These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

why do players stay in npc corps?

First post
Author
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#721 - 2015-05-18 15:52:34 UTC
Kind of amazed that this is alive/necro'd, but short answer...

Assuming players leave because of war decs is fine, however following the thought logically should lead you to the conclusion that the people declaring the wars would leave the game if they had no one to shoot at.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Aza Ebanu
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#722 - 2015-05-18 20:49:00 UTC
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Aza Ebanu wrote:
The question begs the reflection: "Why join player corps?"

because a player wants too. it's human nature to band together to work on common goals, we can't help but to seek out others like ourselves, we're hard wired to do it and for very good reason.

but if you're a solo player it's not for you, don't join a corp, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
but as a solo player you can't hope to achieve goals as fast as a group would.
but some want to be solo, they enjoy the challange of having to work harder for everything.

each to their own. if that's what people want then let them have it.

What you say works for both the NPC corp and player corp.

Player corp /= players with goals.
NPC corp /= players without goals.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#723 - 2015-05-18 21:21:27 UTC
Cipher Jones wrote:
Kind of amazed that this is alive/necro'd, but short answer...

Assuming players leave because of war decs is fine, however following the thought logically should lead you to the conclusion that the people declaring the wars would leave the game if they had no one to shoot at.

Assuming we forced people to stay in wardec'd corps to counter dec'ers leaving and further nerfed NPC corps to effectively force PC membership to get anything done, if the defenders just dock up or leave themselves, what is to prevent individuals from both sides from leaving? One side isn't doing anything due to lack of reasons to fight, the other consequently has no targets. Worse yet all those pilots that would be in space and not don't fly under wardecs, or fly less due to the same are effectively denying gankers of potential targets as well by giving players reasons to not be in space.

If we assume such variances in activity actually cause subs to be lost we'll likely only find that forced solutions exasperate the problem.
GetSirrus
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#724 - 2015-05-19 02:42:10 UTC
Black Pedro wrote:
As for killing a Venture, why is it only that players get all touchy about it when it occurs in highsec? If some band of roaming yahoos popped my Venture while I was mining gas in a wormhole or mining ore in lowsec, people would laugh at me if I came to the forums demanding an accounting of how exactly they profited from destroying my unarmed mining ship. No one would take seriously my claim that they were "griefing me" because they were not miners and didn't profit from it. Yet in highsec, because of the density of players, there is much greater likelihood you are stepping on someone's turf and will catch a wardec or be ganked for taking someone's resources, or just be found by someone who likes watching Ventures explode.

It is not "griefing" to destroy another's resource-gathering ship in a game about blowing up spaceships. Nor is it "griefing" to declare war on another corporation in a game set in a dystopian future where we are all constantly at war with one another.
It would not have mattered what ship you were in. Mining frigate or T3 Sleeper killer. You are a target of opportunity. I have died myself when mining Arkonor. I certainly did not take it personally and GF'd.
Quote:
the game has been designed so we have to compete and fight over the things in the game universe
So there is a design but of course players have the freedom to ignore this - I am merely highlighting the irony. It can be touchy because, given such freedom players will consistantly choose the low hanging fruit. I doubt the developers behind mining barges considered a single mid slot to a drawback, nor did the player base at the time highlight the obvious consequence. But I also doubt the ships were intended for kill-farming, vilification of the activity or targeted role-play.
Eli Stan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#725 - 2015-05-19 03:55:44 UTC
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Aza Ebanu wrote:

because a player wants too. it's human nature to band together to work on common goals, we can't help but to seek out others like ourselves, we're hard wired to do it and for very good reason.

but if you're a solo player it's not for you, don't join a corp, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
but some want to be solo, they enjoy the challange of having to work harder for everything.

It's worth noting that the question was "Why join player corps?" which is quite a different question from the one you answered which was "Why play with other people?" Hopefully by now, people who are interested in threads involving new player retention and NPC corps are aware of everything that goes on in CAS.

