These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

War on Gankers

First post
Author
Karl Jerr
Herzack Unit
#341 - 2015-01-07 01:36:41 UTC
Market McSelling Alt wrote:

Interfering with a players desired gameplay technique or trying to force players to play a certain way is griefing and absolutely horrible. But like Kell said, it isn't up to me or you, it is up to CCP and one day I am sure they will get fed up with it like they did Isboxer and FW exploits.

That would kill a large part of interaction in this game and put in question why all the players are in the same universe.
I lost a T3 into a gatecamp the last weekend because 1/ I f*cked up my covops cycle and 2/ I forgot to travel fit the low with warp stabs. You could say "yes but it is in low sec, there are no victims here", yes and it is the same in high.
You take the risk you pay the price, or not depending of the actions of the event.
Solonius Rex
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#342 - 2015-01-07 05:52:08 UTC
Tear Jar wrote:
Solonius Rex wrote:

Interfering with a players desired gameplay technique or trying to force players to play a certain way is griefing and absolutely horrible. But like Kell said, it isn't up to me or you, it is up to CCP and one day I am sure they will get fed up with it like they did Isboxer and FW exploits.

Isnt this something that happens, all the time, in low and nullsec? I can go into lowsec with a yeild fit retreiver, and some lowsec pirate will either kill me, or force me to change my habits. It doesnt matter if i dont want to engage in pvp, he will still come at me, and he will still kill me. By your logic, anyone who doesnt want to fight, but is engaged by someone else in lowsec or nullsec, is being greifed.

The fundamental difference is expectations. Carebears expect pvp in low or null but don't in highsec. Highsec is supposed to be a safe space to farm isk without worries. That perception is changing because of the New Order though.

You see the same thing in reverse in null/low occasionally. People get angry that ratters/missioners won't fight.

Must be a rude awakening, when they find out that this isnt Star Trek Online.
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#343 - 2015-01-07 07:30:46 UTC
Hei OP, how is the rebellion going? Any results yet? Your killboard looks a bit empty.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#344 - 2015-01-07 07:59:07 UTC
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:
Welp, looks like you've figured out the answer, then. If CCP says it ain't griefing in Eve, it ain't griefing in Eve. That's really all there is to it. It doesn't matter how you try to massage it, if CCP gives the thumbs-up, it's all good.
Well no, CCP allowing it doesn't change the definition of the word. At the end of the day it's still griefing. Strictly speaking it's not even within their rules, since it's just RP being used as an excuse to grief.

In fact, CCP has made it pretty clear that if it came down to losing subs vs. changing their own visions for Eve, they'll sacrifice the subs.
Bull! They did a 180 on their vision for EVE when a bunch of players shot a monument. I'm sure there are many other changes driven by mass player whining too, just not as obvious.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#345 - 2015-01-07 08:21:05 UTC
I find it pretty doubtful that they're gonna flip on this issue any time soon. The debate among the players has been raging for years as it stands.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Cheese Crackers
Malfurion Mining
#346 - 2015-01-07 08:24:56 UTC
at the end of the day it changes meta, who wants a stagnant game
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#347 - 2015-01-07 08:26:25 UTC
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
I find it pretty doubtful that they're gonna flip on this issue any time soon. The debate among the players has been raging for years as it stands.
You could say the same about input broadcasting, or highsec awoxing. At the end of the day, when CCP decides enough is enough and players are being upset by being griefed, they'll act. To be honest, if all of the players that get ganked and trolled in local by code reported it, I'm sure they'd turn round pretty quickly with some changes. The problem is that groups like code scare people into thinking they aren't allowed to, or that it's useless to, report it, that their grieifing is actively allowed.

Rein Chelien
Nova Express
#348 - 2015-01-07 11:25:19 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
You could say the same about input broadcasting, or highsec awoxing. At the end of the day, when CCP decides enough is enough and players are being upset by being griefed, they'll act. To be honest, if all of the players that get ganked and trolled in local by code reported it, I'm sure they'd turn round pretty quickly with some changes. The problem is that groups like code scare people into thinking they aren't allowed to, or that it's useless to, report it, that their grieifing is actively allowed.

Are you serious?

Do you believe CCP isn't aware of minerbumping or half the things put into Crime & Punishment much less what goes on in their software? People don't need to report anything to CCP because they already broadcast it all over the place. Further, CCP could look at the logs DIRECTLY if they want to know exactly what transpires in their game.

I'm very certain that they're aware of this ALOD just as an example. It's famous.

What people need to do isn't reporting things to CCP that CCP already has ready access to. They need to learn to play the game better.

This Abaddon aggressed an Incursus in a total crap fit and lost his ship, which was followed up by his buddy in a Raven Navy coming to his rescue firing torpedoes at a frigate. Duh.

