These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE Online: Crucible Trailer is now available in HD!

First post
Author
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#101 - 2011-12-02 14:27:57 UTC
Invisusira wrote:
Consciously or not, this trailer (and, indeed, this expansion) was very clearly designed with current and former players in mind... and it looks like, for the most part, it's a big hit with them. So nothing wrong with that. However, as an overal marketing tool for the greater prospective audience, this trailer falls short.

Hmm, I might be guilty of this but CCP do a lot of marketing overall and criticizing them for producing an expansion trailer instead of a generic video for promotional purposes, that coincides with an expansion, is weak.

The entire marketing productivity doesn't revolve around videos - if it did they would have either hired more people, or outsourced it.

Now, if this argument is more about EVE's approach to marketing the game than this specific trailer, then we're going off topic.

It could be that you wanted to watch a cool video and feel unfufilled and are using the specifics of the video to argue your point...I'm not sure.

I think what is cool is the ammount of videos the community create and upload to youtube or eve-files. What CCP do (thankfully) is like these videos in their channel, generating traffic to and fro. This is not just good for CCP, but for prospective players as a lot of potential gamers will watch something created by players and perhaps trust that more than an official trailer or video? Hard to say - but traffic is traffic.

AK

This space for rent.

Kuronaga
The Dead Parrot Shoppe Inc.
The Chicken Coop
#102 - 2011-12-02 17:58:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Kuronaga
Tell me this.

In three years time, will this trailer have any impact on existing players? Will it have any impact on new players?

It is the only "trailer" out of every single one listed on the media page, in fact, that has this problem. Every single thing highlighted in this trailer will be looked at and people will go "yea? big deal".

That is an undeniable strike against it, and completely de-values it for legacy viewing.
The Offerer
Doomheim
#103 - 2011-12-02 18:55:12 UTC
Fantastic!!! Love it!!!

My comment after sharing this on facebook: "All of you that are afking... yeah, you know who you are... GET BACK IN THE GAME!!!" CoolBig smile
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#104 - 2011-12-03 10:51:28 UTC
Kuronaga wrote:
Tell me this.

In three years time, will this trailer have any impact on existing players? Will it have any impact on new players?

It is the only "trailer" out of every single one listed on the media page, in fact, that has this problem. Every single thing highlighted in this trailer will be looked at and people will go "yea? big deal".

That is an undeniable strike against it, and completely de-values it for legacy viewing.

Why would an expansion trailer have relevance in 3 years time?

This space for rent.

Benteen
Atra Mortis Industries
#105 - 2011-12-03 13:15:43 UTC
Watching the new "trailer" it reminds me more of a PvP vid done "just because" by a pre-nager (pre-teen) who's had too much caffeine or a short "hit them hard and fast" TV commercial, rather than an "trailer" for an expansion to a brilliant game. The speed of it gives you no time to see the brilliant visual effects and take them in.

Trinity was an expansion but the trailer was (and always will be EPIC), the same is true for most of the older trailers.

This one just doesn't feel like EvE to me and I actually agree with alot of the comments along the lines of "we older players / bitter veterans have eyes, we can see what's changed and get excited by reading the patch notes". It feels too rushed, they could have used a more story-lined approach similar to the Quantum Rise one.
Tanya Powers
Doomheim
#106 - 2011-12-03 13:29:38 UTC
RUSROG wrote:
IT IS FANFUCKINGTASTIC. I cannot find a better word to describe. Please don't ban me.

Wooohoooo !!

I spent a lot of time in that CA9 with my 100MN AB Tengu was hopping Cry

Doesn't matter!! - FANFUCKINGTASTIC !!!

YAY !
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#107 - 2011-12-03 16:52:26 UTC
Benteen wrote:
This one just doesn't feel like EvE to me and I actually agree with alot of the comments along the lines of "we older players / bitter veterans have eyes, we can see what's changed and get excited by reading the patch notes". It feels too rushed, they could have used a more story-lined approach similar to the Quantum Rise one.

So, less time making videos of CCP staff creating content, and more time devoted to creating videos of the actual game?

If so, I agree.

Videos of staff are interesting to see the behind the scenes stuff - but actual game footage is what really sells the game, and in truth, is more relevant when we log in and play...which surely is the point?

This space for rent.

Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#108 - 2011-12-03 18:50:21 UTC
AlleyKat wrote:
Benteen wrote:

So, less time making videos of CCP staff creating content, and more time devoted to creating videos of the actual game?

If so, I agree.

