These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rhea] Introducing the Bowhead

First post First post First post
Author
Yume Ookami
Cognitive Disonance
#1641 - 2014-12-03 02:55:07 UTC
Rowells wrote:
LCPL SERENITY wrote:
CCP Rise should we expect to see a non Jump drive version that increases the ship maintenance array capacity? This being that you can not use a cyno in highsec. The Jump drive seams like a waste for non lowsec / null / WH players.

There is no jump drive.

agreed there is no jumpdrive in this ship.

if you want a jumpdrive get a jump freighter or a carrier.

now what i would like is a highsec carrier even if it was dumbed down a bit from regular carriers
LCPL SERENITY
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1642 - 2014-12-03 03:10:42 UTC
Rowells wrote:
LCPL SERENITY wrote:
CCP Rise should we expect to see a non Jump drive version that increases the ship maintenance array capacity? This being that you can not use a cyno in highsec. The Jump drive seams like a waste for non lowsec / null / WH players.

There is no jump drive.

Then where does the Role Bonus come in.
90% reduction in jump fatigue generation
Yume Ookami
Cognitive Disonance
#1643 - 2014-12-03 03:28:17 UTC
LCPL SERENITY wrote:
Rowells wrote:
LCPL SERENITY wrote:

There is no jump drive.

this ship is classified as an industrial ship and all industrial class ships have that bonus
Foxicity
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1644 - 2014-12-03 03:30:31 UTC
Yume Ookami wrote:
LCPL SERENITY wrote:
Rowells wrote:
LCPL SERENITY wrote:

There is no jump drive.

this ship is classified as an industrial ship and all industrial class ships have that bonus

To expand on this, the use of jump bridges (getting cyno'd somewhere by a titan or pos) still generates fatigue. Industrials are bonused to experience less fatigue from jump bridging.
Market Tycoon
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#1645 - 2014-12-03 15:38:01 UTC
i hope it hasnt been asked yet, as i refuse to read 84 pages to find out:

if you plan to make ships drop from the hangar/bay (or not, either way i need to know this),
what will happen to these ships insurances?

Will they
- be void and just vanish
- stay with the dropped ship
- pay out if the drop from the bay
- pay out only if they die in the exploding bowhead
- do not pay out at all
... or what exactly is the plan here.

thx for clarification
Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#1646 - 2014-12-03 16:00:01 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
Acquisition will work the same as freighters - there will be a NPC seeded BPO (with the same distribution as the Orca), it will be a bit cheaper than a freighter BPO, the Bowhead build materials will also be similar to other Freighters but will be be a bit lower. I would expect eventual market price to be 100 or 200 mil lower than other freighters.

It will use capital rigs.

I think it's been said other places but as far as loot - we hope to get a change ready in time for Rhea that will make SMA loot work the same as CHAs where the contents will be inside the wreck on ship death, it's still not totally clear if that will happen in time but it would be in the following release if not.

I'm not convinced about the EHP needing to be higher but I'll bring this to the rest of the team and get back to you.

Hey Rise, for those of us with CRS (Cannot Remember S***), does this mean Bowhead bpo will be available only in ORE space?

(sincerely apologize if this has been mentioned earlier)

Host of High Drag Podcast. http://highdrag.wordpress.com/

Space music http://minddivided.com

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Yume Ookami
Cognitive Disonance
#1647 - 2014-12-03 16:28:24 UTC
Random McNally wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:
Acquisition will work the same as freighters - there will be a NPC seeded BPO (with the same distribution as the Orca), it will be a bit cheaper than a freighter BPO, the Bowhead build materials will also be similar to other Freighters but will be be a bit lower. I would expect eventual market price to be 100 or 200 mil lower than other freighters.

I think it's been said other places but as far as loot - we hope to get a change ready in time for Rhea that will make SMA loot work the same as CHAs where the contents will be inside the wreck on ship death, it's still not totally clear if that will happen in time but it would be in the following release if not.

I'm not convinced about the EHP needing to be higher but I'll bring this to the rest of the team and get back to you.

Hey Rise, for those of us with CRS (Cannot Remember S***), does this mean Bowhead bpo will be available only in ORE space?

i have not seen it mentioned earlier, and i hope that we can find these in more places than just 'ORE space'
or better yet have an ORE station in highsec that will have them.
Joe Risalo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1648 - 2014-12-03 18:37:50 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:

Capacity (cargo / ship maintenance array): 4000 / 1300000 (goes up to 1.6 something with ore freighter 5)

edit: base HP and bonuses updated based on feedback.

To be honest, I feel the cargohold is a bit lacking.
The most applied use of this ship is going to be for personal movement from system to system.

I would like to see the cargo capacity in the minimum of 30k range.key word here being MINIMUM!!!

