These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Everyone is too obsessed with their killboard stats!

First post First post
Author
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#61 - 2014-12-12 22:54:54 UTC
d0cTeR9 wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Out of all the possible reasons you could find to justify why EVE combat pilots are so risk averse, KBs are near to number one.

They're the bane of the game.

Mr Epeen Cool


Agreed. Can't fly anything expensive, or else, 'zomg killboard!!!!!!!'... So what's the point of having nice things in EVE?...


Your organisation sucks then, I have no limitations imposed upon me and I am free to exorcise my rights to be a special snowflake.
Paranoid Loyd
#62 - 2014-12-12 22:56:42 UTC
Mashie Saldana wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Mashie Saldana wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
OP I just looked at your killboard, you are either the greatest PVPer in this game or you choose your fights wisely just like the people you are accusing of running from a fight because of the reasons you wanted to make up in your head.


Greatest pvper? What are you talking about? You know people like Dalikah? :)

I just lost a comet today because I turned on my reps too late..derp.

You either completely missed my point or chose to ignore it.


So why am I, in your opinion, one of the best pvpers?

You can have 10 000 kills and 100 deaths but if most of the kills were blobs, it doesn't mean you're good.

Most of my small gang/solo pvp kills are from 2014, and my K/D ratio and all isn't that awesome.
Yes, after you spend years in low you learn how to fit and fly ships well, so getting small gang/solo kills isn't that hard.

Instead of suicide ganking visit us dirty pirates in low :) You might like it.

And yes, I do know how to pick up fights. I don't fight blobs when I'm alone and I don't fight super fast kity ships and worms when I'm alone, but comets, firetails etc are pretty fair fights. Hell even a tristan can kill a comet with its neuts.

You are still missing the point or ignoring it.

I'll make it simple for you: Your conclusion is baseless. People will bail from a fight for a plethora of reasons, concluding it is because of kill boards is what you made up in your head.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Sol Project
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#63 - 2014-12-12 23:00:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Sol Project
Mashie Saldana wrote:
I don't probe in faction frigates

No one has ever decloaked and jammed me in a plex

I talk in local when I feel like it

If we're recruiting? Warp to cyno is a great alliance and we are a great corp full of brave men, so if you feel like joining, sure.

Nonononono, you got that wrong.

I meant that, you and your friends fight and some guy shows up in a 1400mm tornado from
distance and starts unloading on you.

I also meant ... you and your friends fight and some guy shows up in a cloaky jammer
and starts jamming your side so the other side can kick your candy asses.

Also ... uhm ... you sit in a PLEX, at warp-in, and wait for an idiot to come?

And you dare using "brave men" in connection with you and making this thread?


Also, in regards to your conversation with Paranoid Loyd ... WHOOOOOOOSH!

Ladies of New Eden YC 117 by Indahmawar Fazmarai

Warning: NSFW! Barely legal girls in underwear!

Diana Kim > AND THIS IS WHY THE FEDERATION MUST BE DESTROYED!!

Mashie Saldana
I'm Sorry Shoot What?
WE FORM V0LTA
#64 - 2014-12-12 23:02:55 UTC
Sol Project wrote:
Mashie Saldana wrote:
I don't probe in faction frigates

No one has ever decloaked and jammed me in a plex

I talk in local when I feel like it

If we're recruiting? Warp to cyno is a great alliance and we are a great corp full of brave men, so if you feel like joining, sure.

Nonononono, you got that wrong.

I meant that, you and your friends fight and some guy shows up in a 1400mm tornado from
distance and starts unloading on you.

I also meant ... you and your friends fight and some guy shows up in a cloaky jammer
and starts jamming your side so the other side can kick your candy asses.

Also ... uhm ... you sit in a PLEX, at warp-in, and wait for an idiot to come?

And you dare using "brave men" in connection with you and making this thread?


I'm usually the idiot who warps into the plex :)
Ian Morbius
Potomac Greeting Card Company
#65 - 2014-12-12 23:05:00 UTC
One leaderboard to rule them all.
Sol Project
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#66 - 2014-12-12 23:05:18 UTC
Mashie Saldana wrote:
I'm usually the idiot who warps into the plex :)

Then I sincerely apologise! :)

Ladies of New Eden YC 117 by Indahmawar Fazmarai

Warning: NSFW! Barely legal girls in underwear!

Diana Kim > AND THIS IS WHY THE FEDERATION MUST BE DESTROYED!!

Mashie Saldana
I'm Sorry Shoot What?
WE FORM V0LTA
#67 - 2014-12-12 23:06:50 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Mashie Saldana wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Mashie Saldana wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
OP I just looked at your killboard, you are either the greatest PVPer in this game or you choose your fights wisely just like the people you are accusing of running from a fight because of the reasons you wanted to make up in your head.


