These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Missiles for the Caldari T3 Destroyer

Author
Phoenix Jones
The Markoni Dragons
#61 - 2015-02-19 19:33:03 UTC
Most likely they'll be a rail tweak done. The rocket caldari destroyer sounds fun, but people will still just straight out fit light missiles if given the option (the speed and benefits could outweigh the lack of bonuses). If there was a way to get rockets out to 15 to 20 k, and keep light missiles so horribly removed from the destroyer, sure.

That won't happen though. Would having 2 hybrid platform destroyers really work though? Dunno. They may have to completely re look at hybrid guns at both the small and medium range.

If by some miracle they are able to dedicate that ship to a rocket platform, and make it so appealing that people won't bother with light missiles, maybe, but people will still go pretty ape when the players fit a lml t3 destroyer nailing people at 40 to 50 km, with pretty much total immunity from being tackled by frigates and other destroyers.

The lml option is too strong the for the destroyer. The rockets are better but still presents the issue of having launchers put in the highs.

Yaay!!!!

Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#62 - 2015-02-19 21:21:51 UTC
I meant if it's going to be missile platform what bonuses it has. To missile damage factor or flight time and velocity. Which gives you a longer distance where missiles could reach. That's why i called it range.

"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know" - CCP

Sadew42
Seekers of Agartha
#63 - 2015-02-24 22:09:02 UTC
It's funny, I started four years ago and wound up cross-training heavily into turrets, despite trying to keep my primary focus on missiles. I have better turret skills than missile skills, and while I can use battleship size T2 projectiles and lasers, I can't use battleship missiles. This habit largely came up because of the relative lack of missile boats, though CCP is doing well when it comes to adding new ones.

So far the T3 destroyers have been focused on the main weapon types for each race. Amarr got lasers, not drones. Minmatar got projectiles (specifically artillery, which feels a little strange, but whatever), not missiles. Caldari are likely to get missiles, as that is their main weapon system, rather than railguns, which are not their main weapon system. Gallente are a bit more chancy, with drones and blasters both being very important for the race, but I think CCP will go with blasters with the possibility for a small drone contingency (sharpshooter mode gives a bonus to drone mwd speed and optimal range maybe?). Then again, giving Gallente much of a drone focus can hamper them from taking advantage of the unique bonuses that many wormholes provide, a similar problem that would face a railgun Caldari T3 destroyer.

At any rate, though, like others have stated I'll be disappointed if the Caldari get a railgun T3 destroyer, I don't want a stuation similar to the Naga and Talos. Not to mention that the theme of T3 destroyers is to roam around through WHs with a mobile depot and mobile tractor unit. However, I do see the problem that missiles would have, in that they don't get the benefits of a Wolf-Rayet system like railguns would (not to mention the shield-tanked focus of Caldari being decimated in these WHs too, so that would leave the Caldari T3 destroyer all alone in WHs that it's suited for and the others are not). But really, railguns are not very conducive to solo PvP or PvE, and a Wolf-Rayet would harm the tank on a Caldari T3 destroyer significantly.

Caldari T3 destroyers will likely be best suited to Pulsar WHs and Black Hole WHs, or otherwise need to be given some role bonus so that the WHs the other T3 destroyers are suited for doesn't leave them crippled.
Tusker Crazinski
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#64 - 2015-02-25 00:49:28 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
only difference between a rail and a blaster platform is a optimal or tracking bonus and those will no doubt be handled via modes

making the gal a hybrid boat and the cal a missile boat will represent all primary weapon systems

making them both hybrids you will probably see the gal one be smaller faster and have a bigger DPS bonus giving very little reason to fly the cal one except in cases where extreme range is needed

confirming corm fleets are 10000x better than cat fleets.

the fact you can track pretty much anything outside 10km, instalock, and reach past 50km makes corm fleets scary to most things.

also Harpy > pretty much any frigate in a fleet.
Sadew42
Seekers of Agartha
#65 - 2015-02-25 02:31:13 UTC
Tusker Crazinski wrote:

