These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Macintosh

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Crucible Mac Crash Thread

First post
Author
Strat Vox
Azure Horizon
#101 - 2011-12-22 17:17:16 UTC
Narh Oomi wrote:
Crash this evening when undocking.

"Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000039 at address 0x71cf71d5"

2.66GHz Intel Core i7

Thats exactly like mine. Same address and everything. Including the undocking thing.

I did have a freeze last night also - I haven't had more than two or three of those.
pmchem
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#102 - 2011-12-23 16:29:08 UTC
had a couple crashes on startup (never reaching login screen). deleted my machonet and bulkdata directories in:
~/Library/Application Support/EVE Online/p_drive/Local Settings/Application Data/CCP/EVE/c_program_files_ccp_eve_tranquility/cache

then client started ok. maybe voodoo, maybe not. 10.7.2 on a macbookpro3,1 also running safari, xcode, adium. crucible 1.0.3 client patch 1 (now patching to 2)

https://twitter.com/pmchem/ || http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/community-spotlight-garpa/ || Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#103 - 2011-12-24 00:31:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
May not be vodoo. One thing Ive noticed over the years as expansions and updates come out is that the Mac client is much less stable right after the update, but gets better more I use it. Its like its learning how not to crash. Well, maybe what its doing is replacing corrupt data with valid data, a process that can be sped up by deleting all the data, or doing a clean install.

Edit: Unless its the data created by a so called "clean install" that is corrupt, and only in having the client connected to the server do we get the non-corrupt data....

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Lexmana
#104 - 2011-12-24 14:09:40 UTC
I have the same issues as others in this thread. Freezing and becoming totally unresponsive as well has sounding like a stuck cd (remember those?). I think I also have a reliable way to reproduce it. It seems like always when I have the client running in the background (when for example forum warrioring) it will freeze.

Bad timing since I was about to go dual client in couple of days :p
Bottle ofMilk
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#105 - 2011-12-24 20:01:11 UTC
**** you, CCP.

Quote:

/Applications % rm -rf EVE\ Online.app/
Bottle ofMilk
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#106 - 2011-12-24 20:06:10 UTC
Also

Quote:

~/Library/Application Support % rm -rf EVE\ Online

I have been more than helpful and patient with this issue and all issues in the past. But the game is still freezing and in the mean time you have literally deleted my petitions without any communication whatsoever. This is quite the contrary of what you've been telling your user base in regards of support and "being awesome", CCP. It's counter productive and, honestly, rather pathetic. Enjoy the free money you had from people who paid for not being able to play a game.
Aavahelukka
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#107 - 2011-12-25 14:50:51 UTC
Did too
Blaze InfernoArc
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#108 - 2011-12-25 15:35:36 UTC
So I've been playing this new game called "EVE: chatroom edition" where you sit in a station, watch old news from those lazy folks at the scope and chat with people who are apparently having fun in spaceships?

Just kidding. But seriously, a whole month has gone by just about and still no news of progress, a fix or anything and now I'm reading about petitions being deleted without response? what? That kinda means some people need to be fired.
Preferably not on xmas eve...but still.
I imagine the story is like this: you've got two guys working furiously somewhere, with angrier and angrier emails zipping out of those two guys' office because its just two guys; and really this problem is beyond their ability to scan and analyze hundreds of thousands of lines of code and really should be handled by a larger team, as evidenced by the fact that there is still no fix for the main problem of getting EVE to play on a mac after a month, but lots of other mac fixes and tweaks have been released...sadly unenjoyed by the mac community as of yet.
In the meantime, petitions pile up and the GM's working this have gotten tired of getting paid to type "Sorry for the inconvenience, we'll get right on it" and have decided that no response is the best one.

It is not.

