These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Thera and the Shattered Wormholes

First post First post
Author
Guttripper
State War Academy
Caldari State
#221 - 2014-11-14 14:30:22 UTC
Jade Blackwind wrote:
Even if Thera will be camped to hell and back and the only reason to go there will be to die in a fire, it's still new content, so it's better than nothing.

And here I thought CCP wanted Eve to be player generated content, not content they have to create for the players...
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#222 - 2014-11-14 14:36:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Terrorfrodo wrote:
On the one hand the whole Thera thing sounds very intriguing to me.

On the other hand I cannot really think of many reasons to be there except hope for fights/kills. And if everyone is just there for the fights and kills, there will not be many of them. It'll be like a thousand bored lions and no antelopes.

Thera seems to lack proper conflict drivers. Doing anoms? Suicide in such a system, and can be done much better in one of the normal wspace systems. Mining? Not gonna happen. POS? Not there. PI/POCOs? Not there. Now bashing POSes or POCOs is not exactly great content, but *nothing* doesn't seem to be a great replacement for it.

This will have a fair few sites in there and is a challenge for people to try control it, and as it has no Sov mechanics you control it by force of sub cap arms, now of course some players may just want to destroy stuff that cannot fight back, but I cannot believe that the majority of Eve players want to shoot things that cannot fight back? The key thing is that if people can carve out a bit of space in that system and call it their own it will put their name on the map, and give them bragging rights.

In fact looking at it, its just one massive arena for groups to come in and brawl just because they can and its completely random in terms of what outside groups have access to it at any one point in time, so being based in there will give you lots of different people to shoot.

This is a reather wonderful looking test bed, I wonder how many Eve players are up to testing themselves in it?

Hmmmm does a ESS work in there, now that would be a conflict driver and a half!

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Meditril
Hoplite Brigade
Ushra'Khan
#223 - 2014-11-14 14:54:52 UTC
Almost died from an orgasmic shock while reading about Thera... sounds great!!!
Jade Blackwind
#224 - 2014-11-14 15:00:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Jade Blackwind
Guttripper wrote:
Jade Blackwind wrote:
Even if Thera will be camped to hell and back and the only reason to go there will be to die in a fire, it's still new content, so it's better than nothing.

And here I thought CCP wanted Eve to be player generated content, not content they have to create for the players...
I have no doubt that there'll be a ton of player content generated in Thera. Mostly in the form of killmails.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#225 - 2014-11-14 15:15:28 UTC
King Fu Hostile wrote:
Luscius Uta wrote:
Quote:
They will have no moons and every planet will be shattered. The reasons for this phenomena are heavily tied into the ongoing and upcoming events within New Eden.

In other words, expect PI to be removed from W-space at one point, because WH community hasn't been kicked in the nuts enough lately.

Kicked in the nuts?

- radically buffed income
- bookmarks in space
- compass
- easier bm copying and management
- persistent signatures
- more connections
- T3 subs swappable in POS
- null data/relic sites

I've been living in wormholes for three years, and we've never had it so good before. And now you whine about CCP giving us even more new stuff, I can't believe it.

It's just how some people are wired. Just like my ex, I swear if you gave her 1 million dollars she'd be mad that it wasn't 1 million dollars and 10 cents.
King Fu Hostile
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#226 - 2014-11-14 15:22:01 UTC
Luscius Uta wrote:

Most of the stuff you mentioned are general quality of life improvements that were not aimed at wormholes in particular. Meanwhile you conveniently forgot to mention things such as:

-ore sites being findable with onboard scanner
-mass-based spawned distances
-buff to sleeper RR

Of course, I also almost conveniently ignored the recent price increase for blue loot, because even CCP Fozzie sometimes realize s that he made mistakes and has to fix them.

Because they have made our lives much more comfortable. On the other hand, none of those you list are issues. I still mine in our wormhole. Mass spawn distance affected **** all nothing. Sleeper RR wasn't buffed, it was fixed and now works like it used to. Even C4 sites are still soloable for absurd isk/hr.

Lady Rift
His Majesty's Privateers
#227 - 2014-11-14 15:23:24 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

no bounties on the rats anyway so an ess wouldnt really do anything.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#228 - 2014-11-14 16:03:20 UTC
Lady Rift wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

no bounties on the rats anyway so an ess wouldnt really do anything.

Facepalm, oooops I forgot that, pity unless they come up with a sort of ESS to improve drops and actually apply a bounty via LP's for sleepers that only work in that system...

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#229 - 2014-11-14 17:11:27 UTC
As ccp still has not answered my question about ice mining in the 25 small wormhole systems, I am going to imply that it either means they did not think about that, or they have something they might announce at eve down under that is not quite ready yet... otherwise...

how do we mine ice in a system where no ice mining ship can fit?