Videos of staff are interesting to see the behind the scenes stuff - but actual game footage is what really sells the game, and in truth, is more relevant when we log in and play...which surely is the point?

The problem is that the change between the recent trailers shows CCP is becoming less interested in getting new players in as it is maintaining existing players. That's good for us, but bad for the game. Fewer new players equals less ship loss and is bad for the economy. It also means that over all subscriptions will start sliding as player no longer really 'into' the game are repleaced at a slower rate.

It's basically the hole that Ultima Online fell down. Eventually all the game had was pandering to an increasingly older fan base of land owners.
Kuronaga
The Dead Parrot Shoppe Inc.
The Chicken Coop
#109 - 2011-12-03 19:43:56 UTC
AlleyKat wrote:
Kuronaga wrote:
Tell me this.

Go to youtube and ask that question, because previous trailers are still being watched to this day. They were well done and new players look at them to see as much about the game as they possibly can before they decide to buy into it.

They get views for a reason.
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#110 - 2011-12-03 23:08:42 UTC
Kuronaga wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:
Kuronaga wrote:
Tell me this.

Go to youtube and ask that question, because previous trailers are still being watched to this day. They were well done and new players look at them to see as much about the game as they possibly can before they decide to buy into it.

They get views for a reason.

Total trailer views = 9,911,236

If they generate new players, the click-through conversion must be tiny - might have to raise this point at FF: what is the conversion rate and how many go past 14 days and hand over money? Of those trailers, which had the best conversion ratio?

What is quite strange is ENF has been removed from their trailer list on YT - someone did a boo-boo?

AK

This space for rent.

Adamonus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#111 - 2011-12-04 05:42:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Adamonus
Well, I have to say yes, it actually really looks much more like a merchandising video....strange feeling :/

A traditional gameteaser tradition suddently has been replaced by marketing advertisings.....the wrong place for product placement imho.
Solhild
Doomheim
#112 - 2011-12-04 08:38:26 UTC
Great trailer

I hope these can be released into the download section of the EVE site instead of YouTube first. My Internet connection is painful and I like to watch the trailers a few times over Smile
Vult
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#113 - 2011-12-05 03:50:58 UTC
I require the extended director's cut of this trailer with full soundtrack to be placed on my desk first thing in the morning.
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#114 - 2011-12-08 14:43:43 UTC
Adamonus wrote:
Well, I have to say yes, it actually really looks much more like a merchandising video....strange feeling :/

A traditional gameteaser tradition suddently has been replaced by marketing advertisings.....the wrong place for product placement imho.

If you think any Eve trailer was not an advertisement you don't have even the most basic comprehension skills.

The video was great IMO.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Mirima Thurander
#115 - 2011-12-11 06:15:46 UTC
its a good Trailer it needed more of something.

more supers and titans dieing...

All automated intel should be removed from the game including Instant local/jumps/kills/cynos for all systems/regions.Eve should report nothing like this to the client/3rd party software.Intel should not be force fed to players. Player skill and iniative should be the sources of intel.

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#116 - 2011-12-30 08:06:37 UTC
Adamonus wrote:

I agree but I liked the vid.

It had some new content mixed in with changes and updates. A bit quick but still flashy. Music worked with the video. However, it did seem to me it was mainly aimed at older players and after considering the past years issues, I can understand and accept that.

As for the player made actual footage on the PvP action, that was cool. Sorta reminded me of This Is Eve II.
Minta Contha
Emergent Entity
#117 - 2012-01-05 20:13:44 UTC
CCP's statement that "this is all real in game footage with real players" is lies, as the views of the CQ are from camera angles and panning that cannot actually be done within the game itself.
Just be honest next time, OK?

My cooking is like my lovemaking - fast, greasy, and unsatisfying.

Velicitia
XS Tech
#118 - 2012-01-05 20:55:29 UTC
Minta Contha wrote:
CCP's statement that "this is all real in game footage with real players" is lies, as the views of the CQ are from camera angles and panning that cannot actually be done within the game itself.
Just be honest next time, OK?

IIRC, if you turn on the "advanced camera controls", you can get those extra camera angles/panning...

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#119 - 2012-01-06 00:46:21 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
IIRC, if you turn on the "advanced camera controls", you can get those extra camera angles/panning...

Not in CQ

This space for rent.

Xpaulusx
Naari LLC
#120 - 2012-01-06 05:26:28 UTC
Fast paced Trailer that gets right to the point of the whole game.....Combat. Soundtrack was superb. CCP always puts out great trailers, im not surpised at all. 10/10