These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

why do players stay in npc corps?

First post
Author
Aza Ebanu
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#761 - 2015-05-21 08:52:06 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
There were 37 logged into VANIS Corp channel last night. Join a Corp that doesn't suck, maybe?

Glad you mentioned corps that suck. Here is link for all potential CEOs. This is the beginning of a guide to help you build a fail proof corp.

Link:https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=424421&find=unread
Nevil Oscillator
#762 - 2015-05-21 10:47:31 UTC
When you leave a player corp, do you always default back to your original NPC corp, even if you are -10 standing with that corp ?
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#763 - 2015-05-21 10:49:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Nevil Oscillator wrote:
When you leave a player corp, do you always default back to your original NPC corp, even if you are -10 standing with that corp ?

Not to your original starter corp, no.

But always to the same npc corp every time you leave a player corp, yes.
Nevil Oscillator
#764 - 2015-05-21 11:00:28 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Nevil Oscillator wrote:

Not to your original starter corp, no.

But always to the same npc corp every time you leave a player corp, yes.

So if your starter corp was CAS and then you joined a player corp and then you leave that player corp, you default back to which corporation ?
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#765 - 2015-05-21 11:03:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Nevil Oscillator wrote:
So if your starter corp was CAS and then you joined a player corp and then you leave that player corp, you default back to which corporation ?

Depends on your bloodline.

I can't say for CAS personally, but whichever you are moved to based on your bloodline, that will then be the same Corp you join every time you leave a player Corp or NPC FW Corp.

e. Here's a list on eve-uni wiki:

forum.Link:https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=424421&find=unread.org/viewtopic.php?t=82466&p=716883
JBM Holdings
JBM CORP
SCUM.
#766 - 2015-05-21 12:35:01 UTC
Because they want too and this is (should) be a game a where a player can/should be able to play as he/she wishes without some dumbass trying to **** in their sand.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#767 - 2015-05-21 12:37:08 UTC
JBM Holdings wrote:
Because they want too and this is (should) be a game a where a player can/should be able to play as he/she wishes without some dumbass trying to **** in their sand.

Wrong.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#768 - 2015-05-21 12:44:49 UTC
Expounding upon 'Wrong.'
Even if you are in a NPC corp someone can crap in your sand, it just limits the manner in which that deuce may be dropped.
Without access to war mechanics the scatology becomes more one-sided actually. Ganking becomes the deuce of choice rather than war. In those cases the aggressor has already chosen the means of your violation. You cannot fight back preemptively to protect your precious O-ring before it's violated, you can only keep a wary eye and try not to drop the soap.

With a player corp you can at least try to fight back before they go flashy red on you. You have the benefit of them being flashy red the moment they enter local. You know the bad is there and you can grab your pitchfork and fight... or you can scamper off to elsewhere. You know. Without that you deal with a local full of 'neutrals' where the nogoodnik who means you harm can hide anonymously until they strike.

Just saying. Stuff.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Shimoto
Doomheim
#769 - 2015-05-21 13:09:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Shimoto
Nevil Oscillator
#770 - 2015-05-21 13:20:49 UTC
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
Expounding upon 'Wrong.'
Even if you are in a NPC corp someone can crap in your sand, it just limits the manner in which that deuce may be dropped.
Without access to war mechanics the scatology becomes more one-sided actually. .

I've always wondered what people were referring to by the term sandbox, I had no idea it was something to do with scatology
Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#771 - 2015-05-21 13:26:18 UTC
Everything everywhere is always about poo.
Don't let them tell you otherwise.

Moth Eisig
Gallente Federation
#772 - 2015-05-21 14:53:44 UTC
Short list:

1. My current activities (exploration and FW missions) would gain nothing from being in a player corp
2. My (admittedly limited) experiences with finding and being in player corps have not been good
3. RL comes first, and it's not fair for me to expect to get something from a corp without being able to commit to give back when they need it.

Elaboration:
War decs are not a concern for me as I spend most of my time in low/null.

As long as there are solo activities in Eve, that's probably what I'll be doing. I enjoy the game as an atmospheric space sim and have no interest in null politics or kill board preening. C4 and higher wormhole PvE is the only activity in the game that requires a corp that still piques my interest. If I'm doing solo activities, corps don't add anything to my experience. I'm not in Eve for the social experience, my RL social life is more than adequate. And there is nothing wrong with me enjoying the game this way; please stop trying to convince CCP that this play style is somehow wrong.

When I have tried to get involved in player corps, things haven't worked out very well. The first corp I tried to join eventually decided for me that I wouldn't like their play style (can't I join and then decide for myself?). Maybe they came to the conclusion I was going to be a spy/awoxer somehow. The FW corp I was in wasn't bad, but I very rarely had time to participate in scheduled ops, and they weren't too happy that I would vanish for exploration runs to fund my game time. FW plexing also got very frustrating because the corp apparently had feuds with several other Gallente militias that I knew nothing about so I kept getting shot by blues.

