These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

why do players stay in npc corps?

First post
Author
Eli Stan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#621 - 2015-03-21 16:44:49 UTC
Huh. Right now on the Fanfest Stream, a discussion on small gang NPSI as a way to get new players more involved.

Hopefully this concept gains more and more interest. Much better way to improve new player retention, IMO, than high NPC corp taxes. Big smile
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#622 - 2015-03-21 17:07:51 UTC

Eli Stan wrote:
Huh. Right now on the Fanfest Stream, a discussion on small gang NPSI as a way to get new players more involved.

Hopefully this concept gains more and more interest. Much better way to improve new player retention, IMO, than high NPC corp taxes. Big smile

Yes, being in RvB will make you enjoy EVE more than sitting in a typical NPC corp.

You're telling us as if you made a new discovery today..

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Taru Hinken
State War Academy
Caldari State
#623 - 2015-03-21 17:12:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Taru Hinken
Why am i in a NPC corp? Well mostly because i hate the idea of interviews and reports for a game. I have been to many different games and never have i had to insert a 5 page report on my self to join a corp,group,guild or team. I play this game to have fun not to submit to pointless rule 3.152 . Or have to report for weekly (sometimes more...far more ) board meetings. Why? Why put myself through that? I do that in RL. I WILL NOT SUBMIT MY FREE TIME TO DO THE SAME
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#624 - 2015-03-21 17:34:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
There's another reason players remain in NPC corporations: Faction Warfare. If you want to join (or at least try out) Faction Warfare, your entire corporation has to join. Not only does it take 24 hours to take effect (so you can't get into it immediately), but everyone in the corporation then becomes a valid target in high-sec (whether they wanted to participate or not). In an NPC corporation, you can basically join and leave Faction Warfare instantly without affecting your play style, your friends, etc.

Here are some additional reasons players choose NPC corporations:
• Instant search: No need to find a corporation; you're auto-assigned.
• Instant approval: No lengthy or gruelling interview/API process (which was alluded to above)
• Instant chat: NPC corporations feature thousands of players, so there's always someone online and you can strike up a conversation, ask for help, etc.
• Instant access: No 3rd party requirements such as TeamSpeak to participate (and you generally don't have to worry about 3-hour bullsh*t sessions that frequently delve into NSFW content)
• Instant independence: Do whatever you want - when you want - without anyone's permission.

And here's probably one of the biggest incentives for NPC corporations: The 10% tax only applies to mission bounties and rewards. You don't get taxed on selling any loot/salvage or market transactions, so it's entirely feasible to earn a living without actually paying any tax.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Miomeifeng Alduin
Lithonauts Inc.
#625 - 2015-03-21 18:35:30 UTC
Taru Hinken wrote:
Why am i in a NPC corp? Well mostly because i hate the idea of interviews and reports for a game. I have been to many different games and never have i had to insert a 5 page report on my self to join a corp,group,guild or team. I play this game to have fun not to submit to pointless rule 3.152 . Or have to report for weekly (sometimes more...far more ) board meetings. Why? Why put myself through that? I do that in RL. I WILL NOT SUBMIT MY FREE TIME TO DO THE SAME

^ this. Most job interviews require less info than most player corps want.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#626 - 2015-03-21 18:42:34 UTC
Gardav wrote:

I have also had a handful of real life friends try out EVE and all of them quit for exactly the reasons I mentioned; Too much unwanted "interaction" from other Players. None of them will return to EVE even though I have tried talking them into it. The numbers CCP released also speak to this phenomena that only 10% join Player Corps and 40% avoid Player Corps for whatever reason.... what's the number one common denominator here? In my opinion, Players and Player Corps are the prime variable.

If a person doesn't want 'unwanted interaction', why would they play a game where unwanted interaction is at the heart of it's design? It's like jumping into an ocean then protesting how wet it is.

I just can't say it enough, most people who play EVE have a certain predisposition and mind set that allows them to fit in with the game. Some people who play don't but play out of spite (or because they are those types that 'like a challenge' and believe they can 'change things for the better' not unlike that woman everyone knows that always finds herself with some crappy/stupid/abusive dude who has 'potential' lol). But most people who are not cut out for the game try it, realize they do't like it and quit early, and they are smart to do so.

Themepark games (ie most mmos) are the ones that concentrate on your comfort and want you to be 'safe' from unwanted interaction. That's why I hate most mmos and love EVE, I can take care of myself perfectly fine and don't need nanny state level coddling to exist. So when people come on here and basically advocate for more handholding (in a video game...) I always ask them the same thing: Why not play a game you actually like and leave this game that we actually like to us?
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#627 - 2015-03-21 19:30:25 UTC
I have removed some rule breaking posts and those quoting them.

