These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

why do players stay in npc corps?

First post
Author
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#1481 - 2015-06-08 23:00:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Aza Ebanu wrote:
It doesn't matter the data is flawed in the first place due to multiple accounts per player. And, how does he know who is on fleet chat?

There is a chat channel for every fleet available when you join one. It automatically opens when you accept a fleet invitation. The messages you type in fleet chat are also relayed to the server (so they can be sent to everyone else too).

CCP clearly are able to track who types in fleet chat (to what extent they do, we don't know).

Why is the data flawed?

Where for example is this wrong, for subscribed players:

10% stick with the game long term
40% move into solo/mission play out of the NPE and many leave
50% leave within a month or so

Also the data from this year, looking at 80,000 unique new players (not alts), how is that not valid in the context that it was presented?
Eli Stan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1482 - 2015-06-08 23:04:40 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Even those are a little better, since you at lest get a challenging fight from time to time. Ganks target people with no guns, preferably AFK too.

No they aren't. With ganking you will get a target with a fairly high probability. Roams and gate camps can be quite boring once you watch the nth nullified T3 go by or the kth interceptor with warp core stabs and nanos zip off.

Well, running security missions guarantees you plenty of targets too - ones that even shoot back - but they're dreadfully boring, IMO. To be honest I've never suicide ganked anybody, but it just sounds dull to me...

I do agree with you about gate camps - very boring indeed.

However, the CAS PvP SIG manages to get an average of 653 kills per month. Mostly in Syndicate, with a few dips into lowsec from time to time, from a group that rarely has more than 20 involved in any one fight (except for our occasional everybody's-welcome, large events.) Pewpew really isn't that difficult to find if you're in the right place.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1483 - 2015-06-08 23:06:49 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
So using the data to move from:

50% stick with the game ( here )

to

10% stick with the game and the rest come for PvE, so improve PvE and more will stay ( here )

to

Other people use it as ammo in the forum ( here )
That's because you misunderstand this. When I say 50% stick with the game, I mean for long enough to show an interet in it. The first 50% leave, those players I would consider to be unreachable, they are players with no interst in the game. The other 50% stay in the game for an indeterminate amount of time. He states than of that last 50%, one fifth goes to social play and most of those tend to stay. He also states that the other four fifths move into classic themepark and that many of them leave. We know not all of them leave, because we see them in game. That four fifths obviously have some interest in the game or they would leave right away, so take what they are interested in and make it more soical and more diverse. That's what I'm saying. If you can't hold a reasonable conversation about that, then that if your failing.

And yes, people take those stats as provided by Rise and they claim that to mean that players who don't leap into ganking or players who support PvE playstyles are bad for the game. You only have to read Kaarous' posts to see countless examples of that, but there are many others who have claimed exactly the same.

Scipio Artelius wrote:
Clearly CCP believe from the data that rich experiences are more important and the lessons they have learnt from the data (same presentation) are:

1. Text - improving the UI of the NPE to more contextual information and less linear text and clicking
2. Motivation - removing the reward based system of the NPE so that players become more self directed from the start
3. Expectation - removing the themepark aspect of the NPE so that new players find emergent, unpredictable, interactive experiences
4. Rich Experiences - encouraging meaningful experiences within the NPE as much as possible
5. Upkeep - making the entire NPE easier to modify and maintain from the developer perspective so it can be kept relevant
Have you used the NPE? All it does it give you pop up achievements whenever you do stuff and yet another list of things you may want to do. It's not a rich experience in itself and still requires a player to find their own content, and that's the problem, they don't.

Scipio Artelius wrote:
There was nothing in that presentation that justifies "PvE is bad", nor "Improve PvE and more people will stay".
No, but there's a clear idea of what type of gameplay people are looking for when they stumble into solo gameplay. They are looking for classic "level my raven" gameplay. Adding a bunch of achievements for rotating your camera and locking an asteroid won't suddenly make people social, and neither will adding content dominated by veteran players like NPC battleships that can oneshot capitals. IMHO changing the themepark PVE so it in itself leads to a diverse and social experience would be a far better way to steer people who are looking for that when they arrive.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#1484 - 2015-06-08 23:09:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Lucas Kell wrote:
Have you used the NPE? All it does it give you pop up achievements whenever you do stuff and yet another list of things you may want to do. It's not a rich experience in itself and still requires a player to find their own content, and that's the problem, they don't.

