These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

CSM Campaigns

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Corbexx, CSM X

First post First post
Author
Dave Korhal
Kite Co. Space Trucking
#61 - 2015-01-18 00:22:47 UTC
While my corpmates were discussing the near-inevitable T3 nerfs incoming, someone mentioned that T3s were that powerful because they had to be powerful enough to run wormholes. What is your opinion on this subject? Should wormholes be made easier to compensate? Left as they are and thus end up harder overall? Should a new shipclass be introduced that's fit to run wormholes without overwhelming fleets in K-space?

Do you think it should be reasonable for a group of 1-month newbros to survive and thrive in a C1 wormhole and slowly work their way up the ladder to a C6? Or should surviving in a wormhole require at least 6 months of training and experience in K-space?

Matt: "Mining is the devil's work. If any of you mine, I will AWOX you."

Vikkiman: "What about Dave?"

Matt: "Dave gets a pass; he's batshit insane."

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#62 - 2015-01-20 08:45:10 UTC
Corbexx, I did the Eve Vote Match 2.1 and it listed you as my top pick at 91%! I went through your responses and saw a lot of things I like, but I did have a few questions. Now keep in mind these are neither loaded nor come with any significant experience on my part. Please answer them with the assumption that I don't know what I'm talking about and am here to learn.

1.) When you say you feel that wormhole space doesn't need any ice or moon materials, is that to force players to maintain supply routes with known space in order to have big things? Or perhaps you just don't like them being entirely self-sufficient?

2.) You say you're interested in content harder than wormhole class 6. What does it even take to run class 6 sites? I haven't been above class 3. Are capital ships necessary for class 6?

3.) You say you'd like to see more wormhole effects, but not more systems? Do you feel that the wormhole population is about right or too low, and that it will stay low enough in the coming years even considering for a growing playerbase and possibly an increase in the percentage of players in wormhole space? As for effects, any ideas? (I'm curious on the specifics for wormhole effect ideas, I like playing with numbers)

4.) Do you really think it's okay to give players immediate info on market orders through API?


I was toying with an idea and want some input: what if some new wormhole systems were added which are "deeper" than regular wormhole systems in that they only connect either with each other or to other wormhole systems, but never directly to known space. These systems could boast more self-sustainability with reduced value of random sites, for those who like less traffic in their systems.



In response to your campaign post:
I don't have any complaints, you seem to be a guy who will get things done. But since you speak of POS balance, I'm wondering if you are going to push for improvement to POS gunning? It seems like an unused part of the game.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#63 - 2015-01-20 21:36:11 UTC
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:
Corbexx, I did the Eve Vote Match 2.1 and it listed you as my top pick at 91%! I went through your responses and saw a lot of things I like, but I did have a few questions. Now keep in mind these are neither loaded nor come with any significant experience on my part. Please answer them with the assumption that I don't know what I'm talking about and am here to learn.

Just to point out, that vote match is from last year's candidate pool. I assume most of Corbexx's responses are still relevant though.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

Dave Korhal
Kite Co. Space Trucking
#64 - 2015-01-20 21:43:25 UTC
Going to tack on one more question to my pile:

While debating ways to introduce HiSec newbros to the many other different types of space, I realized wormholes make an easy way to visit LoSec, NullSec, or W-Space without straying too far from your HiSec Homebase or moving your stuff. However, the current tutorials (unless they made changes I'm unaware of) don't cover wormholes at all. As such, I suspect many newbros see wormholes (not just W-space, but wormholes to anywhere) as dangerous, endgame things rather than useful shortcuts to interesting places.

How would you get most new players to start exploring/using wormholes within 3-4 days of starting EVE?

Matt: "Mining is the devil's work. If any of you mine, I will AWOX you."

Vikkiman: "What about Dave?"

Matt: "Dave gets a pass; he's batshit insane."

Jenshae Chiroptera
#65 - 2015-01-21 04:02:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenshae Chiroptera
Corbexx, here is a soft ball for you to hit.
Please, link me the best piece of writing, that you feel refutes the argument, "Worm Holes are ISK faucets," whether you or some one else wrote it, does not matter.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Jayne Fillon
#66 - 2015-01-21 04:16:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Jayne Fillon
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Corbexx, here is a soft ball for you to hit.
Please, link me the best piece of writing, that you feel refutes the argument, "Worm Holes are ISK faucets," whether you or some one else wrote it, does not matter.
Not only is "ISK faucet" poorly defined in your question, but you're also working on the assumption that wormholes shouldn't be ISK faucets. Why shouldn't they pay out more than other areas of space? With more risk comes more reward.