The Rules:
4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#628 - 2015-03-21 19:33:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Jenn aSide wrote:
If a person doesn't want 'unwanted interaction', why would they play a game where unwanted interaction is at the heart of it's design? It's like jumping into an ocean then protesting how wet it is.

More like they enjoy the scenery and are merely content to lay on the beach.

Ciel993
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#629 - 2015-03-21 19:54:19 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
[

Ok, I'll just join this conversation a bit...

I honestly hate unwanted interaction, but I know it's part of what make this game unique.

I am a shy person IRL and in-game, I have trouble start or end conversation, and I absolutly hate socializing with strangers.

However, I am still here, staying and playing eve, and the reason is actually really really really simple and straightforward:

spaceship!

I like sci-fi, I like reading classic sci-fi literatures, I absolutly love when a sci-fi setting manage to create a unique, immersive, intriguing and detailed background and guess what my biggest dream since childhood is? To fly a spaceship and roam across the stars to see all kind of wonderous things in space.

And here comes eve, the only scifi space-background MMO on the market that has managed to create an actual space environment, has intriguing background setting, and in addition, a bunch of other unique features such as player-drriven environment, real-life-ish market, and etc. So why shouldn't I play it? It's not like there could ever be a game that fit my taste perfectly. "So why not eve?" I told myself. Yup, for me, the single, most important reason for playing eve is spaceship, anything else are merely bonuses that I sometime like, sometime don't.

And here I am, someone with socialize trouble, yet playing eve, and I have to say I enjoy it so farBig smile

See you in space (although unlikely, due to its timeless boundaries and infinite horizons)
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#630 - 2015-03-21 20:00:07 UTC
Ciel993 wrote:
spaceship!

Yes, let's be perfectly honest: EVE is very visually appealing.

Eli Stan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#631 - 2015-03-21 20:44:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Eli Stan
Sibyyl wrote:

Eli Stan wrote:

Yes, being in RvB will make you enjoy EVE more than sitting in a typical NPC corp.

You're telling us as if you made a new discovery today..

But I DIDN'T tell you that being in RvB is more enjoyable than being in an NPC corp - I told you I think veteran players taking new players out on NPSI field trips is a great way to get new players engaged in the social aspects of the game. (It works quite well for CAS, an NPC corp with lots of socially engaged players.)
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#632 - 2015-03-22 03:32:48 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

Because it isn't? It's always wanted interaction for at least one side.

Jenn aSide wrote:
I just can't say it enough, most people who play EVE have a certain predisposition and mind set that allows them to fit in with the game. Some people who play don't but play out of spite (or because they are those types that 'like a challenge' and believe they can 'change things for the better' not unlike that woman everyone knows that always finds herself with some crappy/stupid/abusive dude who has 'potential' lol). But most people who are not cut out for the game try it, realize they do't like it and quit early, and they are smart to do so.

Facewalling an SP wall is closer to a masochism than predisposition, and plenty of people have that.

Jenn aSide wrote:
Themepark games (ie most mmos) are the ones that concentrate on your comfort and want you to be 'safe' from unwanted interaction. That's why I hate most mmos and love EVE, I can take care of myself perfectly fine and don't need nanny state level coddling to exist. So when people come on here and basically advocate for more handholding (in a video game...) I always ask them the same thing: Why not play a game you actually like and leave this game that we actually like to us?

Don't confuse your own goals. Your goal is a steady source of easy targets to grief dec. Which is why you don't like NPC corps.
Because they won't have bothered you in the slightest otherwise - nobody here advocated "handholding", and anyone can tell you in which safespot on your body you should stuff your armor fit drake of an opinion about how they should play.

People play for fun. If eve is fun for them, who are you to tell them to go away and have their fun anywhere else, when you are the main beneficiary of them having fun here? You already have unprecedented capabilities to steal the fun away from them, in fact, there are too many of them right now.

So what if they play like in a theme park game? "Press on this doll where gnome touched you" (c). They pay their subs, they pay your plex, show some appreciation.

Bottom line is, unless all you need is an easy target to grief, NPC corps won't have possibly bothered you. Because all they do is provide protection from just one way of being griefed. And unless you do it, you shouldn't care about it. And they don't decrease retention half as much as people like you do, if you actually care about them.

