These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Plex Prices

First post
Author
Market McSelling Alt
Doomheim
#261 - 2015-01-05 22:12:35 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
A big wildcard is the EULA change, the banning of multicasters. I figure that will cause 4 waves of PLEX demand reduction.

1) This is already over. Players who suspend most or all their accounts due to the change in the EULA.

2) Players who think they can get away with it. They will drop some or all accounts once CCP starts handing out bans. It is not clear if CCP has handed out any bans yet. There have been no posts about it happening.

3) Players who figure they can keep going with all their accounts, only to find they just turned a game into something more like work. Some will actually keep going, others will drop some or all of their accounts.

4) There use to be a continual influx of new players using multicasting, propping up PLEX demand. This will now cease.

I figure it will take a few months for all these effects to sort themselves out. But I'm not sure of the total magnitude they have on the PLEX price. It could be big, or it could get lost in the normal market variability.



I agree with 2 through 4 wholeheartedly.

People will get banned as they think CCP won't notice or be able to tell. Also I see lots of false positive bans to this "round robin" method on other forums. I also see people giving up trying to make it work.

#4 especially, see www.eve-offline.net and check out the new character joins in the last 6 months. Other than the week of the expansion, the new character builds were up sharply after isboxer videos were made in the early summer. I know it was around much earlier, but popularity didn't start until this year. After the announcement to ban, new character builds drop (except during expansion week).

#1 I don't think we have seen yet. These guys had to plex their account one last time to sell on the forums and they probably used plex to make the transaction. We have yet to see all the characters sell, there is still a lot on the forums and some holding on until a later date (due to decreased SP/Isk currently).


But more than all of that, the population has been decreasing steadily since 2013 as Frog boy pointed out earlier. That is having a hard impact on demand.

CCP Quant: Of all those who logon in Eve, 1.5% do Incursions, 13.8% PVP and 19.2% run Missions while 22.4% mine.

40.7% Join a fleet. The idea that Eve is a PVP game is false, the social fabric is in Missions and Mining.

Elizabeth Norn
Nornir Research
Nornir Empire
#262 - 2015-01-05 22:57:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Elizabeth Norn
Market McSelling Alt wrote:
#4 especially, see www.eve-offline.net and check out the new character joins in the last 6 months. Other than the week of the expansion, the new character builds were up sharply after isboxer videos were made in the early summer. I know it was around much earlier, but popularity didn't start until this year. After the announcement to ban, new character builds drop (except during expansion week).


What ISBoxer videos were those? Are you sure the spikes in new characters weren't due to some of the big fights we've had, expansions or the "This is EVE" trailer?

The biggest spike in 2014 (~2014/01/30) is undoubtedly due to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodbath_of_B-R5RB

Vincent Athena wrote:
4) There use to be a continual influx of new players using multicasting, propping up PLEX demand. This will now cease.


It's pretty much a fact that people decided to start using multicasting software, but there were surely others who decided to stop. Just like with people playing EVE.
Market McSelling Alt
Doomheim
#263 - 2015-01-06 06:15:10 UTC
Elizabeth Norn wrote:
Market McSelling Alt wrote:
#4 especially, see www.eve-offline.net and check out the new character joins in the last 6 months. Other than the week of the expansion, the new character builds were up sharply after isboxer videos were made in the early summer. I know it was around much earlier, but popularity didn't start until this year. After the announcement to ban, new character builds drop (except during expansion week).


What ISBoxer videos were those? Are you sure the spikes in new characters weren't due to some of the big fights we've had, expansions or the "This is EVE" trailer?

The biggest spike in 2014 (~2014/01/30) is undoubtedly due to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodbath_of_B-R5RB

Vincent Athena wrote:
4) There use to be a continual influx of new players using multicasting, propping up PLEX demand. This will now cease.


It's pretty much a fact that people decided to start using multicasting software, but there were surely others who decided to stop. Just like with people playing EVE.



I think you are confusing player online number spikes and new player creation spikes. Please re-view the stats and understand the difference. A single fleet fight isn't going to give cause to new account creation. The expansions might, and I credit those.

CCP Quant: Of all those who logon in Eve, 1.5% do Incursions, 13.8% PVP and 19.2% run Missions while 22.4% mine.