A better question would be: Corbexx, do you feel that ISK generating activities in wormholes are too lucrative?

.... which is a question for may as well answer, Corbexx. Lol

Can't shoot blues if you don't have any. Long Live NPSI.

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2015-01-21 06:21:24 UTC
Jayne Fillon wrote:
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Please, link me the best piece of writing, that you feel refutes the argument, "Worm Holes are ISK faucets,"
Not only is "ISK faucet" poorly defined in your question, but you're also working on the assumption that wormholes shouldn't be ISK faucets.

Jenshae is actually working on the assumption that they are currently not ISK faucets, regardless of whether or not they should be. I would counter that they are ISK faucets as is easily demonstrated by the loot they provide which is turned in directly to NPC agencies in known space in unlimited quantities for a flat rate ISK value. As to their significance in comparison to other ISK faucets, there are charts for that. Unfortunately I cannot find one at the moment. But ask CCP and they can tell you exactly how much ISK comes from wormhole space relative to other sources. They track this info.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

corbexx
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#68 - 2015-01-21 23:20:24 UTC
Dave Korhal wrote:
While my corpmates were discussing the near-inevitable T3 nerfs incoming, someone mentioned that T3s were that powerful because they had to be powerful enough to run wormholes. What is your opinion on this subject? Should wormholes be made easier to compensate? Left as they are and thus end up harder overall? Should a new shipclass be introduced that's fit to run wormholes without overwhelming fleets in K-space?

Do you think it should be reasonable for a group of 1-month newbros to survive and thrive in a C1 wormhole and slowly work their way up the ladder to a C6? Or should surviving in a wormhole require at least 6 months of training and experience in K-space?


apologises for late reply.

In regards to should wormholes be made easier if T3's do get nerfed I don't think its needed all the sites can be done in ships other than t3, Caps and rapiers easily do c5 and c6 cap escalations marauders can handle c5 and down, a couple guards and hacs will also easily do most stuff. i dont think a new ship class would be needed at all to do sleeper sites.

I think its fine for a group of 1 month old newbros to survive and thrive in a c1 ( I moved in to a c3 1 week old with some mates). It might not be the easiest thing, Fair play if they can grow and move up to higher class wormholes should they wish.

I dont think surviving in w space should need 6 months experience in k space. What I will say is while i do like new people in w space I'm not to keen on trying to force 1 day old new people in, more for the fact that w space isnt the safest or easiest place to survive in, without a decent group to help support these players.

My alt is actually in the brave wormhole newbro corp Catastrophic overview failure, and they got a couple of really new players (2 or 3 day old) and brought them in to the wormhole, And i've been chatting to them about how they are finding it. Without the corp helping they'd really struggle.
corbexx
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#69 - 2015-01-23 00:09:32 UTC
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:
Corbexx, I did the Eve Vote Match 2.1 and it listed you as my top pick at 91%! I went through your responses and saw a lot of things I like, but I did have a few questions. Now keep in mind these are neither loaded nor come with any significant experience on my part. Please answer them with the assumption that I don't know what I'm talking about and am here to learn.

1.) When you say you feel that wormhole space doesn't need any ice or moon materials, is that to force players to maintain supply routes with known space in order to have big things? Or perhaps you just don't like them being entirely self-sufficient?


First as has been stated thats a year old, but I can happily answer the questions. Yes its to mean we still have to rely on other areas of space. Having said that there is now ice in the shattered wormholes (you cant mine the ice in the small ones mind)

Reaver Glitterstim wrote:

2.) You say you're interested in content harder than wormhole class 6. What does it even take to run class 6 sites? I haven't been above class 3. Are capital ships necessary for class 6?


I'm all for any extra content in w space, not just harder. to run c6 sites without the cap escalation some t3 and guardains or rr tengus, with cap escalation 2 carriers 2 dreads and some webbers.


Reaver Glitterstim wrote:

3.) You say you'd like to see more wormhole effects, but not more systems? Do you feel that the wormhole population is about right or too low, and that it will stay low enough in the coming years even considering for a growing playerbase and possibly an increase in the percentage of players in wormhole space? As for effects, any ideas? (I'm curious on the specifics for wormhole effect ideas, I like playing with numbers)


I'd be happy with more effects, anything that adds interest is good, not really sure what tbh, I'd love more people in w space, so yeah at the moment I feel its low and hope that it will increase.

Reaver Glitterstim wrote:

4.) Do you really think it's okay to give players immediate info on market orders through API?


