These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Can't believe Off Grid Boosting is still around. Srsly?

First post
Author
kraken11 jensen
ROOKS AND KRAKENS
#241 - 2015-03-21 19:52:35 UTC
Darth Virpio wrote:
Brutus Le'montac wrote:
guys easy now, you are plugging the pipe with all those sweet salty tears.

anyways, offgrid boost is fine as it is. either train your own ogb up, or get friends with one, and stop crying.
its a perfectly valid mechanic, that anyone can reach if they train for it, nothing p2w, it gives a small edge, so what, you can get the same edge if you wish, instead of training for one you come here showering everyone in your buttmad tears.no wonder you stay mad, invest the time spewing on the forums towards making your own ogb.

and if ogb needs to be ongrid, how about we force rorquals and orca's on grid aswell eh? that a good idea? no?why not?
i bet i know the answer, cuz your little pesky ubercute mining fleets are at risk then to angry mean pvpers.
its not having a cake and eating it to, and thats what most of you seem to want.

HTFU was it right?
maybe this time take it seriously, cuz you are all a bunch of whiney babies.

As far as I can see reading through this thread, the 'tears' here are coming from the supporters of the OGB system who seem petrified that they may, at some point in the future, lose them - or at least have the system altered to a point where they may have to change their playstyles. The only justifications being put forward seem to be "Well use one yourself and stop whining" which is about as stupid an argument as you can get. If you can't work out why its stupid then you have some logical thinking deficiency that probably needs some attention. Whichever way you cut it, its pay to win - plain and simple - and pay to win has no place in Eve. It is a factor, with the PLEX system, but it shouldn't be encouraged. Remember the lashback when CCP tried to install that model? That shows the strength of feeling in the community around that sort of mechanic.
I have an OGB alt, but only really use it when when up against another gang/player who is using boosts. Partly for the gameplay and partly because dual-boxing is a pain in the ass (even if its only to switch boosts on) - I would probably use it more if you actually had to be in the fight - which makes a lot of sense to me. Why wouldn't you want to be in the action!

First off, I got no OBG account/alt/character or whatever, But I accept that's its an part off the game, and since I don't have any OGB alt, doesn't mean that I cant support OGB or not.

(I don't accuse anyone off saying anything, but I accept it even when fighting people who use it)
per
Terpene Conglomerate
#242 - 2015-03-21 20:20:56 UTC
op +1
Kallen Kozukie
Channel Six News
#243 - 2015-03-22 03:15:47 UTC
Either train for one yourself and run them yourself, have someone else in the corp do it, or have an alt do it. Don't want to ? why not? is it TOO BORING to sit and run links? that could be a reason why people use alts....

You failing to take advantage of the system in place is no one else's fault. You can slap 1-2 links on a command ship and fly it into combat if you wanted to, they arn't fragile ships, just not solo wtfpwnmobile boats.

They are not mandatory, its simply better to have them if you can. I fail to see how whining and complaining for ccp to "nerf" it helps anyone. The options are there but refusing to use them is ignorant.

Things were way worse when they could be ran inside a pos.

All this talk of them being mandatory are just as false, plenty of folks don't use them or at least not all the time. Sometimes it's not feasable to try and sneak a booster in.

Are we going to start crying about implants now because they give an advantage? It comes down to this, if your enemy is more prepared than you, that is no ones fault but your own, this whole Solo play honor concept means nothing in a community based pvp game, these are not arena's where everyone is wearing the same gear and its always an even fight.
Arronicus
Madness Unchained
#244 - 2015-03-22 06:11:44 UTC
Budda Kuha wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Both fleets in an engagement can use OGB.

I find it difficult to see the 'risk free advantage' here.

Mr Epeen Cool

You're missing the point. Not everybody is willing or able to run a booster. Forcing people to run a second account to compete in small scale or solo pvp is a huge turn off. Furthermore the sheer existance of ogb penalizes players who like fast paced, spontanious and mobile pvp. It caters to risk-averse stationary pvp. For inherent logical reasons that decreases the total number of fights happening which equals to: bad for EVE pvp which equals to: Bad mechanic being bad for EVE. It's really as simple as that. The question remains: Why doesn't CCP take action?

