These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Launching a warp disrupt probe will give you aggression and prevent you from docking or jumping.

Author
Aphoxema G
Khushakor Clan
#61 - 2011-11-28 21:13:10 UTC
Vincent Gaines wrote:
Aphoxema G wrote:
If I swing my fist it's your fault you got hit because if you weren't in the way there would only have been insensitive air to punch.

Uh huh.

You can stab me in the fists to stop me. Oh, and I'm also made of paper.

Bad analogy for you to use.

It's a fair analogy. Stealth bombers can't jump after launching a bomb. I can't ECM someone and then jump.

Boo all you want, but launching a warp disrupt probe is an act of aggression and deserve the consequences of that decision.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#62 - 2011-11-28 21:13:42 UTC
ThisIsntMyMain wrote:
L'ouris wrote:
As a non-dic pilot;

Could you explain at least some of the wrong?

My impression would be you bring another DIC with you instead of another DPS boat.

Not much, but at least a token step towards fleet diversification?

A dictor has ZERO tanking ability. The second that somebody locks you, you will DIAF. So the primary directive to keep your dictor alive is DONT GET PRIMARIED. And if it even looks like you might be about to get locked you G.T.F.O. Flying a dictor is never about getting on the Kill, its about tackling hostiles and protecting your own gang by delaying someone pursuing you.

What this change means is that if you drop a bubble to delay someone chasing you then you will no longer be able to run away - which is your primary defence mechanism. and the Dictor WILL die.

Bring 2 dictors ? Great, now 2 dictors will die.

Apparently your dictor pilots suck, or your FC's do, or perhaps both.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

L'ouris
Have Naught Subsidiaries
#63 - 2011-11-28 21:14:36 UTC
Aside from really killing double bubble gate tricks,

How does this kill the ability of a DIC to drop a bubble 40k off a gate after the fleet is in warp to slow down the enemy?

I suppose it can strand the DIC in system, but I'm not sure that is 'unfair' for the delay tactic.

Most of the good bubble work I've seen were pulled off before the enemy fleet was on grid with the DIC so the flying coffin defense doesn't seem to apply. In that regard the only thing thats changed is the ability to jump through a gate or dock, and I suppose I need more information as to why thats so horrid.
Tore Vest
#64 - 2011-11-28 21:14:46 UTC
We dont have any bubles in highsec... so i shouldn't care..
but...
since nullbears are crying about highsec incursion :

WEll done CCP...... FINALY a change that make sense P
Those nullbears out there have it to easy....
Dont listen to them Twisted

No troll.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#65 - 2011-11-28 21:17:21 UTC
It's a good change, I like it.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Vincent Gaines
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#66 - 2011-11-28 21:21:23 UTC
Aphoxema G wrote:
Vincent Gaines wrote:
Aphoxema G wrote:
If I swing my fist it's your fault you got hit because if you weren't in the way there would only have been insensitive air to punch.

Uh huh.

You can stab me in the fists to stop me. Oh, and I'm also made of paper.

Bad analogy for you to use.

It's a fair analogy. Stealth bombers can't jump after launching a bomb. I can't ECM someone and then jump.

Boo all you want, but launching a warp disrupt probe is an act of aggression and deserve the consequences of that decision.

Then put me on the km no matter what.

Not a diplo. 

The above post was edited for spelling.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#67 - 2011-11-28 21:23:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Dradius Calvantia wrote:
Posting in a thread full of people who do not use, nor understand a dictor's role in small gang combat.

Previously, whether or not a dictor lives in small gang PVP depends solely on their ability to not be there when the shooting starts. It is some times feasible for a dictor to pull range after dropping a bubble, but most of the time a dictor's best course of action is to drop its bubble and jump out. This was an established game mechanic that was balanced by the fact that an alert enemy can prevent this from happening by purposely agressing the dictor's bubble when he drops it.

Dictors are extremely squishy and not an easy ship to fly. There are two reasons to comp one in a fleet over a HIC. One, is that a dictor can bubble one side of the gate, and then GTFO. The second is that a dictor can leave defensive bubbles to delay or split a larger pursuing fleet. The changes to bubble mechanics destroys both of the dictor's roles.

Not only does this destroy the dictor's role in small gang PVP, it is also a huge nerf to the tactics used by small gangs in order to skirmish with larger fleets.

Does flying a Dictor require skill? Yes.

Does a Dictors survival depend on being able to drop a bubble and jump? No, although it was a nice option (that no other ship in the game enjoys).

As for the two tactics you describe, they are valid currently but far from the only reason (or even primary reason) to bring a Dictor.

Usually the choice to bring a Dictor over a Hic is simple... what is your fleet composition? Dictors excel at traveling with fast moving gangs that are going to hit and run, Hictors do not.

Now it is true that the hit and run tactic is now inhibited (IE. the Dictor pilot can do it, but he'll be on the other side of the gate and left behind to fend for himself), with a fast moving gang the need for multiple gates to be bubbled behind them is minimal. One should do quite nicely, unless you were foolish enough to bring ships too slow to keep up.

