These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Macintosh

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Crucible Mac Crash Thread

First post
Author
Bottle ofMilk
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#121 - 2011-12-31 11:48:00 UTC
Somebody at CCP set my reported bug to "attached to defect". Typical CCP communication here.

Dear CCP, I know you know this problem exists. Fix it and tell us when we can expect a playable game.
Stokerpoons
Capital Supplies
#122 - 2011-12-31 22:05:02 UTC
Just adding my name to the list of freezing/crashing mac client users.

I have been a subscriber since 2004 and have seen my fair share of bugs etc. Most of them didn't involve clients crashing to this extent where you cant actually do anything in fear of a freeze up or crash. Its only recently i changed to Mac from PC so don't know the ins and outs of the problems on the Mac but it would be nice to have a useable client to allow interaction in the game.

In your house, scanning your space....

Blaze InfernoArc
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#123 - 2012-01-02 16:02:57 UTC
Hey guess what guys? 33 days without eve!
Should we keep count with forum posts as a kind of passive protest at both the lack of service and the lack of information?
SPAECMARNIES
State War Academy
Caldari State
#124 - 2012-01-02 18:50:14 UTC
I just let my other accounts lapse. This account will lapse in februari. I switched to voting with my wallet.
Strat Vox
Azure Horizon
#125 - 2012-01-03 14:49:32 UTC
I lowered my graphics settings. No CTD for 24 hours.
Blaze InfernoArc
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#126 - 2012-01-03 16:48:00 UTC
strat...doesn't that generally indicate a memory leak?
I'm not an expert in syntactic tech, but I've been told that for similar situations.

Anyways, day 34!
Strat Vox
Azure Horizon
#127 - 2012-01-03 18:14:15 UTC
Blaze InfernoArc wrote:
strat...doesn't that generally indicate a memory leak?
I'm not an expert in syntactic tech, but I've been told that for similar situations.

Anyways, day 34!

Couldn't really tell you. I just put gas and oil in. Big smile

But I'm still good - no crashes, no freezes.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#128 - 2012-01-03 19:37:48 UTC
Strat Vox wrote:
I lowered my graphics settings. No CTD for 24 hours.

I always play with low graphics settings and get very few crashes.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Vic Dornier
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#129 - 2012-01-04 09:14:22 UTC
Got home to my iMac today, and decided to do a full reinstall and wipe my preferences folder. No help. Still freezes up after minutes of play. I have tried high and low graphics setting, but one thing that has been consistent (at least today) is that opening the fitting window freezes the client.

Not getting a bug squashed a month after update - well, what to say....

iMac 3.2GHz i3/4GB DDR3@1333MHz/ATI Radeon HD 5670 512MB/OS-X 10.7.2
Blaze InfernoArc
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#130 - 2012-01-05 12:28:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Blaze InfernoArc
Day 36. It was a windy day, full of drear horizons and mud. Lots of mud.

Hey maybe they're just in one of those situations where it's been so long that they are afraid of what they need to say; the longer this goes on the harder it gets to say it...

It's ok Ccp, I still love you.
SPAECMARNIES
State War Academy
Caldari State
#131 - 2012-01-05 16:18:11 UTC
Well. Latest client patch didn't fix a thing either.
Rob Kent
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#132 - 2012-01-06 14:21:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Rob Kent
I've had this problem since patch as well. I've tried three (!) different Macbook Pro's and I can, after over a month of client freezes (= force quit every single freeze) say that it happens more on the Macbook Pro that had 4GB instead of 8GBs which the other two had.

And, not to be whiny but, it's hard to be any useful in fleets and paying the monthly fee just to keep the skill training going is quite irritating.
Blaze InfernoArc
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#133 - 2012-01-06 16:32:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Blaze InfernoArc
Day 37.

Maybe someone needs to head over to the fanfest, get on the mic and ask the big question on behalf of their mac brothers and sisters?

The question being: "What's going on with the mac service outage? a month is a long time..."
SPAECMARNIES
State War Academy
Caldari State
#134 - 2012-01-06 20:30:37 UTC
Rob Kent wrote:
I've had this problem since patch as well. I've tried three (!) different Macbook Pro's and I can, after over a month of client freezes (= force quit every single freeze) say that it happens more on the Macbook Pro that had 4GB instead of 8GBs which the other two had.

And, not to be whiny but, it's hard to be any useful in fleets and paying the monthly fee just to keep the skill training going is quite irritating.

Odd thing, on my macbook it works "fine", without crashing. It has less memory though, and a worse videocard. But because the hardware is so much less powerful it's a total pain to play on.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#135 - 2012-01-06 22:19:21 UTC
And my MacBook Pro usually works fine, maybe one crash or lockup per 20 hours of on line time. Last one was a few hours ago: crash to desktop.

Ive had more crashes since turning on shadows.....

Frozen fanfiction

Manssell
OmiHyperMultiNationalDrunksConglomerate
#136 - 2012-01-07 16:51:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Manssell
Blaze InfernoArc wrote:
Day 37.

Maybe someone needs to head over to the fanfest, get on the mic and ask the big question on behalf of their mac brothers and sisters?

The question being: "What's going on with the mac service outage? a month is a long time..."

I was patient with the silence during the holidays. But I'm starting to wonder if anyone outside of Konflikit works on the Mac client.

And with all the feedback and updates people in the main PC issues thread get at this point I'm starting to think we Mac users need to start shooting the Jitta monument.
Rob Kent
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#137 - 2012-01-07 18:38:35 UTC
SPAECMARNIES wrote:
Rob Kent wrote:

Odd thing, on my macbook it works "fine", without crashing. It has less memory though, and a worse videocard. But because the hardware is so much less powerful it's a total pain to play on.

Feels like video card specific, different video cards seem to give different results.

However, I've discovered that I get fewer crashes the less memory I use, meaning closing a lot of applications before starting EVE helps, but it does not guarantee a crash safe gaming session.
Blaze InfernoArc
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#138 - 2012-01-07 22:26:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Blaze InfernoArc
Rob Kent wrote:
SPAECMARNIES wrote:
Rob Kent wrote:

Feels like video card specific, different video cards seem to give different results.

However, I've discovered that I get fewer crashes the less memory I use, meaning closing a lot of applications before starting EVE helps, but it does not guarantee a crash safe gaming session.

Yeah...that's a memory leak if I've ever heard one. And for one to be introduced with what amounts to a graphics/UI upgrade to boot. Not good.

Also, Day 38, and spaecmarnies, your name made me laugh. awesome.

The worst part is that we have no information. We don't know if this is CCP doing badly in the bug department or if it's Transgaming's lack of competence; for all we know, transgaming has ccp over a barrel and ccp can't say what's wrong for fear of breaking contract/souring relations with their mac emulation contractor.
Or, ccp has decided we aren't important enough.
Is there a third option, anyone?
SPAECMARNIES
State War Academy
Caldari State
#139 - 2012-01-08 11:40:40 UTC
The response I got from a GM regarding a new petition I made in lieu of this, mentioned they had just returned from holiday holidays (I can get into that) and they had a lot of other stuff to do (I cannot get into that).

Apparently a game-breaking issue like this isn't a high priority.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#140 - 2012-01-08 14:30:45 UTC
Blaze InfernoArc wrote:

Is there a third option, anyone?

Yeah, there is. Its a difficult problem because it effects only a few Mac users, and none of those are testers at CCP. They cannot reproduce the issue, and the issue makes no logs that we can send in for them to study. How do you find and fix such a bug?

Frozen fanfiction