40.7% Join a fleet. The idea that Eve is a PVP game is false, the social fabric is in Missions and Mining.

Elizabeth Norn
Nornir Research
Nornir Empire
#264 - 2015-01-06 09:45:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Elizabeth Norn
I'm not confusing anything, look for yourself. It's a widely known phenomenon that HUGE battles in EVE get quite of a bit media coverage outside of our own community which attracts LOTS of new players. B-R5RB has a Wikipedia article for globs sake Shocked. I'm pretty sure a dev commented on the phenomenon while the jump changes were being discussed which were likely a factor for the creation of the "This is EVE" trailer which had a similar, albeit lesser, effect.

So show me these massively popular ISBoxer videos that caused a spike in new character creations, because I don't buy that for a second.
Jerry T Pepridge
Meta Game Analysis and Investment INC.
#265 - 2015-01-06 10:40:58 UTC
Plex price debates for dummies:

player 1 " how long is a piece of string "
player 2 " about this long UP "
player 3 " about this long DOWN "
player 1 " I don't believe you "
sperg ensues....

Meamwhile.....

CCP 1 " lets dunk plex, **** it why not, ahh 10% sale, sound good for a virtual item? "
CCP 2 " heh why not, the xmas bonuses won't pay for themselves "

player 3 " I was right ..... "
player 2 " no you weren't "

the comic book is available in all good book stores.

@JerryTPepridge

Nemah Xadi
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#266 - 2015-01-06 11:24:35 UTC
Even something like the broadcasting ban only caused a temporary dip, and it didn't even go that far. It's slowly working its way back towards 1b again.

My accounts expire in 2 weeks so at least I won't be contributing.
Signal11th
#267 - 2015-01-06 11:29:18 UTC
Nemah Xadi wrote:
Even something like the broadcasting ban only caused a temporary dip, and it didn't even go that far. It's slowly working its way back towards 1b again.

My accounts expire in 2 weeks so at least I won't be contributing.



As it was always going to......You can't use plex then complain about always increasing prices. (not you personally just people in general)

God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!" I came fifth and won a toaster!

Nemah Xadi
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#268 - 2015-01-06 13:08:00 UTC
You can't? Really now? I had no idea...
Signal11th
#269 - 2015-01-06 13:12:06 UTC
Nemah Xadi wrote:
You can't? Really now? I had no idea...



Then why post saying your accounts are going to expire...it's like asking someone to kick you in the nads and then complaining when they do it.

Far as I'm concerned anyone who relies on PLEX to run their accounts just can't complain about the price.

God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!" I came fifth and won a toaster!

Nemah Xadi
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#270 - 2015-01-06 13:17:06 UTC
But I'm not relying on it anymore, I'm leaving, so that means I can complain about it... right?
Jerry T Pepridge
Meta Game Analysis and Investment INC.
#271 - 2015-01-06 13:40:27 UTC
Nemah Xadi wrote:
But I'm not relying on it anymore, I'm leaving, so that means I can complain about it... right?


Doors that way ----->

wipe up your tears on the way out

@JerryTPepridge

Nemah Xadi
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#272 - 2015-01-06 15:58:44 UTC
Thank you, I know very well where the door is. And I still have 2 weeks left and more complaining to do.

I hope that doesn't bother you.
Bad Bobby
Bring Me Sunshine
In Tea We Trust
#273 - 2015-01-06 17:04:44 UTC
Well, I'm glad that's all over.
Jerry T Pepridge
Meta Game Analysis and Investment INC.
#274 - 2015-01-06 17:30:28 UTC
Nemah Xadi wrote:
Thank you, I know very well where the door is. And I still have 2 weeks left and more complaining to do.

I hope that doesn't bother you.


not at all, please continue to sperg butthurt in forums.

@JerryTPepridge

Jerry T Pepridge
Meta Game Analysis and Investment INC.
#275 - 2015-01-06 17:35:15 UTC
Bad Bobby wrote:
Well, I'm glad that's all over.


it's not over till the fat toad sings

@JerryTPepridge

Elizabeth Norn
Nornir Research
Nornir Empire
#276 - 2015-01-06 18:10:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Elizabeth Norn
Elizabeth Norn wrote:
I'm not confusing anything, look for yourself. It's a widely known phenomenon that HUGE battles in EVE get quite of a bit media coverage outside of our own community which attracts LOTS of new players. B-R5RB has a Wikipedia article for globs sake Shocked. I'm pretty sure a dev commented on the phenomenon while the jump changes were being discussed which were likely a factor for the creation of the "This is EVE" trailer which had a similar, albeit lesser, effect.

