These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Cruelty can be harmful, a word of warning from the wife of a long term eve player.

First post First post
Author
Selinate
#61 - 2011-12-01 06:10:40 UTC
Nex apparatu5 wrote:
Selinate wrote:
Words

I'm not even going to point out all the logical fallacies here, because holy ****.

If someone has an issue with playing video games, they need to deal with it, it's not my problem.

I don't care if a person says they're rich IRL or dying of cancer. If I steal their carrier, I'm not giving it back.

Stealth Edit:
Selinate wrote:
The above is the biggest copout you Eve/forum nerds can come up with to be dicks. Man up and think about what you're doing sometimes...


No, we're dicks because being dicks is fun, and being a **** in a video game has little/no consequences. We know exactly what we're doing.



no logical fallacies in my post. Just the same lame stupid argument you're using. Again. Man up.
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#62 - 2011-12-01 06:34:35 UTC
TROLLED HARD
Iosue
League of Gentlemen
The Initiative.
#63 - 2011-12-01 15:51:33 UTC
Pi Muka wrote:
His relapse is his own doing regardless of his reasons for it he acknowledges this.


you hit the nail on the head here. using a game to justify a relapse is pretty weaksauce. real life will undoubtedly provide many more reasons for him to repeat this should he so desire. it really comes down to him and whether or not he wants to make a change in his life. the drugs will always be there, as well as the reasons for using them. he has to make his own choice and live with those consequences. if anything, consider it an opportunity for him to practice restraint. if he can play eve with the "bad people" and refrain from using, maybe he can go out into the real world and manage to do the same. real life is where it really matters in the end. in-game friends come and go, all his stuff can be replaced with money and/or time. his RL family, friends and relationships are a different matter and are not so easily replaced. sounds like someone needs to get their priorities sorted...
Barakkus
#64 - 2011-12-01 15:57:32 UTC
Astrid Stjerna wrote:
Barakkus wrote:

I'v gone with what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger for the last 10 years and have refused pain meds unless ABSOLUTELY necessary from my doctor. I won't even take an asprin/tylenol/advil whatever when I have some sort of discomfort just because I know I'm weak when it comes to drugs. :)


I can certainly understand your position, but I do have to raise the general objection that if your body hurts, it's because something is wrong and it needs to be fixed. It remains your decision to take medication or not (and I'm not attempting to dispute that right), but don't let personal pride get in the way of sound judgement.


Pain medication doesn't fix anything, it only masks the pain. I currently have tendonitis (or carpal tunnel, I'm leaning towards carpal tunnel, but my doctor said probably tenodonitis) in my right writs/arm, instead of masking the pain and continue using my arm in a manner that is furthering the irritation, I adjust my usage based on the pain I feel instead of masking it and making it worse. Granted it would reduce the inflamation a bit, but wearing a brace and adjusting my usage is more beneficial to avoid the pain later, plus most pain meds do some nasty **** to you internally with prolonged usage.

http://youtu.be/yytbDZrw1jc

SpaceSquirrels
#65 - 2011-12-01 17:29:08 UTC
Actually physiologically people heal slower when in pain. The cells release various hormones/chemicals when damaged. This can impair proteins or other receptors (and specific white cells) from performing certain functions. Doesn't impede mind you, but slows down.

A body under stress after all.

Granted over doing it also comes along with physiological impairments as well (side effects). But being in constant pain which causes stress, and sleep loss uh.. no so bueno.

For the most part pain meds should be a short term solution (a couple of weeks) rather than the crutch that some people say they need.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#66 - 2011-12-01 18:33:42 UTC
Astrid Stjerna wrote:
Vachir Khan wrote:
It's a game, if someone perceives it to be more than just a game then that person needs his priorities checked. There are ofcourse things like friendships and all that but in the end it's still just a game about space pixels.


'It's a game' is never an excuse for treating someone so badly. Ever.

Actions have consequinces, and the people we hurt in this game are real people -- but sadly, a great many of us lack the emotional maturity and/or intellectual capacity to understand such a simple concept.

I'm saddened that this had to happen, and disgusted to see people trying to justify a tragedy with such a pathetic excuse.


I have a neurolinguistic disorder that causes me to have a violent, painful epilileptic fit whenever anyone tries to be an internet psychiatrist.

