These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why don't more women play Eve Online?

First post
Author
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#561 - 2015-02-11 12:03:11 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

Men, for example, (in most cases) do not experience and cannot relate to the fear of sexual assault, domestic violence, or pay grade bias.

If you're not trolling, and honestly even if you are, this sentence firmly establishes you as a despicable human being.

Slightly more than a million men per year are victims of domestic violence, compared to the ~ 1.3 million of women. (stats from the FBI's early 2000s study) And people like you whitewashing it away to serve your bigoted agenda just makes it worse. And hells freaking bells, up until recently, it was legally impossible to actually **** a man for crying out loud, that's how deep the systemic pro-female bias is in the United States.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#562 - 2015-02-11 12:05:13 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
This is how you turn people into attack mode

No, Remiel, I'd have to say that "men aren't sexually/domestically assaulted" is how you turn people into attack mode. The person you quoted is merely an example of that.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#563 - 2015-02-11 12:05:21 UTC
I want to clarify that I meant relationship-based domestic violence, which I should have said earlier. Many kids of both genders are subject to awful physical abuse that is very rarely rooted in their sex.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#564 - 2015-02-11 12:05:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

I deliberately said, "in most cases." Replace "most" with "the majority". I fully accept men are victims of both sexual assault and physical abuse. However, it is not as common.

You are wrong. In most cases of abuse of men, men are too afraid to speak out against their abuse, but don't make the mistake of thinking it doesn't affect them, or it affects them less than women. Make sure you read, on that page I linked, the bullet points under the heading of "Barriers to Disclosing". You mentioned the 'patriarchy' multiple times. While it's a feminist theoretical principle and not a real academic one, consider this: under that very principle, the fact that men are expected to be strong and powerful means they should be able to handle any abuse, right? So by your own theory, you have to accept that men who are affected by it are gonna have a harder time dealing with it, because letting anyone know about their potential 'weakness' could result in even more abuse.

By your own feminist theory, men are just as likely to be victims as women, which is why feminist theory is dismissed more often than not in real academia, because there are real theories that already cover that.

Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
I want to clarify that I meant relationship-based domestic violence, ...

So do I. You think women don't abuse their spouses, and that said abuse affects men any less than women? You are mistaken. There are men on this very forum who have experienced it, and naturally, they may take substantially more offense at this suggestion, and as a result become aggressive towards you. I'm one of them, and I'm trying not to bite, but I would very much like to.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#565 - 2015-02-11 12:06:31 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
This is how you turn people into attack mode

No, Remiel, I'd have to say that "men aren't sexually/domestically assaulted" is how you turn people into attack mode. The person you quoted is merely an example of that.

I have a pretty good nose for people who are wrong because they're ignorant, and those who are wrong because they've been mislead. I'm giving this one the chance to prove she's not the former.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#566 - 2015-02-11 12:10:02 UTC
Kiryen O'Bannon wrote:
Feminism is pretty clearly not science. It certainly does not attempt to describe reality against falsifiable hypothesis based on observation. Indeed, rather than subject it's theories to scientific scrutiny it attempts to subject science to feminist scrutiny. Hmmm.. not at all unlike the protestations of Creationists.

I should just paste this every time someone uses the words "feminist theory".
Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#567 - 2015-02-11 12:12:47 UTC
Is anyone keeping score by the way, I lost track of who's first on the buttmad leaderboard here.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#568 - 2015-02-11 12:14:11 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
Rain6637 wrote:
Anyway, does anyone know why most women's femme avatars are ugly? They of all people...

this guy.

this ****ing guy right here.

I wasn't talking about you Eevee. You and your forehead are good peoples.

By the way, do you have to activate dual training? Who has more SP, you or your forehead?
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#569 - 2015-02-11 12:14:26 UTC
Ria Nieyli wrote:
Is anyone keeping score by the way, I lost track of who's first on the buttmad leaderboard here.

Hurry up and pick which one to post with. Your identity crisis is getting weird.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#570 - 2015-02-11 12:15:31 UTC
This thread is too much. I can't debate/argue/whatever is going on with four people at once while also being heckled in mail. I give up.

I accept that the world is a complex place where many people are affected by a number of issues from radically different perspectives and informed by hugely different life experiences, and though I may not agree on some points, I apologize to anyone I offended. That wasn't my intent.
Ria NieyIi
#571 - 2015-02-11 12:18:58 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Ria Nieyli wrote:

Hurry up and pick which one to post with. Your identity crisis is getting weird.

I can neither confirm nor deny whether I'm all the people in my corp or not and whether I'm overweight or not. Or short.