I was toying with an idea and want some input: what if some new wormhole systems were added which are "deeper" than regular wormhole systems in that they only connect either with each other or to other wormhole systems, but never directly to known space. These systems could boast more self-sustainability with reduced value of random sites, for those who like less traffic in their systems.



In response to your campaign post:
I don't have any complaints, you seem to be a guy who will get things done. But since you speak of POS balance, I'm wondering if you are going to push for improvement to POS gunning? It seems like an unused part of the game.


You can get market data now from crest. which is really up to date. I dont have any concern with it.

the next bit is a interesting idea if you want to expand on it feel free to mail anything to me.

Pos gunning could use a total overhaul to make it much more interesting its horrid to do at the moment. Pos guns could also probably use a look at as well since most ships have been buffed but pos stuff hasnt.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#70 - 2015-01-23 02:38:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Reaver Glitterstim
What do you think of the idea of buffing POS gun damage while making them automatically spread fire out to different targets--giving the defensive advantage to a medium+ fleet even before logi--and allowing crewed POS guns to be focused on individual targets, allowing easy blapping of softer subcaps or significant assistance to blap even the tough ones when coordinating with a defense fleet?

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Lanctharus Onzo
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#71 - 2015-01-23 03:10:53 UTC
Oops!

Forget to post a link to Corbexx's Cap Stable Interview.

I'll just leave this here: http://capstable.net/2015/01/18/corbexx/

Executive Editor, CSM Watch || Writer, Co-host of the Cap Stable Podcast || Twitter: @Lanctharus

corbexx
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#72 - 2015-01-28 11:18:40 UTC
Dave Korhal wrote:
Going to tack on one more question to my pile:

While debating ways to introduce HiSec newbros to the many other different types of space, I realized wormholes make an easy way to visit LoSec, NullSec, or W-Space without straying too far from your HiSec Homebase or moving your stuff. However, the current tutorials (unless they made changes I'm unaware of) don't cover wormholes at all. As such, I suspect many newbros see wormholes (not just W-space, but wormholes to anywhere) as dangerous, endgame things rather than useful shortcuts to interesting places.

How would you get most new players to start exploring/using wormholes within 3-4 days of starting EVE?


My main worry is at 3 to 4 days you probably dont know enough about eve to do wh's, I'd worry people that new go in die horribly and think think wtf and quit.

Having a later set of tutorials maybe a few weeks in could be a option though.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#73 - 2015-01-28 12:59:05 UTC
corbexx wrote:
Having a later set of tutorials maybe a few weeks in could be a option though.

An advanced player tutorial could really be something special. It could target players who have been playing anywhere from a month to a year and offer introductions to advanced gameplay methods that many of us never get into due to not understanding how to start.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#74 - 2015-01-29 01:28:06 UTC
corbexx wrote:
Dave Korhal wrote:
Going to tack on one more question to my pile:

While debating ways to introduce HiSec newbros to the many other different types of space, I realized wormholes make an easy way to visit LoSec, NullSec, or W-Space without straying too far from your HiSec Homebase or moving your stuff. However, the current tutorials (unless they made changes I'm unaware of) don't cover wormholes at all. As such, I suspect many newbros see wormholes (not just W-space, but wormholes to anywhere) as dangerous, endgame things rather than useful shortcuts to interesting places.

How would you get most new players to start exploring/using wormholes within 3-4 days of starting EVE?


My main worry is at 3 to 4 days you probably dont know enough about eve to do wh's, I'd worry people that new go in die horribly and think think wtf and quit.

Having a later set of tutorials maybe a few weeks in could be a option though.


This is something I would like to see. There are some subjects in eve that are probably best not introduced early on, but having additional career agents that are accessible after a player has been in the game for awhile would be excellent.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

Dave Korhal
Kite Co. Space Trucking
#75 - 2015-01-29 04:38:28 UTC
corbexx wrote:
My main worry is at 3 to 4 days you probably dont know enough about eve to do wh's, I'd worry people that new go in die horribly and think think wtf and quit.

Having a later set of tutorials maybe a few weeks in could be a option though.


My assumption is anyone who doesn't just stay in the starting system and do constant missions will die horribly in a few days. The question is, how do we get new players used to dying horribly?

Perhaps one of the tutorial objectives should be "wander off and get killed by another player".

Matt: "Mining is the devil's work. If any of you mine, I will AWOX you."

Vikkiman: "What about Dave?"

Matt: "Dave gets a pass; he's batshit insane."