Greatest pvper? What are you talking about? You know people like Dalikah? :)

I just lost a comet today because I turned on my reps too late..derp.

You either completely missed my point or chose to ignore it.


So why am I, in your opinion, one of the best pvpers?

You can have 10 000 kills and 100 deaths but if most of the kills were blobs, it doesn't mean you're good.

Most of my small gang/solo pvp kills are from 2014, and my K/D ratio and all isn't that awesome.
Yes, after you spend years in low you learn how to fit and fly ships well, so getting small gang/solo kills isn't that hard.

Instead of suicide ganking visit us dirty pirates in low :) You might like it.

And yes, I do know how to pick up fights. I don't fight blobs when I'm alone and I don't fight super fast kity ships and worms when I'm alone, but comets, firetails etc are pretty fair fights. Hell even a tristan can kill a comet with its neuts.

You are still missing the point or ignoring it.

I'll make it simple for you: Your conclusion is baseless. People will bail from a fight for a plethora of reasons, concluding it is because of kill boards is what you made up in your head.


Mate, you've clearly never done any frig pvp in plexes, otherwise you'd know it can go either way. Many guys, not saying all- but many don't go into fights because they don't want their loss on kb, coz they'd be ashamed for it. I know a few guys like these, I know what I'm talking about. I dont know what you're trying to prove, really.
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#68 - 2014-12-12 23:09:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Riot Girl
Sorry, haven't read any posts beyond the first page yet, but, totally agree with OP. KBs are immersion breaking as hell.

People complain "I can't find good solo fights".

Shouldn't the game be about, "I want to avoid solo fights, I want to avoid predatory entities, I don't want to train 6 alts, I want to bully my way around, while evading furious inbred siblings and maybe meeting a few cool people along the way."

One also thing that bugged me recently, possibly unrelated. I played through the newly revised NPE combat missions ona minmatar alt earlier this week and I was told by my agent that projectiles were the best weapon system available and that I should join faction warfare immediately.

One problem.... Where is the career agent for factional warfare? Where is the introductory experience for new players who do not understand the factional warfare mechanics???

I think the work CCP does is very good and very slow and I know they always strive hard to make all content as relevant and meaningful as possible. I hope they can find time to make an NPE tutorial for FW!
Eugene Kerner
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#69 - 2014-12-12 23:09:49 UTC
Mashie Saldana wrote:
So, I was roaming in lowsec again with my favorite fed navy comet. I saw another fed navy in the novice, so I pursued him in. As I was landing, he warped away. I asked him why he did it and he told me he's too scared. He lost his comet about 30 minutes later to a kiting tristan.

This happens a LOT to me in lowsec. Last night, 2 comets bailed. About 2 weeks ago, I was sitting in a novice with a republic fleet firetail and another firetail appeared on dscan, he was sitting in front of the novice for about a minute and then he warped.

I asked him in local why he did it, and he told me he's worried about losing his ship.

In my opinion, the public killboard is CANCER. It kinda reminds me of call of duty and kills/losses ratio.

With eve, it's the same thing. People are too scared to take risks because of the possible loss. I'm pretty sure if there weren't any public killboard sites, there would be much more pvp in eve.

I have a little nasty daredevil with a faction web sitting in a lowsec station, but my corp/alliace wouldn't be happy if I lost it. I have a vindicator I'm eager to use in solo pvp, but my corp members would kill me if I caused 2 billion loss on KB. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

I just wish there weren't no public killboards.

Combat log stats in eve should definitely stay, and imo one should be on the kill it even if he doesn't cause the final blow. You ***** on a killmail, it should appear in the combat log. That way, if there weren't public killboards, you'd still see and could link what you've lost/killed.

This is probably not going to happen, but it would be awesome if it did!


And it wouldn't be a problem for corp recruiters, either. They could just see all your kills/losses in your API.


I disagree. In pvp it is all about winning. There is no 2nd place, you either win or you die. I hate losing ships or pods...that does not mean I do not pvp but I try to pick my fights. There is no reason why I would go in a fight with a Garmur when I am sitting in a blaster ship. When I am in the right ship and local does not look fucky then I engage...and man do I love to win.

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Sol Project
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#70 - 2014-12-12 23:13:06 UTC
Mashie Saldana wrote:
Mate, you've clearly never done any frig pvp in plexes, otherwise you'd know it can go either way. Many guys, not saying all- but many don't go into fights because they don't want their loss on kb, coz they'd be ashamed for it. I know a few guys like these, I know what I'm talking about. I dont know what you're trying to prove, really.