No. I never joined the game.

As to the NPE not being a rich experience, that was one of the major points CCP Rise made. The others being those other 4 that they can improve on.

Lucas Kell wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
There was nothing in that presentation that justifies "PvE is bad", nor "Improve PvE and more people will stay".
No, but there's a clear idea of what type of gameplay people are looking for when they stumble into solo gameplay.

Not from that data there isn't.

The only correlation made in that section of the presentation is that CCP realise people move in that direction because the NPE pushes them that way.

No data or statement is available as to what people are actually looking for. That data suggests, not what people are looking for, but the type of experience (rich experiences) that are known to help keep people around.

In the earlier part (about expectations) there is a discussion of people coming to the game after peak events (eg. B-R5RB and other major news headlines) and then finding something totally different.

But I don't think CCP necessarily know why people come and join Eve. If I had to guess, I'd say there are many, many reasons and a lot of variety around that. But that's speculation and not something I would bet on.
Aza Ebanu
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1485 - 2015-06-08 23:14:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Aza Ebanu
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Aza Ebanu wrote:
It doesn't matter the data is flawed in the first place due to multiple accounts per player. And, how does he know who is on fleet chat?

There is a chat channel for every fleet available when you join one. It automatically opens when you accept a fleet invitation. The messages you type in fleet chat are also relayed to the server (so they can be sent to everyone else too).

CCP clearly are able to track who types in fleet chat (to what extent they do, we don't know).

Why is the data flawed?

Also the data from this year, looking at 80,000 unique new players (not alts), how is that not valid in the context that it was presented?

Multiple accounts can be in the same fleet. How does CCP know they are 80,000 unique new players?
Sub /= new player
new character /= new player
TS3/mumble are more used by alliances than fleet chat.
McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#1486 - 2015-06-08 23:18:17 UTC  |  Edited by: McChicken Combo HalfMayo
Lucas Kell wrote:
As it stands, decently sized PvE corps in highsec are simply not viable. That I think is a real shame.

More importantly they have no reason to attempt to be viable. When a decent and skilled PVE corp forms in highsec they leave highsec. They have little incentive to stay. If they are going to be wardecced by various PVP groups they are better off moving to a WH or deep null where they get higher rewards for putting themselves at risk for openly flagged combat.

I can't help but laugh when I see these kinds of mid sized mission running corps trying to deal with wardecs. It's always such a disaster. It's a kind of litmus test for the quality of the CEO.

Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
No they aren't. With ganking you will get a target with a fairly high probability. Roams and gate camps can be quite boring once you watch the nth nullified T3 go by or the kth interceptor with warp core stabs and nanos zip off.
I guess that really depends on if you are looking for challenging gameplay or an easy kill. Personally I'd rather have a challenge.

Flying through empty systems isn't a challenge, its boring.

Watching nullified ships fly by isn't fun its boring.

There is only so much potential enjoyment that can be reaped from a given activity. The potential enjoyment from highsec suicide ganking is just not very high for many players. It's gold if you're into metagaming/roleplaying/trolling but not so much if you aren't.

It can take awhile to find content on a roam but EVE is not for the impatient. Personally I'd rather wait 1 hour for 1 dose of highly enjoyable content then suicide gank a handful of AFK barges.

There are all our dominion

Gate camps: "Its like the lowsec watercooler, just with explosions and boose" - Ralph King-Griffin

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#1487 - 2015-06-08 23:23:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Aza Ebanu wrote:
Multiple accounts can be in the same fleet. How does CCP know they are 80,000 unique new players?
Sub /= new player
new character /= new player

Go look at the presentation from this years FanFest by CCP Rise. He states that the data set he uses in that presentation (may not be the same as the data he used for the 2014 presentation) is 80,000 unique new players.

The actual statements by CCP Rise in relation to griefing new players start at 2:35 in the presentation (below link) and the bit just prior explains the context for why:

https://youtu.be/A92Ge2S8M1Y?list=PLQvKSs1k6DLOiGGb44McruXcndTtzUUlu&t=150

If the basis of our discussion is that we believe CCP are either lying or don't know how to isolate unique users; but yet still say that is what the data was for, then we are totally up **** creek without a paddle.

