These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking™: Ideas, Discussion, and Proposals

First post First post
Author
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#4961 - 2015-12-22 17:22:43 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Mike Voidstar wrote:

Cloaks represent exactly that sort of arbitrary change. They violate one of the most foundational concepts of the game so as to allow one party to dominate the other parties activities without any chance at retribution.

And of course, his problem with cloaks is that they exist at all.

Which is of course why his proposals would basically cripple their being functional at all.

They exist to change the game, dumbshit!

Yeah, and that lie about non-consent for everyone. POS and stations/outposts also allow for players to avoid non-consensual PvP. Of course, doing so makes the game horrifyingly boring...just as avoiding non-consensual PvP with a cloak is horrifyingly boring too. But, hey lets not bring this up lest Mike have an aneurysm about stations not being modules...like nobody noticed that, and that we are not talking about modules, but about avoiding non-consensual PVP.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#4962 - 2015-12-22 17:32:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Mike Voidstar wrote:

I am not surprised you don't understand.

You see, If you were safe while ratting you would continue to do it while the enemy was in system. That does not happen.

The point about the gate is that there is no way to force him to take action. You seem to want to use cases where a ship with a cloak died to say that a ship at a safe under a cloak was in some kind of danger. It's not. You don't bother to put such a ship in dock when enemies hunt it. You just go afk until they get tired or the server shuts down.

It's not about ratting or not ratting. It's about being safe while out of dock. That should not happen to the extent you can turn on your safety blanket and then go to work.

Actually, yes...yes I have ratted with a hostile in system. I used the method I noted a couple pages back. I came in and out of system a number of times in my ishtar. Looked up his KB and that of his corporation. Noted that for the last several pages of kills they had no kills in my TZ, said "Welp, I could still die, but I really doubt it" and ratted away for several hours over the course of several days. Not a single loss.

So yeah, it is absolutely about you ratting. It has always been about people ratting, mining, or whatever.

There are a limited number of ways people use to avoid non-consensual PvP. Funny you only pick one...that affects your ratting. Yes, we know stations are not modules...WTF that has to do with anything IDK since we are talking about this awful "absolute" safety. Whether it is from a module or a station would seem irrelevant to me, but go ahead and have your little fit about stations not being modules....again.

Oh...and what happened to my benefits from AFK cloaking you? Can we conclude there really are no benefits aside from me collecting PvE tears? And to be honest, if I wanted those, I'd go to HS and join up with Kaarous and help him and his lot out.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Brokk Witgenstein
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4963 - 2015-12-22 17:42:06 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:

You will have to clarify to me how they ignored you and you were unable to catch up to them. Eventually you will run them out of their engagement range for the rats, which would stop them ratting, or... I really don't know. I guess you can't cross 130k in a MJD's recharge?

That's quite easy.
First problem we encountered, is that we scanned down the site where the rattler was, and there was an acceleration gate. Ergo: we could not tackle the target and cyno in the fleet. (no cyno allowed).

What we did, was cyno in 1 Astero to take point and hope we could cyno in the others from a nearby offgrid. Alas, our Astero got decloaked by the rattler's MTU. Furthermore, the rattlesnake itself was 130 km further inside the plex. He quickly recloaked as apparently, the rattlesnake hadn't noticed him (it didn't move align or anything of the sort) and started "slowboating" towards the rattler -- more out of curiosity than anything else for it was apparent by then the Astero could never keep scram long enough for us to cyno in near a planet, warp to the acceleration gate, and burn 130 km to assist our comrade. Burn, yes, because can't warp inside a plex either. And slowboating, because we can't use propmods while under cloak.

By the time our yolo Astero (who would have died anyway and we knew it) got somewhat close, the rattlesnake was already done and warped to station.

You may think "you guys s*ck" and you have every right to; but we cannot prepare for every contingency and we couldn't anchor a bubble near the station without his friends noticing. Had he been entirely alone, we would have anchored that bubble and *maybe* stood a chance... but it's still guesswork and the cards are heavily stacked against us. Endless rules and regulations, preventing PvP from happening.

Because let's be honest here: that rattlesnake would have killed half our fleet even IF we could have tackled and cynoed in right on top of him. Rattlers are mean, especially bricktanked mission running ones.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#4964 - 2015-12-22 17:51:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Mike Voidstar wrote:

/Sigh.... Structures are not modules. Modules are not structures.

You know Mike, you look like a complete fool here.

First, do you really think we don't know the difference between a structure and a module? Really?

Then you post "this is not about cloaks, it is about being totally safe."

Well, were you lying then or are you lying now? Because, if you really mean that bullshit about being totally safe, then that opens it up to POS and stations/outposts.

Quote:

I am not an idiot and I am not suicidal. I don't assume a hostile in system is afk.

That is fine MIke. That is indeed your choice. But because you made that choice does not mean that a part of the game has to change to accommodate your choice.

You made a choice, now live with it.

Brokk Witgenstein
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4965 - 2015-12-22 17:54:54 UTC
Besides, most of the time he actually IS safe.

