These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Auto Repeat Dscan would be the best invention evahr!!

First post
Author
Widemouth Deepthroat
Pink Sockers
#21 - 2011-12-01 17:38:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Widemouth Deepthroat
Would be awesome imo if they finally nerfed 0.0 local and brought in a totally redesigned d-scanner.

Give it a mode where it auto scans but is lower range and you can't pick up probes (or not?).

Give it a mode that can pick up cloaked ships but scan takes much longer to complete.

So many interesting things they could do.
Ingvar Angst
Nasty Pope Holding Corp
#22 - 2011-12-01 17:40:13 UTC
Widemouth Deepthroat wrote:
Would be awesome imo if they finally nerfed 0.0 local and brought in a totally redesigned d-scanner.

Give it a mode where it auto scans but is lower range and you can't pick up probes.

Give it a mode that can pick up cloaked ships but scan takes much longer to complete.

So many interesting things they could do.

Breaking cloaks by allowing them to be scanned is stupid on so many levels and breaks a lot of aspects of the game.

Six months in the hole... it changes a man.

Widemouth Deepthroat
Pink Sockers
#23 - 2011-12-01 17:42:37 UTC
The only thing it would break is afk cloaking imo.
Komen
Capital Enrichment Services
#24 - 2011-12-01 17:52:36 UTC

And thus you reveal your ignorance. Let the education commence.

I dwell in a 'hole. For better or worse, my corp is kill-happy. We often have a cloaked scout sitting and watching things, at the keyboard, relaying intel. Barring biobreaks and suchlike, that cloaky can be out and about for a couple of hours. Even sat stationary for better than an hour. Any proposed probes/d-scan/whatever sweep that breaks cloak hurts active players as well.

Now you know.
Ingvar Angst
Nasty Pope Holding Corp
#25 - 2011-12-01 18:01:08 UTC
Komen wrote:

I dwell in a 'hole. For better or worse, my corp is kill-happy. We often have a cloaked scout sitting and watching things, at the keyboard, relaying intel. Barring biobreaks and suchlike, that cloaky can be out and about for a couple of hours. Even sat stationary for better than an hour. Any proposed probes/d-scan/whatever sweep that breaks cloak hurts active players as well.

Now you know.

Hell, we've had cloaked intel inside holes we're planning to assault for weeks or longer on end gathering intel needed for a successful op. With the nerf to wormhole jump intel data (as in... it's gone now...) this becomes even more important. The only way we'll be able to determine active timezones, pilots, etc. is through direct, cloaked observation.

Komen
Capital Enrichment Services
#26 - 2011-12-01 20:34:40 UTC
Ingvar Angst wrote:
Komen wrote:

Now you know.

Hell, we've had cloaked intel inside holes we're planning to assault for weeks or longer on end gathering intel needed for a successful op. With the nerf to wormhole jump intel data (as in... it's gone now...) this becomes even more important. The only way we'll be able to determine active timezones, pilots, etc. is through direct, cloaked observation.

Not empty quotin'.
Hemmo Paskiainen
#27 - 2011-12-02 13:10:11 UTC
how about an semi automatic? click once and it automates for the next 20? 30 sec?

If relativity equals time plus momentum, what equals relativity, if the momentum is minus to the time?

Garnoo
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#28 - 2011-12-02 13:19:40 UTC
this would open wh doors for ratting/mining bots.... or you just want this Roll

People are going to try to ruin your day. Get together with others, ruin their day back -  EvE

Ingvar Angst
Nasty Pope Holding Corp
#29 - 2011-12-02 13:23:10 UTC
Hemmo Paskiainen wrote:
how about an semi automatic? click once and it automates for the next 20? 30 sec?

/facepalm

Just push the damned button.

War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#30 - 2011-12-02 13:33:48 UTC
Hemmo Paskiainen wrote:
Y/N? pls discuss

Bad idea.

1) Sometimes you want to keep the list that you d-scanned so you can report the intel somewhere.