I trust you will never be so heartless as to cause me such agony again.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Astrid Stjerna
Sebiestor Tribe
#67 - 2011-12-01 18:36:43 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

I have a neurolinguistic disorder that causes me to have a violent, painful epilileptic fit whenever anyone tries to be an internet psychiatrist.

I trust you will never be so heartless as to cause me such agony again.


NI !!!!

I can't get rid of my darn signature!  Oh, wait....

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#68 - 2011-12-01 18:39:19 UTC
Astrid Stjerna wrote:
Nex apparatu5 wrote:


No, we're dicks because being dicks is fun, and being a **** in a video game has little/no consequences. We know exactly what we're doing.


So, I can walk up and punch someone in the face during a football match? After all, it's just a football game, right? There're no consequinces in a game, are there?

What's that? You've been charged with assault?

Hey, just tell the judge it was only a game. He'll probably let you off with a warning, huh?


Punching someone in a game of football isn't legitimate gameplay. Tackling him high and low and taking the ball from him definitely is (in American football), and that's what happened to the hypothetical husband.

Good luck getting a judge to convict someone of robbery and assault for tackling you in a game of football, no matter how much your emotional well-being depended on your winning it.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Astrid Stjerna
Sebiestor Tribe
#69 - 2011-12-01 18:55:23 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

Punching someone in a game of football isn't legitimate gameplay. Tackling him high and low and taking the ball from him definitely is (in American football), and that's what happened to the hypothetical husband.

Good luck getting a judge to convict someone of robbery and assault for tackling you in a game of football, no matter how much your emotional well-being depended on your winning it.


If I were to tackle someone with excessive and unneccessary force, and the other player was injured, 'it was just a game' will not impress the judge. What happened to the OP's husband was entirely unncessesary, even in the context of a game -- it was an unprovoked, personal attack on someone that they knew had a serious psychological issue.

With full awareness of the potentially damaging effects of their actions, they went ahead with it anyway.

That's not gameplay, that's just sick.

I can't get rid of my darn signature!  Oh, wait....

Vicker Lahn'se
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#70 - 2011-12-01 22:11:33 UTC
Astrid Stjerna wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

Punching someone in a game of football isn't legitimate gameplay. Tackling him high and low and taking the ball from him definitely is (in American football), and that's what happened to the hypothetical husband.

Good luck getting a judge to convict someone of robbery and assault for tackling you in a game of football, no matter how much your emotional well-being depended on your winning it.


If I were to tackle someone with excessive and unneccessary force, and the other player was injured, 'it was just a game' will not impress the judge. What happened to the OP's husband was entirely unncessesary, even in the context of a game -- it was an unprovoked, personal attack on someone that they knew had a serious psychological issue.

With full awareness of the potentially damaging effects of their actions, they went ahead with it anyway.

That's not gameplay, that's just sick.


The adjective you should be considering is "permitted", not "necessary". It is not permitted in football to use enough force to injure another player. It is permitted in Eve to take a person's unprotected stuff.

Your husband could just as easily have had a fit about getting stabbed in the back by a Nightelf rogue while minding his business questing in WoW. He could have had a fit about the cashier at the corner store being rude to him. The Nightelf and the cashier are just doing as they're expected to do.

If your husband overdosed, it's his own fault. If you give him excuses like allowing him to blame a video game, then you are doing more harm to him than any of those people in the game. Anybody can find excuses anywhere.
Astrid Stjerna
Sebiestor Tribe
#71 - 2011-12-01 22:32:27 UTC
Vicker Lahn'se wrote:

The adjective you should be considering is "permitted", not "necessary". It is not permitted in football to use enough force to injure another player. It is permitted in Eve to take a person's unprotected stuff.


No, I said 'neccessary' and I meant 'necessary'. it was absolutely not necessary to treat someone as badly as the OP's husband was treated -- a simple 'Hey, iour ratings got a bit skewed so we'd like your help to repair them' would have sufficed.

Instead, they engaged in an intentional, organized, collective 'snubbing', despite the fact that they were fully aware of his addiction issues, and (one presumes) the attendant emotional problems.

That is not necessary.

There is nothing --absolutely nothing -- in EVE's game mechanics that makes it 'necessary' to behave in such a reprehensible manner. It's just sickening to see someone treated like that.