You're missing the point. If someone isn't willing or able to run a booster, they shouldn't have that advantage. There is absolutely nothing 'risk free' about it, it's low risk, but it is additional effort, and you can be probed down and VERY easily killed.
hammerdick 7
Perkone
Caldari State
#245 - 2015-03-28 13:55:01 UTC
Its literally a mechanic for the casual players who are not good at the game to get an advantage by paying money. it doesnt help nullsec alliances or big fleet fights because both sides have links anyways. just remove links from the game.
Saede Riordan
Alexylva Paradox
#246 - 2015-03-28 14:07:12 UTC
I have perfect leadership skills and trained all the boosts. I like links quite a lot, I wish I could fit links on more ships. The issue with balancing around links is entirely related to offgrid boosting, otherwise links are balanced just fine by the SP/PG/CPU/slot requirements to fitting one. If boosting was on grid only, it'd be extra good too, because then you could possibly even look at having like, link destroyers running with frigate fleets.
Natalia Abre-Kai
#247 - 2015-03-28 16:58:44 UTC
hammerdick 7 wrote:
Its literally a mechanic for the casual players who are not good at the game to get an advantage by paying money. it doesnt help nullsec alliances or big fleet fights because both sides have links anyways. just remove links from the game.

Confirming. Only "casuals" use links. Roll
Anonymous Forumposter
State War Academy
Caldari State
#248 - 2015-03-29 02:50:13 UTC
Budda Kuha wrote:
ignorance filled rant

The reasons it's still around is because it's not yet possible to get rid of it. In order to understand this, you'd need to understand the dire situation the server code has been in for a very long time. They are making efforts to fix it. It's just taking a very long time because there's no point putting fragile band aids on it and to do it right takes time.

It's not, as you so ignorantly portrayed it, a design choice. It's a technical limitation that they're working to overcome.
kraken11 jensen
ROOKS AND KRAKENS
#249 - 2015-03-29 10:32:38 UTC
hammerdick 7 wrote:

And an player can use money to buy plex to then sell it to afford and high sp character on bazaar. beaing able to use items/modules to their full extent. and sp is risk free (unless t3 crusier) and give an huge advantage. And some off the best players I know use links. (not always) but they at least they accept the tools/things that they can use. and eve cost money monthly. and if you pay more off course you should be able to train on another account. and anyway, eve is not fair.
Veld God
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#250 - 2015-03-30 01:59:08 UTC
Carrie-Anne Moss wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Carrie-Anne Moss wrote:
Ummm dont you think 10-30 ships SHOULD DIE IN SECONDS to 900 ships?? Lol

The fact that 10-30 can last more than seconds against such odds is proof it is unlabanced.

Haha, no.

Look at how many small gangs come to catch for good fights and end up against larger Brave fleets, or third-partying into fights you guys are having already.

Piloting skill means a lot more than links in those situations. Go and watch a couple of the Chessur videos on YouTube for good examples of that exact situation.

We used to do the same in Barlequet before you took sov. 200 in system and we would snipe with kiting rails fits and everyone had a great time (without links too).

Chessur is leet, yet flies billion isk ships with drugs and OFFGRID BOOSTERS lol thats the whole point dude. Wtf?

Indeed. I alway lol about all that "Leet" Youtube PvP Heros, who would win not nearly 90 percent of their fights without OGB´s ;)

Big Mike would have not won one single fight in his Kiting Battleships without offgrid boost etc usw.

Jallukola
#251 - 2015-03-30 06:24:07 UTC
Natalia Abre-Kai wrote:
hammerdick 7 wrote:

What makes you think EVE was a "hardcore" game in the first place?

All posts and mails screencapped and time stamped, including out of EVE, you will not reverse on me.

Might come in handy!

Pok Nibin
Doomheim
#252 - 2015-03-30 06:36:39 UTC
It's too hard for CCP to fix. They'd need 21st Century coding, and they prefer to work with antiques.

The right to free speech doesn't automatically carry with it the right to be taken seriously.

Natalia Abre-Kai
#253 - 2015-03-30 06:48:55 UTC
Jallukola wrote:
Natalia Abre-Kai wrote:
hammerdick 7 wrote:

What makes you think EVE was a "hardcore" game in the first place?

Whoosh.
Tia Aves
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#254 - 2015-03-31 12:29:52 UTC
On one hand I hate off grid links - I mean you go 1v1 against something that you perceive to have a reasonable chance of killing and get trounced. I do not have a link alt and I would say I have been in maybe 20 fleets in my entire EVE career that has used them.