You hit the nail on the head. T3 destroyers aren't fleet ships, they're solo or small gang ships. Rail destroyer will be awful.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#66 - 2015-02-25 03:31:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugh Crow-Slave
Tusker Crazinski wrote:

the fact you can track pretty much anything outside 10km, instalock, and reach past 50km makes corm fleets scary to most things.

yes but in the small gangs of WH space Blaster is almost always going to be > than rails

and i may be wrong about this but i always thought they were designed for smaller fleets and with relatively newer players in mind do to them being themed around WHs and their very low SP need and material cost
Tusker Crazinski
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#67 - 2015-02-25 04:44:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Tusker Crazinski
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Tusker Crazinski wrote:

yes but in the small gangs of WH space Blaster is almost always going to be > than rails

and i may be wrong about this but i always thought they were designed for smaller fleets and with relatively newer players in mind do to them being themed around WHs and their very low SP need and material cost

they are, that's why MOA dose corm fleets when we're board and out of cash. but even than, if you have enough insta lock sniper corms you could nuke through a kiting ships buffer before a logi ship can lock it.

anyway nerfing in atocannons in to the ground did not make blasters good all the sudden, they're still 100 percent screwed when faced by anything faster than them, and weapons that cannot project are generally awful for fleets.

that's why we're seeing shield buffer, rail gun fit thoraxes and ENIs
Lugh Crow-Slave
#68 - 2015-02-25 04:56:31 UTC
Again you have this "if you have enough" or "in fleets"

T3 desis are much better suited to small gang where you generally have a hard time kiting and keeping your target on grid.

besides that a platform that can run rockets and missiles and a platform that can run rails and blasters is going to provide more options to players than a platform that runs blasters and a platform that runs rails
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#69 - 2015-02-25 05:01:08 UTC
Because a thread has been made asking for a Missile-based Caldari destroyer... CCP will now make it a Hybrid-based one.

Cheers everyone!
Tusker Crazinski
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#70 - 2015-02-25 05:01:40 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Again you have this "if you have enough" or "in fleets"

T3 desis are much better suited to small gang where you generally have a hard time kiting and keeping your target on grid.

besides that a platform that can run rockets and missiles and a platform that can run rails and blasters is going to provide more options to players than a platform that runs blasters and a platform that runs rails

rail raxes and ENI are not for fleets. you fly these things like vagabonds with projection and DPS you always wished they had.

for fleets you want Moas and N'argoros for thier buffer.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#71 - 2015-02-25 07:54:28 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Because a thread has been made asking for a Missile-based Caldari destroyer... CCP will now make it a Hybrid-based one.

Haha. Or torpedoes.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Caleb Seremshur
Naked Oiled Bodybuilders
Parasitic Legion.
#72 - 2015-02-25 08:50:17 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:

Cheers everyone!

You should know by now that caldari are the "pve race".
Lugh Crow-Slave
#73 - 2015-02-25 09:04:03 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
ShahFluffers wrote:

Cheers everyone!

not when it comes to frigs/desis they arn't

just you know pretty much anything bigger that uses missiles
Wulfy Johnson
NorCorp Security
#74 - 2015-02-25 11:26:37 UTC
Yes please, missiles.
Alexei Stryker
Council of Stellar Erections
#75 - 2015-02-25 12:02:57 UTC
Please... Special missiles that shoot lasers while on flight.
Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#76 - 2015-02-25 13:11:26 UTC
Alexei Stryker wrote:
Please... Special missiles that shoot lasers while on flight.

A lazor beam which blows at the end?

"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know" - CCP

Anthar Thebess
#77 - 2015-02-25 13:17:41 UTC
Lets make it interesting:
- unbonused missiles
- bonus to jamming
- 1 low slot ::)
Lugh Crow-Slave
#78 - 2015-02-25 13:22:34 UTC
Anthar Thebess wrote:
Lets make it interesting:
- unbonused missiles
- bonus to jamming
- 1 low slot ::)

-,- give me 6-7 mids and you're on
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#79 - 2015-02-25 14:31:28 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
ShahFluffers wrote:

Cheers everyone!

You should check out what merlins are able to do. Utterly hilarious.