The problem with new player retention isn't game mechanics, isn't NPC corps, isn't tax rates or ganking or war decs. The problem is us, the established players of EVE. New player retention is a social issue, and will be solved by social means. CAS veterans are doing our part - we had a dozen raw newbies join our null/low roam this past weekend for example, and several expressed their excitement for the next event, or even stated they'd like to check out our nullsec home. We build social connections with new players as best we can. A player corp doesn't automatically create that. Those of you who are really concerned about new player retention - you need to get out there and create the social structures and social activities to attract them. CCP cannot do that for you. CAS has, I think, figured it out. (But I would love to see some actual data on new-player retention sorted by starter corp, to know if we really are making a difference or not. Feels like we are, but that's just a feeling.)
Heathyy
Absolute Order IX
Wrecking Machine.
#726 - 2015-05-19 10:00:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Heathyy
why do new players stay in npc corps, because they are new and probably don't want to open themselves upto war decs. I didn't feel the urge to join a player corp till i got to about 5m sp. then it started to dawn on me that being in a player corp probably would benefit me more than going solo. even then the first player corp i joined was war decced during the same week so i left and eventually went to null with only enough skill to fly a retriever.

my advice would be to at least train for a battlecruiser before joining a nullsec corp/alliance, I remember sitting in a PoS for a couple of weeks with nothing to do because i couldn't belt rat solo and we didn't have 24/7 mining ops.

before you take the plunge you need some isk to fall back on if things go wrong, you need to be a little bit self sufficient so belt farming at the minimum, even with that your opening up the doors to relying on other ppl where as you can do everything yourself if your in highsec. those things are barriers to entry. for the question of the topic though i would say 90% of the reason is war decs, if your new and your reading through the wiki's and learning pages you'll soon find out that with joining a player corp opens you up to war decs and when your a few months old trying to earn money the last thing you want is a bunch of guys camping your catalyst in a station when you want to run level 1s.
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#727 - 2015-05-19 15:27:43 UTC
Eli Stan wrote:
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Aza Ebanu wrote:

It's worth noting that the question was "Why join player corps?" which is quite a different question from the one you answered which was "Why play with other people?" Hopefully by now, people who are interested in threads involving new player retention and NPC corps are aware of everything that goes on in CAS.

The problem with new player retention isn't game mechanics, isn't NPC corps, isn't tax rates or ganking or war decs. The problem is us, the established players of EVE. New player retention is a social issue, and will be solved by social means. CAS veterans are doing our part - we had a dozen raw newbies join our null/low roam this past weekend for example, and several expressed their excitement for the next event, or even stated they'd like to check out our nullsec home. We build social connections with new players as best we can. A player corp doesn't automatically create that. Those of you who are really concerned about new player retention - you need to get out there and create the social structures and social activities to attract them. CCP cannot do that for you. CAS has, I think, figured it out. (But I would love to see some actual data on new-player retention sorted by starter corp, to know if we really are making a difference or not. Feels like we are, but that's just a feeling.)

it's worth noting that you can't read, the title of the thread is why do players stay in NPC corps?

i never said anything about "why play with other people" what the hell are you talking about?

fair play to you guys for doing your bit, but please, get off your orange box, you're not the only people in EVE that help new guys.
then to claim you build a better social connection than others,, that you may,, but we can all claim that. some don't for sure, but that's not something we can or should concern ourselves with. there will always be crap corps out there.
so what has CAS figured out? get off station and do shite? lol thanks for that captian obvious.
but it is interesting that you guys act like a real corp but won't create one. still that's EVE and you can do what you want.
anything players do to help new guys helps them stick around. we all know this.
you can't blame the player base if people don't like the game. i'd like to see the data on how many players quit because they thought the community was full of arseholes vs they didn't like the game/ it was too hard.. i think those numbers would be closer to the truth as to why new guys are not sticking around.

but, players will come and go, that's just how it is, remember there is a hell of a lot of games out there now, people get bored fast these days and move onto their next gaming fix.
Eli Stan
Gallente Federation
#728 - 2015-05-19 18:19:57 UTC
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:

it's worth noting that you can't read, the title of the thread is why do players stay in NPC corps?

i never said anything about "why play with other people" what the hell are you talking about?

