These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Everyone is too obsessed with their killboard stats!

First post First post
Author
Steppa Musana
Doomheim
#81 - 2014-12-13 00:18:41 UTC
PVP is just a different form of grinding for many players. Some players grind ISK, others grind killboard statistics.
Ayx Shewma
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#82 - 2014-12-13 00:34:41 UTC
Sol Project wrote:
"killboard killboard"

Also, the issue isn't the killboard, but the people.

Unless you're a Nobel level geneticist, good luck changing people. we've been basically the same for hundreds of thousands of years and we'll still be basically the same 100,000 years from now.

It's easier and more effective in the near future, to just get rid of the damn killboards.
Mijou Star
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#83 - 2014-12-13 00:38:43 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
Mashie Saldana wrote:
I have a little nasty daredevil with a faction web sitting in a lowsec station, but my corp/alliace wouldn't be happy if I lost it. I have a vindicator I'm eager to use in solo pvp, but my corp members would kill me if I caused 2 billion loss on KB. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

can guarantee alliance won't actually care about a faction web or we'd be nothing but a bunch of incredibly attractive hypocrites

i personally don't care about a vindy on the board. ctq's lost expensive crap more than enough times in the past

you have my permission as ctq's beauty pageant winner to explode hilariously

Confirming as long as you don't lose more then 1 super cap a month no one cares.
Vestion Stenier-Tian
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#84 - 2014-12-13 00:42:30 UTC
Mashie Saldana wrote:

If we're recruiting? Warp to cyno is a great alliance and we are a great corp full of brave men, so if you feel like joining, sure.

Just gonna jump in here and say, can confirm.

Also, only really care about alliance kb if someone has a **** fit or is in a mining barge. Dont really care about the isk or amount of losses, it shows activity if anything.

So basically, come join our alliance, we're really ******* good I promise <3
Mijou Star
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#85 - 2014-12-13 00:45:12 UTC
Sol Project wrote:
Mashie Saldana wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Mashie Saldana wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
OP I just looked at your killboard, you are either the greatest PVPer in this game or you choose your fights wisely just like the people you are accusing of running from a fight because of the reasons you wanted to make up in your head.

Greatest pvper? What are you talking about? You know people like Dalikah? :)

I just lost a comet today because I turned on my reps too late..derp.

You either completely missed my point or chose to ignore it.

So why am I, in your opinion, one of the best pvpers?

You can have 10 000 kills and 100 deaths but if most of the kills were blobs, it doesn't mean you're good.

Most of my small gang/solo pvp kills are from 2014, and my K/D ratio and all isn't that awesome.
Yes, after you spend years in low you learn how to fit and fly ships well, so getting small gang/solo kills isn't that hard.

Instead of suicide ganking visit us dirty pirates in low :) You might like it.

Where to go?
In the spirit of your thread, I refuse to look up the information on your killboard.

Please answer my questions, though:

Do you mind combat probing 1400mm Tornados with the occasional cloak?

Do you feel bothered by people who suddenly decloak and jam your side of the fight,
while completely ignoring your enemies?

Do you talk in local a lot?

Are you recruiting?

i can answer this one.. yes we talk A LOT in local
Carmen Electra
Row Row Fight the Power
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#86 - 2014-12-13 00:46:56 UTC
ISD Ezwal wrote:
The corporation my main resides in has one simple policy regarding Killboards: Don't post to them. *)
Does that mean our kills/losses are not out there on those boards? Off course they are, probably mainly our losses.
Is that relevant to us? Not in the slightest.
The only relevant thing to us is having fun. And sometimes that leads to getting blown up. Big time....Cool

*) We do use them for intel purposes though.....Twisted

What is your corp so I can join it.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#87 - 2014-12-13 00:55:11 UTC
Ayx Shewma wrote:
Sol Project wrote:
"killboard killboard"

Unless you're a Nobel level geneticist, good luck changing people. we've been basically the same for hundreds of thousands of years and we'll still be basically the same 100,000 years from now.

It's easier and more effective in the near future, to just get rid of the damn killboards.

The people who run away from you will still run away and we all lose the ALOD.

We gain nothing and lose a good chunk of content.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#88 - 2014-12-13 00:55:28 UTC
You should check out my killboard stats. I haven't lost a ship in 18 months!

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Daerrol
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#89 - 2014-12-13 07:09:21 UTC
I have not seen any good pvp alliance that has the bahaviour OP describes. Sounds like Highsec wardec stuff.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#90 - 2014-12-13 08:20:04 UTC
Mashie Saldana wrote:

In my opinion, the public killboard is CANCER. It kinda reminds me of call of duty and kills/losses ratio.

Ah, now, back in the day, I'd be in agreement with you. However, as I've played the game I've learned how much intel the killboards can offer up on potential adversaries. That guy you're about to go after in that Prophecy, does he have any capitals or blops on killmails with it? If he does, he's probably cyno bait. So you get your own cyno and have your coalition standing by in their own stuff to counter.

What about that guy with all solo kills but a 90+ efficiency rating? He's probably not solo at all and has a logi alt nearby.

What are their favourite ships? Check their top monthly stats to see what they've been killing with lately, and how, etc.

