These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Macintosh

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Crucible Mac Crash Thread

First post
Author
Rob Kent
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#141 - 2012-01-08 16:58:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Rob Kent
No logs? Managed to produce logs by using descriptions earlier in this thread. However, I have no clue about what to do with them.

I'm going o open a petition now and I will not give up.

Wish me luck.
Seraphina Oriana
Doomheim
#142 - 2012-01-08 19:10:50 UTC
Manssell wrote:
And with all the feedback and updates people in the main PC issues thread get at this point I'm starting to think we Mac users need to start shooting the Jitta monument.

Just one problem with that idea - we need to be able to get and stay in game long enough to shoot that flipping monument.
Blaze InfernoArc
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#143 - 2012-01-08 20:06:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Blaze InfernoArc
Day 39, I wish I could show off my pants somehow in my avatar thumbnail. Those things rock.
It's not just the colouring either, the three pockets on one side and one large pouch to balance them really make it look cool.
Not too busy but like there's lots of function there.

And go to it Rob, maybe you'll be the guy to finally get results.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#144 - 2012-01-09 16:53:18 UTC
Rob Kent wrote:
No logs? Managed to produce logs by using descriptions earlier in this thread. However, I have no clue about what to do with them.

I'm going o open a petition now and I will not give up.

Wish me luck.

Luck.
And do a bug report, not a petition. And put the bug report number in this thread as that increases the chance the right person at CCP will see it.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Blaze InfernoArc
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#145 - 2012-01-11 00:22:57 UTC
day 41. Really?
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#146 - 2012-01-11 00:52:21 UTC
Blaze InfernoArc wrote:
day 41. Really?

Is this a FW thread now?

It's pretty clear that the Mac Devs are on vacation. The wisdom of that isn't something I want to argue (and I want to be clear that I see that as Management's fault, not that of the Mac Devs), but at this point bumping the thread only serves to cement the vitriol in the hearts of Mac players....

...Actually keep bumping. Maybe CCP will learn to assign enough Devs to be able to cycle vacation times in order to be able to cover issues like these.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Peter Grayson
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#147 - 2012-01-11 09:19:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Peter Grayson
Guys, I'm near 5 days without any freezing or crash (or so few, maybe a couple but nothing compared to preceding days) …
I didn't change anything and I didn't lower any graphic settings, but I cut-off as many others network tasks I can (background downloads mainly)

I've noticed too :
- Sometimes it seems the game froze but waiting 10/15 sec sand the game awaken (try to wait if your not in a middle of
a pvp fight)
- If playing windowed like I do, never, never, never put the active window game in dock, it definitely achieve to freeze
the display. Prefer cmd-H if needed or move down the window.

Cross-fingers, but actually its playable here… not 100% but playable
Lucille Klenkka
Emergent Entity
#148 - 2012-01-11 16:06:50 UTC
Hi!

I'm thinking that I'm done with Eve totally!

Before Crucible absolute no problems at all. After upgrade crashes after crashes so the game was total unplayable. After several week I could at least some basic mining. After long time I wen't kill some sleepers and now in fighting games is crashing time interval 2-7min. All effects off and still.

So now I can mine ok but nothing else. I have better way to spend my money and time then force killing Eve for reason X today and tomorrow reason Y.....

EvilEvilEvilEvil
Blaze InfernoArc
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#149 - 2012-01-12 16:18:53 UTC
Day 43!

So it looks like there's still like one guy working on this, though he didn't specify whether he had help or not...

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=639308#post639308

Konflikt, Keep working hard, ok?
Zingu
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#150 - 2012-01-14 01:27:56 UTC
Getting a lot of crashes and freezes myself. Mostly freezes which I need to force quit with some random crashes where I'm just thrown to the desktop without any errors.
Zingu
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#151 - 2012-01-14 12:14:46 UTC
After some more trying it seems to be easy to force a freeze at least on my computer.
If I run out of free memory due to inactive memory taking up too much space eve will freeze and will need to be force quitted.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#152 - 2012-01-14 14:07:41 UTC
Zingu wrote:
After some more trying it seems to be easy to force a freeze at least on my computer.
If I run out of free memory due to inactive memory taking up too much space eve will freeze and will need to be force quitted.

How do you get inactive memory to take up too much space?