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#76 - 2015-01-29 19:22:41 UTC
There is a mission in advanced combat that makes you lose your ship, but it could be improved upon. It lacks that oomph of a real death when it's at the hands of NPCs, although it was kind of interesting when I did the mission: I got my cruiser instead of using the intended ship, and tried to brute force my way through it, thinking I would beat the odds. I lost the cruiser and later decided if I could do it again, I might have been able to complete it if I had fit smartbombs.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

corbexx
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#77 - 2015-01-30 17:50:47 UTC
Jayne Fillon wrote:
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Corbexx, here is a soft ball for you to hit.
Please, link me the best piece of writing, that you feel refutes the argument, "Worm Holes are ISK faucets," whether you or some one else wrote it, does not matter.
Not only is "ISK faucet" poorly defined in your question, but you're also working on the assumption that wormholes shouldn't be ISK faucets. Why shouldn't they pay out more than other areas of space? With more risk comes more reward.

A better question would be: Corbexx, do you feel that ISK generating activities in wormholes are too lucrative?

.... which is a question for may as well answer, Corbexx. Lol



C1 to C4 are in a better place now than they used to be although C1 and C2 could maybe use a bit of a buff still.

On C5 and C6 cap escalations it gets a bit trickier if its 5 people min maxing then its probably to high (although you are limited on how many sites you have to run a day), The issue comes in when you have 10 plus people running them and then the isk isnt all that great (ish per hour might still be good but you will only run sites for 1 hour). The main problem is there is no incentive to run sites with more people. I'd love if there was some way they scaled to incentive people to do them in bigger groups (a bit like incursions).
Mafone
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#78 - 2015-01-31 13:19:02 UTC
Joined wormhole space this year as a bitter vet (10yr+) looking for something different - It worked.

In doing almost everything in eve can say Corbexx has been the only CSM representative I have actually interacted with (at a couple of his Townhalls, he even came onto TDSIN Teamspeak to get our views on some changes) and who seemed to know what he was there for and ask for opinions.

Sure we might not always agree but he has been a great representative of the WH community and CSM in general.

When I saw he was standing again my vote became a no brainer +1 CoolCool

Regarding some of the comments above:

Like the idea of some degradation of untended anchored mods, there is so much litter in Space. Hacking to unanchor it sounds good as requires skill and effort not just after a while bring ship to scoop stuff.

TBH we all know POS mods etc need a revamp (eg why do compression arrays work on solid minerals but not gas which should be more compressible and volumes of which get big very quickly or why do we need so many different assembly arrays)

Corbexx has been a great representative and should be again.

BearBig smileCoolP
Jenshae Chiroptera
#79 - 2015-01-31 17:48:08 UTC
Jayne Fillon wrote:
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Corbexx, here is a soft ball for you to hit.
Please, link me the best piece of writing, that you feel refutes the argument, "Worm Holes are ISK faucets," whether you or some one else wrote it, does not matter.
Not only is "ISK faucet" poorly defined in your question, but you're also working on the assumption that wormholes shouldn't be ISK faucets. Why shouldn't they pay out more than other areas of space? With more risk comes more reward.

A better question would be: Corbexx, do you feel that ISK generating activities in wormholes are too lucrative?

.... which is a question for may as well answer, Corbexx. Lol
You missed the whole point of the question. I don't want to argue whether it is an ISK faucet or not. I wanted a link to a piece of writing on the subject that Corbexx finds particularly good.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

corbexx
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#80 - 2015-01-31 17:55:22 UTC
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Jayne Fillon wrote:
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Corbexx, here is a soft ball for you to hit.
Please, link me the best piece of writing, that you feel refutes the argument, "Worm Holes are ISK faucets," whether you or some one else wrote it, does not matter.
Not only is "ISK faucet" poorly defined in your question, but you're also working on the assumption that wormholes shouldn't be ISK faucets. Why shouldn't they pay out more than other areas of space? With more risk comes more reward.

A better question would be: Corbexx, do you feel that ISK generating activities in wormholes are too lucrative?

.... which is a question for may as well answer, Corbexx. Lol
You missed the whole point of the question. I don't want to argue whether it is an ISK faucet or not. I wanted a link to a piece of writing on the subject that Corbexx finds particularly good.


not a writing but the results from all my pve testing

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hvNEjGFjPPGEXeOqSS4O_Zm9BokSu0bz6DnhD5KDisk/edit#gid=0

This was done before the buffs to blue book drop and the sleeper salvage balance.

Shows how bad the isk income was as well as how reliant on metled nano ribbons the C1 and C2 wormholes were (they still are just not quite as much now.