These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Tactical Destroyers

Author
Niobe Song
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2015-03-26 07:48:38 UTC
Hecate isn't coming out until July so the art department has time to go back to the drawing board and give it a more exciting transformation. Because as it stands now it looks like a few tiny flaps pop up.

Otherwise it is pretty cool looking.
Jeremiah Saken
The Fall of Leviathan
#42 - 2015-03-26 08:07:39 UTC
Jallukola wrote:

Too much Mordu's, too little native Caldari, trash material.

Mordu's ships are flat, more like SR-71 blackbird.
Jackdaw:
-hull made of rectangles - check
-antennas - check
-missile boat - check
-shield tanked - check
-i don't give a s*** how it looks until its effective - check. Caldari in every aspect. Continuation of new recons designs.
Stances are weird, i cannot imagine where those middle "wings" fold. Alongside the hull? Is it raw version?

"I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas..." - Herman Melville

Hermanni Pursiainen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#43 - 2015-03-26 08:33:56 UTC
Filip Bonn wrote:
Prince Damien wrote:
From the Art Panel

Hecate


This one is piece of crap.

Done by designer at lunch time ?

Oh..!
Hey I just found Hekate prototype, look:

Hekate Prototype


Hahaha, oh lawdy.

Introducing the Gallente T3 Destroyer!

THE FLYING MAXIPAD ST!

Jallukola
#44 - 2015-03-26 10:59:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Jallukola
Jeremiah Saken wrote:
Jallukola wrote:

Too much Mordu's, too little native Caldari, trash material.

Mordu's ships are flat, more like SR-71 blackbird.
Jackdaw:
-hull made of rectangles - check
-antennas - check
-missile boat - check
-shield tanked - check
-i don't give a s*** how it looks until its effective - check. Caldari in every aspect. Continuation of new recons designs.
Stances are weird, i cannot imagine where those middle "wings" fold. Alongside the hull? Is it raw version?

Dunno, Caldari ships still tend to have that roundness in them, softening the otherwise blocky shapes coupled with distinctive electronics system. They are very modern-looking, or atleast near future, from the perspective of mechanical design, which is why I love them.

This Jackdaw on the other hand? Looks like a tin-coated tampoon machined in a lathe, or quite possibly CNC mill. Too flat shapes.
EDIT: Just like that Mordu's cruiser and battleship, forgot their name, and frankly those ships are not worth remembering anyways.

All posts and mails screencapped and time stamped, including out of EVE, you will not reverse on me.

Might come in handy!

Dana Goodeye
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#45 - 2015-04-22 15:54:03 UTC
i like the looks of most of the cald ships. but this one... its not even looks like a ship =P but i like the gal one =) and its need to have drones. the best gal ships has drones. 3 like the comet has would be sufficient. and i want quafe skin for it for free -.-
J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2015-04-22 16:01:25 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
I saw the Hecate stats, and fell in like.


I saw the Hecate design, and fell in love.


That ship.. I shall name it 'Jessica Alba'.



^my fan!

\o/
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#47 - 2015-04-23 02:04:21 UTC
Ned Thomas wrote:
Found an early concept image of the Hecate.

Here's a later draft image.
Sha'Do Khan
Pirate Nomads
#48 - 2015-04-25 03:09:13 UTC
I'll cast my vote. I'm not a fan of the Jackdaw. I looks like an old short-wave antenna, or maybe a cell tower on it's side.
I really don't like the new trend of all the fragile looking antenna sticking out in all directions.

It wasn't that bad when it was only the Mordu ships, it gave them a unique look, but now it's leaking into the other races.

Welcome to EVE - EVE is not a game - Adapt or die.

Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#49 - 2015-04-25 03:30:39 UTC
Err, I really like how the Jackdaw looks. Crap name though.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2015-04-25 03:42:44 UTC
Jallukola wrote:
Jeremiah Saken wrote:
Jallukola wrote:

Too much Mordu's, too little native Caldari, trash material.