2) It's a waste of bandwidth and processing power if you're not paying attention to it every time it spams.

3) If you are paying attention to it, then push the damn button yourself.

4) You'd miss seeing that cloaky ship come into system anyway as the one scan drew your attention to the list and the next scan erased the evidence after he'd cloaked.

5) It's just a dumb idea and you spent more time posting about it than you did thinking about it first.

Let your ideas rattle around in your head for a bit before sharing them. The bad ones will go away eventually.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Deamos
Dev Null Development and Holdings
#31 - 2011-12-02 13:42:56 UTC
+1
Yes..this..
Othran
Route One
#32 - 2011-12-02 14:11:50 UTC
Ingvar Angst wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Poor server… Cry

Heh... odds are that I'm clicking faster than any automated thing would, but that's a seriously valid point... imagine everyone sending DScan clicks every few seconds to the server?

Ouch.

You don't need to imagine it.

CCP nerfed the interval between dscans last year because bots were having an adverse effect on the server.

Its not going to happen.
Ingvar Angst
Nasty Pope Holding Corp
#33 - 2011-12-02 14:29:36 UTC
Othran wrote:
Ingvar Angst wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Poor server… Cry

Heh... odds are that I'm clicking faster than any automated thing would, but that's a seriously valid point... imagine everyone sending DScan clicks every few seconds to the server?

Ouch.

You don't need to imagine it.

CCP nerfed the interval between dscans last year because bots were having an adverse effect on the server.

Its not going to happen.

They did? I'm still able to click every 5 to 10 secs without issue... or were they pinging faster than that?

Freakin' bots.

Voi Lutois
Fwaming Dwagons
#34 - 2011-12-02 14:42:03 UTC
Ingvar Angst wrote:
Hemmo Paskiainen wrote:

/facepalm

Just push the damned button.

Widemouth Deepthroat
Pink Sockers
#35 - 2011-12-02 14:55:39 UTC
Komen wrote:

Now you know.

yaa keep some dumb push button every 2seconds so some nerd can sit in a wormhole watching other nerfs for an hour. You should be lead game designer at CCP :D
Widemouth Deepthroat
Pink Sockers
#36 - 2011-12-02 14:57:15 UTC
doubble
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#37 - 2011-12-02 14:59:02 UTC
Nah.

I rather have a new probe type, let's call it Surveillance Probe, that has a limited range depending on tech level and or skills, which feeds scan information into an intelligence window, which can be filtered with already defined overview filters and shared in channels with system information with other pilots.

Then you can get feeds from scouts all over the place, from surveillance arrays on POSes and hire certain agents to survey for a while certain celestial objects within their area of influence (station grid/system/constellation/region depending on level of the agent).

With this established, you can remove local completely and replace it with a grid chat that allows you to talk to people you can actually see (or that are in the same station).
Apollo Gabriel
Mercatoris
#38 - 2011-12-02 14:59:27 UTC
My airplane has constant scanning radar, but it doesn't KNOW what it sees.

If dscan simply KNEW it was a ship, and a guess as to hull, Frigate, Cruiser, BC, BS, Cap, etc ... then I'd be a lot happier, the "free name" intel should be removed.
Always ... Never ... Forget to check your references.   Peace out Zulu! Hope you land well!
Brothar Rey
Asteroid Farm Unlimited
The Bastion
#39 - 2011-12-02 15:00:51 UTC
Just sounds lazy to me.
Ingvar Angst
Nasty Pope Holding Corp
#40 - 2011-12-02 15:03:31 UTC
Apollo Gabriel wrote:
My airplane has constant scanning radar, but it doesn't KNOW what it sees.

If dscan simply KNEW it was a ship, and a guess as to hull, Frigate, Cruiser, BC, BS, Cap, etc ... then I'd be a lot happier, the "free name" intel should be removed.

Why? Each ship type bleeds a unique signature the DScan can detect and decypher. Not a big deal.