These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Skill Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Are you addicted to SP?

Author
Logan Revelore
Symbiotic Systems
#21 - 2015-01-11 11:32:47 UTC
You're not the only one. I'm kinda OCD as well with SP. I always map for min/max, and then I only do one group of skills for a year, or I try to at least. Right now I'm maxing drones for instance before going back to a Per/Will map where I'll focus on rounding off my gunnery/missiles and subcaps for a looong while.

I almost always train to V. I simply can't accept them being "unfinished".
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#22 - 2015-01-11 13:24:58 UTC
Is it because you can pay money and do nothing, but still improve the character's stats? (and it's always there when you have time and motivation to play)
Ria Nieyli
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#23 - 2015-01-11 13:44:26 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
Have you considered the least amount of gameplay that could exist in EVE but still keep your interest to sub?

In other words, what are the bare minimum elements of EVE that keep you interested to maintain a sub.

The people around me.
Dominique Vasilkovsky
#24 - 2015-01-11 20:25:46 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
Is it because you can pay money and do nothing, but still improve the character's stats? (and it's always there when you have time and motivation to play)

Progressing without doing anything has always been a major bonus. All you have to do is invest time and effort (and with the introduction of GTC and later PLEX) effort is all you need and you don't even need to pay for the subs.

Back when I started one of the main attractions was the complexity of the skill system and spend countless days thinking out everything so you would progress as fast as possibe for what you wanted to do in game. That is why I started with one character to get the feeling for the game and a month later when the new bloodlines were introduced I was ready to rock. It only took a year or so for my Achura to overtake the sebiestor (which was one of the best start characters before). The jin-mei had a completely flat attribute set which ment everything was trained at the same speed.
Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#25 - 2015-01-12 15:44:05 UTC
I've always looked at this game from a fun perspective. What ship type do I want to fly next that would be fun? Get the necessary skills to 4 and have at it. Now that I've pretty much got every ship in the game I'm working on all 5's. People that used to tell me to perfect each ship as I went were full of crap.

Find something that looks fun, skill for it, find something else fun, skill for it. When you run out of things that look fun to fly, either you are tired of EVE or can fly everything, then you start maxing everything out.

In my experience my ability to fly any logistics ships, any recon, any battleship, etc., (without literal perfect skills for each one) has served me much better than doing 2% more dps with a certain weapon type.

Not today spaghetti.

Frank Millar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2015-01-12 17:38:24 UTC
^ Certainly. I'm not doing weapon and drone specs to V because there's too little gain for too much time involved.
Kalwas Denitas
#27 - 2015-01-12 22:56:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Kalwas Denitas
I'm not addicted to SP. I've been having fun in this game since I started and only worry about SP when I want to try a new ship or gun. I know folks who only log in to work on SP and I just laugh at them.

Loads of people maxing out skills and setting up queues to be "PVP GODS"....yet will never actually learn to fly well, and only log in to update it all. It's the disease that plagues mmos. The strive to get end game so you can walk around and flaunt it with other elite players who are so much better than the noobs..all the while, never actually enjoying the game for what it's worth.

A waste of money I say. Sp are a means to an end. If you play to queue then you have done it very, very, wrong.

Nothing funnier than a 2005 player asking if they should fly an incursus or Tristan, or if rails are better than blasters. Etc, etc,
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#28 - 2015-01-12 23:59:31 UTC
On a related note, I just queued up the last of the combat Intel / Mem skills on one character.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm still stuck on the idea of reducing EVE to its most basic appeal(s).

No real reason. Trying to figure out my own gameplay, I guess. o/
Velarra
#29 - 2015-01-13 14:56:12 UTC
One of Eve's greatest strengths is that within it, you can plan out a character very long term. You can nurture it and following many months if not years of maintaining the course on a given plan, you can see & actively feel the fruits of staying the course. It's not just a question of collecting stamps while making tongue in cheek OCD jokes about the activity, but the knowing that following the course of a plan opens up new and varied styles of play.

Finally, the above skill planning can be completely separate from the short term goals one may have on any given login instance as long as one has a modicum of general eve resources/skills etc. The PVP pilot who logs into Eve for hours on end can be training leadership skills with a splash of industry so that the PVP pilot can cut back from logged-in heavily involved Eve-time when the summer comes to a close due to RL responsibilities.