And here I will repeat the line which got routinely moderatorbiased out: The retention of people who are ready to be content in form of tolerating the process of repeatedly hitting their face against "SP wall" is already peak. The retention of people who do not wish to be bittervet food for their money is what's in trouble. There are only TWO types of content available to a newbie currently - mining and exploration, and both got rekt for the sake of nullsec retention already, so it's no freaking miracle that they couldn't possibly keep a newbie occupied for any reasonable period necessary to become involved. That's why NPSI crap is worthless, because losing ships sucks and newbies from not already-perfect-retention category would quit instantly on this. What's needed is more engaging content. Epic ark is pretty good, but it's short, and it's practically one-of-a-kind. New newbie anoms might be a good idea, but I haven't seen them yet to make sure. But as long as there are only 2 rekt professions remain a regular-game-mid-term or eve-short-term choices for a newbie not wishing to be a bittervet food, the retention is going to suffer. Either we need to unrekt those (not happening to mining, don't know about exploration), or introduce new ones.

Being teh freightergankbear automatically puts you below missionbear and minerbear in carebear hierarchy.

If you're about to make "this will make eve un-eve" argument, odds are you are defending some utterly horrible mechanics against a good change.

Demerius Xenocratus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#633 - 2015-03-22 06:28:39 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Because it isn't? It's always wanted interaction for at least one side.

Jenn aSide wrote:

Facewalling an SP wall is closer to a masochism than predisposition, and plenty of people have that.

Jenn aSide wrote:

Don't confuse your own goals. Your goal is a steady source of easy targets to grief dec. Which is why you don't like NPC corps.
Because they won't have bothered you in the slightest otherwise - nobody here advocated "handholding", and anyone can tell you in which safespot on your body you should stuff your armor fit drake of an opinion about how they should play.

People play for fun. If eve is fun for them, who are you to tell them to go away and have their fun anywhere else, when you are the main beneficiary of them having fun here? You already have unprecedented capabilities to steal the fun away from them, in fact, there are too many of them right now.

So what if they play like in a theme park game? "Press on this doll where gnome touched you" (c). They pay their subs, they pay your plex, show some appreciation.

Bottom line is, unless all you need is an easy target to grief, NPC corps won't have possibly bothered you. Because all they do is provide protection from just one way of being griefed. And unless you do it, you shouldn't care about it. And they don't decrease retention half as much as people like you do, if you actually care about them.

And here I will repeat the line which got routinely moderatorbiased out: The retention of people who are ready to be content in form of tolerating the process of repeatedly hitting their face against "SP wall" is already peak. The retention of people who do not wish to be bittervet food for their money is what's in trouble. There are only TWO types of content available to a newbie currently - mining and exploration, and both got rekt for the sake of nullsec retention already, so it's no freaking miracle that they couldn't possibly keep a newbie occupied for any reasonable period necessary to become involved. That's why NPSI crap is worthless, because losing ships sucks and newbies from not already-perfect-retention category would quit instantly on this. What's needed is more engaging content. Epic ark is pretty good, but it's short, and it's practically one-of-a-kind. New newbie anoms might be a good idea, but I haven't seen them yet to make sure. But as long as there are only 2 rekt professions remain a regular-game-mid-term or eve-short-term choices for a newbie not wishing to be a bittervet food, the retention is going to suffer. Either we need to unrekt those (not happening to mining, don't know about exploration), or introduce new ones.

To be fair, you can also find an accepting blob like E-uni or brave or an FW corp and whore on killmails in a t1 fit frigate. You can also make ALOT of ISK in FW in a t1 frigate.

Some people (myself included) don't get super excited about being +1 to a blob. If we get a decent fleet scrap it's nice but it's more often just running down and melting small gangs and solo targets.

Inb4 "SP DOESN'T MATTER" for the thousandth time.
Demerius Xenocratus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#634 - 2015-03-22 06:36:37 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Gimme Sake wrote:
You don't understand, let me explain: they pvp only in high sec.

Yeah, there's no pvp in lowsec or nullsec. It's a myth.

None of which really has much to do with the topic.

Most of the people crying about NPC corps are highsec "pvp'ers" who feel they are being unfairly deprived of easy targets.
Most people who do their shooting in other areas of space against things not shittanked mining barges could care less about NPC corps.
Demerius Xenocratus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#635 - 2015-03-22 06:39:39 UTC
Eli Stan wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

And what keeps veterans from creating characters to counter the supposed carebear influence?

Because we actually like to play the game. Those of us who enjoy wardecs and PvP cannot do so in an NPC corp barring suicide ganking. We are effectively forbidden from interacting with new players at the basic stage of development.