Without individually going and verifying the actual data ourselves (and none of us have the resources to do so), then there is an element of trust that we have to place in the information that CCP provide and the statements they make.

If they are just fabricating everything, then nothing any of us say has any meaning if it relies on those statements.

As for multiple accounts in the same fleet. Sure. But are you trying to say that all characters in fleet chat are just 1 guy and his alts? That multiple players don't use fleet chat and that CCP don't know that a use of fleet chat is one thing that correlates with activities of the group of players that are retained in the long term?

Aza Ebanu wrote:
TS3/mumble are more used by alliances than fleet chat.

Yes, this is also something CCP have stated correlates with higher chance of retention.

What data they base that on, I don't know; but I've never seen anyone of us in the forum disagree with that being an indicator of social connection.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1488 - 2015-06-08 23:30:55 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:

As to the NPE not being a rich experience, that was one of the major points CCP Rise made. The others being those other 4 that they can improve on.
I mean the new NPE. and yes, he made that point, so they changed it, and it's still doing the exact same thing because it's not possible to force players to throw themselves into group content if that's not what they come for.

Scipio Artelius wrote:

The only correlation made in that section of the presentation is that CCP realise people move in that direction because the NPE pushes them that way.
Of course there is! HE states what the majority of that 40% do. I don;t expect people show up, sub, then stay a few months missioning and what they were really looking for is shooting people in wormholes. They arrive expecting to be able to play some classic MMO gameplay with some "quests" and whatnot, and what they get is 30 or so missions that never ever ever change.

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#1489 - 2015-06-08 23:38:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Lucas Kell wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:

I mean the new NPE. and yes, he made that point, so they changed it, and it's still doing the exact same thing because it's not possible to force players to throw themselves into group content if that's not what they come for.

We haven't seen any results, nor do we understand what timeframe CCP are expecting/hoping for change to occur.

Overnight turnaround is not going to happen, so whether it is a success or failure, we don't know yet.

CCP are not trying to force anyone to do anything and as the example of CCP Veritas shows, many players are perfectly happy with solo play and will be retained in the long term.

It's just not the norm and so many players leave, having never discovered the rich experience that will keep them around. That's what CCP is trying to change.

Lucas Kell wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Of course there is! HE states what the majority of that 40% do. I don;t expect people show up, sub, then stay a few months missioning and what they were really looking for is shooting people in wormholes. They arrive expecting to be able to play some classic MMO gameplay with some "quests" and whatnot, and what they get is 30 or so missions that never ever ever change.

Yes he states what they are doing, but not why (which was the extrapolation of the data made and the data was used to justify that conclusion).

It can be an opinion, no problem. But it can't be justified with that information.

The only thing that indicated a why was that CCP know the old NPE pushed players in that direction.

It's not a valid conclusion from that presentation to say that those plays came looking for that style of play.

It's perfectly fine to have the opinion that people "arrive expecting to be able to play some classic MMO gameplay with some "quests" and whatnot", but you'd need to provide your own data to support that. Nothing CCP have said can be used to add weight to that argument.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1490 - 2015-06-08 23:53:40 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
It can be an opinion, no problem. But it can't be justified with that information.
Of course it can. You may still wish not to believe it but that doesn't mean I can't cite that data as my reasoning. I'd find it very odd if 40% of new subs were doing PvE against their will.

Scipio Artelius wrote:
It's perfectly fine to have the opinion that people "arrive expecting to be able to play some classic MMO gameplay with some "quests" and whatnot", but you'd need to provide your own data to support that. Nothing CCP have said can be used to add weight to that argument.
Except if you look at their data and see what they arrive doing, then you look at the wider MMO community for what people do in other games and what people expect in an MMO, it's not a big jump to suggest that what they are arriving for is space-based questing. I'll continue to believe that until I see compelling evidence suggesting otherwise.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1491 - 2015-06-08 23:58:24 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
I guess that really depends on if you are looking for challenging gameplay or an easy kill. Personally I'd rather have a challenge.
Flying through empty systems isn't a challenge, its boring.

Watching nullified ships fly by isn't fun its boring.
Catching and killing a PvP fit ship or fighting with one of the many other groups that shows up is challenging PvP. Shooting an industrial ship while flying around in highsec hiding behind concord's skirt isn't.

Look mate, you've made your position clear. You aren't interested in shooting ships that can shoot back. That's OK as is any playstyle someone chooses.

Ahhh there is the arrogant and self-aggrandizing Lucas we've all come to love and know. Also, and excellent example of your inability to comprehend the written medium. I did not say that ganking is my preferred activity in Eve, nor did anything I write indicate that ganking is not boring…for some.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#1492 - 2015-06-09 00:03:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Lucas Kell wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Of course it can. You may still wish not to believe it but that doesn't mean I can't cite that data as my reasoning. I'd find it very odd if 40% of new subs were doing PvE against their will.

You can try to cite the data as reasoning. It just isn't valid and never will be on the basis of that data.

There may be other data, but you are just fabricating conclusions out of the statements CCP Rise made.

No matter how you want to look at it, fabricating conclusions by extrapolating the data is a very weak argument.

Lucas Kell wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Except if you look at their data and see what they arrive doing, then you look at the wider MMO community for what people do in other games and what people expect in an MMO, it's not a big jump to suggest that what they are arriving for is space-based questing. I'll continue to believe that until I see compelling evidence suggesting otherwise.

This is another shift.

No longer this data, but also now the wider MMO community.

So if you are looking at the wider MMO community, put the data here so anyone can also see it and see clearly how it relates to Eve.

Otherwise, it's just hot air with lots of volume, but no substance.

Opinion, which is perfectly fine. Just not supported by this data.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1493 - 2015-06-09 00:13:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Scipio Artelius wrote:
You can try to cite the data as reasoning. It just isn't valid and never will be on the basis of that data.
That is indeed your opinion. Ours seem to differ.

Scipio Artelius wrote:
No matter how you want to look at it, fabricating conclusions by extrapolating the data is a very weak argument.
I'm not. I have a hypothesis, this is the only data available, and the data could support it. Nobody can say for sure if it does or doesn't, but it's a viable assessment. I still think it's far less likely that 40% of players stumble by accident into a type of gameplay they weren't aiming to get in there and stay longer than the 50% "leave after a couple of months" crowd, and far more likely that layers used to other types of game come here seeking similar gameplay in a different style. You seem to be of the impression that I need reams of data to be allowed my pinion, while you can categorically declare mine as wrong without any evidence of your own. Funny that.

Lucas Kell wrote:
This is another shift.

No longer this data, but also now the wider MMO community.

So if you are looking at the wider MMO community, put the data here so anyone can also see it and see clearly how it relates to Eve..
Roll
Clearly you are going to argue literally everything. Obviously you are right. Players come here seeking diverse and engaging social content, fall into PvE by accident, which happens to be very similar in style to other far more popular MMOs. They then stay trapped in that paying for a sub they don't actually want until they eventually leave.

Lol. You were right earlier, it's impossible to have a reasonable discussion with you over this, so I'm ending it.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1494 - 2015-06-09 00:18:57 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Aza Ebanu wrote:

Why is the data flawed?

You know I love these flawed data arguments. Is multiple accounts muddying things up? Maybe, but CCP can do somethings to clean the data. For example, look at the credit card that is paying for the account (if there is one). If it is the same across multiple accounts then they are likely alt accounts. You can flag those appropriately for later removal or include it as a variable in your analysis. You could also use other means of trying to identify when a character is likely an alt vs. a new player.

Also, when I make a fleet with my alts I tend not too…chat with myself in fleet chat. That is particularly odd, but hey if chatting with yourself works for you…well I do not judge. So, you could subset out those fleets where NOBODY talks.

And lastly, even the data isn’t perfect it can still be helpful. This attitude of well, this one minor thing could totally change the results is just errant nonsense. Yes, it could change the results, but at the same time it may not. It depends on how diligent CCP was at checking and cleaning their data. And even then, while it could change the results it is not a forgone conclusion.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1495 - 2015-06-09 00:28:54 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:

Without individually going and verifying the actual data ourselves (and none of us have the resources to do so), then there is an element of trust that we have to place in the information that CCP provide and the statements they make.