That way you can carry a reasonable amount of supplies in it as well.
Where else am I gonna put my 800 cap boosters?
Yume Ookami
Cognitive Disonance
#1649 - 2014-12-03 18:46:42 UTC
Joe Risalo wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:

Capacity (cargo / ship maintenance array): 4000 / 1300000 (goes up to 1.6 something with ore freighter 5)

The most applied use of this ship is going to be for personal movement from system to system.

I would like to see the cargo capacity in the minimum of 30k range.key word here being MINIMUM!!!

you will put the 800 cap boosters in the ships you are hauling since they count as charges just like ammo
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#1650 - 2014-12-03 19:01:10 UTC
Yume Ookami wrote:
Random McNally wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:

i have not seen it mentioned earlier, and i hope that we can find these in more places than just 'ORE space'

Keep dreaming.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Joe Risalo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1651 - 2014-12-03 19:18:35 UTC
Yume Ookami wrote:
Joe Risalo wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:

you will put the 800 cap boosters in the ships you are hauling since they count as charges just like ammo

Well, I have a stock pile of spares laid up, but that's beside the point.

My point is that it needs a decent amount of cargohold in order to be able to transport extra items that won't or or can't be carried in the holds of the transported ships.
Yume Ookami
Cognitive Disonance
#1652 - 2014-12-04 00:10:14 UTC
FT Diomedes wrote:
Yume Ookami wrote:
Random McNally wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:

Keep dreaming.

i only mention this since it is intended to be a HS ship
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#1653 - 2014-12-04 01:25:42 UTC
Yume Ookami wrote:
FT Diomedes wrote:
Yume Ookami wrote:
Random McNally wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:

Keep dreaming.

i only mention this since it is intended to be a HS ship

A highsec ship that fits in so nicely with nulsec requirements and being released to coincide with the jump range nerfs and fatigue.

The Bowhead should find itself a nice role in CCP's game of "biggest fleet wins".

CCP seem to have a thing for handing the biggest groups in nulsec exactly what they need to maintain their domination.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Zyxi Zhou-Laun
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#1654 - 2014-12-04 23:27:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Zyxi Zhou-Laun
I am looking forward to this ship.

By the time I have the isk to buy it for this toon and my alt, the 'shiney new-so gank me' effect should be mostly gone.

Now for my comments...

Many people mentioned the speed bonus. I am glad it has been changed to boost agility. Its original setting just didn't have any purpose. Now, maybe the solo people like myself has a chance to survive a gank with this HUGE GANK MAGNET.

I agree the cargo hold is a bit small, but I don't see a need for it to be much larger (maybe 10-20k at max)

I know CCP has planned for it to be designed for 3 T2 fitted battleships and I feel that is a good number for the minimum-skilled pilot. The fully-skilled pilot shold be able to store at least 1 more (for 4 battleships) or at maximum 2 more (for 5).

Making a brand new skill just for this one ship is a poor decision in my opinion, but I'm not a CCP stock-holder.
I would think consolidating the entire line of ORE vessels to one or two skills would be more efficient.
Making a completely new skill for each ship instead of adapting to the already laid foundation seems to be a common thread among CCP developers.
We have people in the US to do such things just to prove they can... we call them politicians.

This ship will find a niche, I am certain.
Through December and most of January, it will make the 'tear-harvesting gankers' happy.
After that, it will likely be used for hauling larger numbers of smaller combat-ready ships (frigates to cruisers) than its proposed function.
It will be used most often when a player (or group of players) have many more ships than pilots and/or ships they can not pilot... except by a relative few.

I like the fact that fitting for 'max tank' will not cut its ability at its main job, unlike other non-combat ships. It will likely be 'tweaked' as CCP watches how the ship is used and decides how to 'guide' how the players use it.

I am rather surprised ORE is to make this ship, though.
Seems to me me it would be more along the lines of SoE or SoCT (I would prefer the latter).
Scratch that. When either of those factions makes a ship, it is quite versitile and capable of fighting when attacked.
ORE makes the gank magnets that have to look for a job.

In fact, I would think SoCT would make a line of haulers adaptable to the needs of the buyer, but I guess that would be too intelligent.

hello wall... I didn't see you standing there. Did I hurt cha? Boy, I sure did hit you square. Now one of us is plastered. I'll let you guess just who. Just imagine, bumping into you.

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#1655 - 2014-12-05 00:44:30 UTC
Zyxi Zhou-Laun wrote:

I am rather surprised ORE is to make this ship, though. Seems to me me it would be more along the lines of SoE or SoCT (I would prefer the latter). Scratch that. Both of those factions make ships which are quite versitile and capable of fighting back when attacked.

In fact, I would think SoCT would make a line of haulers adaptable to the needs of the buyer, but I guess that would be too intelligent.

SoCT does not manufacture ships as a regular thing. Gnosis was a one off, as are all of their previous ships.

SoE has the same sort of tech advantage as the pirates and thus all of their stuff is lumped in with pirates, and so requires either breaking precedent to require 1 freighter skill for a pirate freighter (angel freighter then plz) and it as a t1 freighter, requiring 2 skills to use the new faction freighter which is built like a pirate hull, and thus would top out in the low 800ks for tank and rewarding those few people with 2 seperate freighter skills.