Regardless of the question posted in the thread's title ("why do players stay in npc corps?") the question posted in the comment you directly replied to was "Why join player corps?" And that's obviously the question you proposed an answer to.

Your whole entire answer was about playing with other people. What?
Here are some phrases from your answer that address playing with other people:

• "band together to work on common goals"
  • "seek out others like ourselves"
  • "can't hope to achieve goals as fast as a group would"

Quote:
fair play to you guys for doing your bit, but please, get off your orange box, you're not the only people in EVE that help new guys.

then to claim you build a better social connection than others,, that you may,, but we can all claim that. some don't for sure, but that's not something we can or should concern ourselves with. there will always be crap corps out there.

My apologies - I never meant to suggest that CAS is the only group in EVE that attempts to connect with newbies. Pandemic Horde, Karma Fleet, BNI and EVE Uni are some of the other groups that are doing their part. CSM Mike Azariah is another, with his Operation Magic School Bus. Are you part of an org that reaches out to newbies and tries to engage them? If so let me know and I'll include it in my informal list.

We are talking about new player retention rates. Which, yes, is something we can and should be concerned with.

Quote:
so what has CAS figured out? get off station and do shite? lol thanks for that captian obvious.

Not only have we figured the obvious out, we (and orgs like those above I mentioned) have decided to do something about it. Any idea is worthless if nobody ever does anything about it.

Quote:
but it is interesting that you guys act like a real corp but won't create one.

Actually, no, we don't act like a real corp, nor do we try to. We have no CEO, we have no roles, no corp hangars or wallets, no SRP, no SOV, no fleet doctrines, no CTAs, no concern about spies, no tracking of ISK efficiency, nobody is ever kicked for inactivity...

(Full disclosure - some pilots do have alts in player corps for various activities, including the Alliance Tournament, but that's done on their own or in cooperation with a few other individuals, and is not SOP for the group in general.)

Quote:
you can't blame the player base if people don't like the game. i'd like to see the data on how many players quit because they thought the community was full of arseholes vs they didn't like the game/ it was too hard.. i think those numbers would be closer to the truth as to why new guys are not sticking around.
but, players will come and go, that's just how it is, remember there is a hell of a lot of games out there now, people get bored fast these days and move onto their next gaming fix.

Indeed, it has occurred to me that new player retention is as high as it'll ever get simply because EVE isn't for everybody, and there's nothing the players or CCP can do about it. I hope that's not the case, though.
Drazok
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#729 - 2015-05-19 19:30:02 UTC
War Decs Push new players into NPC corps.
Old players with 5 years of skill training screaming orders over vent push players into npc corps.
Code/losers ganking miners in high sec pushes players out of the game or least away from pvp.

My self, I don't really care for eve pvp. I like to play with my shinny spaceships and be left alone. A player cord has nothing to offer me other than wardecs and politics. I did try to put a started crop together with another player and we got wardeced out of high sec.

Machiste Tombs
Grymhammer Federation
#730 - 2015-05-19 20:47:13 UTC
37 pages, I admit, I read and jumped, and probably missed someone already saying this.

We made our own corp. Granted not an NPC corp, but we did so to get a common station and keep track of each other, but my answer is still the same for an NPC corp, or mini self corp.

Over my alts, many corps refuse new players, or set SP requirements high enough that you need to play a year to even consider them. Many corps (not all mind you this is not a blanket statement) have long requirements for membership. Some claim new pilot friendly, but that means they add you to the ranks and ignore you. Null sec is guaranteed out. Low sec is almost guaranteed out. Hisec is, well... who really wants that?

If left in an NPC corp, you might as well just play with yours...wait, bad sentence choice, but you get the drift.

I love the game, don't get me wrong, I've started and had at least 3-4 accounts that went dormant. This one has lasted so far. 32k pilots, and space is still a very lonely place if most corps are only looking for 15m+ SP

∴ "Virtus junxit, mors non separabit", I am but a traveling man...

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#731 - 2015-05-20 00:55:20 UTC
Drazok wrote:

Code/losers ganking miners in high sec pushes players out of the game or least away from pvp.