Actually I have the resources to do it...just not the data. P

And I bet I'm not the only one who has access to lots of computing power.

But I get what you are saying. We either go with this data being Truth™ or we just stop talking about it completely.

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#1496 - 2015-06-09 00:29:17 UTC

Lucas Kell wrote:
Maybe because they don't want to? Contrary to popular belief, there's a lot more to do in EVE than shoot people, and there are groups who want to exist to do something that isn't pew pew. If the answer is "learn to shoot people", that's effectively writing off players corps as only for people who want to shoot other people, which is pretty much an exaggeration of the problem there is now.

Lucas, your argument depends on mixing the idea that (1) people want to do different things, with (2) people want to be combat free. (1) and (2) are not related at all. People are free to do all kinds of things in EVE, and not a single person is debating their right to do so, even though you keep bringing it up as if people are against Explorers or Miners. No one is arguing that career choice.

What is objectionable is the expectation that you should be completely safe while you are Mining or Exploring or Hauling. People don't have to learn how to PVP at all, but at the very least they have to learn how to not be targets. You are absolving people of that responsibility by appealing to a "think of the kids" reasoning - how weak and incapable these people are, like helpless children. Is this characterization actually true? Are you advocating for coddling?

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#1497 - 2015-06-09 00:36:42 UTC

Orion Nex wrote:
All I know is that every time I've settled into a group it's been destroyed by high sec war decs. I have no idea what the answer is. I've rarely posted on the forums and it hasn't gone well when I've decided to.

I like your post, but I will point out one thing which I believe is a fallacy. There is no expectation that 100% of corps out there will succeed. I don't see why it's a problem if 90% of the poorly run and poorly defended corps are destroyed by better organized and better armed ones. The non consensual PVP sandbox is a dog eat dog universe.

Does the dial on attackers vs. defenders need to be adjusted? I can be convinced of that, if someone can provide me some statistically backed argument as to why this is necessary. (Yes Lucas, I do see your wardec statistics, but I think the numbers are contrived).

Quote:
I think the trolls that war dec high sec corps are similar to people in Dust that create alts to crush noobs in the Academy (a 3 or 4 match beginner mode for new players). It serves no good purpose.

This is a value judgment on your part.. made no less as part of the losing side of a conflict. I don't think this is an objective view. People do stuff in games for various reasons, and within the bounds of the EULA all of those reasons are equally as sound. Being noble, or a great tactician like Robert E Lee instead of like Ulysses Grant.. these are all personal values, not universal ones.

I agree with you, Wardecs need to be reimagined.. but not for reasons of rookie lambs dying to some imaginary slaughter, or because players should be safe anywhere in space (they shouldn't be).

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#1498 - 2015-06-09 01:52:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Teckos Pech wrote:
Actually I have the resources to do it...just not the data. P

And I bet I'm not the only one who has access to lots of computing power.

But I get what you are saying. We either go with this data being Truth™ or we just stop talking about it completely.

Yeah ok. When I said none of us have the capability, we are a big community and there are likely to be some that can.

According to CCP Quant, the CCP SQL database sits at about 2.5TB in active user state and they regularly archive data from it, giving an archive of about 3TB of user data. They collect about 300 million logs lines per day, hold about 50GB of uncompressed logs data and 25 TB of compressed data at about 8:1 compression:

https://youtu.be/h-jfvjMoe9Y?list=PLQvKSs1k6DLOiGGb44McruXcndTtzUUlu&t=253

That's beyond most of us and it would be great if CCP made it available. I'm not sure how they would do so without shutting TQ down in the process if several of us started polling it. I can imagine there are proprietary reasons for keeping their data secure too.
Ivant Sumboodi
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#1499 - 2015-06-09 02:00:08 UTC
Looks like a lot of you guys are getting better at actually understanding others' positions and some of your own shortcomings in your arguments, however grudging it is to acknowledge. I still hate you though.
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#1500 - 2015-06-09 02:01:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Lucas Kell wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
That is indeed your opinion. Ours seem to differ.

No. Not my opinion. Fact.

Both in science and logic.

I'm starting to sound like Tippia, which is slightly scary, but there is no argument to be had on that. Extrapolating data beyond its scope requires validation to ensure that it is reasonable to do so. In this case, there is no validation for it.