These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rhea] Introducing the Bowhead

First post First post First post
Author
Marcus Tedric
Zebra Corp
Goonswarm Federation
#1621 - 2014-11-26 10:42:34 UTC
Jean Luc Lemmont wrote:

Speaking as a former alliance logistics manager, assembled ship courier contracts need to be a thing. Like yesterday.

Ummm, I think you must have mis-read my post....

'Assembled ship courier contracts' - are currently a thing - now.Big smile

Lady Rift wrote:

what does this ship do that a freighter cant with courier contracts?

It can carry 3 BS instead of only 2.Blink

Now, if it could carry packed ships as well - then we really would be talking!

Don't soil your panties, you guys made a good point, we'll look at the numbers again. - CCP Ytterbium

Jackie Cane
Chaos Gate
#1622 - 2014-11-26 12:01:39 UTC
This ship needs a jump drive
Jean Luc Lemmont
Carebears on Fire
#1623 - 2014-11-26 15:44:50 UTC
Marcus Tedric wrote:
Jean Luc Lemmont wrote:

Speaking as a former alliance logistics manager, assembled ship courier contracts need to be a thing. Like yesterday.

Ummm, I think you must have mis-read my post....

'Assembled ship courier contracts' - are currently a thing - now.Big smile

Lady Rift wrote:

what does this ship do that a freighter cant with courier contracts?

It can carry 3 BS instead of only 2.Blink

Now, if it could carry packed ships as well - then we really would be talking!

Well, what I meant was, we need a category of ship courier contract that will fit in an SMA/SMB rather than cargo space.

Will I get banned for boxing!?!?!

This thread has degenerated to the point it's become like two bald men fighting over a comb. -- Doc Fury

It's bonuses, not boni, you cretins.

Jean Luc Lemmont
Carebears on Fire
#1624 - 2014-11-26 15:46:33 UTC
Jackie Cane wrote:

That will be for the T2 variant. Like jump freighters, you'll less space than the T1 version and a jump drive, and unlike carriers they would be able to move around in highsec like a jump freighter.

Will I get banned for boxing!?!?!

This thread has degenerated to the point it's become like two bald men fighting over a comb. -- Doc Fury

It's bonuses, not boni, you cretins.

FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#1625 - 2014-11-26 19:43:25 UTC
Jean Luc Lemmont wrote:
Jackie Cane wrote:

That will be for the T2 variant. Like jump freighters, you'll less space than the T1 version and a jump drive, and unlike carriers they would be able to move around in highsec like a jump freighter.

Like jump freighters, this would be a significant quality of life improvement that is also bad for the game. Ships should not be able to use jump drives in high sec (should have to make at least one gate jump into low or null).

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#1626 - 2014-11-27 16:22:56 UTC
FT Diomedes wrote:
Jean Luc Lemmont wrote:
Jackie Cane wrote:

Like jump freighters, this would be a significant quality of life improvement that is also bad for the game. Ships should not be able to use jump drives in high sec (should have to make at least one gate jump into low or null).

That is a pretty bold statement considering where your alliance resides.

Think about how much a few lost JF's loaded with alliance needs would impact the cost of you and your alliance mates fielding a fleet.

JF's already run the risk of entering empire space (often loaded with an alliances income) via gates, always have. You would see them exit empire in the same manner?

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Gerald Mardiska
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1627 - 2014-11-28 09:48:21 UTC
Lidia Caderu wrote:
Quote:
5% bonus to max velocity per level

What is that for?

so it can go faster the higher the lvl is trained.Big smile
Arla Sarain
#1628 - 2014-12-01 00:02:19 UTC
Really like the design. Very industrial and utilitarian.

Hopefully more ships with a design philosophy like that, but those that take more of an active role within player conflicts.

Shamelessly hinting on https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5233096#post5233096
Joe Risalo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1629 - 2014-12-01 00:06:30 UTC
I know i'm a bit late to the party, but I feel this ship needs a bit more cargo, as it is most likely gonna be used for moving purposes.