So now the option to run with the safety blanket of bubbles behind you is less attractive. You either abandon your dictor to fend for himself, or you make a run for it without the bubbles. Frankly, the latter is more exciting for everyone anyway... and (thankfully) we'll see fewer slow vessels tagging along with what was intended to be a fast moving fleet.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

KrakizBad
Section 8.
#68 - 2011-11-28 21:23:47 UTC
I think this is a great change. The double bubble trick has been abused for years and letting fleets run away has always pissed me off. Evil

Adapt or die.
Astrid Stjerna
Sebiestor Tribe
#69 - 2011-11-28 21:24:33 UTC
I'm going to haver to agree with the other posters -- you deliberately launched an aggressive device. One presumes that you're not launching a warp-interdictor to go ice-mining.

I can't get rid of my darn signature!  Oh, wait....

Aphoxema G
Khushakor Clan
#70 - 2011-11-28 21:25:06 UTC
Vincent Gaines wrote:

That's a fair request and I think you should push for that. It's true that interdictors take a greater risk and at least should warp away. I don't think they should be allowed to jump for an easy way out in addition to having superiority on the other side of a gate, but I don't think they should need to shoot anyone to be counted.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#71 - 2011-11-28 21:28:49 UTC
Aphoxema G wrote:
Vincent Gaines wrote:

That's a fair request and I think you should push for that. It's true that interdictors take a greater risk and at least should warp away. I don't think they should be allowed to jump for an easy way out in addition to having superiority on the other side of a gate, but I don't think they should need to shoot anyone to be counted.

Agreed. Blue KM's as well.

I can't think of a better way to determine who is a wise dictor pilot and who is an idiot that consistently gets his own fleet members killed. Smile

Tore Vest
#72 - 2011-11-28 21:29:22 UTC
KrakizBad wrote:
I think this is a great change. The double bubble trick has been abused for years and letting fleets run away has always pissed me off. Evil

Adapt or die.

Yeah.... Its what they said about sc nerf

Adapt or die Cool

No troll.

Morganta
The Greater Goon
#73 - 2011-11-28 21:30:41 UTC
can't say I like it

while it does address the bubble n run, it seems heavy handed and really makes a dictor's life harder that it needs to be

and this stuff about the KMs.

so what happens anyhow?
you bubble and get a timer that lasts the entire time the bubble is active?

what if your bubble outlasts your timer? are you suddenly not agroing space anymore?

do you get on the kms now whenever you bubble in a fleet fight, I can't see how since you havent actually aggressed any one ship or do you simply aggress all ships on grid?

this appears to be a hot sticky mess rolled up in dung.

couldn't you guys just make non-anchored bubbles pop when the owner leaves grid?
seems like that would satisfy the butthurt some DEV or CSM is all frothed up about to make such a questionable change
and best of all it doesn't totally render the dictor useless
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#74 - 2011-11-28 21:35:15 UTC
Morganta wrote:
can't say I like it

while it does address the bubble n run, it seems heavy handed and really makes a dictor's life harder that it needs to be

and this stuff about the KMs.

so what happens anyhow?
you bubble and get a timer that lasts the entire time the bubble is active?

what if your bubble outlasts your timer? are you suddenly not agroing space anymore?

do you get on the kms now whenever you bubble in a fleet fight, I can't see how since you havent actually aggressed any one ship or do you simply aggress all ships on grid?

this appears to be a hot sticky mess rolled up in dung.

couldn't you guys just make non-anchored bubbles pop when the owner leaves grid?
seems like that would satisfy the butthurt some DEV or CSM is all frothed up about to make such a questionable change
and best of all it doesn't totally render the dictor useless

You know, I could live with that too. Good suggestion. Smile

I rather imagine the aggression time will work per normal, the pilot does his time and is free to jump unless someone tries to jump out of his bubble and resets the timer.

Vincent Gaines
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#75 - 2011-11-28 21:37:11 UTC
This really does need dev clarification

Not a diplo. 

The above post was edited for spelling.

Patient 2428190
DEGRREE'Fo'FREE Internet Business School
#76 - 2011-11-28 21:37:42 UTC
Should have happened a long time ago.

Now we just need RR/assistance also counted as aggression.
Aphoxema G
Khushakor Clan
#77 - 2011-11-28 21:40:11 UTC
Morganta wrote:

At a glance I see that as a good idea, but the problem is it removes the risk of making a Bad Decision. If an interdictor fails to account for their allies arriving or don't plan a safe escape in advance then they should be held to the same consequence as a bomber or anything else who does the same.
Aphoxema G
Khushakor Clan
#78 - 2011-11-28 21:41:34 UTC
Patient 2428190 wrote:
Should have happened a long time ago.

Now we just need RR/assistance also counted as aggression.

Seriously.
L'ouris
Have Naught Subsidiaries
#79 - 2011-11-28 21:41:51 UTC
Last I saw it was in Diff format some weeks back:

Unless the mechanics have changed, the launch of the bubble simply flags for aggression, so the timer starts, and I'd imagine it would extend if anyone tries to warp while in it like normal, else the timer expires.
cBOLTSON
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#80 - 2011-11-28 21:43:35 UTC
I personally think this is a bad idea.

Like others have said, no more dropping bubbles to slow down persuing attackers. No more bubbling and jumping through a gate in fleet fights.

Anyone who has actually flown a paper thin dictor will understand how these changes are bad.

I guess all it means now is dictor pilots will drop bubble and cloak.....

What was the reasoning from ccp for this change?

The good old days of Unreal Tournament, fragging and sniping on Facing Worlds, listening to Foregone Destruction.......