And ..doing other network activities while eve is up???? That tempting fate, tickling the dragon's tail, and asking for it all at once. If you are having issues, kill ALL other activities other than eve.

Frozen fanfiction

Zingu
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#153 - 2012-01-14 14:24:10 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
Zingu wrote:

How do you get inactive memory to take up too much space?

And ..doing other network activities while eve is up???? That tempting fate, tickling the dragon's tail, and asking for it all at once. If you are having issues, kill ALL other activities other than eve.

Well I only have 4gb worth of ram on this computer, with an uptime of over a day or so and chrome with maybe 5 tabs and some flash, mumble, teamspeak and itunes running it does eat up some memory.
Also If I remember correctly BSD based systems like using all the ram it can for caching frequently used files and stuff like that. The "What is the worth of having gigs of memory if you don't use it?" approach I guess.

This was just a way to force a freeze of the game though and it still happens(, with the messageless crashes to desktop) very frequently, though not as frequently as when you do not have a lot of free ram.
Seraphina Oriana
Doomheim
#154 - 2012-01-15 14:28:07 UTC
I don't think it's to do with Memory - I had 6Gb free when it locked up - 4Gb Inactive - and the rest of the 16Gb was active/wired and no swap.
Blaze InfernoArc
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#155 - 2012-01-15 20:52:46 UTC
well there goes my hypothesis out the window...anyone care to make an educated guess?

Because it's looking like we may have to wait until the next expansion to play eve again...
Seraphina Oriana
Doomheim
#156 - 2012-01-15 23:46:51 UTC
Blaze InfernoArc wrote:
well there goes my hypothesis out the window...anyone care to make an educated guess?

Because it's looking like we may have to wait until the next expansion to play eve again...

Sorreee Big smile

I was in windowed keeping an eye on the ram and CPU via iStat menus.

One thing I did notice though is that when it 'locks up', it's still using CPU cycles in Activity Monitor.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a graphical issue via the transgaming emulator converting the Direct X? Maybe there's something bugging it and it just stops rendering the graphics?
Blaze InfernoArc
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#157 - 2012-01-16 01:26:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Blaze InfernoArc
[/quote]

Sorreee Big smile

One thing I did notice though is that when it 'locks up', it's still using CPU cycles in Activity Monitor.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a graphical issue via the transgaming emulator converting the Direct X? Maybe there's something bugging it and it just stops rendering the graphics?[/quote]

That sounds....so convincing. But then again everything I know about syntactic tech has been picked up second- or third hand from unreliable sources. And from getting old games to work on crappy computers.

Also, Seraphina Oriana that reflective bit on your avatar's bottom lip totally makes the portrait.

edit: quote box isn't working for some reason. Just imagine it, k?
Seraphina Oriana
Doomheim
#158 - 2012-01-16 13:09:04 UTC
Blaze InfernoArc wrote:
edit: quote box isn't working for some reason. Just imagine it, k?

That's coz you start it with a close quote box =P

Also, my portrait is awesome, coz I am awesome! :D
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#159 - 2012-01-16 15:04:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
Seraphina Oriana wrote:
Blaze InfernoArc wrote:

Sorreee Big smile

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a graphical issue via the transgaming emulator converting the Direct X? Maybe there's something bugging it and it just stops rendering the graphics?

Its doing more than that. A little over a month ago I was running 3 clients at once, doing a mining op, when one locked up. The other clients were still working and showed the ship of the locked client in fleet. As soon as I force quit the locked client, its ship dropped fleet and e-warped off.

The client is apparently still communicating with the server during one of these lockups. But don't ask me to repeat it, I have not had a lockup in about a month.

Frozen fanfiction

Cirage
Ventus
#160 - 2012-01-17 12:29:35 UTC
Maybe this has been mentioned before, but there could be a difference between running it on Snow Leopard and Lion as well. It is playable most of the time (I must really like this game) and there are times when I can play for hours without a crash. My younger brother that I finally convinced to take up EVE runs Lion. He has stopped playing, since it crashes all the time. Play 5 mins, crash, play 2 mins, crash and so on. After a couple of crashes EVE has actually been able to freeze Lion, with a reboot as the only option left. Then again, it could be something with support for different graphics drivers as well. All I know for sure is that it was perfectly stable before Crucible, on both our machines. So much for recruiting new players to EVE...