These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Wardec matters once again

First post First post
Author
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#41 - 2015-03-28 22:34:34 UTC
ill add that an industrial corp that wants to play a PvP-sandbox MMO will do well to learn to protect or pay someone to protect their assets.

There are ways to play with others without exposing yourself to war decs if you dont want to.

And i also dont think putting a timer on corp hopping would be a problem. You can always drop to a NPC corp at any time, but cooldowns to joining/rejoining/creating player corps arent crippling to a social experience. You still have chatrooms, standings and soon to have social clubs and even social corps.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Syn Shi
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#42 - 2015-03-29 00:54:54 UTC
If you want to war then leave hi-sec, go to null because the null bears there say they are bored, and wait for the blob to come.

Then pay rent and post how leet you are for doing pve in null and paying rent.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#43 - 2015-03-29 00:59:16 UTC
Syn Shi wrote:
If you want to war then leave hi-sec

No. EVE is a PvP game, and PvP belongs everywhere. That includes highsec.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Avellean Oriki
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#44 - 2015-03-29 01:19:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Avellean Oriki
Malcaz wrote:
Maybe scale the cost of the wardec to the size. For a 1 man corp to dec a 5000 character alliance, it costs very little, for a 5000 man alliance to dec a 1 man corp costs billions.

That wouldn't work, you could just drop everyone from corp or make a new corp and wardec who you wanted and then bring everyone in. The initial cost of a wardec should be increased to something that deters people from just wardecing anyone. If you want to wardec a small noob indy/pve corp it should cost you a huge amount of isk to make sure its worth doing. There are to many corps/alliances out there that use wardecs as a tool to grief other people.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Syn Shi wrote:

Coming from a alliance that doesn't pvp that's funny. PvP to you is killing a week old miner who cant fight back.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#45 - 2015-03-29 01:36:52 UTC
Avellean Oriki wrote:

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Syn Shi wrote:

Coming from a alliance that doesn't pvp that's funny. PvP to you is killing a week old miner who cant fight back.

By definition, shooting at other players is PvP. Nevermind that it's a good thing regardless of whom you are firing upon.

But then I don't buy into e-honor, so I don't have a thinking block on that kind of thing.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Madd Adda
#46 - 2015-03-29 02:05:56 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Syn Shi wrote:

Where is this said? I play for the pve content that clearly exists in EVE and you're saying it's pvp? Now that's funny.

Carebear extraordinaire

Syn Shi
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#47 - 2015-03-29 03:00:39 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Syn Shi wrote:

No. EVE is a sandbox where pvp and pve happen.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#48 - 2015-03-29 03:41:51 UTC
Madd Adda wrote:

Where is this said?

The FAQ for the game, for a long while.

Quote:

I play for the pve content that clearly exists in EVE and you're saying it's pvp? Now that's funny.

If you are effecting the market, you are engaging in PvP. It's only fair that people be able to do something about that.

And you seriously play this game for the PvE? It is, beyond any doubt, the worst in the MMO industry. Freaking Star Trek's PvE is more fun, and that game is quite literally pathetic.

Syn Shi wrote:
No. EVE is a sandbox where pvp and pve happen.

Wrong. Unless you're living off of the ammo drops from the rats you kill, everything you do is PvP to some extent. This is a PvP game at it's core, and PvP belongs everywhere, whether people like you like or not.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Madd Adda
#49 - 2015-03-29 03:54:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Madd Adda
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

The FAQ for the game, for a long while.

Where is this FAQ? i want to read it.

Quote:
If you are effecting the market, you are engaging in PvP. It's only fair that people be able to do something about that.

And you seriously play this game for the PvE? It is, beyond any doubt, the worst in the MMO industry. Freaking Star Trek's PvE is more fun, and that game is quite literally pathetic.

Effecting the market is now PVP? that's deep bro. I find the PVE here pretty good imo, especially the wormhole sites. I don't care for industry standards, since i do play other games for that satisfaction. Personally though, PVP in eve is bland in comparison to other PVP centric games.

Carebear extraordinaire

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#50 - 2015-03-29 04:39:19 UTC
The wardec mechanic does not need more power.
It is already a super powerful mechanic. As long as there is a reason for defenders to care. In fact once there is a reason to care Wardecs are almost too powerful, any more power and it will be a serious griefing tool against anyone with a reason to defend stuff. And certain groups will abuse it in that way if you give them the power.

Reasons to care about undocking are what is needed. Of course, since Null people dock up at a single neutral in local most of the time, I find it funny how they abuse high sec players who have to put up with knowing one of those hundred people in local will be a spy for the wardec corp/alliance to hunt their targets with. But yea, reasons to care about undocking, in Null as well.
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#51 - 2015-03-29 06:01:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Daichi Yamato
Madd Adda wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Syn Shi wrote:

Where is this said? I play for the pve content that clearly exists in EVE and you're saying it's pvp? Now that's funny.

Its in the eve faq.