I mined Arkonor with 4 neuts in local. You don't see my Procurer on the lossboard, do you?
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#4966 - 2015-12-22 17:56:48 UTC
Brokk Witgenstein wrote:
Besides, most of the time he actually IS safe.

I mined Arkonor with 4 neuts in local. You don't see my Procurer on the lossboard, do you?

Let me look...nope.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#4967 - 2015-12-22 18:07:38 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:

I am aware you cant force action on safe people. That's a problem when the person is not inside a structure designed to make them safe.

Cloaks are designed to make people safe. I don't care if it is a module, a structure, or a lawn sprinkler.

You keep trying to gin up this distinction as if it is meaningful.

Yes, a cloak can (in certain very limiting situations) make you very, very safe (in fact lets just assume "immune" for the sake of argument). So what? They were designed that way.

It also comes with a cost. You can't do anything so long as you want to preserve that immunity.

Jerghul
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4968 - 2015-12-22 18:09:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Jerghul
Mike
Keep on fighting the good fight. The fools looks sillier and more dishonest for every post they make.

You have won. There will be no more 4/4.

Brokk
I am not counting you as on the ship of fools.

The rattle snake was still not 4/4 and no one is suggesting 3/4 is bad.

You can defang Rattlesnakes with command destroyers btw. Microjumpdrive away with his drones, then scoop them to hold (saw it on youtube).

Blocked list: Teckos, Sonya, Wander, Baltec1

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#4969 - 2015-12-22 18:46:32 UTC
I am going to be pedantic and point out that 3 of us have actually done Stuff™ in system with a "hostile" in system.

AFK cloaking does not mean you have to dock up. You can take that strategy, but then the problems that come with that strategy are on the person utilizing that strategy.

Faelune
Tous Pour Un
#4970 - 2015-12-22 22:14:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Faelune
I don't mind Afk cloaking But it means a deep sleep and a luring shape
Already today, anything that lures light or any wave from a sort or an other is findable. Anything that can radiate wave or particule can be find and can be revealed. And it takes not many time with too much astronomic stuff.

So with this in mind I can't find a reason why a ship can be safe when we can saturate a planetary sytem with probes from all sort by hundred and potentially thousand to track all kind of rocks and their signatures in minutes.
Altogether finding that something is missing or odd inside a wave too long or too short received where it must to have nothing rings always a bell.

The only way to save a cloaking is to hide behind or in something or use energy until depletion to produce a sophisticated lure
Because each astronomer knows the unnatural metallic signature radiate by the frame from a ship .
Mike Voidstar
Voidstar Free Flight Foundation
#4971 - 2015-12-22 23:21:45 UTC
Brokk Witgenstein wrote:
Mike Voidstar wrote:

You will have to clarify to me how they ignored you and you were unable to catch up to them. Eventually you will run them out of their engagement range for the rats, which would stop them ratting, or... I really don't know. I guess you can't cross 130k in a MJD's recharge?

That's quite easy.
First problem we encountered, is that we scanned down the site where the rattler was, and there was an acceleration gate. Ergo: we could not tackle the target and cyno in the fleet. (no cyno allowed).

What we did, was cyno in 1 Astero to take point and hope we could cyno in the others from a nearby offgrid. Alas, our Astero got decloaked by the rattler's MTU. Furthermore, the rattlesnake itself was 130 km further inside the plex. He quickly recloaked as apparently, the rattlesnake hadn't noticed him (it didn't move align or anything of the sort) and started "slowboating" towards the rattler -- more out of curiosity than anything else for it was apparent by then the Astero could never keep scram long enough for us to cyno in near a planet, warp to the acceleration gate, and burn 130 km to assist our comrade. Burn, yes, because can't warp inside a plex either. And slowboating, because we can't use propmods while under cloak.

By the time our yolo Astero (who would have died anyway and we knew it) got somewhat close, the rattlesnake was already done and warped to station.

You may think "you guys s*ck" and you have every right to; but we cannot prepare for every contingency and we couldn't anchor a bubble near the station without his friends noticing. Had he been entirely alone, we would have anchored that bubble and *maybe* stood a chance... but it's still guesswork and the cards are heavily stacked against us. Endless rules and regulations, preventing PvP from happening.

Because let's be honest here: that rattlesnake would have killed half our fleet even IF we could have tackled and cynoed in right on top of him. Rattlers are mean, especially bricktanked mission running ones.

Sounds to me like he took a chance and won. He wasn't safe.

I won't say you guys sucked, but you know the holes in your tactics and it had more to do with your timing and him being done than with his supposed safety.
Mike Voidstar
#4972 - 2015-12-23 06:32:53 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
I am going to be pedantic and point out that 3 of us have actually done Stuff™ in system with a "hostile" in system.

AFK cloaking does not mean you have to dock up. You can take that strategy, but then the problems that come with that strategy are on the person utilizing that strategy.

Thing is... Your argument is that AFK cloaking can simply and safely be ignored. If that is the case it can be removed without any ill effects. If not, then it's effect from a 100% safe position is inappropriate and unbalanced.

Either way cloaks are too safe, and a mechanic that allows for a degree of stealth while not rendering the cloak immune to being hunted should be developed.

You consent to PvP upon undocking. That should be true of everyone in space, not just those you want to hunt.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#4973 - 2015-12-23 08:00:17 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

Thing is... Your argument is that AFK cloaking can simply and safely be ignored. If that is the case it can be removed without any ill effects. If not, then it's effect from a 100% safe position is inappropriate and unbalanced.

Either way cloaks are too safe, and a mechanic that allows for a degree of stealth while not rendering the cloak immune to being hunted should be developed.

You consent to PvP upon undocking. That should be true of everyone in space, not just those you want to hunt.

No. My point is that the risk can be managed. If you try to "bait" the AFK cloaker and he does not take the bait it is strong evidence that he is...actually AFK. Sure he might suspect bait and do nothing, but same thing if you start ratting.

Further, if it were the case that it had no effect, for the safe of argument, it can also be left in game as well. But the reality is that quite a few loss averse people end up in NS. Against these types of players it is an effective tactic. You have staked out this type of behavior yourself, "I assume the hostile is always active" or something to that effect.

Cloaks are only "too safe" if one is essentially not playing the game. And while they are safe....you are safe from them. This has been Mag's point all along. They are only safe so long as they do NOT engage you.

And yeah, when a player undocks he consents to PvP. This is true for cloaks too. When they undock you can shoot them. You can shoot them when they move. Only when they avoid all that PvP, get to a safe spot and then cloak up are they "immune" to PvP...and people are immune from attack from them. It's fine.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#4974 - 2015-12-23 08:52:02 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:

Cloaks are only "too safe" if one is essentially not playing the game. And while they are safe....you are safe from them. This has been Mag's point all along. They are only safe so long as they do NOT engage you.

Of course. They're as safe from you as you are from them. It's fair.

Which is why Mike hates it. He wants it to be unfair in his favor, and for cloaks to be unviable and unable to fulfill their intended purpose.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Mike Voidstar
#4975 - 2015-12-23 08:52:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Mike Voidstar
Cloaks are too safe so long as they allow for 100% safety outside of a dock. The camper isn't 'not playing the game'. He is projecting threat and forcing defensive response from others in the system. Even if you accept the camper is 'not playing the game' as an excuse for that level of safety, you would logically support pods and shuttles also being safe, since they can't do anything either.

Regardless... If you are not inside a structure, you need to be at some form of risk. Cloaks do not pass that standard.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#4976 - 2015-12-23 09:02:42 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:
Cloaks are too safe so long as they allow for 100% safety outside of a dock.

The second they can activate any modules, or have any actual effect on the game, sure.

Til then, you're just crying to selfishly break the game in your favor.

Quote:

The camper isn't 'not playing the game'. He is projecting threat and forcing defensive response from others in the system.

No he is not. He cannot activate any module at all.

Quote:

Regardless... If you are not inside a structure, you need to be at some form of risk. Cloaks do not pass that standard.

You mean the standard you completely made up to dishonestly fit your own selfish criteria?

Yeah, no one cares what you think, liar.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Mike Voidstar
#4977 - 2015-12-23 09:24:00 UTC
On the flipside of that...

If it's OK to be safe, it's ok to be safe.

Everyone should be safe until they choose not to be, no matter how it affects anyone else, for any reason.

I mean, let's not be cherry picking here. It's Ok, or not, for everyone
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#4978 - 2015-12-23 09:30:00 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:

If it's OK to be safe, it's ok to be safe.

Not if you can activate any modules while doing so. Especially not if you're generating income or assets into the game world.

The only reason cloaks are any kind of exception at all is because of how much they cripple the user, both in terms of active gameplay choices and in terms of raw stats on cov ops capable ship classes.

Come on, this isn't that hard.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#4979 - 2015-12-23 09:32:07 UTC
I see the gymnastics continue, yet the entirety of lowsec manage with neuts EVERYWHERE. Some of them docked, actually LITERALLY invincible.

Maybe they are just made of sterner stuff.

Or is that next? "CCPLEASE LET ME UNDOCK PPL"

?
Mike Voidstar
#4980 - 2015-12-23 09:36:20 UTC
Morrigan LeSante wrote:
I see the gymnastics continue, yet the entirety of lowsec manage with neuts EVERYWHERE. Some of them docked, actually LITERALLY invincible.

Maybe they are just made of sterner stuff.

Or is that next? "CCPLEASE LET ME UNDOCK PPL"

?

Docked is fine. Docked is intended to be safe. In space isn't.

The call to be allowed to undock people has been made many times by those on your side of the argument. Some people really don't understand the difference between modules and structures.

Low Secs conditions aren't the same, so the problem isn't as visible. Even so, if it's outside a structure and immune to being hunted, it's too safe.