These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Auto Repeat Dscan would be the best invention evahr!!

First post
Author
IGNATIUS HOOD
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#41 - 2011-12-02 21:56:20 UTC
Aina O'Sinnor wrote:
I support this idea. Hey this is a sci-fi game, a scanner running permanently is not that far fetched.

You tear harvesters starting to cry because numb rescanning gets easier for people? Go one step further, let a sound play when something new appears on DScan or make new entries bright green background which dissolves with every scan cycle, say after 10 seconds of scanning it's 'old' and not highlighted any more.

I'd also support putting local into delayed mode everywhere.

I concur but only if 'Deception' ECM is introduced into the game as well. If we have better ways to see who is about to screw us then the agressors should have better ways of making themselves look harmless.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."   --H.L. Mencken
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#42 - 2011-12-02 22:56:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Solstice Project
Why is there even a discussion about this ?

Too much server load.

Forget it !

AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDDDD ...

Everybody that's too stupid to press SCAN every few seconds needs to get his brain checked.

Hell, if people like you always got what they wanted,
there'd be nothing left to do in this game,
because everything would be either automated,
or so ******* easy that nobody would care anymore anyway !

It's EvE, harden the **** up you demanding, spoiled, stupid brats !
Kuronaga
Fatal Absolution
Bleeding Sun Conglomerate
#43 - 2011-12-02 23:03:33 UTC
Ingvar Angst wrote:
Aina O'Sinnor wrote:
I support this idea. Hey this is a sci-fi game, a scanner running permanently is not that far fetched.

You tear harvesters starting to cry because numb rescanning gets easier for people? Go one step further, let a sound play when something new appears on DScan or make new entries bright green background which dissolves with every scan cycle, say after 10 seconds of scanning it's 'old' and not highlighted any more.

I'd also support putting local into delayed mode everywhere.

Dude, I live in a hole. Making DScan automated would help me and I think it's a bad idea. No tears, no whines, just the simple fact that some areas of the game don't need to be over-simplified. DScan is an active means of intel gathering, not passive. You want the data, you actively click to get the data. If they automated it, turned it to a passive intel, it would have to be nerfed significantly to balance it.

So you think mashing click constantly to give you a competitive advantage makes you pro? Furthermore you believe that's good game design? No, it just makes it annoying. The only difference between a person who is actively clicking for intel and a person getting it automatically is that one of their fingers will be broken by the time they are 50.

If you wanted it harder for wormholes, maybe you should consider other balance options that work with auto-scan, such as simply decreasing the radius of effectiveness in a wormhole.

Although it's all a moot point anyway since, as stated, it would **** the server.
Proteus Maximus
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#44 - 2011-12-02 23:16:56 UTC
I just think its odd that in the futuristic universe of Eve the advanced craft we pilot have no active radar type systems. Just a manual scanner that done even have a graphics based read out. . really? They are modeled on plenty of ships. Even if the system only swept ten thousand kilometers.
I mean comon really

If Goons were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#45 - 2011-12-02 23:27:53 UTC
a radar. eve is a spaceshipgame without a radar.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Malkev
Deep Core Mining Inc.
#46 - 2011-12-02 23:36:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Malkev
Supported, but only if the auto mode's range is limited to .15AU.

Well, no, I don't support this anyways.

I've become so used to hitting d-scan that I end up mashing it constantly when I journey into k-space just out of habit.

Serial Chi wrote:
its all the needless clicking/strain it can put your fingers/hand after long periods of time.

Good god, you don't have a single callus on either of your hands do you?
007of009
Doomheim
#47 - 2011-12-02 23:46:13 UTC
I propose a radar that has a corresponding color assigned to every ship so when a fleet warps in its like a carebear rainbow............ No wait grow up and click the damn button, having it automated defeats its whole purpose and then they may as well add bloody local to WH's for more carebear fun. OP you should go back to mining 3 jumps from Jita.

Only one improvement i would like for dscan is it be hot key assignable.
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#48 - 2011-12-03 00:17:57 UTC
007of009 wrote:
I propose a radar that has a corresponding color assigned to every ship so when a fleet warps in its like a carebear rainbow............ No wait grow up and click the damn button, having it automated defeats its whole purpose and then they may as well add bloody local to WH's for more carebear fun. OP you should go back to mining 3 jumps from Jita.

you could glue black tape over the radar and keep clicking on the dscan list if you think this makes you a pro gamer or benefits the game as a whole.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#49 - 2011-12-03 00:51:21 UTC
Auto-scanning only if Local is removed.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Ris Dnalor
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2011-12-03 00:59:55 UTC
yes.

but only if you remove local and possibly limit the information given by dscan.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=118961

EvE = Everybody Vs. Everybody

• Qolde
Krios Ahzek
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#51 - 2011-12-03 01:02:21 UTC
007of009 wrote:

What the link between growing up and wanting to have an actual graphical radar with green pings (something which they figured out in the 1940s) ?