And if there is no ice in said 25 systems a clarification is in order. The only thing I could be missing is the max jump size for a frig wh. as the smallest barge according to the eve wiki if has a mass of 10m the cruisers start at around 11m mass. So.. clarification needed again please

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Asrenguard
Intermittent Stupidity
#230 - 2014-11-14 17:40:28 UTC
So let me get this straight….we have 1000’s of wormholes that are a virtual ghost town, so let’s create 100 NEW wormholes, all of which have a Known space static so people can scan down these holes directly from known space and jump in and loot and pillage and never touch a current wormhole….. I give up…
Querns
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#231 - 2014-11-14 18:16:03 UTC
Asrenguard wrote:
So let me get this straight….we have 1000’s of wormholes that are a virtual ghost town, so let’s create 100 NEW wormholes, all of which have a Known space static so people can scan down these holes directly from known space and jump in and loot and pillage and never touch a current wormhole….. I give up…

Wormholers only have themselves to blame for the relative desertion of wormhole space. Intentionally exhausting wormhole mass to consume PvE content far afield of what your home hole affords has picked the ecosystem clean.

This post was crafted by the wormhole expert of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#232 - 2014-11-14 19:01:26 UTC
Arec Bardwin wrote:
Horus V wrote:
342 AU and the sun will have exact same size no metter where you are Shocked
Yeah! That's the one thing that always bugged me about EVE. It would be SO awesome if star size and light scaled with distance.

It would scale from blindingly bright near the star to too dark to see anything further away from the star. You wouldn't really like it. I guess CCP could add some kind of linear scaling.

I agree with you to some degree about the size of the star.
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#233 - 2014-11-14 19:43:49 UTC
Querns wrote:
Asrenguard wrote:

Wormholers only have themselves to blame for the relative desertion of wormhole space. Intentionally exhausting wormhole mass to consume PvE content far afield of what your home hole affords has picked the ecosystem clean.

I'm not really a wormholer anymore... did it a bit. I think the emptiness of wormhole space is part of it's charm. It's hard to live out there. The risk is lower out there at any given time in any given wormhole... but when things get dangerous they get REALLY dangerous. The risk vs reward is well balanced. The WH ecosystem wouldn't hold up very long if it was packed with pods imho. I think WHs are well balanced, and that balance is based on the presumed population and player behaviours. I've seen some really cool construction yards and operations in WH space... I think to myself "damn. Those guys must be RAKING in ISK." Then I read about some horrible eviction and think "damn. Those guys lost a LOT of ISK." ...there's balance. One of my biggest industrial hits ever wasn't even an empire gank... it was a convoy of Mammoths leaving a wormhole in lowsec one jump from empire. So close... Pirate

We don't know what the new player built stargate system is going to look like yet, but imagine if it could connect WH space. Think about how dramatically it would change the ecosystem.

Just a thought... I think WHs are fine.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

GeeBee
Backwater Redux
Tactical Narcotics Team
#234 - 2014-11-14 20:00:46 UTC
my 2 cents for Thera - Have a permanent wormhole in jita that connects to thera that can be warped to like a stargate, it will get nicknamed the *glory hole*
Emiko Rowna
Keys To The Stars
#235 - 2014-11-14 21:06:11 UTC
Meditril wrote:
Almost died from an orgasmic shock while reading about Thera... sounds great!!!

Don't read what they put out today you will never make it to the end and I'm not cleaning that up.

The end of you.

Irya Boone
The Scope
#236 - 2014-11-14 22:32:14 UTC
Thanks again and know put some fight generator in it :)

CCP it's time to remove Off Grid Boost and Put Them on Killmail too, add Logi on killmails .... Open that damn door !!

you shall all bow and pray BoB

Malcolm Faust
Cthulhu Expeditionary Force
#237 - 2014-11-15 00:16:46 UTC
EvilRAAAAAGGGEEE!!!!!!Evil

Seriously, I'm this \ / close to exploring all the old shattered planet systems and you throw up 101 more?

You guys have cajones, and it's pissing me off.
Luscius Uta
#238 - 2014-11-15 11:09:25 UTC
Fozzie said that there will be no agents in Thera. I would recommend giving it few high-level R&D (and only) R&D agents, preferrably specialzing in Sleeper-related research.

Workarounds are not bugfixes.

Aladar Dangerface
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#239 - 2014-11-15 14:46:24 UTC
I don't know if this has been asked in the thread already and I doubt I'll get an answer from devs but what are the chances of removing 100 dead (non-inhabited) normal whs cling with the addition of the shattered ones?

I really like the idea of these holes however wh space is already a bit too big for its population so replacing instead of just adding holes seems a better idea to me.

I don't need twitter. I'm already following you.

Cypher Decypher
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#240 - 2014-11-15 15:56:20 UTC
Eessi wrote:
Scan statics from Thera on sisi:

3x Outgoing low sec connections (wormhole id V898): Battleships can pass through

3x Null sec exit (wormhole id E587): Frieghters can pass through but not carriers.

2x High sec outgoing conenctions wormhole id Q063): Only Battlecruisers and below can pass through.

1x High sec k162

3x k162 connections to c1-3

3x k162 connections to c4-5

So.. Freighters can only get into Thera from nullsec? I wonder who that benefits Shocked