If Eve has any weak point it's where these two types of goal planning and follow through intersect. Particularly if one finds more pleasure from long term planning, logistics and the results of following through on long term plans, than with short lived amusements. Particularly despite very much enjoying the short term thrills Eve makes possible.
Lady Rift
What Shall We Call It
#30 - 2015-01-13 17:41:29 UTC
you can quit this game. come back in 2 years and not have to grind for a week straight to catch up to run content with your friends.
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#31 - 2015-01-13 19:26:53 UTC
Kalwas Denitas wrote:
I'm not addicted to SP. I've been having fun in this game since I started and only worry about SP when I want to try a new ship or gun. I know folks who only log in to work on SP and I just laugh at them.

Loads of people maxing out skills and setting up queues to be "PVP GODS"....yet will never actually learn to fly well, and only log in to update it all. It's the disease that plagues mmos. The strive to get end game so you can walk around and flaunt it with other elite players who are so much better than the noobs..all the while, never actually enjoying the game for what it's worth.

A waste of money I say. Sp are a means to an end. If you play to queue then you have done it very, very, wrong.

Nothing funnier than a 2005 player asking if they should fly an incursus or Tristan, or if rails are better than blasters. Etc, etc,

Back in 2005, frigates were kind of a joke. And they surely were NOT what people aspired to fly, or an end goal.
Many of those players are very sad that EVE, the most exotic game ever built, has evolved into 'Frigates Online'.

It IS A GAME, so when it stops being fun, I think people move on, or quit playing. And Battleships, Frigates, Hulks, or whatever will always attract different player base. I'm not saying one way is right or wrong. There is no right or wrong.
15 bucks a month, 50 cents a day, for any kind of fun (even skilling) is still a good deal.

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#32 - 2015-01-22 02:09:33 UTC
I just remapped to Intel / Mem on Rain6638, and queued up a bunch of skills that were injected and untrained. I ended up leaving the client open all day, and Aura's "Skill Training Completed" has chimed out of the speakers and my headphones several times an hour.

I'd still rather not suffer through core skills again, but it was kind of nice. Tempting to make new characters. Almost.
Trey Kutoi
Legion of THOOM
#33 - 2015-01-22 05:24:12 UTC
I hate SP, mostly because I don't have what I need to do what I want. I figure that by the time I get there, I'll have to start blaming myself for all my failures, and my brain would implode under the immense pressure of my wounded ego
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#34 - 2015-01-22 05:27:03 UTC
lol. Yeah, that's one thing EVE is great at. Providing a humbling experience.
Mephiztopheleze
Laphroaig Inc.
#35 - 2015-01-22 07:03:57 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
I just queued up six months of Intel / Mem with Recon V on top, on two of my characters. Most of those skills are Electronics skills to V. Getting ready to tear it up in Recons.

*snip*

What can you say about your addiction to SP?

Being a 6 month old newbie, I'm still climbing that great festering mountain of skillpoints known as "core fitting skills" on both my main and PvP alts, around six months is queued up on each.

My alt might be ready to undock in something slightly more lethal than an Epithal sometime around Christmas.

Maybe. With a few notable exceptions, I've taken that alt down the path of "skill to V only those skills that are prerequisites for something I want to do". The only real exceptions are some of those "really seriously useful to have at V" skills, like Thermodynamics.

My SP addiction seems to come in the form of +3 implants. I really don't like being without them for very long. Even if I just plug in the ones relevant to the skill I'm currently training, it's rare for my main not to have them. Of course, being the newbie, I tend to die a lot and thus spend a lot on +3s.

Occasional Resident Newbie Correspondent for TMC: http://themittani.com/search/site/mephiztopheleze

This is my Forum Main. My Combat Alt is sambo Inkura

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#36 - 2015-01-22 07:29:33 UTC
Yeah, that appetite grows bigger, too. I do stupid things with +4s in like they don't matter.
omgitsbees Isayeki
#37 - 2015-02-07 03:56:24 UTC
Another addict to SP checking in. I really want my character to have level V in every single skill. I know that won't happen unless CCP makes huge changes in the training times to skills, but i'm going to keep my accounts subscribed because I know my character is always improving even while I am not playing.
Elsa Asques
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2015-02-08 19:53:24 UTC
I'm not. I sold my main one year ago and started a new PvP character, that character was biomassed today to start again.
Morgan Agrivar
Doomheim
#39 - 2015-02-09 08:44:53 UTC
I think having a lot of yellow on your eveboard is a beautiful sight. Still working on it myself...

http://eveboard.com/pilot/Morgan_Agrivar

Dominique Vasilkovsky
#40 - 2015-02-09 10:03:16 UTC
Elsa Asques wrote:
I'm not. I sold my main one year ago and started a new PvP character, that character was biomassed today to start again.

You must love training the fitting skills over and over...