So show me these massively popular ISBoxer videos that caused a spike in new character creations, because I don't buy that for a second.


To follow up on this, here's what I would guess caused the player creation spikes in 2014.

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

The first and biggest around 2014-02-01 is undoubtedly B-R5RB. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodbath_of_B-R5RB

The next is on 2014-05-04 was likely Fanfest which was from the 1st to 3rd of May. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrKlYEsGvvw

Not sure about the one on 2014-05-25.

The spike on 2014-07-2014 could be due to an article PC Gamer. http://www.pcgamer.com/project-legion-first-look/

The last big one I can be bothered to find is 2014-11-23 and I'm going to guess it's thanks to "This is EVE". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfFnTt2UT0

So unless there was a massively popular ISBoxing video released at the end of May I don't think that any of the spikes of new character creations were hundreds of people creating tens of alts in order to multibox. I've also heard that people who joined due to big battles didn't stick around for long, so probably didn't consume or create many PLEX anyway.
Alexi Stokov
State War Academy
Caldari State
#277 - 2015-01-06 18:30:32 UTC
Elizabeth Norn wrote:
Elizabeth Norn wrote:
I'm not confusing anything, look for yourself. It's a widely known phenomenon that HUGE battles in EVE get quite of a bit media coverage outside of our own community which attracts LOTS of new players. B-R5RB has a Wikipedia article for globs sake Shocked. I'm pretty sure a dev commented on the phenomenon while the jump changes were being discussed which were likely a factor for the creation of the "This is EVE" trailer which had a similar, albeit lesser, effect.

So show me these massively popular ISBoxer videos that caused a spike in new character creations, because I don't buy that for a second.


To follow up on this, here's what I would guess caused the player creation spikes in 2014.

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

The first and biggest around 2014-02-01 is undoubtedly B-R5RB. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodbath_of_B-R5RB

The next is on 2014-05-04 was likely Fanfest which was from the 1st to 3rd of May. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrKlYEsGvvw

Not sure about the one on 2014-05-25.

The spike on 2014-07-2014 could be due to an article PC Gamer. http://www.pcgamer.com/project-legion-first-look/

The last big one I can be bothered to find is 2014-11-23 and I'm going to guess it's thanks to "This is EVE". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfFnTt2UT0

So unless there was a massively popular ISBoxing video released at the end of May I don't think that any of the spikes of new character creations were hundreds of people creating tens of alts in order to multibox. I've also heard that people who joined due to big battles didn't stick around for long, so probably didn't consume or create many PLEX anyway.



I am surprised there wasn't anything big related to AT 12.
Market McSelling Alt
Doomheim
#278 - 2015-01-06 18:52:20 UTC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVWC6I-FLEA

Honestly this would be #5 reason why long term plex pressure might (MIGHT) trend down.

Our average age of player is about 5 years older than when we started. Older people tend to be more secure in their careers, have more disposable income and have less time in their life to grind for isk. As a result I would expect an older population to seek long term real life methods for supplying account time instead of plex.

CCP Quant: Of all those who logon in Eve, 1.5% do Incursions, 13.8% PVP and 19.2% run Missions while 22.4% mine.

40.7% Join a fleet. The idea that Eve is a PVP game is false, the social fabric is in Missions and Mining.

N00B-SAIB0T
MK Financial
#279 - 2015-01-06 21:17:02 UTC
Jerry T Pepridge wrote:
weird market this one, i stay away from it, far too many big boys in it, im only a tadpole, not a full fledge toad.


I don't play with the PLEX market like I use to. It's become to volatile and swings sharply in a very short period of time. I limit my exposure to it to a certain number at any given time but that's it. Crazy. You can rack up some major losses if you overexpose yourself.
Chris Winter
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
#280 - 2015-01-07 00:50:25 UTC
Elizabeth Norn wrote:
Not sure about the one on 2014-05-25.

That would be Humble Bundle day: http://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/eve-online-news/eve-online-comes-to-the-humble-bundle/