But on the other hand...
- That same target could not have links and be using implants / drugs / deadspace fittings and still roll me. Or even for that matter he could just have better skills. Navigation support skills for example can be the difference between winning easily or getting rolled badly. You and I are free to have all of these things but for different reasons we don't all have them. I don't fit deadspace mods because I don't rat enough for ISK, I don't have perfect support skills because I keep training useless **** like BLOPS and I don't have an off grid booster because in most cases it's more hassle than its worth.

- You could always just scan the link boat down, or use tornadoes or something to alpha it off a station or gate. Don't tell me it's impossible my scanning alt can get them without Virtues. Even if you don't get the kill pressuring it to warp means no links active. It's exactly the same if someone brings a Falcon - you might not kill it but you have to apply pressure to force it from doing its job.

- You could get smart and flag / identify link boats within your corporation or alliance. This works really well and after a few weeks you can generally identify who is using what links in a certain area and can avoid them if need be. Don't tell me that this discourages PvP for solo and small gangs because at the end of the day a 40 man Ishtar gang with logi discourages PvP if you are not in a gang of a similar size and composition. I probably see as many Ishtar gangs on a typical evening as I do link boats in low sec.

- If you are insistent on being completely solo then you cannot complain at all because at the end of the day someone with friends is always going to win (with some reasonable assumptions made).

- Remove them and the pilots who use them are just going to use alternative methods. Someone in my regular roaming area often uses a Gila or Worm with Tengu links. Please tell me that by replacing his OGB with another Gila or something like a Falcon alt is going to be easier to kill than the single DPS with boosts. Even if this guy went without his alt altogether his Worm is still going to destroy my Tristan so what do?

At the end of the day it's another tool at a pilot or fleet's disposal. It is annoying getting destroyed by a linked pilot but it is nowhere near as rage inducing as watching someone's ECM alt uncloak when you land in a plex.
Budda Kuha
Buster Blade
#255 - 2015-03-31 14:55:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Budda Kuha
Tia Aves wrote:
On one hand I hate off grid links - I mean you go 1v1 against something that you perceive to have a reasonable chance of killing and get trounced. I do not have a link alt and I would say I have been in maybe 20 fleets in my entire EVE career that has used them.

But on the other hand...
- That same target could not have links and be using implants / drugs / deadspace fittings and still roll me. Or even for that matter he could just have better skills. Navigation support skills for example can be the difference between winning easily or getting rolled badly. You and I are free to have all of these things but for different reasons we don't all have them. I don't fit deadspace mods because I don't rat enough for ISK, I don't have perfect support skills because I keep training useless **** like BLOPS and I don't have an off grid booster because in most cases it's more hassle than its worth.

- You could always just scan the link boat down, or use tornadoes or something to alpha it off a station or gate. Don't tell me it's impossible my scanning alt can get them without Virtues. Even if you don't get the kill pressuring it to warp means no links active. It's exactly the same if someone brings a Falcon - you might not kill it but you have to apply pressure to force it from doing its job.

- You could get smart and flag / identify link boats within your corporation or alliance. This works really well and after a few weeks you can generally identify who is using what links in a certain area and can avoid them if need be. Don't tell me that this discourages PvP for solo and small gangs because at the end of the day a 40 man Ishtar gang with logi discourages PvP if you are not in a gang of a similar size and composition. I probably see as many Ishtar gangs on a typical evening as I do link boats in low sec.

- If you are insistent on being completely solo then you cannot complain at all because at the end of the day someone with friends is always going to win (with some reasonable assumptions made).

- Remove them and the pilots who use them are just going to use alternative methods. Someone in my regular roaming area often uses a Gila or Worm with Tengu links. Please tell me that by replacing his OGB with another Gila or something like a Falcon alt is going to be easier to kill than the single DPS with boosts. Even if this guy went without his alt altogether his Worm is still going to destroy my Tristan so what do?

At the end of the day it's another tool at a pilot or fleet's disposal. It is annoying getting destroyed by a linked pilot but it is nowhere near as rage inducing as watching someone's ECM alt uncloak when you land in a plex.

You don't really get solo pvp. Speed is essential, kiting is the most viable tactic and this is as it should be -you should be forced to use guerrilla tactics when fighting superior numbers. When you do, several targets are easier to fight than even one linked tackler. Adding a layer of useless meta to small scale pvp where you are forced to bring scanning alts, your own links etc just makes pvp slow and favors passive, stational and risk averse behaviour. This also makes the barrier to participate in pvp even higher without adding anything interesting and that's never a good thing.