This is a PvP game at its core. Blowing eachother up is core gameplay. You don't have to want to shoot others but others can shoot you.

And PvP is any form of competition which is another part of core gameplay for eve. Look it up bro.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Lugh Crow-Slave
#52 - 2015-03-29 06:45:30 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
WarDec mechanics could be changed to disallow WarDecs against smaller corporations or alliances. Smaller corporations or alliances would still be free to WarDec larger alliances or corporations.

this is just dumb

but the OPs ideas aren't any better thought out

the solution to corp hopping simply encourages people not to log in any more

and the problem with the attacker retracting the war is not much of an issue having to wait 24hrs to swap from defender to attacker isn't that much

the problem with war decs is not just with wardecs but how high sec works in general odds are one group has absolutely no risk in the fight (normally the attacker) while the ones that have something to lose have very little to gain by not just dropping corp

this issue is also one of the problems with getting people out of NPC corps or one man corps as again for many the only thing being in a corp does is add risk with no reward
Madd Adda
#53 - 2015-03-29 06:46:24 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Madd Adda wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Syn Shi wrote:

Its in the eve faq.

This is a PvP game at its core. Blowing eachother up is core gameplay. You don't have to want to shoot others but others can shoot you.

And PvP is any form of competition which is another part of core gameplay for eve. Look it up bro.

again, where is this FAQ?

pvp to me conjures images of fighting in the sense of physical combat, but yes i suppose market related activities can be pvp technically. That would make every game PVP so long as there is an economy or any type of (possible) competition in every conceivable sense.

Carebear extraordinaire

Black Pedro
Mine.
#54 - 2015-03-29 09:01:20 UTC
Madd Adda wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:

again, where is this FAQ?

The New Pilot FAQ is here: http://web.ccpgamescdn.com/communityassets/pdf/EVE-Online-New-Pilot-FAQ.pdf

Pay particular attention to section 5 (5.2-5.3) and section 7 which starts:

CCP wrote:
The essential core concept of EVE Online is that it is full time PvP in a sandbox environment.

Madd Adda wrote:
pvp to me conjures images of fighting in the sense of physical combat, but yes i suppose market related activities can be pvp technically. That would make every game PVP so long as there is an economy or any type of (possible) competition in every conceivable sense.

Well PVP means player vs. player. Practically everything you do in the sandbox is against other players: you only make a profit at industry because your operation is more efficient or you sell your PvE drops because you undercut someone else on the market and so on. In fact, the very name of the game comes from Everyone vs. Everyone and the core concept is a single universe where all the player battle each other for power and resources.

Eve is a PvP game. The industrial portion of the game is meaningless unless players are exploding things. However industry is also essential as without it we would all be shooting each other in only rookie ships. The two are intertwined which is why there needs to be away for direct PvP action to influence industrial actions just as industry influences ship PvP. Wardecs in some form are essential for this; players cannot be allowed to pursue industrial activities insulated from the sandbox or the whole thing comes tumbling down.

There are ways to play Eve without ever engaging in ship-to-ship combat with another player - making friends to provide your protection is the most obvious but there are others. However, there cannot, and should not be a way to play where you can opt-out of the possibility of ship combat being forced on you. If you do that, it ain't a sandbox anymore.
Kaldi Tsukaya
Deveron Shipyards and Technology
Citizen's Star Republic
#55 - 2015-03-29 09:17:00 UTC
This topic again...

Ok, here's my contribution (as an Indy Hisec Corp CEO):

1. NPC corp means you are at war with the State FW forces of your opposing state.
YES, even as a newbro. You will find refuge in the rookie systems. Otherwise you are under the bullseye of the opposing state.
No more 'free pass' for NPC neutrals (cuz you're all alt-spies anywayBlink)

2. If you roll your corp (as CEO), you cannot re-roll or join a corp for a week. Closing your Corp means you failed, and should suffer the penalty for it. Exception to the rule if you join the corp/alliance that wardecced you, which you can do immediately.

3. Wardec fee should go to the defender if they destroy more isk than the attacker. Put some incentive in the defender game.

4. No penalty to members leaving corp during a wardec (current mechanics).

---

I don't think the wardec mechanics are broken. There has to be a balance between large/small, rich/poor. As in most things, you had better do your homework and research on your targets. Some will fight, some will even bring friendsTwisted. Others won't. Just don't complain about it. Adapt and move on.
McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#56 - 2015-03-29 09:31:19 UTC  |  Edited by: McChicken Combo HalfMayo
Donnachadh wrote:
No I did not misunderstand your point.
Human nature is that there are those who will fight as long as there is some degree or chance that they can be successful or have something to gain from fighting. This group of players would likely find a well balanced system to be an enjoyable way to spend time in this game.

The other side of human nature is that there are those who will not fight no matter what you do. There is no system you can put in place, and there are no incentives you can offer that will EVER change this. In fact you yourself state that very clearly in the segment below where you indicate that there is little or no chance that your industrial character would ever engage in a fight during a WD as it wold be counter productive.