Though All Men Do Despise Us

Hecatonis
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#52 - 2011-12-03 01:20:30 UTC
Vachir Khan wrote:
I bet your bots would have it a lot easier if it was on auto repeat. (if you want, replace "bots" with "non-effort grinders", it's essentially the same thing anyway).

automation is always better for the people then the bots, why? because the bots are already automating the actions. the bot doesnt care if it has one more task to do per second, it just does it.

although i could care less if d-scan working like this, your statement is flawed
Ingvar Angst
Nasty Pope Holding Corp
#53 - 2011-12-03 02:31:22 UTC
Kuronaga wrote:

So you think mashing click constantly to give you a competitive advantage makes you pro? Furthermore you believe that's good game design? No, it just makes it annoying. The only difference between a person who is actively clicking for intel and a person getting it automatically is that one of their fingers will be broken by the time they are 50.

If you wanted it harder for wormholes, maybe you should consider other balance options that work with auto-scan, such as simply decreasing the radius of effectiveness in a wormhole.

Although it's all a moot point anyway since, as stated, it would **** the server.

You mash click? Maybe that's your problem... you're doing it wrong. Just gentle, absent-minded clicks every few seconds and you're good to go.

Six months in the hole... it changes a man.

Dalloway Jones
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#54 - 2011-12-03 03:28:34 UTC
It should be like in any spaceship movie I have ever seen. When a hostile ship comes into grid you should have the option to have an alarm bell start ringing without sitting there and mind numbingly hitting a button over and over.
Psychophantic
#55 - 2011-12-03 03:40:35 UTC
Nice idea.

Vehemently opposed by all those already using dscan hack/injection thing.
Nex apparatu5
Blackwood Co.
#56 - 2011-12-03 03:52:54 UTC
Two words. Server Load. There'd be no reason to fly with it off
Serena Wilde
State War Academy
Caldari State
#57 - 2011-12-03 03:57:14 UTC
I would like to see it as an automated "ping" much like sonar/radar. You could set the distance/angle and this would determine the speed at which it "repeats" .

A 360 degree angle with max range means that it would take a while before it repeats, while a close range, narrow angle would be very quick, relatively. Maybe have modules to alter the speed and range, or to disrupt it as well. I would rather have that then the constant repetative clicking of dscan...
Ingvar Angst
Nasty Pope Holding Corp
#58 - 2011-12-03 04:04:04 UTC
Psychophantic wrote:
Nice idea.

Vehemently opposed by all those already using dscan hack/injection thing.

The what?

Ingvar Angst
Nasty Pope Holding Corp
#59 - 2011-12-03 04:08:58 UTC
Serena Wilde wrote:
I would like to see it as an automated "ping" much like sonar/radar. You could set the distance/angle and this would determine the speed at which it "repeats" .

A 360 degree angle with max range means that it would take a while before it repeats, while a close range, narrow angle would be very quick, relatively. Maybe have modules to alter the speed and range, or to disrupt it as well. I would rather have that then the constant repetative clicking of dscan...

This would basically kill people. I take the time and effort to click as often as felt needed depending on the situation, and more often than not DScan keeps me informed with enough intel to determine the proper course of action. Your system... having it not at full 360 max range would be foolish in a fully three dimensional environment. The slowness, which would be much slower than I manually use it without doubt, would kill people.

You can't have delays. You need info at the click. A snapshot of *now*, not a sit-there-and-wait-for-it kind of thing. If I want to hold that snapshot in order to share intel, I should have that option... not have an automated system remove it.

You're trying to break something you don't understand. This would be a good time to stop.

Serena Wilde
State War Academy
Caldari State
#60 - 2011-12-03 04:34:25 UTC
Ingvar Angst wrote:
Serena Wilde wrote:

This would basically kill people. I take the time and effort to click as often as felt needed depending on the situation, and more often than not DScan keeps me informed with enough intel to determine the proper course of action. Your system... having it not at full 360 max range would be foolish in a fully three dimensional environment. The slowness, which would be much slower than I manually use it without doubt, would kill people.

You can't have delays. You need info at the click. A snapshot of *now*, not a sit-there-and-wait-for-it kind of thing. If I want to hold that snapshot in order to share intel, I should have that option... not have an automated system remove it.

You're trying to break something you don't understand. This would be a good time to stop.

And who's to say that you can't have both? I can't see how this would "kill people" any more than not paying attention to dscan right now. If I'm paying attention to my radar, I would catch a "ping" at a moment in time, whether that be a ship or scan probes or what have you, thus I would have warning, at which point I could respond appropriately. My "system" as you put it, was simply an springboard of an idea. It could be expanded upon or altered as needed. ie. Have it in a "sphere" around your ship in the center, with an alterable distance. You can have skills/modules that affect this distance and the speed of pings, as well as the accuracy of information presented.

Right now, Dscan and Local are too "perfect" There is no real "falsifying" of information, to fool an enemy you are sneaking up on, or to hide from an enemy searching for you. I would like to see that change, so that it would actually take skill to track someone down, and it would also take skill to hide from an enemy. As well, jumping into system you wouldn't know exactly how many people are in system, nor would you be able to tell for sure exactly what ships were in system. You would need specialized ships/equipment for that (a reason for actual "intel gathering")

Maybe instead of shooting down ideas with negativity, you can offer solutions and ways that it could work...?