Literally, nope.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Aza Ebanu
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#732 - 2015-05-20 01:10:33 UTC
CODE at least has active members. Most player corps are just plain failures. Just a bunch of people who might as well be in NPC corps.
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#733 - 2015-05-20 09:10:12 UTC  |  Edited by: xxxTRUSTxxx
just tried to reply to a post,, think the forums is havig issues. 3 quotes said there was 5.

then wouldn't let me quote at all. so meh.... i'll reply later if and when it's sorted.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#734 - 2015-05-20 09:29:57 UTC
Aza Ebanu wrote:
CODE at least has active members. Most player corps are just plain failures. Just a bunch of people who might as well be in NPC corps.

you really have no idea about this game do you?

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Altirius Saldiaro
Doomheim
#735 - 2015-05-20 13:12:38 UTC
Shailagh wrote:
Im trying to make ccp money here. They have data that shows people that stay in npc corps quit more often. They said corp ceos dont like recruiting noobs cuz of fear of awox, do you believe this is the main reason?

I believe people stay in npc corps (and therefor quit more often) to evade wars.

Are wars the most dangerous aspect to retention (players staying in npc corps) and therefore should be nerfed to increase player corp levels and retention?

Nerf wars to save the noobs and make people join player corps to increase retention and ccps wallet?

We are in NPC corps because we want to be.
Meque
#736 - 2015-05-20 13:15:16 UTC
Altirius Saldiaro wrote:
Shailagh wrote:
Im trying to make ccp money here. They have data that shows people that stay in npc corps quit more often. They said corp ceos dont like recruiting noobs cuz of fear of awox, do you believe this is the main reason?

I believe people stay in npc corps (and therefor quit more often) to evade wars.

Are wars the most dangerous aspect to retention (players staying in npc corps) and therefore should be nerfed to increase player corp levels and retention?

Nerf wars to save the noobs and make people join player corps to increase retention and ccps wallet?

No that is not the correct way of playing. YOU MUST PLAY LIKE THE PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD WANT YOU TO BECAUSE REASONS.
Eve Solecist
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#737 - 2015-05-20 13:17:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Eve Solecist
Altirius Saldiaro wrote:
Shailagh wrote:

Such a superficial and empty statement.

There are always many reasons why someone "wants" something,
no matter if the person realises it or not.
  • All incoming connection attempts are being blocked. If you want to speak to me you will find me either in Hek local, you can create a contract or make a thread about it in General Discussions. I will call you back. -
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#738 - 2015-05-20 13:31:55 UTC
Eli Stan wrote:

Regardless of the question posted in the thread's title ("why do players stay in npc corps?") the question posted in the comment you directly replied to was "Why join player corps?" And that's obviously the question you proposed an answer to.

yes and i answered it with.

"because a player wants too. it's human nature to band together to work on common goals, we can't help but to seek out others like ourselves, we're hard wired to do it and for very good reason.

each to their own. if that's what people want then let them have it."

so what's the issue,?

i'm saying let people play as they want everyone is different and let CCP sort out the new guy retention.

Carrie-Anne Moss
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#739 - 2015-05-20 13:36:23 UTC
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Eli Stan wrote:

yes and i answered it with.

"because a player wants too. it's human nature to band together to work on common goals, we can't help but to seek out others like ourselves, we're hard wired to do it and for very good reason.

each to their own. if that's what people want then let them have it."

so what's the issue,?

i'm saying let people play as they want everyone is different and let CCP sort out the new guy retention.

Lol ccp DID sort out the new player retention.
They said that players that stay in npc corps have significantly less retention and quit wayyyy more often.
To fix the retention they must then figure out how to force people out of the retention-killing npc corps.

Wtf is hard to understand? Ccp SAID that npc corps cause terrible retention.
They thread is about why players refuse to leave npc corps so we can stop the retention bleeding
Eli Stan
Gallente Federation
#740 - 2015-05-20 13:46:20 UTC
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
so what's the issue,?

The issue is that you assume NPC corp members are not social. A player does not need to join a player corp to engage in significant social interactions in EVE.