I would estimate that 80-90% of the time, you can predict your opponent's moves just by his killboard alone. Personally, I don't put much stock in killboard stats as a reflection of anyone's ability. I got beat a few days ago by someone with a KB completely in the red, my Cynabal vs his Orthrus (I went and got revenge shortly after in a Fleet Scythe though). So while the killboards can show you someone's possible moves, they don't really show you how good they are, so never underestimate your opponent based on that.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#91 - 2014-12-13 08:23:02 UTC
Ayx Shewma wrote:
Sol Project wrote:
"killboard killboard"

Exactly this. There are **** jokes carved into the walls of ancient public restrooms and baths in the ruins of Pompeii, as well as carved graffiti that essentially says, "for a good time, seek out Ophelia" (name is just an example). People don't really change that much.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Omar Alharazaad
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#92 - 2014-12-13 09:21:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Omar Alharazaad
Without a little red on the board it loses that Christmasy feel.
I kind of like having a board to view who's been doing what and to whom. While I enjoy putting green things on there, it's not going to break my heart to put a splash of red on there either. This is doubly true if said splash of red results in me learning new things.
I'm still pretty green when it comes to PVP and I make stupid mistakes all the time. There may come a day when I can honestly say to myself 'you know, you might actually not be too bad at this', but that day is still a long time coming.
Until then having access to a record of not only my own mistakes and victories, but those of others in my corp and alliance is very helpful for me when it comes to figuring some things out.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Cassie Celestis
Doomheim
#93 - 2014-12-13 09:54:57 UTC
Steppa Musana wrote:
PVP is just a different form of grinding for many players. Some players grind ISK, others grind killboard statistics.

This.. In other words everyone looks for something to do in the game.
Problem is killboard stats addiction is becoming an equivalent of "popular mmo title here" damage meter addiction.

.... Got... to ... have .... them stats... X
Sol Project
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#94 - 2014-12-13 10:15:07 UTC
Mijou Star wrote:
i can answer this one.. yes we talk A LOT in local

You're insanely pale.
Redhead.
Sexy dress.
Talk in local.

Hello there, my future ex-wife!

Ladies of New Eden YC 117 by Indahmawar Fazmarai

Warning: NSFW! Barely legal girls in underwear!

Diana Kim > AND THIS IS WHY THE FEDERATION MUST BE DESTROYED!!

knobber Jobbler
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#95 - 2014-12-13 10:40:24 UTC
No killboard, no ALOD. That is a bad thing.
Ocih
Space Mermaids
Somethin Awfull Forums
#96 - 2014-12-13 10:43:15 UTC
They are great for forum warriors who can't win an argument and need to troll someone down but as others have suggested, in the game, nobody gives a rats ass.

They are used to determine fittings but that's not even that practical as 99% of loss have 12+ ships in on the kill. It's not like any fit was going to save you.
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#97 - 2014-12-13 11:12:54 UTC
Space nerds = Killboards = fappage.

Was that so hard to grasp ?

Roll

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

flakeys
Doomheim
#98 - 2014-12-13 11:23:22 UTC
Milla Goodpussy wrote:
One of the main cancer's is killboard stalking.. I agree with the OP.. killboards have became such an obsession for the elites that they cant live without looking at it.. one main thing I simply do not understand is why my private in-game actions is posted outside on public without me even consenting to it..

it doesn't make sense, it causes griefing, there is no valid reason except exposing who's good at pvp and who's not.. and surely who's new to eve.. I know the elites will debate it over and over again and defend their obsessive compulsive disorder. but its true..

the gimmick of looking up expensive KM's almost teaches a person how to stalk someone online.. and that's what really it is plain and simple.

there are players that actually do not log into the game and play but instead just sit and watch killboards and then log in just to fuss at someone losing a ship on a killboard!.. its crazy

Au contraire , that's the best thing about it even people who are utter **** in pvp can have 90% efficiency and 100's of billions in kills as long as they fly in the blob.A killboard most of the times doesn't say anything about reall pvp experience unless you find a lot of solo kills in them and even then the question is if he was using an alt-falcon and alt-booster or not .

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
#99 - 2014-12-13 11:26:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Killboards, I hve what could be considered one embarassing loss on my killboard ignoring of course my first loss which was as a real noob. And that was losing a Drake to a Dramiel, however I was ratting and was jumped on by a blue whose alliance had set us red without telling us. Because the relationship was rocky and I thought he was acting to cause trouble I let him push me over the edge from the 3 Tyrant rats without firing back on him. In fact I found the fact that I did not shoot this person the most embarrassing thing about the loss, that is how little killboards matter to me.

I avoid giving people easy kills which is my mentality, I hunt and take fights to get kills on people who are looking for fights, I will take fights that are marginal, but I will never ever give people easy kills where they can blob or kill with no chance of them getting even a scratch on their paint work. It is the simple fact that Eve is a game where you largely get the drop on the other person and you do that in a number of different ways.

So I will avoid a definite loss where I have no chance at all and it is not because of my killboard, but because I am not there to make someone else feel better about themselves when all the cards are stacked in their favour. Its not just the killboard, but the perfect kill mentality of many Eve players, especially those that gank people who have no chance to kill them back and I am not referring to hisec gankers which is completely different.

Killboards mean very little for the majority of players, apart from checking for stupid fits, stupid losses and how they are likely to be fitting their ships, it says nothing about their skills.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#100 - 2014-12-13 14:09:11 UTC
What's the point playing a PvP game without goals and competition? All life and human nature is to become better at something in your peer group. Killboards in EvE are just the equivalent of the high score list at your favorite pinball game.

BTW, it's non-consensual PvP, so if you can't force your opponents to fight, you may have to get better in that ...

I'm my own NPC alt.