Thing is that the losses aren't actually shamefull at all.

What's shamefull is the cowardish attitude of believing that what other people think matters.

People who care about losses of others ignore that losses are needed to learn,
that they themselves lost ships and that they are stupid idiots with no life who think it matters.

Removing killboards won't turn these children into grown-ups.

Ladies of New Eden YC 117 by Indahmawar Fazmarai

Warning: NSFW! Barely legal girls in underwear!

Diana Kim > AND THIS IS WHY THE FEDERATION MUST BE DESTROYED!!

Paranoid Loyd
#71 - 2014-12-12 23:17:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
Mashie Saldana wrote:
Mate, you've clearly never done any frig pvp in plexes, otherwise you'd know it can go either way. Many guys, not saying all- but many don't go into fights because they don't want their loss on kb, coz they'd be ashamed for it. I know a few guys like these, I know what I'm talking about. I dont know what you're trying to prove, really.


You don't know anything about me (besides I suicide gank with this toon ) or what other toons I might have roaming around, so don't tell me what I have and haven't done. I have fought in plexes and I do know what I am talking about, it could be as simple as the fact that your toon is from 06 that so many people bail from fights from you, it could be you have other corp mates in the system and they think they will get blobbed if they take the fight, it could be they are just farming and are not even interested in fighting or it could be they don't want a fair fight and will only engage if they know/think they are going to win, none of these reasons have anything to do with kill boards except maybe the last one. As far as you not saying all, please see the title of your thread.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#72 - 2014-12-12 23:20:49 UTC
orfkno
Mashie Saldana
I'm Sorry Shoot What?
WE FORM V0LTA
#73 - 2014-12-12 23:22:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Mashie Saldana
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Mashie Saldana wrote:
Mate, you've clearly never done any frig pvp in plexes, otherwise you'd know it can go either way. Many guys, not saying all- but many don't go into fights because they don't want their loss on kb, coz they'd be ashamed for it. I know a few guys like these, I know what I'm talking about. I dont know what you're trying to prove, really.


You don't know anything about me (besides I suicide gank with this toon ) or what other toons I might have roaming around, so don't tell me what I have and haven't done. I have fought in plexes and I do know what I am talking about, it could be as simple as the fact that your toon is from 06 that so many people bail from fights from you, it could be you have other corp mates in the system and they think they will get blobbed if they take the fight, it could be they are just farming and are not even interested in fighting or it could be they don't want a fair fight and will only engage if they know/think they are going to win, none of these reasons have anything to do with kill boards. As far as you not saying all, please see the title of your thread.


It seems you haven't read anything at all. I've convoed guys after they bailed from fights, many of them told me they're too scared to lose it BECAUSE of the killboard stats, I know guys who only fight in blobs because they're SO obsessed with green kb's.

I know a guy I do pvp with who's too scared to fly solo coz he doesn't want losses on his kb.
Mharius Skjem
Guardians of the Underworld
#74 - 2014-12-12 23:24:43 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Remove killboards and they will think up another excuse to not fight you.


Now that clone grades have gone, there's one less on the list.

A recovering btter vet,  with a fresh toon and a determination to like everything that CCP does to Eve...

Don't take me too seriously though, I like to tease a bit on the forums, but that's only because I love you...

Sol Project
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#75 - 2014-12-12 23:25:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Sol Project
Mashie Saldana wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Mashie Saldana wrote:
Mate, you've clearly never done any frig pvp in plexes, otherwise you'd know it can go either way. Many guys, not saying all- but many don't go into fights because they don't want their loss on kb, coz they'd be ashamed for it. I know a few guys like these, I know what I'm talking about. I dont know what you're trying to prove, really.


You don't know anything about me (besides I suicide gank with this toon ) or what other toons I might have roaming around, so don't tell me what I have and haven't done. I have fought in plexes and I do know what I am talking about, it could be as simple as the fact that your toon is from 06 that so many people bail from fights from you, it could be you have other corp mates in the system and they think they will get blobbed if they take the fight, it could be they are just farming and are not even interested in fighting or it could be they don't want a fair fight and will only engage if they know/think they are going to win, none of these reasons have anything to do with kill boards. As far as you not saying all, please see the title of your thread.


It seems you haven't read anything at all. I've convoed guys after they bailed from fights, many of them told me they're too scared to lose it BECAUSE of the killboard stats, I know guys who only fight in blobs because they're SO obsessed with green kb's.

I know a guy I do pvp with who's too scared to fly solo coz he doesn't want losses on his kb.

And you blame killboards, instead of the people.