ORE fits nicely. Its a ship which isn't combat focused, but industrially focused, has a decent tank, tech 1 but along a different development line from the official empires and they already are stated to build or at least design capital ships.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Zyxi Zhou-Laun
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#1656 - 2014-12-05 01:23:57 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Zyxi Zhou-Laun wrote:

SoCT does not manufacture ships as a regular thing. Gnosis was a one off, as are all of their previous ships..

I was not aware SoCT made any ships before the Gnosis. I only knew of the shuttle.

I was basing my statement on the values of the Gnosis.... a battlecruiser with excellent flexibility and low skill requirements.

Whichever dev came up with THAT design knew what new players needed to learn EvE and designed a sturdy ship for the purpose. He/she did an excellent job. That is shown by that rise in its price on the market.

Making a line of low-requirement, flexible industrials shouldn't be so difficult.

hello wall... I didn't see you standing there. Did I hurt cha? Boy, I sure did hit you square. Now one of us is plastered. I'll let you guess just who. Just imagine, bumping into you.

Lil' Brudder Too
Pistols for Pandas
#1657 - 2014-12-05 15:24:51 UTC
Bowhead simply needs more maint bay. If it will take me less time to move each of my three BS's than it will take for this ship itself to get moved to the pickup, then destination...i will never be using this ship.

This is compounded by the fact that if i'm going to use this ship at all, you can bet i won't be going anywhere without a friendly web....which further negates the time-savings of this ship with using a second pilot to move the original BS's to begin with.

CCP, please listen to the plethora of feedback in this thread, most of which is saying....it simply needs more capacity.
Zyxi Zhou-Laun
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#1658 - 2014-12-05 19:17:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Zyxi Zhou-Laun
Lil' Brudder Too wrote:
Bowhead simply needs more maint bay. If it will take me less time to move each of my three BS's than it will take for this ship itself to get moved to the pickup, then destination...i will never be using this ship.

This is compounded by the fact that if i'm going to use this ship at all, you can bet i won't be going anywhere without a friendly web....which further negates the time-savings of this ship with using a second pilot to move the original BS's to begin with.

CCP, please listen to the plethora of feedback in this thread, most of which is saying....it simply needs more capacity.

CCP is betting there will be a large number of players who will find a use for it in its present form.

They have made that bet with a number of ships and it has been a case of more flops than gold. The Nester (the SoE battleship) and the prospect being two flops I know of.

Though players on the forums are pointing out the GLARING problems with the bowhead, the chances CCP will fix them simply don't exist at this time. CCP doesn't seem to understand some aspects of their own game and the players who abide in those aspects. Solo players being one aspect they simply don't understand and/or just don't want in the game.

This desire to avoid solo play seems to be prevalent in many of their decisions... particularly ship design.

The bowhead in its present form does not support solo players. Unfortunately, it needs team play to be usefull and that need removes any benefit to using it in its present form. The need of yet ANOTHER skill for this ship and ONLY this ship lowers the value of this ship even more.

Letting the ship require an already existant skill (like Capitol Industrial) probably did not even occur to CCP and they're not going to admit it makes sense, so they will not implement the change. Increasing the size of the Bowhead's main bay with a skill's level is also an idea that makes sense, but since THAT would benefit solo players, it won't happen.

Scaling the ship's agility to a skill has been mentioned and it looks like CCP will be implementing it, but enabling the ship to use a microjump (so active players could escape ganking, but not AFK players) has not been commented on.

CCP has agreed that the ship's EHP was seriously below the logical value required for the value of its intended cargo and did agree to increase it. The fact that they did this in a manner which enabled it to benefit from being escorted by logi ships shows their desire to stress team play in EvE... this time in a very good way.

The bowhead will be bought in the first few weeks by players who want to test it and players who collect ships (I'm one of the collectors). Gankers will be joyous to have such a rich, slow target for their killmails. After those first few weeks, the bowhead will sit beside the Nestor as canidate for "the flop of the year".

If CCP really wanted to test the Bowhead, they'd provide it as one of the benefits of the "yule lads" this christmas like they did the leopard shuttle last year.
I don't expect them to do that for 2 reasons:
first: it's just simple too big a ship and the players WOULD find a use for it, but it would NOT be the purpose CCP intended.
second: the ship's GLARING problems would become evident to everyone, not just CCP. This will happen anyway, so I don't understand why CCP doesn't just fix it now.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1659 - 2014-12-06 01:11:54 UTC
Lil' Brudder Too wrote:

How will it take longer? Its a 10 second align time when properly fit. Webs would be useless for it.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#1660 - 2014-12-06 11:51:40 UTC
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie wrote:
Lil' Brudder Too wrote:

How will it take longer? Its a 10 second align time when properly fit. Webs would be useless for it.

Sigamp loki with quad web takes it <3s to get into warp as is.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp