These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Scylla] Ishtars

First post First post
Author
Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#181 - 2015-03-01 21:38:20 UTC
What if sentry ceased to have incredible tracking, what if they required their owner to remain close to them (10km) to properly function?

As it stands currently, a ~17% nerf is plainly ridiculous.

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#182 - 2015-03-02 01:02:50 UTC
An unpopular thought but here it is since a DEV asked for thoughts..

Nerf this, drop that, reduce something else some or all of these MAY help in PvP but any or all of the would trash the Ishtar as a PvE ship.

I have said this in many threads on this topic, remove the ability to assign drones to assist another ship.
And remove the aggressive mode.
Both of these require the Ishtar itself to stay on the battle field to actively control it's drones making it more vulnerable.
When combined with the reduced hit points and damage coming in the next release these would be the next logical step to take.
Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#183 - 2015-03-02 01:30:47 UTC
It's not enough but it's a start

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

AspiB'elt
Les chevaliers de l'ordre
Goonswarm Federation
#184 - 2015-03-02 07:26:09 UTC  |  Edited by: AspiB'elt
Hi CCP Rise

About balancing on the ishtar.

I am not very happy about them. Because you don't correct the main problem.

I explain to you.

When you have a fleet of ishtar you have already enough alpha to kill bs. If you remove some part of the damage bonus on sentry. You still have the alpha to kill BS ( a little less dps but still enough).

Where is the problem with sentry and isthar ?

The problem are you can launch sentry and go away. With your balance you don't change the main problem. It's still possible to do that.

Pls. Make this modification and all sentry.

Sentry control range 10 km.

You can still shoot at X km (depend the type of sentry). But if the position of your ship is more then 10 km you lose the control on sentry drone.

In this case you cannot launch sentry and go away.

Quote:

Curator II

Structure Hitpoints 1,728 HP

Inertia Modifier 0.001 x

Mass 12,000 kg

Volume 25 m3

Rate of fire 4 s

Damage Modifier 1.56 x

EM damage 50 HP

Activation proximity 250 km

Accuracy falloff 24 km

Tech Level 2 Level

Signature Resolution 400 m

Meta Level 5 Level

Base Shield Damage 50

Base Armor Damage 20

Optimal Range 42 km

Drone control Range 10 km

Trackingspeed / Accuracy 0.024 rad/sec

Max Locked Targets 8

RADAR Sensor Strength 22.5 points

LADAR Sensor Strength 22.5 points

Magnetometric Sensor Strength 22.5 points

Gravimetric Sensor Strength 22.5 points

Signature Radius 100 m

Recharge time 2500 s

Capacitor Capacity 1 GJ

Shield Capacity 537 HP

Shield Em Damage Resistance 0 %

Shield Explosive Damage Resistance 60 %

Shield Kinetic Damage Resistance 40 %

Shield Thermal Damage Resistance 20 %

Shield recharge time 400 s

Armor Hitpoints 1,152 HP

Armor Em Damage Resistance 60 %

Armor Explosive Damage Reistance 10 %

Armor Kinetic Damage Resistance 25 %

Armor Thermal Damage Resistance 45 %

Bandwidth Needed 25 Mbit/sec
Tineoidea Asanari
Perkone
Caldari State
#185 - 2015-03-02 08:07:29 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
I have said this in many threads on this topic, remove the ability to assign drones to assist another ship.
And remove the aggressive mode.
Both of these require the Ishtar itself to stay on the battle field to actively control it's drones making it more vulnerable.
When combined with the reduced hit points and damage coming in the next release these would be the next logical step to take.

Both of these thoughts tell me you never fought with Ishtar something bigger than a rat.
Drones in fleets - or PvP in general - are passive, as you want to control who is attacked. And with the limitation of 25 drones per bunny, the usage of dronebunnys has mostly stopped at all. So 2 points you want to "remove" are points, that would have no effect at all.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#186 - 2015-03-02 10:41:38 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Would rather have seen the ishtar lose the sentries entirely.

This, my god I am actually agreeing with baltec1 on something...

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Canenald
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#187 - 2015-03-02 10:56:40 UTC
This sounded cool at first but the more I think about the sentry bonus nerf the more wrong it seems.

There's a whole class of ships called HACs to which Ishtar belongs. They are generally well balanced. Of all those ships, only the Ishtar is a problem. Why? Obviously the problem is in the weapons system it specializes in, the drones. They have versatility in damage type and range/dps ratio. They apply damage well with tracking bonuses and are very resistant to ewar compared to turrets and missile launchers. Their tracking is not influenced by ship's movement, allowing sig/speed tanking without ruining their damage application.

Now, sentries are the best drones because they don't have to travel around to apply their damage. Nerfing Ishtar's sentry bonus seems like a crude way to solve the problem. It's like curing the symptom. You're introducing an exception to a well balanced system just to nerf a weapon system which has clear advantages over the others. This can't lead to good things.

Rather than nerfing the bonus for specific type of drones, can't you do something about the bonus in general? Gurista faction ships have been rebalanced in a good way, giving bonus to only the drones of specific size. How about doing something similar for non-pirate t1 and t2 cruisers?

My idea is to make non-pirate drone cruisers give drone bonuses only to drones belonging to the same faction. Vexor and Ishtar would only give bonus to Hobgoblins, Hammerheads, Ogres and Gardes. Arbitrator would only give bonuses to Acolytes, Infitrators, Praetors and Curators. This would leave Vexors, VNIs and Ishtars as good brawling cruisers while also not nerfing their PVE role as high-dps, sig/speed tanking ships that can solo most things that can be soloed in PVE.

I wouldn't apply this to smaller drone boats because their limited drone capacity makes them not part of the sentry problem. Also, don't touch BCs and BSs because they already have limited PVP applications.
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#188 - 2015-03-02 13:02:33 UTC
This fixes nothing and only compounds the problem of "moar dudes = win".

Or the counter to an Ishtar fleet is still Ishtar +1
Samillian
Angry Mustellid
#189 - 2015-03-02 13:41:19 UTC
Aiyshimin wrote:
This will achieve the goal of making Ishtars less useful, but unfortunately does nothing to make other ships useful. Range and speed are overpowered in EVE, and only doctrines with damage projection and mobility work.

In other words, people will just use the next platform that outranges others while remaining mobile, leaving whole shipclasses gathering dust in hangars.

Sums up the problem, until this is addressed nothing will really change.

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#190 - 2015-03-02 13:48:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Don't have much to say about this except this question:
Why is it this company (that is known for heavy handed nerfing of everything in sight on the slightest whim) spending all this time (soon to be measured in YEARS) tip-toeing around Ishtars and Sentry Drones?
Julius Foederatus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#191 - 2015-03-02 15:15:30 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Why is it this company (that is known for heavy handed nerfing of everything in sight on the slightest whim) spending all this time (soon to be measured in YEARS) tip-toeing around Ishtars and Sentry Drones?

Probably because they changed drone bonuses specifically because drone ships were ******* useless in fleet and even in most small gang pvp situations, and they don't want to completely go back to those days. Incidentally, it's a sentiment I share.

I think if you just did a range and tracking nerf across the board on sentries (except Gardes), so that they couldn't really apply dps past 100km, except maybe with Wardens which have **** tracking, then you'd see less of a problem with people finding other ships to use in pvp situations. The problem with the Ishtar is it can hit out at too many different ranges. Wardens with 2x omnis hit out to 120km opt and almost 70km falloff. Those are numbers you can't get outside of the very top tier of BS sniper weapons, and those have absolutely abysmal tracking compared with the Warden's 0.024 on the Ishtar. One or both of these stats needs to be dialed down to be more or less in line with other weapons systems, although I do believe the drones should retain something of an edge since they're immobile and require a lot of risk to pick up, or extra drones in the hold to adapt to the battlefield.
Aiyshimin
Shiva Furnace
#192 - 2015-03-02 19:12:11 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

Probably because Ishtars really aren't that broken.
Liner Xiandra
Sparks Inc
#193 - 2015-03-02 19:19:24 UTC
Chiming in to say that nerfing damage does not address the problems that CCP Rise laid out in the devblog, namely:

CCP Rise's devblog wrote:

The problem: Ishtars are too good. They are squashing out diversity in several environments because of their excellent damage projection and solid survivability

Whereas
baltec1 wrote:
Would rather have seen the ishtar lose the sentries entirely.

This would at least address this.
Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#194 - 2015-03-02 20:05:20 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

cos they have stopped heavy nerfing these days, its more tiny nerfs over many patches at best or the odd little nerf and move on to something else and leave it neglected .

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#195 - 2015-03-02 20:12:30 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Cut sentry drone range by half.

not sure by half, gardes might be a little too short range at that point, but certainly reducing optimal range by a good 20% would make sense, gardes might need a little more falloff though, kind of what there doing too bouncers but all round.

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#196 - 2015-03-02 20:20:00 UTC
Harvey James wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

not sure by half, gardes might be a little too short range at that point, but certainly reducing optimal range by a good 20% would make sense, gardes might need a little more falloff though, kind of what there doing too bouncers but all round.

People use blasters and you are telling me a base opti of 15KM at all V for a garde II would not be enough?
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#197 - 2015-03-02 21:14:41 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Harvey James wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

People use blasters and you are telling me a base opti of 15KM at all V for a garde II would not be enough?

To be fair, those ranges are heavy drone territory.
Heinrich Rotwang
Spectre Fleet Corporation
#198 - 2015-03-02 22:29:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Heinrich Rotwang
How to balance sentries in a nutshell:

- one-size-fits-all sentries
+ small sentries
+ medium sentries
+ heavy sentries

Problem solved.

You are trying to achieve the same result by fiddling with the ship boni.

PS: and btw, the answer to the question, whether the problem of the Ishtar is in the ship or in the sentries, is: both. It's two unrelated problems that happen to be combined in the Ishtar when fielding sentries.
X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#199 - 2015-03-03 00:49:56 UTC
afkalt wrote:
To be fair, those ranges are heavy drone territory.
Apparently Gardes are for POS bashes, not mobile PvP.
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#200 - 2015-03-03 03:01:26 UTC
Tineoidea Asanari wrote:
Both of these thoughts tell me you never fought with Ishtar something bigger than a rat.
Drones in fleets - or PvP in general - are passive, as you want to control who is attacked. And with the limitation of 25 drones per bunny, the usage of dronebunnys has mostly stopped at all. So 2 points you want to "remove" are points, that would have no effect at all.

And you would be wrong. I not only fly the Ishtar as PvE but I have another character that flies logi in a PvP low sec corp and we NEVER have the troubles you all are talking about. Granted that we never face the fleet sizes that may show up in nul but we have still easily defeated fleets of up to 30 Ishtar plus support ships, and that does give me a solid base for understanding the Ishtar and it's uses.

All of that set aside if you would carefully read my post I did not say that my changes in combination with those recently announced "would" solve the problem I stated that it was "the next logical step." Because at the end of the day PvP and PvE pilots all share a common pool of ships and modules, and the needs of those PvE players MUST be considered in any changes that are made.
The reductions to control range, damage output, tracking and the rest if implemented would have a significantly larger impact on the Ishtar's use as a PvE ship than it would in the PvP environment.

In the end IF the more radical changes being proposed are required to achieve balance then so be it we will go down that path.
But for now small and incremental changes that have as little impact as possible on the legitimate PvE uses of the Ishtar / sentry drones need to be tried first and removing assist and aggressive mode are two of those low PvE impact possibilities.