We can't? (scratches head in confusion) Then what's all this PvP I and my fleet have been engaging in? While at the same time welcoming newbies who stop by, even chatting in NPC corp chat? Stop by Syndicate a week from Saturday, you'll see a sizeable fleet of NPC corp members, newbies and veterans alike, engaging in a ton of PvP, blowing stuff up and being blown up and having a great time at it.

Quote:
That needs to change, that's my whole point in all of this. The new player experience needs to stop being exclusively carebear friendly

Definitely.

Quote:
and that means changing NPC corps.

Not at all.

You're talking about people who can fight back competently. That's not the objective here.
Demerius Xenocratus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#636 - 2015-03-22 06:52:07 UTC
Valkin Mordirc wrote:
Demerius Xenocratus wrote:
[quote=Valkin Mordirc]

100M SP wins. Just look at the other toon's KB, 25m isn't enough to skill into every racial t2/t3 cruiser and every weapon system to a competent degree, you should easily be able to work out a counter to his likely fit. Whereas the 100M toon can bring any race t3/t2 or faction to the fight with full skills in every related area. 100M has a huge advantage because he has a full range of options and is thus totally inpredictable in what he can undock.

I have 23M sp, if someone looks at my killboard they know I'm bringing a gallente cruiser or BS. That's critical knowledge and there's fuckall I can do about it.

No it doesn't.

There is a finite of SP that will go into Cruiser and fitting skills.

A 100mil SP Will not have EVERY ship at his disposal. I have over 15bil in Hard assets. But I have to go TO those assets to use them. If I'm roaming. I DO NOT have access to them. Why is that so hard to understand? NOT every fight happens on the undock. Not ever fight I'm in a ship I'm perfectly spec in.

Also I have 35mil, I don't pay attention to SP counter, because I know it's not relevant.

I can't do the math right now on the SP total for all 4 racial cruiser lines up to T3 with all critical skills and weapons including full drones. I suspect it's rather alot. 100M SP should have it covered. 25M will be lacking.
If you pvp in highsec with 15B in assets and don't have a decent selection of advanced/faction cruisers at every hub you are doing it wrong.

xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#637 - 2015-03-22 07:28:11 UTC
Miomeifeng Alduin wrote:

^ this. Most job interviews require less info than most player corps want.

complete lies.
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#638 - 2015-03-22 08:09:29 UTC
Commander Spurty wrote:
NPC corp players can not create capital ships or do anything hugely important in EVE>

they can supply the ore to build one.

Commander Spurty wrote:
WarDecs are dumb, just like their White Knights.

they are not dumb, they may be a little broken but not dumb.

Commander Spurty wrote:
WarDecs inhibit people that like to blow stuff up leaving highsec and going to low / null.

End of story.

i didn't understand the last bit at all
Valkin Mordirc
#639 - 2015-03-22 08:31:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Valkin Mordirc

I can't do the math right now on the SP total for all 4 racial cruiser lines up to T3 with all critical skills and weapons including full drones. I suspect it's rather alot. 100M SP should have it covered. 25M will be lacking.
If you pvp in highsec with 15B in assets and don't have a decent selection of advanced/faction cruisers at every hub you are doing it wrong.

I have a lot of things in a certain Trade hub, your probably right there. Oops

Asides from that. and being completely asides the point, and being low blow...bastard. Also if you can't do the math then your purely speculation is just that speculation. I can fly every cruiser near perfect. From Cerb to Zealot. By near perfect it's mean the weapon specialization but that 2% is bullshit I don't wanna deal with,

You are ignoring that fact that I don't have 60 bowheads following me at all times. Why is that hard to understand? Stop cherry picking and realize when to comes to a point. SP ceases to matter, if you truly believe that SP is a critical part of Combat, I'm very sorry but it's keep you from getting better.
#DeleteTheWeak
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#640 - 2015-03-22 08:33:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Gimme Sake wrote:
You don't understand, let me explain: they pvp only in high sec.

Yeah, there's no pvp in lowsec or nullsec. It's a myth.

None of which really has much to do with the topic.

Most of the people crying about NPC corps are highsec "pvp'ers" who feel they are being unfairly deprived of easy targets.
Most people who do their shooting in other areas of space against things not shittanked mining barges could care less about NPC corps.

No one is crying here. It's just a discussion and everyone is entitled to put their view, no matter what it is. It's not crying to do so.

I do all my shooting in lowsec and nullsec, yet I'm very interested in this issue for several reasons. Of course, I'm only one person and not necessarily representative of 'most people' I guess, but that's where making judgments about others is always frought with the risk of being wrong. Issues can be discussed by everyone here without resorting to judgments about people who have a different opinion.

But none of that related to the post I responded to anyway.