I'll give you a hint.

Next time you encounter a person that worries so much about what others think ...
... (and that's what this is actually about) ...
... you will threaten to hunt him and kill him over and over again until his killboard is ruined.


That'll fix it one way or the other.

Ladies of New Eden YC 117 by Indahmawar Fazmarai

Warning: NSFW! Barely legal girls in underwear!

Diana Kim > AND THIS IS WHY THE FEDERATION MUST BE DESTROYED!!

Mashie Saldana
I'm Sorry Shoot What?
WE FORM V0LTA
#76 - 2014-12-12 23:31:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Mashie Saldana
Sol Project wrote:
Mashie Saldana wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Mashie Saldana wrote:
Mate, you've clearly never done any frig pvp in plexes, otherwise you'd know it can go either way. Many guys, not saying all- but many don't go into fights because they don't want their loss on kb, coz they'd be ashamed for it. I know a few guys like these, I know what I'm talking about. I dont know what you're trying to prove, really.


You don't know anything about me (besides I suicide gank with this toon ) or what other toons I might have roaming around, so don't tell me what I have and haven't done. I have fought in plexes and I do know what I am talking about, it could be as simple as the fact that your toon is from 06 that so many people bail from fights from you, it could be you have other corp mates in the system and they think they will get blobbed if they take the fight, it could be they are just farming and are not even interested in fighting or it could be they don't want a fair fight and will only engage if they know/think they are going to win, none of these reasons have anything to do with kill boards. As far as you not saying all, please see the title of your thread.


It seems you haven't read anything at all. I've convoed guys after they bailed from fights, many of them told me they're too scared to lose it BECAUSE of the killboard stats, I know guys who only fight in blobs because they're SO obsessed with green kb's.

I know a guy I do pvp with who's too scared to fly solo coz he doesn't want losses on his kb.

And you blame killboards, instead of the people.

I'll give you a hint.

Next time you encounter a person that worries so much about what others think ...
... (and that's what this is actually about) ...
... you will threaten to hunt him and kill him over and over again until his killboard is ruined.


That'll fix it one way or the other.


Of course I blame the people, killboard itself isn't guilty!

The people are the issue here!

Ah **** it, I'm exhaused..let's go bowling.

You've won ok? Let me be, I'm too old for this anyway.
Vic Jefferson
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#77 - 2014-12-12 23:35:28 UTC
The number one ranked character on zkillboard ran away from the alliance tournament.
This alone speaks volumes on the value of killboard stats.

Vote Vic Jefferson for CSM X.....XI.....XII?

Paranoid Loyd
#78 - 2014-12-12 23:41:36 UTC
Look man you are entitled to your opinion as much as I am, all I'm saying is you made a baseless claim encompassing everyone. I hate it when people do that.
Do some people obsess over killboards stats? Of course.
Does everyone that bails from a fight (especially one with someone who has most likely been around way longer than them) obsess over their killboard? No
Do most people obsess over their killboard? Probably not, would be hard to properly quantify.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Harrison Tato
Yamato Holdings
#79 - 2014-12-13 00:04:31 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Shelby Dusette wrote:
Mashie Saldana wrote:

what's your point?

Shadow Serpentis Warp Scrambler.


I C wat U did there!

Quote:

I think killboards are fun. They're a nice, convenient summary of your fun time (or sadness) as well as a great intel and after-action tool. Most gamers love stats, numbers and spreadsheets about themselves, the game or other players and nothing wrong with that. It's a public record you can take pride (or horror) in. Sure, some people take it to extremes though like any other part of the game, but heh.

http://i.imgur.com/Wujzy5l.jpg



Well said. I tend to think that people who say "there would be more pvp without killmails/boards" are really saying "I would pvp more if my shameful losses were not made public, those public losses make me feel bad about myself and lets others ridicule me".

It's basically a self-esteem issue.


Once you realize that you are the coolest cat you know life gets a lot more enjoyable.
Sol Project
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#80 - 2014-12-13 00:08:47 UTC
Mashie Saldana wrote:
Of course I blame the people, killboard itself isn't guilty!

The people are the issue here!

Ah **** it, I'm exhaused..let's go bowling.

You've won ok? Let me be, I'm too old for this anyway.

Boring!
How about we get together in a non homosexual way
and ruin some peoples killboards by jumping onto them while they are fighting others?

It seems that you know people who care enough to make this a worthwhile endeavour.

Ladies of New Eden YC 117 by Indahmawar Fazmarai

Warning: NSFW! Barely legal girls in underwear!

Diana Kim > AND THIS IS WHY THE FEDERATION MUST BE DESTROYED!!