Mordu's ships are flat, more like SR-71 blackbird.
Jackdaw:
-hull made of rectangles - check
-antennas - check
-missile boat - check
-shield tanked - check
-i don't give a s*** how it looks until its effective - check. Caldari in every aspect. Continuation of new recons designs.
Stances are weird, i cannot imagine where those middle "wings" fold. Alongside the hull? Is it raw version?

Dunno, Caldari ships still tend to have that roundness in them, softening the otherwise blocky shapes coupled with distinctive electronics system. They are very modern-looking, or atleast near future, from the perspective of mechanical design, which is why I love them.

This Jackdaw on the other hand? Looks like a tin-coated tampoon machined in a lathe, or quite possibly CNC mill. Too flat shapes.
EDIT: Just like that Mordu's cruiser and battleship, forgot their name, and frankly those ships are not worth remembering anyways.

I can't think of many pre or post redesign Caldari ships that were high on roundness, though I may be misunderstanding your use of the word. I have to say I like it all thinks considered, but It's not quite as appealing a design as some of the pre-mordu designs felt to me. Things like the Naga or Corax, even the Raven and Scorp seemed to have a better feel to them IMHO.

But I'll still train and buy one cause it still looks cool.
Specia1 K
State War Academy
Caldari State
#51 - 2015-04-25 05:07:40 UTC
I predict that with the crappy name, walking-stick looks and current state of LMs that the Jackdawf will be the least used of all the D3s. It will also come pre-nerfed (unlike the first 2 releases) and will suffer a dismal future upon the release of the Gallente ship. As much as I try and train my Caldari ships, I will hold out for the last ship release.

Champion of the Knights of the General Discussion

Thunderdome

Cetan Bennu
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2015-04-26 05:41:46 UTC
Iroquoiss Pliskin wrote:
Veri naise.

Gallente one looks quee-r. But it's Gallente. Smile Caldari is the coolest of them all - some sort of terran satellite/deep space probe. Would even train the dreadful train missiles to fly one. Cool


the Caldari looks like shipping crates welded together with some scaffolding left over
Mario Putzo
#53 - 2015-04-26 05:57:40 UTC
When can we expect super talwar to make an appearance anyway?
Hipqo
Tyde8
#54 - 2015-04-26 06:28:48 UTC
Ned Thomas wrote:
Vaju Enki wrote:
Tactical destroyers are OP. Power creep is bad.


It isn't power creep. It's "these ships do something new and people are too lazy to adjust apparently".


More like "these ships make an entire class of ships obsolete".
Its heavy powercreep alright, and thats why CCP is nerfing them now.

A life is best lived, to not step into your grave in a well preserved body. Instead, to slide in side ways, all battered and bruised, screamming, "Holy SH**! What a ride!"

Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#55 - 2015-04-26 11:14:18 UTC
Hipqo wrote:
Ned Thomas wrote:
Vaju Enki wrote:
Tactical destroyers are OP. Power creep is bad.


It isn't power creep. It's "these ships do something new and people are too lazy to adjust apparently".


More like "these ships make an entire class of ships obsolete".
Its heavy powercreep alright, and thats why CCP is nerfing them now.


The velocity nerf and mass adjustment, true. Rest is not quite a nerf in my view. Just 10mn is becoming quite hard to fit, but more utility might turn out to be nice.
Going for the supposed king of the frig scene: AFs are crap, dictors are normally gimped for bubbling and sometimes cloak. No wonder full combat fitted T3ds appear strong. With how the new iteration on sisi feels, they gonna be almost as strong as the worm still.
Elyia Suze Nagala
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2015-04-28 10:37:38 UTC
When is the Jackdaw coming out? It's not in the Mosaic patch notes!?!?? WTF?

I summon a DEV to explain the atrocity!
Hipqo
Tyde8
#57 - 2015-04-28 14:01:49 UTC
Lloyd Roses wrote:
Hipqo wrote:
Ned Thomas wrote:
Vaju Enki wrote:
Tactical destroyers are OP. Power creep is bad.


It isn't power creep. It's "these ships do something new and people are too lazy to adjust apparently".


More like "these ships make an entire class of ships obsolete".
Its heavy powercreep alright, and thats why CCP is nerfing them now.