What exactly is CCP supposed to do with these guys? The problem isn't that they're getting shot at, the problem is that they don't understand how the game works. Both guys, no tears. They weren't happy about it, but I bet they learned something in the process. Would I do it again? Yes. Why not?

The day you'll know that CCP has "done a 180" on highsec mechanics is when they simply remove CONCORD altogether and lock everyone's safety to green the moment you enter a highsec system. The result: more people flying around in ships they don't understand blissfully ignorant of how the game really works and as a result effectively confined to a subset of the systems in the game forever.

If you don't want to be shot at, play games where there are no guns... like spades or checkers.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#349 - 2015-01-07 12:34:42 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Okay, I'm calling the mods. This is absurd.
I don't think there's a forum rule that states I'm not allowed to say things you disagree with. Nice to see you are conceding defeat though and trying to get the thread closed.

Nothing to do with that. Only the blatantly off topic circular foolishness you were engaged in. Typical of you to try and divert it, but it's obvious to any who cares to look at the thread.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#350 - 2015-01-07 12:37:29 UTC

Interfering with a players desired gameplay technique or trying to force players to play a certain way is griefing and absolutely horrible.

Wrong. I don't care what your "desired gameplay technique" might be, you are in no way entitled to play the game that way. You enforce your ability to do so at the barrel of a gun.

Sandbox means that you can try and succeed at whatever you want, not that you will succeed at whatever you try.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

admiral root
Red Galaxy
#351 - 2015-01-07 12:38:14 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
The problem is that groups like code scare people into thinking they aren't allowed to, or that it's useless to, report it, that their grieifing is actively allowed.

Dear Lucas "Veers" Kell, the problem with this statement is that many of us openly encourage the reporting of any and all griefing because it's wrong. Also, I'm intrigued by a number of "factual" statements you've made in this thread. Given your apparent intimiate knowledge of botting and the New Order, is there anything you'd like to share with the class? You surely must have acquired these "facts" through field work?

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#352 - 2015-01-07 12:44:55 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
To be honest, if all of the players that get ganked and trolled in local by code reported it, I'm sure they'd turn round pretty quickly with some changes.

That's hilarious. If even half of the people who claim they have reported me since I started playing this game 8 years ago actually did report me... then I personally have been reported about a hundred times.

And yet... nothing. The only inactive accounts I have are ones I deactivated myself.

Quote:

The problem is that groups like code scare people into thinking they aren't allowed to, or that it's useless to, report it, that their grieifing is actively allowed.

Probably because it is against the rules to falsely report something out of spite. Abusing the petition system is a rule that CCP rarely enforces, but almost every miner is guilty of. Hey, just like harassment in local.

Best Meltdown Ever.

La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#353 - 2015-01-07 13:25:33 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Omar Alharazaad wrote:

Dumb da dumb dumb duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

Velicitia
XS Tech
#354 - 2015-01-07 14:47:50 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

In fact, CCP has made it pretty clear that if it came down to losing subs vs. changing their own visions for Eve, they'll sacrifice the subs.
Bull! They did a 180 on their vision for EVE when a bunch of players shot a monument. I'm sure there are many other changes driven by mass player whining too, just not as obvious.

While true, you have to look at the population that was doing this.

It wasn't some 2 month old scrubs, but the vets who've been here practically forever (some HAVE been here forever). CCP wasn't looking at "losing some subs" but rather "losing their core audience".

On top of that, you also have to realize (and acknowledge) that the whole affair wasn't their caused by the "vision for eve" (e.g. WiS) but rather the internal memos (etc.) and sheer "**** you guys" attitude from certain individuals (*cough* Zulu *cough*) when CCP finally responded DAYS after the initial player reaction/disappointment. CCP has since realized their egos were too big for their own good (and the good of New Eden as a whole), and as such have redirected to a more healthy position.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#355 - 2015-01-07 16:21:32 UTC
Rein Chelien wrote:
Are you serious?

Do you believe CCP isn't aware of minerbumping or half the things put into Crime & Punishment much less what goes on in their software? People don't need to report anything to CCP because they already broadcast it all over the place. Further, CCP could look at the logs DIRECTLY if they want to know exactly what transpires in their game.
I don't care if they are aware or not. If people feel like what code are doing is griefing, and that they are negatively impacting their game purposely to upset them, then they are well within their right to report it. Enough people reporting things like that is absolutely one of the methods change is brought about.