Or whatever.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#572 - 2015-02-11 12:19:44 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
This thread is too much. I can't debate/argue/whatever is going on with four people at once while also being heckled in mail. I give up.

I accept that the world is a complex place where many people are affected by a number of issues from radically different perspectives and informed by hugely different life experiences, and though I may not agree on some points, I apologize to anyone I offended. That wasn't my intent.

Notice how it tries to save face, by not admitting that any of it's deliberate falsehoods are wrong. It's just apologizing for the fact that we disagree with anything it says.

What self indulgent tripe.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#573 - 2015-02-11 12:22:11 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

Then you accept that we're all still learning and trying to figure things out, and the best way to do that is not take sides. Find people willing to have a discussion, and work together, but don't take sides. That's the academic way, and the only way.

And just ignore the attacks. If you're getting harrassing EVE mails, that's against the EULA, so report, block, and move on. You have to accept that when you get involved in hot-topic discussions, you're gonna get abused and attacked by someone. They are usually members of fringe minorities who choose to exclude themselves from any real discussion anyway, so you can safely assume they have nothing constructive to offer to any real dialectic anyway, and ignore them. I get hate mail from antivaxers, scientologists, and various 'religious' people on an almost daily basis because of my line of work, and I've even had threatening letters from lawyers with words like 'libel' and 'cease and desist' in them. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's not, and sometimes it's downright scary. But the discussion goes on because that's how you make progress.

Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#574 - 2015-02-11 12:25:06 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

Then you accept that we're all still learning and trying to figure things out, and the best way to do that is not take sides. Find people willing to have a discussion, and work together, but don't take sides. That's the academic way, and the only way.

And just ignore the attacks. If you're getting harrassing EVE mails, that's against the EULA, so report, block, and move on. You have to accept that when you get involved in hot-topic discussions, you're gonna get abused and attacked by someone. They are usually members of fringe minorities who choose to exclude themselves from any real discussion anyway, so you can safely assume they have nothing constructive to offer to any real dialectic anyway, and ignore them. I get hate mail from antivaxers, scientologists, and various 'religious' people on an almost daily basis because of my line of work, and I've even had threatening letters from lawyers with words like 'libel' and 'cease and desist' in them. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's not, and sometimes it's downright scary. But the discussion goes on because that's how you make progress.

Is that why you complain that you have no friends IRL and you have to put up with people laughing at you on comms?
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#575 - 2015-02-11 12:25:54 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

Notice how it tries to save face, by not admitting that any of it's deliberate falsehoods are wrong. It's just apologizing for the fact that we disagree with anything it says.

What self indulgent tripe.

Come on man, give Gwen the benefit of the doubt. When I was young, I used to go around telling everyone they needed to believe the same things as me too, but I wasn't wrong because I was ignorant, I was wrong because I hadn't had a chance to learn more than I had. There are perpetrators of misinformation, and there are victims. We must be careful not to back the latter into a corner, where they will turn to willful ignorance and become the former.

As for the former, go ahead and ridicule the everliving **** out of them, they deserve it.

Ria NieyIi
#576 - 2015-02-11 12:26:49 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
Rain6637 wrote:
Anyway, does anyone know why most women's femme avatars are ugly? They of all people...

this guy.

this ****ing guy right here.

I wasn't talking about you Eevee. You and your forehead are good peoples.

By the way, do you have to activate dual training? Who has more SP, you or your forehead?

You should give a forewarning before making posts like these.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#577 - 2015-02-11 12:27:49 UTC
Ria Nieyli wrote:

Is that why you complain that you have no friends IRL and you have to put up with people laughing at you on comms?

Have you still got that epic grudge against me?

Remember that question you asked earlier about who's the most buttmad here?

Asked and answered.

Ria NieyIi
#578 - 2015-02-11 12:28:44 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Ria Nieyli wrote:

Asked and answered.

You're the one that has a grudge against me, to the point where (con't)
Josef Djugashvilis
#579 - 2015-02-11 12:29:01 UTC
Primary this rifter wrote,,,

"There are almost as many men who are sexually assaulted and raped as there are women, and they're roughly as likely to be victims of domestic violence"

Dear primary, you have almost manged to replace Kaarous ans my favourtie crazy poster.

However, Kaarous just generally rants, whereas you are just, well...

This is not a signature.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#580 - 2015-02-11 12:29:31 UTC
Ria NieyIi wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Ria Nieyli wrote:

Asked and answered.

You're the one that has a grudge against me, to the point where (con't)

"I know you are you said you are so what am I"

GG.