This is the kind of player I'd hope to target with a change to corps assets and wardecs. Expanding the usefulness of assets in space for players that are willing to engage in hostilities for a measurable advantage to their operations. Make it productive to fight. I'll break down my views on two structures to give you an idea of what I mean.

Highsec starbases are hit and miss. The fuel costs make it difficult to churn out a profit unless you're manufacturing in niche T2 markets. The removal of station slots further compounded the lack of use for a POS. If they removed "system index" charges from starbases and reduced fuel costs they might be better conflict drivers. In the end though a starbase only reduces your potential costs when compared to doing that same activity in a station. There isn't much reason to defend one when you can always tear it down for the wardec and continue in a station.

POCOs conversely are in a good place right now. Owning your own POCO in highsec is the only way to make ISK through planetary reactions (shipping commodities down to planets, creating higher tier commodities, shipping them back to the market). If you do not own the POCO, the tax rates generally make it impossible to churn out a profit. There is a measurable gain in owning and defending a POCO.

The important difference between the two is that POCOs allow you to do something you cannot profitably do without it (planetary reactions). That's a good place to start with new assets for corporations. An asset should not only reduce costs in a way that can be negated by rolling more alts. It should also provide benefits that cannot be obtained without it.

There are all our dominion

Gate camps: "Its like the lowsec watercooler, just with explosions and boose" - Ralph King-Griffin

Lugh Crow-Slave
#57 - 2015-03-29 09:39:59 UTC
McChicken Combo HalfMayo wrote:
Donnachadh wrote:
No I did not misunderstand your point.
Human nature is that there are those who will fight as long as there is some degree or chance that they can be successful or have something to gain from fighting. This group of players would likely find a well balanced system to be an enjoyable way to spend time in this game.

The other side of human nature is that there are those who will not fight no matter what you do. There is no system you can put in place, and there are no incentives you can offer that will EVER change this. In fact you yourself state that very clearly in the segment below where you indicate that there is little or no chance that your industrial character would ever engage in a fight during a WD as it wold be counter productive.

This is the kind of player I'd hope to target with a change to corps assets and wardecs. Expanding the usefulness of assets in space for players that are willing to engage in hostilities for a measurable advantage to their operations. Make it productive to fight. I'll break down my views on two structures to give you an idea of what I mean.

Highsec starbases are hit and miss. The fuel costs make it difficult to churn out a profit unless you're manufacturing in niche T2 markets. The removal of station slots further compounded the lack of use for a POS. If they removed "system index" charges from starbases and reduced fuel costs they might be better conflict drivers.

POCOs conversely are in a good place right now. Owning your own POCO in highsec is the only way to make ISK through planetary reactions (shipping commodities down to planets, creating higher tier commodities, shipping them back to the market). If you do not own the POCO, the tax rates generally make it impossible to churn out a profit. There is a measurable gain in owning and defending a POCO.

The important difference between the two is that POCOs allow you to do something you cannot profitably do without it (planetary reactions). That's a good place to start with new assets for corporations. An asset should not only reduce costs in a way that can be negated by rolling more alts. It should also provide benefits that cannot be obtained without it.

but its not normally the indy defenders that have nothing to lose they time they spend docked up is already a huge loss of isk

the main problem is attackers have nothing to lose and can just sit on station and dock up if a fight goes south or just up ans switch to softer targets

the reason pilots don't normally undock to fight back is not because they aren't loosing anything by not doing it but because they have nothing to gain by fighting back.

even if they do manage to kill a war target all they have gained is a worthless kill mail
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#58 - 2015-03-29 10:06:44 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

the main problem is attackers have nothing to lose and can just sit on station and dock up if a fight goes south or just up ans switch to softer targets

This.

Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

the reason pilots don't normally undock to fight back is not because they aren't loosing anything by not doing it but because they have nothing to gain by fighting back.

even if they do manage to kill a war target all they have gained is a worthless kill mail

Aaaaand THIS.

It's not a popular fact though, a lot of people seem to think the defenders should just undock and be shot like fowl on a hunt and if they don't then eve is better without them. Roll

Until the attackers have a stake in the game, the ONLY intelligent play....is not to play.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#59 - 2015-03-29 10:17:54 UTC
afkalt wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

This.

Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

Aaaaand THIS.

It's not a popular fact though, a lot of people seem to think the defenders should just undock and be shot like fowl on a hunt and if they don't then eve is better without them. Roll

Until the attackers have a stake in the game, the ONLY intelligent play....is not to play.

well no the intelligent play is just to drop corp if it starts affecting your income and to more or less ignore it and watch local if its not to much of a threat.

but until i can gain something(or at least effectively harm my aggressor) there is no reason for me to undock and shoot his ships
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#60 - 2015-03-29 10:24:37 UTC
Yeah there are a couple of ways to "not play" that game. But the point remains the same as you said :)