Rein Chelien wrote:
What exactly is CCP supposed to do with these guys? The problem isn't that they're getting shot at, the problem is that they don't understand how the game works. Both guys, no tears. They weren't happy about it, but I bet they learned something in the process. Would I do it again? Yes. Why not?
And that's a great story, but it's not what code does. Code trolls and pushes people to get upset. CCP state that griefing in that way isn't allowed, even using RP as an excuse, yet that's what happens. So it's really not a big jump for them to actually enforce that, and enough upset players will make them look at it a bit closer.

Rein Chelien wrote:
The day you'll know that CCP has "done a 180" on highsec mechanics is when they simply remove CONCORD altogether and lock everyone's safety to green the moment you enter a highsec system. The result: more people flying around in ships they don't understand blissfully ignorant of how the game really works and as a result effectively confined to a subset of the systems in the game forever.

If you don't want to be shot at, play games where there are no guns... like spades or checkers.
So if they did that what your saying is there'd be more people flying around? Sounds great! At the end of the day, I couldn't give a flying **** if some wow noob wants to come over here and play EVE without getting killed. Those of us willing to go out and play in riskier space would still continue to do so, and their existence would be irrelevant to me. For CCP it would mean more income.

It's the same argument about Elite:Dangerous. Some people hate that there's a solo mode, because it means some people are getting to play a game yet not availing themselves to be shot at. It wouldn't matter if that same player played solo more or didn't play, but some people think they shouldn't be able to play at all just because they don't want to play in the same way. I guess you're the same way. Someone playing EVE in safety is as irrelevant as someone playing checkers. Sure, reward needs to be looked at to bring that in line, but beyond that, why get so upset just because someone wants to shoot red crosses in a glorified chat room?

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#356 - 2015-01-07 16:24:48 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Okay, I'm calling the mods. This is absurd.
I don't think there's a forum rule that states I'm not allowed to say things you disagree with. Nice to see you are conceding defeat though and trying to get the thread closed.

Nothing to do with that. Only the blatantly off topic circular foolishness you were engaged in. Typical of you to try and divert it, but it's obvious to any who cares to look at the thread.
I was keeping it on topic - you know, about how code are griefiers. You are the one trying to drag it into an enormous discussion about CCPs bot detection methods.

admiral root wrote:
Dear Lucas "Veers" Kell, the problem with this statement is that many of us openly encourage the reporting of any and all griefing because it's wrong.
Yes, I've seen the way code "encourages" people to report them. You basically laugh and troll them into the belief that there's no point in doing it. Perhaps if you hate griefing so much, you could try not grieifng?

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#357 - 2015-01-07 16:32:50 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Probably because it is against the rules to falsely report something out of spite. Abusing the petition system is a rule that CCP rarely enforces, but almost every miner is guilty of. Hey, just like harassment in local.
It is indeed. It's not however against the rules to report someone you feel has purposely harassed or upset you. Even if CCP disagrees, people have the right to determine if they feel harassed by other players. Enough people becoming upset by a groups actions would cause CCP to pay attention. It's not abusing the petition system just because you personally don't think it's griefing.

Velicitia wrote:

It wasn't some 2 month old scrubs, but the vets who've been here practically forever (some HAVE been here forever). CCP wasn't looking at "losing some subs" but rather "losing their core audience".
Oh, I see, so a 2 month old "scrub" has no right to be upset about the game and is entirely irrelevant?

CCP needs new subscribers, they made this clear last fanfest. They are already looking at changes that hurt vets and support newbies. At some point a group that gets it's kicks through purposely upsetting other players might not be what CCP wants to support.

Velicitia wrote:
On top of that, you also have to realize (and acknowledge) that the whole affair wasn't their caused by the "vision for eve" (e.g. WiS) but rather the internal memos (etc.) and sheer "**** you guys" attitude from certain individuals (*cough* Zulu *cough*) when CCP finally responded DAYS after the initial player reaction/disappointment. CCP has since realized their egos were too big for their own good (and the good of New Eden as a whole), and as such have redirected to a more healthy position.
Yes, it was internal memos about their vision for EVE. People didn't like it, they protested and CCP backed down, reorganised their teams and changed direction. There's nothing to stop that exact same thing happening again.

admiral root
Red Galaxy
#358 - 2015-01-07 17:15:00 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Yes, I've seen the way code "encourages" people to report them. You basically laugh and troll them into the belief that there's no point in doing it.

My post history would like a word with you.

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

Velicitia
XS Tech
#359 - 2015-01-07 17:40:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Velicitia
Lucas Kell wrote:

Velicitia wrote:

Oh, I see, so a 2 month old "scrub" has no right to be upset about the game and is entirely irrelevant?

Not when your options are "2 month old noob, and trends show that only last 4-6 months anyway" vs. "multi-year vet, who the same trends show that they're 'never' gonna quit eve".