I can't get rid of my darn signature!  Oh, wait....

Elviraah
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#72 - 2011-12-01 22:52:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Elviraah
Almost lost this thread, thought it got deleted for a second.

Seems it has been moved to out of pod experience. Not sure If I agree with that as it pertains to both real life and in game.

I am behind an alt, and have no intentions of revealing who I really am. Lets just say I am or was a friend of the person being talked about in this thread and I am fully aware of what has happened.

The name of the corporation that did this is Skyforger of the Tactical Narcotics Team, the decision to do this was made by the CEO Eperor with the blessing of Wilba who is the leader of the alliance.

The value of all assets taken in total was between 15-25b isk when considering nearly ready to complete super carrier was among them.

The person being spoken about in this thread had left nearly all of his in game assets inside hangers at his personl pos when he took his leave of absence. Among those assets were a large array of ships conventional and capital a great deal of resources and etc.

Do with this information what you will..
Susano Kurai
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#73 - 2011-12-01 23:43:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Susano Kurai
This is a troll. Ignore this thread. I find it hard to believe that after making the initial post the original poster, having read posts from what I can understand would be confusing comments for someone unfamiliar with this game, chose to ask nothing other than what is a troll?
A person who was really distressed about this would probably not have even paid attention, nor asked about what a troll was.
Another key factor is that the wife who had her husband so affected by this game would choose to interact with the community that caused the problem, or even continue payment of an account to make this post, makes this thread highly unlikely to be true.

If it is true... it's a video game. People who take video games so seriously that they would overdose due to it, for ANY reason, need psychiatric help. Not help from the community that caused the problem.
Elviraah
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#74 - 2011-12-02 00:01:29 UTC
You can call this thread a troll all you want, but I was there. I know what happened.

As for your argument regarding the cancellation of an account, you are aware that accounts remain active until thier time paid has completed. For example, if a credit card is billed on the first of the month and the user cancels on the 2nd, the account is still playable, usable and able to use the forums until the first of the following month.

If you want to defend the actions of these people you can.

I was there, the person whom this thread is about made it VERY clear to the entire corporation his situation, how long he would be gone for. He made sure his pos had enough fuel to last well past his return date and he returned on the day he promised and the corporation took EVERYTHING from him and booted him out of the corp for a bullshit excuse which served on purpose other than to provide a reason to line the prockets of a few at the expense of a player who was very helpful to everyone in the corp who ever needed it.

Astrid Stjerna
Sebiestor Tribe
#75 - 2011-12-02 00:37:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Astrid Stjerna
Susano Kurai wrote:
This is a troll. Ignore this thread. I find it hard to believe that after making the initial post the original poster, having read posts from what I can understand would be confusing comments for someone unfamiliar with this game, chose to ask nothing other than what is a troll?
A person who was really distressed about this would probably not have even paid attention, nor asked about what a troll was.
Another key factor is that the wife who had her husband so affected by this game would choose to interact with the community that caused the problem, or even continue payment of an account to make this post, makes this thread highly unlikely to be true.

If it is true... it's a video game. People who take video games so seriously that they would overdose due to it, for ANY reason, need psychiatric help. Not help from the community that caused the problem.


This is not about 'taking the game too seriously'. This is about a group of people that willfully and intentionally carried out an action when they knew in advance that the person being targeted was suffering from serious health issues. Moreover, they knew -- in advance -- that said issues were having an adverse effect on his family life and personal stability.

I call that kind of behavior sick and sadistic.

I can't get rid of my darn signature!  Oh, wait....

Landrae
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#76 - 2011-12-02 01:50:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Landrae
If you take eve so seriously that you are going to kill yourself over getting kicked by a corp you need to check yourself in you have some wayyyyyyyyyyyyy deeper issues.

Edit: I have played many MMO's over the years, been scammed a few times even had my account s hacked once or twice and been cleaned out having to completely start over. Granted I didn't have drug addiction prior (if what you say is true) The moral here is if stuff in A GAME gets to you that much it may be time to check yourself into a clinic because your problems run way deeper than being betrayed in a game.
Alpheias
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#77 - 2011-12-02 02:56:32 UTC
I still pretty much don't care.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Astrid Stjerna
Sebiestor Tribe
#78 - 2011-12-02 06:51:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Astrid Stjerna
Landrae wrote:
If you take eve so seriously that you are going to kill yourself over getting kicked by a corp you need to check yourself in you have some wayyyyyyyyyyyyy deeper issues.

Edit: I have played many MMO's over the years, been scammed a few times even had my account s hacked once or twice and been cleaned out having to completely start over. Granted I didn't have drug addiction prior (if what you say is true) The moral here is if stuff in A GAME gets to you that much it may be time to check yourself into a clinic because your problems run way deeper than being betrayed in a game.


What you, and others like you, don't seem to comprehend is that it's not the game that caused the issue.

The person involved was eager to return to his friends, and anticipated a 'welcome back, glad you're feeling better' from the people he had come to trust. What he recieved instead was basically the people he'd come to consider 'friends' yelling 'f*** you' and tearing him to pieces.

Rehab is not easy. It's stressful, and emotional, and painful. The very last thing someone needs after that kind of rough ride is to find out that the people that they thought were their friends are going to be complete a**holes to them when they get back.

I can't get rid of my darn signature!  Oh, wait....

Landrae
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#79 - 2011-12-02 09:52:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Landrae
Astrid Stjerna wrote:
Landrae wrote:
If you take eve so seriously that you are going to kill yourself over getting kicked by a corp you need to check yourself in you have some wayyyyyyyyyyyyy deeper issues.

Edit: I have played many MMO's over the years, been scammed a few times even had my account s hacked once or twice and been cleaned out having to completely start over. Granted I didn't have drug addiction prior (if what you say is true) The moral here is if stuff in A GAME gets to you that much it may be time to check yourself into a clinic because your problems run way deeper than being betrayed in a game.


What you, and others like you, don't seem to comprehend is that it's not the game that caused the issue.

The person involved was eager to return to his friends, and anticipated a 'welcome back, glad you're feeling better' from the people he had come to trust. What he recieved instead was basically the people he'd come to consider 'friends' yelling 'f*** you' and tearing him to pieces.

Rehab is not easy. It's stressful, and emotional, and painful. The very last thing someone needs after that kind of rough ride is to find out that the people that they thought were their friends are going to be complete a**holes to them when they get back.


No one says its not easy but if you expect the internet to be some magical land of rainbows and gum drops you are in for a rude awakening.

Edit: If you expect anything more than people being a holes on the web for the sake of being a holes you need to leave. I'll show you to the door.
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#80 - 2011-12-02 10:50:19 UTC
Hi
T
The world is a mean harsh place.
R
My husband is a weak, pathetic failure of a man. More than that, he's one of the o-so many failures of life and evolution. If I bred with him I'd have been doing the world a disservice.
O
I'm probably more of a mother than a wife to him, and that is my personal failure as a human. Both in marrying him and in accepting the mother role that, no matter how hard I try at, will never fix my broken depressed burden-on-society of a husband.
L
The fact my husband obviously needs to be institutionalized, my solution to this problem is going on the internet and talking about this. I mean, those people were really mean. How dare reality be so REAL?!?
L
Internet pixels and anonymous people were the only possessions and friends he had. The entire emotion and trust structure of his personality hinged on Eve Online. The only thing keeping him from spiraling downward into oblivion was this crap spreadsheets in space video game infamous for dishonest and cutthroat people.
E
(well when I say downward I really mean further downward. let's face it, my husband is a loser at everything he's ever done. he spilled his cereal at breakfast this morning. after holding him until he cried himself to sleep he woke up and started his smack addiction again as it was the only way to cope with the spilt milk and cereal.)
D
But I digress. Why are you people so mean to him? You all did this. I just want answers. I'm concerned and I want to open a dialog with the internets. I'm completely honest and truthful and sincere in this task.
H
The fact that no person or couple could ever possibly be this ********, this helpless and clueless, this pathetic and degenerate should not in any way lead you to the conclusion that you are all getting TROLLED HARD.
A
Please internet white knights and other people, intervene and feel like a real exchange of ideas and concerns are taking place here on the eve online forums. This is important.
R
You are all free to have any opinions you want on this of course, because this thread needs another hit, did I say that outloud? I meant this thread needs the healing dialog that will help my husband understand his loss and will provide him the strength he needs to get back on his feet and off his addictions.
D