There is hope though. According to this brain in a box could be finished late summer btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT6ddbIJRtg

That means that the clock for the removal of ogb is probably, hopefully ticking.
kraken11 jensen
ROOKS AND KRAKENS
#256 - 2015-03-31 15:18:18 UTC
Budda Kuha wrote:
Tia Aves wrote:

But on the other hand...

You don't really undertstand solo pvp. Speed is essential, kitng is the most viable tactic and this is as it should be -you should be forced to use guerrilla tactics when fighting superior numbers. When you do, several targets are easier to fight than even one linked tackler. Adding a layer of useless meta to small scale pvp where you are forced to bring scanning alts, your own links etc just make pvp slow and favor passive, stational and risk averse behaviour. This als maked the barrier to participate in pvp even higher.

Well, you're not forced to have an scanning charter, if you want that ''solo pvp'' then go outside an station and duel people. or get some friends to have an duel against you. and kiting is one off the most viable, if not the most viable tactic. and that's correct. And as I said. you're not forced to do anything. Also, as I said earlier... Sp is the biggest bonus compare to risk because there is none (as long you don't use t3 cruisers) and there is skills witch give so huge bonuses each level, and compare to people who don't have it is an huge bonus. And what i want to say is, come and look at hero fleets. links or not. we fight. we got people who fight people with links (and they do indeed not have them itself a lot off the times) i have managed to catch an linked ortherus with an cyclone. (no links) and the biggest reward at the lowest risk (non existent) is sp, so yeah. (Sp > links) <- personally. (i might have written some words wrongly here and probably have to edit to fix my terrible spelling)
Budda Kuha
Buster Blade
#257 - 2015-03-31 15:26:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Budda Kuha
kraken11 jensen wrote:
Budda Kuha wrote:
Tia Aves wrote:

But on the other hand...

You don't really undertstand solo pvp. Speed is essential, kitng is the most viable tactic and this is as it should be -you should be forced to use guerrilla tactics when fighting superior numbers. When you do, several targets are easier to fight than even one linked tackler. Adding a layer of useless meta to small scale pvp where you are forced to bring scanning alts, your own links etc just make pvp slow and favor passive, stational and risk averse behaviour. This als maked the barrier to participate in pvp even higher.

Well, you're not forced to have an scanning charter, if you want that ''solo pvp'' then go outside an station and duel people. or get some friends to have an duel against you. and kiting is one off the most viable, if not the most viable tactic. and that's correct. And as I said. you're not forced to do anything. Also, as I said earlier... Sp is the biggest bonus compare to risk because there is none (as long you don't use t3 cruisers) and there is skills witch give so huge bonuses each level, and compare to people who don't have it is an huge bonus. And what i want to say is, come and look at hero fleets. links or not. we fight. we got people who fight people with links (and they do indeed not have them itself a lot off the times) i have managed to catch an linked ortherus with an cyclone. (no links) and the biggest reward at the lowest risk (non existent) is sp, so yeah. (Sp > links) <- personally. (i might have written some words wrongly here and probably have to edit to fix my terrible spelling)

Let me sum this up: In your opinion everbyody who doesn't run links should just restrict himself to friendly duels at stations in order to preserve a useless, tedious mechanic. Problem solved and surely this will be good for subscription numbers! On a more serious note: Do you see the problem now?
kraken11 jensen
ROOKS AND KRAKENS
#258 - 2015-04-01 13:53:26 UTC
Budda Kuha wrote:
kraken11 jensen wrote:
Budda Kuha wrote:
Tia Aves wrote:

But on the other hand...

Let me sum this up: In your opinion everbyody who doesn't run links should just restrict himself to friendly duels at stations in order to preserve a useless, tedious mechanic. Problem solved and surely this will be good for subscription numbers! On a more serious note: Do you see the problem now?

I didn't say that as far as I know. and there is nothing that keep you away fighting people with links. and it's not useless. and the only one restricting this is yourself, ccp, the game limits, and your wallet. you can go out there and fight anyone. links or not, it doesn't meant that you're going to win. and if you would restrict yourself to not fight people who use links. then that's an restriction that you set yourself.

(I by an mistake deleted with what I was going to respond with, so I just wrote up an quick response because I didn't want to write it all again) (also idk) PirateLolCoolShocked
Baali Tekitsu
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#259 - 2015-04-01 14:50:10 UTC
Its as if all people argueing against links forgot that you can simply choose not to fight that linked garmur doing 8k/s. Its often more than obvious that people are using links.

The mechanic itself should definatly be brought on grid though ASAP, there is basically no difference between them and skynet.

RATE LIKE SUBSCRIBE