The velocity nerf and mass adjustment, true. Rest is not quite a nerf in my view. Just 10mn is becoming quite hard to fit, but more utility might turn out to be nice.
Going for the supposed king of the frig scene: AFs are crap, dictors are normally gimped for bubbling and sometimes cloak. No wonder full combat fitted T3ds appear strong. With how the new iteration on sisi feels, they gonna be almost as strong as the worm still.


With the amount of minuses theres on the patch notes, i simply dont understand why you dont see it as a nerf, a well needed nerf.
But thats another talk :)

All im saying is, as long as the t3 destroyers will dominate frigs, its powercreep, as it gives frig pilots a unfair disadvantage in combat. One which wasnt here before and by doing so CCP decides, for us, that frigs are not worth training for anymore, unless you really want covert ops.

A life is best lived, to not step into your grave in a well preserved body. Instead, to slide in side ways, all battered and bruised, screamming, "Holy SH**! What a ride!"

Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#58 - 2015-04-28 14:09:31 UTC
Pediculus Humanus wrote:
Ned Thomas wrote:
Vaju Enki wrote:
Tactical destroyers are OP. Power creep is bad.


It isn't power creep. It's "these ships do something new and people are too lazy to adjust apparently".


Sadly, t3 destroyers are stupidly overpowered. The two we got so far make the whole AF class useless, no matter if solo or gang. It's not that AFs were awesome before t3 dessies got introduced, but at least they were kinda-sorta-useful. Also, many cruisers and battlecruisers seem crap compared to t3 dessies.

Yes, I am using t3 dessies
No, I haven't died horribly to t3 dessies (haven't died to them even once, actually).
Yes, this is a forum alt.
T3 dessies need a nerf.

I think.T3 destroyers only seem super powerful because t1 and 2 destroyers are do pathetically weak. T1 destroyers are barely capable of overpowering a single t1 frigate, routinely lose against T2 and faction frigates and die almost instantly against cruisers. T2 destroyers are barely any different.

Then you get to T3s which are actually capable of curbstomping frigates with relative ease.

Personally I'd rather see other destroyers buffed into line with T3 destroyers than see T3 destroyers nerfed into mediocrity.
Cpt Bunny
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#59 - 2015-04-28 14:20:03 UTC
This is power creep for sure, but i believe there is purpose and direction behind it.

Picture this:

Future release of T3 BC, BS etc
Shortly after CCP makes eve free to play, for all Tech 1 ships and modules.


Ares Desideratus
UNSAFE SPACE
#60 - 2015-05-15 02:53:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Ares Desideratus
Vimsy Vortis wrote:

I think.T3 destroyers only seem super powerful because t1 and 2 destroyers are do pathetically weak. T1 destroyers are barely capable of overpowering a single t1 frigate, routinely lose against T2 and faction frigates and die almost instantly against cruisers. T2 destroyers are barely any different.

Then you get to T3s which are actually capable of curbstomping frigates with relative ease.

Personally I'd rather see other destroyers buffed into line with T3 destroyers than see T3 destroyers nerfed into mediocrity.

The tech three destroyers are definitely not op. I think compared to tech one cruisers, they have their strengths and their weaknesses. Tech one cruisers can get the same job done just as well, most of the time. But there are places a tech three destroyer can go that a tech one cruiser just can't. They seem pretty balanced to me.

I agree about the other destroyers though. I'd like to see the tech one destroyers get a small speed boost. The way I look at it, when a tech one cruiser is faster than a tech one destroyer, that's pretty messed up, especially when you consider just how much faster they actually are. A tech one Omen with a MWD goes 2,000 m/s. A tech one Coercer with a MWD goes 1,700 m/s. That's crazy considering the Coercer can't field anywhere near the same level of tank or damage of an Omen. I think a small speed boost to the tech one destroyers would be perfect. Maybe bump the Coercer up from 1,700 to 1,800 or even 1,900 m/s. Possibly a small boost to their hit points as well? I know it's dangerous to go around boosting things but tech one destroyers really could use a small bit of love I think.

As for the tech two destroyers, I think those are pretty well balanced actually.