the short range on blasters means you need to be right on top of them, the shield tank means you're not too slow, but the single web and not very strong tank could be a problem. If however we had shield logistics and someone with Webs in a small gang, then you could use this pretty well in certain circumstances.

I do want to point out that you'd be better off getting started with PvP in frigates, they're far cheaper, effective in the right context/with enough numbers, and they'll get you used to the fact that your ships are highly disposable.

Grrr.

Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#28 - 2015-04-01 16:31:18 UTC
Aelle Vane wrote:
Quote:
none of that is true

My apologies, I should indeed have elaborated.

you will find shield ships everywhere, regardless of regional origin.
what has a greater impact is the Corp fleet doctrine which varies from Corp to Corp
you can (and do) find almost anything in PvP,
my corps one is primarily armour but there's usually one or two shield ships in fleet because they fill their role better than their armour counterpart.

The only instance I know of where missiles are frowned upon is incursions where their travel time is considered a negative.
in almost all other cases missiles are as viable an option as turrets , you lose some dps but you gain selectable damage and will in most cases land you hits.

Aelle Vane
Doomheim
#29 - 2015-04-01 16:33:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Aelle Vane
Azda Ja - Thanks again for your replies they're very helpful.

Thank you for all the replies its nice to know EVE has a helpful community.
GordonO
BURN EDEN
#30 - 2015-04-01 22:54:39 UTC
You really should stop worrying about what corp you join and where it is based.
You really can't go wrong with missiles, they are used everywhere for a reason. If you look at the kill boards you will see that the orthorus which uses missiles is probably the top ship.
The biggest reason missiles are not used in large fleet fights is because of firewalling.. yea its a thing, and in incursions because of contesting.
Caldari also use rail guns.
You should train what you think you like to fly when you start the game. I have started many toons in EVE and the ones that started with missiles have been the most useful in the early day, ie drake for wh's then a tengu for wh's and missioning.. nerf or not.. its still the top go to for pve.

Anyway, up to you.. but forget about where you going to join a corp..

... What next ??

Aelle Vane
Doomheim
#31 - 2015-04-01 23:08:20 UTC
Quote:
You really should stop worrying about what corp you join and where it is based.

- I'm not really worrying about the corp i am going to join but ya know its just something that is on my list of things to complete lol. (EVE is better to play with people/friends)

- I have come to really like Hybrids and Gallente ships.
- I don't think i gave them a good test when i first tried because i had my mind set on Caldari and Amarr but after playing with Hybrid Weapons and watching The Latest videos on Gallente ships i have just come to love them lol.
- I will work on other race ships and weapons but i have FINALLY! decided what race i will focus on and that is Gallente!!

My Problem has been Solved!.

Thanks for all the replies.

Post can be closed.... if thats what they do on this forum lol.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#32 - 2015-04-02 01:29:32 UTC
Aelle Vane wrote:

Starting to really like Gallente lol (I Wish my mind wasn't so indecisive.

You are not getting married. It's a game and a racial ship line that you can quickly cross train into or out of. Try different ships out a.k.a. play around with stuff. To me trying out different stuff is half the fun of this game.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Aelle Vane
Doomheim
#33 - 2015-04-02 10:35:44 UTC
Quote:
You are not getting married. It's a game and a racial ship line that you can quickly cross train into or out of. Try different ships out a.k.a. play around with stuff. To me trying out different stuff is half the fun of this game.

How do you know i'm not getting married... i may have a smoking hot wife...

All jokes aside i totally agree with you but in the Mind of... Aelle(Me) i never make things simple, i think more then i should about things which really do not matter but as i have said i have solved my problem.

See you on the battlefield or Asteroid belt.
Cara Forelli
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#34 - 2015-04-02 13:49:18 UTC
Azda Ja wrote:
I'll just be debating the merits of a fit or tactic with a friend until 5 am.

You made me late for work. Sad

Big smile

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Lan Wang
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2015-04-02 14:17:58 UTC
Azda Ja wrote:

[Merlin, Double Web Rails]

Damage Control II
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste

1MN Afterburner II
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Small Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster I

The fit above, makes for a great scram kiter. The fitting choices here are very deliberate. Why the Armor Repair? So we can fit an extra Stasis Web. Why the second Web? To stop a ship dead in it's tracks. Why do that? So we can orbit it at our optimal, and out of the opposing ships optimal, and reduce the tracking difficulties associated with Rail Guns.

The tank is far weaker than it could be as a shield tanker. However this fit is not designed to tank the world, it's supposed to avoid damage by not being close enough in the first place.

dont like that fit really your pretty much in blaster and neut, scram, point and web range, i find using a disruptor better as you can kite further out of scram and web range, they get too close then the webs slow them down till you can get range again

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Cara Forelli
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#36 - 2015-04-02 14:35:10 UTC
Lan Wang wrote:
dont like that fit really your pretty much in blaster and neut, scram, point and web range, i find using a disruptor better as you can kite further out of scram and web range, they get too close then the webs slow them down till you can get range again

Or they might just bail when they can't catch you because Merlins are slower than most frigs and have poor damage at long range.

However you have just shown a perfect example of
Azda Ja wrote:
"Is this fit good for _________?"

As always, the "optimal" fit depends on the situation.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Bastion Arzi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#37 - 2015-04-02 16:00:18 UTC
caldari have some blaster ships as well. making a cross train into gallente more viable.
Previous page12