I can forgive this. Of course I can. But really guys, there IS a clock here, and what happens when the second month goes by, and someone decides that hey, we had an agreement involving what I could play this on.
At this point, a month on, the bridge crew needs to get involved and the red shirts need to start piling into the transporter room.
Strat Vox
Azure Horizon
#109 - 2011-12-25 16:55:19 UTC
Oddly enough, no crashes or freezes today. Merry Christmas.
Naomi Darson
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#110 - 2011-12-26 01:57:41 UTC
Still freezing every time I log in within 15 minutes of undocking. 2011 Mac Mini with 8GB ram and discrete graphics.
Peter Grayson
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#111 - 2011-12-26 19:40:45 UTC
yesterday was calm too, only one freeze … That's why its so curious ! Can play 6 hours smoothly, and the morning after have 10 crash in one hour.
Forando
Interstellar Cowards
#112 - 2011-12-26 19:47:58 UTC
I've had freezes since last patch. Not getting more then 5sec to 10min of gameplay before forcing a quit. Now I've reinstalled EVE from the sites download (Deleting the EVE Online app won't delete your settings UI) and now running three clients for hours.

My guess is the patcher corrupted on some systems. It might be worth a try, for those with the problem.

Good luck and fly safe.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#113 - 2011-12-27 13:54:36 UTC
There are others in my corp having crash issues too. Except they use PCs. Apparently there are issues with this client that are much broader than just Mac users.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Strat Vox
Azure Horizon
#114 - 2011-12-27 15:32:59 UTC
No crashes or freezes at all on the 25th. Came back with a vengence on the 26th and still CTDing today. Sad

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#115 - 2011-12-27 17:40:07 UTC
Blaze InfernoArc wrote:

I can forgive this. Of course I can. But really guys, there IS a clock here, and what happens when the second month goes by, and someone decides that hey, we had an agreement involving what I could play this on.
At this point, a month on, the bridge crew needs to get involved and the red shirts need to start piling into the transporter room.

I went and installed boot camp. Forcing me to do this to play the game has cost CCP a *LOT* of goodwill, since I don't have a functional superdrive so installing windows requires a Royal PITA set of workarounds (including copying a virtual harddrive [20gig] ~4 times). And finding that Eve requires 18gigs of space to install what's supposed to be a 6gig client (really 11) So I spend about 2 days not playing Eve at all, while I configure Windows. Then when I start playing Eve in Windows I find an extraordinarily better playing experience (and windows can only see 3gigs of my 4gigs ram), which implies that very little optimization work has actually been done on the Mac client.

We Mac users have set an exceedingly low bar for the Mac Eve client. We want it stable, we're not concerned about running with a high frame rate or being able to touch the graphics settings (I've had to reinstall more than once because I wanted to look at shiney). The Mac client currently fails to clear the bar that you expect late Alpha, early Beta software to have figured out. And without communication, all we can assume is that CCP's plan for dealing with this is to go "LALALALALALALALALALA" with their fingers in their ears until all the Mac users unsub.

Mind, I don't blame the Mac Devs. I'm sure they're as frustrated as we are. I blame management for not allocating any resources to making the client playable.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Strat Vox
Azure Horizon
#116 - 2011-12-28 14:18:05 UTC
A little bit of communication would be a desireable thing. Even if it is "Hey guys, we're working on it!" or "we don't know what the hell it is but we're still at it."

I understand problems. I don't understand ignoring a customer.
Bottle ofMilk
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#117 - 2011-12-28 17:16:29 UTC
Strat Vox wrote:

Not empty quoting.
Invisusira
Escalated.
OnlyFleets.
#118 - 2011-12-31 03:23:44 UTC
WOW

WOULD BE NICE TO PLAY EVE

INSTEAD OF IT CRASHING 3 TIMES IN THE LAST 15 MINUTES

I'd provide you with a crash report but it's the same ******* story as it has been since you released Crucible; music skips, screen freezes, cursor moves, force quit, no crash log!

\o/

F S
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#119 - 2011-12-31 04:32:15 UTC
Bottle ofMilk wrote:
Strat Vox wrote:

Not empty quoting.

Totally Fully Floating.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Indigo Deninard
Antex Solutions
#120 - 2011-12-31 11:20:57 UTC
Thought I had fixed the problem with increasing fan speed, indeed for a couple of days playing I had no crashes. But then out of the blue everything froze again and i had to force quit. Temp was normal levels. So now am just running on default fan settings, much quieter.

I appreciate that CCP actually support the Mac unlike a lot of other developers. But it would be nice for a little communication even if it's "we don't know whats wrong bear with us etc". Especially after the open letter from the CEO admitting how they had got things wrong in the past. Sad