Yeah, some 2 month old players do stick to EVE, and some vets do end up leaving ... but given historical data (and the real-world desire to "keep the lights on") ... who would you rather be working at keeping happy?

Edit - now obviously, things can and will change ... but ganking / "wardecs for no reason" / lie, cheat*, steal your way to the top / etc. will always be core gameplay elements.

*cheat within the confines of what's allowed per the rules (so no, I'm not saying botting or RMT or other bannable offences are OK).

Lucas Kell wrote:
Velicitia wrote:
Yes, it was internal memos about their vision for EVE. People didn't like it, they protested and CCP backed down, reorganised their teams and changed direction. There's nothing to stop that exact same thing happening again.

Yeah, because that "vision" was "turn EVE into [generic F2P / P2W MMO of the week]".

As for nothing to stop them from trying again ... how about all those multi-year vets who have stuck around because they realized the error of their ways, hmmm?

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Rein Chelien
Nova Express
#360 - 2015-01-07 18:31:03 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

I don't care if they are aware or not. If people feel like what code are doing is griefing, and that they are negatively impacting their game purposely to upset them, then they are well within their right to report it. Enough people reporting things like that is absolutely one of the methods change is brought about.

Report away. Although your bar here is extremely subjective. If I come in with an exhumer and start strip mining the roid someone else in a velator is mining, is that negatively impacting them? Yes. If I form a corporation and recruit people in favorable time zones to clear all of the belts in a given highsec system of valuable ores right after downtime is that negatively impacting the game? Yes. Might they be upset about that? Sure. So should we make all of the roids in highsec have infinite ore so nobody has to share?

Lucas Kell wrote:
Code trolls and pushes people to get upset. CCP state that griefing in that way isn't allowed, even using RP as an excuse, yet that's what happens. So it's really not a big jump for them to actually enforce that, and enough upset players will make them look at it a bit closer.

Again. Totally subjective. Who knows what will make someone upset. I just had a war target miner swearing at me because he didn't dock up when I came into the system he was in and he was blissfully mining away in a belt. I literally said nothing to this person.

Rein Chelien > o/
Miner War Target > **** you *******
Rein Chelien > why?
Miner War Target > I did nothing to you *******
Rein Chelien > is this what valor evolves into?
Miner War Target > You take **** too seriously then
Rein Chelien > what am I taking too seriously? you're the one swearing.
Miner War Target > I joined for mining, not to be taken out by some ******

You're in a corporation that's at war. The guy who has been killing your ships left and right comes into the system and you have a good minute or so to pack it up or reship and fight (please reship). You do nothing and continue mining away and then when you get killed, you convo your killer and spew the above. Did I shoot at him on purpose? Yes. Was he war decced because I expected to make new friends? Not realistically (although I'd be open to it). Did I negatively impact his game play? I'd say no because I've given him a purpose to play the game and created content for him but he seems to disagree at the moment.

Should the above be reported? What's the difference?

Lucas Kell wrote:
At the end of the day, I couldn't give a flying **** if some wow noob wants to come over here and play EVE without getting killed.

On this, we agree. I'm happy if they come over here and want to play. Just don't expect me to play wow in space as a result. That's not what I signed up for and my money is just as good as theirs.[/quote]

Lucas Kell wrote:

Those of us willing to go out and play in riskier space would still continue to do so, and their existence would be irrelevant to me. For CCP it would mean more income.

Dubious. If you're not losing anything in the game eventually you can just buy PLEX on the market with ISK and stop paying money each month to CCP for your subscription. All but one of the PLEXes I've ever purchased with cash (above my subscription fee) have been to replace losses incurred by losing things in the game somehow. My point though was that if you're living in a risk-free bubble in highsec, the transition to other areas of the game is going to be that much more difficult to make.

Lucas Kell wrote:

It's the same argument about Elite:Dangerous. Some people hate that there's a solo mode, because it means some people are getting to play a game yet not availing themselves to be shot at. It wouldn't matter if that same player played solo more or didn't play, but some people think they shouldn't be able to play at all just because they don't want to play in the same way. I guess you're the same way. Someone playing EVE in safety is as irrelevant as someone playing checkers. Sure, reward needs to be looked at to bring that in line, but beyond that, why get so upset just because someone wants to shoot red crosses in a glorified chat room?

I'm not upset that someone wants to shoot red crosses in a glorified chat room. I don't want someone else forcing me to shoot at red crosses in a glorified chat room.

One thing that I believe really sets many of the people on my side of the argument apart from others is that nearly everyone who does highsec PVP does highsec PVE at times. They experience many aspects of the game and understand after a bit how having the two linked makes both better. I'm not so sure I can say the same for the Veers of the world. You might go out and give it a whirl for your own personal research so you'll better understand what really goes on out there.