So from that experience and what I've seen on the forums I think most player corps are not flexible enough to accommodate my varied play style and unpredictable schedule. The other big thing is that while corps have many powerful and invasive tools for investigating applicants, people trying to find corps have no good way to do the same to the corp so they know what they're getting into.

The only reason I'm in a solo corp instead of a NPC corp is that it's easier to share bookmarks with alts on the same account that way, oh and also tax evasion, though people in CAS posting would make me consider joining if I didn't enjoy being able to do FW too.

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#773 - 2015-05-21 15:30:24 UTC
I'm in a player corp (obviously) for a number of reasons.
Most of which I'm simply not coherent enough to share at the moment due to extreme intoxication.
One that I will, however, is this... It's very much nice to be able to chat with other people over comms and fleet up with them on occasion to achieve goals. Most of the time these goals are violent and involve someone else exploding.
I'm perfectly comfortable with this. In fact, this is a large part of why EVE is fun for me. I get to chat with fellow players in various bits of the world, share ideas and fits, and scheme to explode other players who are elsewhere in the world, or perhaps even a couple blocks away from where I am.

My alternative is inane drivel coming through over the npc corp channel while I either silently shoot at red plusses while praying for the sweet release of death... or staring at a damned rock for hours while praying for the sweet release of death. All the while I have to listen to the damned asteroid whispering to me about how I should save other miners from this living hell by applying liberal amounts of antimatter to their hulls.

Eli Stan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#774 - 2015-05-21 18:49:25 UTC
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Eli Stan wrote:
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
so what's the issue,?

The issue is that you assume NPC corp members are not social. A player does not need to join a player corp to engage in significant social interactions in EVE.

again twisting what i'm saying, i never said NPC corps are anti social. i also said in this thread that each to their own, do what you want and feck what others say.

so how are you assuming i'm saying NPC corps are anti social ?

because im not!

Ah! I believe I understand better. (No, wasn't twisting your words, I don't do stuff like that, simply had a different understanding of your response than what you wanted to convey.

So yeah, you're saying you've joined a player corp so that you can play with the other folks of that corp. Which doesn't mean you believe a player can't play with other folks while in an NPC corp - just that being in a player corp facilities it for you. Gotcha, I think.
Carrie-Anne Moss
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#775 - 2015-05-21 18:55:21 UTC
Forget about arguing/talking to Eli Stan guys
Hes still in a Npc corp so ccps facts and data says he is more likely to quit than the rest of us.
*Fingers crossed
Solecist Project
#776 - 2015-05-21 19:14:50 UTC
Carrie-Anne Moss wrote:
Hes still in a Npc corp so ccps facts and data says he is more likely to quit than the rest of us.
*Fingers crossed

It's about those who stay isolated ...
... not about those who play with others.

Do you ever log in and undock ?

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Eli Stan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#777 - 2015-05-21 20:31:41 UTC
Carrie-Anne Moss wrote:
*Fingers crossed

Way to foster constructive discussion. Roll

23. Post constructively.

xxxTRUSTxxx posted something that I misunderstood, after a bit of back and forth he corrected me and now I understand him properly (I think) and have no issue with his original statement... and you hope I will quit EVE because of that? What?

Anyway, to be on-topic again - the data you refer to, it's the data CCP Rise presented during Fanfest, correct? IIRC, that data talked about new characters 30 days and younger. Considering I've been playing in CAS for over a year, no, the data doesn't say anything at all about my likelihood of quitting.
Hiply Rustic
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#778 - 2015-05-21 21:32:10 UTC
Why?

I am very casual about this game and I'm only here periodically. As in, there are gaps of months at a time when I am not here at all and giving time to the rest of my life instead.

I love EvE, but like a mistress I see when I fly into town for a few days. Not like a wife.

Ralph King-Griffin wrote: "Eve deliberately excludes the stupid and the weak willied." EvE: Only the strong-willied need apply.

Nevil Oscillator
#779 - 2015-05-21 21:56:50 UTC
Solecist Project wrote:
Carrie-Anne Moss wrote:
*Fingers crossed

It's about those who stay isolated ...
... not about those who play with others.

Do you ever log in and undock ?

Have you got Meta 1 guns on your little red thrasher ?
Yuri Ostrovskoy
Doomheim
#780 - 2015-05-21 23:20:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Yuri Ostrovskoy
I understand why you want me to join a player ran corp, need fresh bodies and all. What I don't understand, is where you get off telling/forcing me to play your way. You payin my sub fees? Nope. You buy and build the rig running this game? Still nope. Are ya possibly paying my bills, and going to my job for forty/fifty a week? Oh look, How about nope.

See that's the funny thing about all of this. You in no way, have any say on if I join a corp or not. Your opinion on people being forced to conform be damned.

If I want to lone wolf it belt mining in the deep reaches of space, with the tron legacy Ost blaring, and only a drone watching my back, guess what? That's exactly what I'll do.

I don't need some mouth breathing kid, who knows jack about what it takes to make it in this world, giving me orders. Telling me how to play what I pay for.

Ccp thinks forcing us to a corp will keep us here? That'll actually make most of us nope outa there faster than an eight foot spider/shark hybrid.