I'd say something in the 50k range if you choose to fill the lows with T2 cargo hold optimization
Yume Ookami
Cognitive Disonance
#1630 - 2014-12-01 04:21:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Yume Ookami
i say the ship and the BPO need to require ship maintenance arrays instead of cargo bays.

since this ship is based around ship maintenance arrays instead of cargo bays.

but i guess that is just me
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#1631 - 2014-12-01 04:59:39 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
FT Diomedes wrote:
Jean Luc Lemmont wrote:
Jackie Cane wrote:

That is a pretty bold statement considering where your alliance resides.

Think about how much a few lost JF's loaded with alliance needs would impact the cost of you and your alliance mates fielding a fleet.

JF's already run the risk of entering empire space (often loaded with an alliances income) via gates, always have. You would see them exit empire in the same manner?

Yes. Not everyone in my alliance would agree with me, but that's my opinion.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Thorr VonAsgard
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1632 - 2014-12-01 09:42:01 UTC
Jean Luc Lemmont wrote:
Jackie Cane wrote:

You mean carrier....

You miss blink ? Come and play with us at EVE-Lotteries.com !

Envie de fraicheur ? Frugu, le forum fruité est fait pour toi !

Dangeresque Too
Pistols for Pandas
#1633 - 2014-12-01 16:14:20 UTC
So much for the supposed update today to make the BPO not just a straight material copy of the Obelisk... Thats what I get for hoping CCP will actually not half-do something that is being released next week.

On the note of it's bay size, once my brother gets home I think I'm going to have to do a test to see if hauling a couple battleships with this thing is actually faster than flying the battleships there myself. As it stands it doesn't seem like it will hold enough ships to actually save time compared to doing it the old fashioned way.
Tappits
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion
#1634 - 2014-12-01 16:55:37 UTC
Jackie Cane wrote:

That is in fact called a carrier.
Jessica Danikov
Network Danikov
#1635 - 2014-12-01 19:23:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Jessica Danikov
Tappits wrote:
Jackie Cane wrote:

That is in fact called a carrier.

Why not shrink the ship maintenance array on carriers? The carrier class already has far too many roles involved and could use having its role as ghetto/defacto 'ship freighter' taken away from it. I'd propose dropping carrier SMAs down to 750k m3 in order to limit it strictly to 1 battleship + misc others.

With that in mind, we're stuck with a nasty conundrum: a packaged battleship is 50,000 m3, which means you could jam 10 of them into a Freighter (24 with cargo expanders), or 3 of them into a cargo expanded Jump Freighter (7 with expanders). Unpackaged, they're in the 400-600k m3 range, meaning 2 max in a carrier.

Let's assume the Bowhead is a T1 ship freighter. The proposed size of the Bowhead pegs it at 3-4 unpackaged battleships with max skills, which is 40% of equivalent unpackaged transport. Furthermore, this capacity is not buffable with lowslot modules and it really should be to give the same choice offered to freighter pilots. Call them external ship pods, give them bonus to SMA size and negatives to structure and cargo size, might need a role fitting bonus to stop them being used on Rorquals/Carriers, or to balance Rorquals/Carriers to allow their use as a tradeoff with other lowslots.

This seems rather punitive. Instead, if we aim for 75% of the freighter equivalent packaged capacity as a trade-off for moving them assembled, the Bowhead should be closer to 7-8 battleships = ship maintenance bay of almost double size (maxing out at 16 battleships with SMA expanders). Let's say it starts at 3,000,000 m3 and smoothly increases by 100k m3 per level to 3,500,000 m3 with Ore Freighter V, giving that equivalent capacity if we want to keep the skill involvement.

Between the carrier nerf and the Bowhead, that opens up a niche for a T2 Bowhead jump variant (let's call it a Minke). Again, that should come in at 75% of equivalent to jump freighter, so probably around 1,100,000 m3, also with the option to buff with lowslot modules. Naturally this also fits the expected pattern of freighters having jump counter-parts, ORE ships having T2 versions.

Phoebe nerfed jumping into the ground and gate to gate travel has always been tedious and dangerous. Even with jumping, the speed of Bowhead/T2 Variant won't circumvent the nerfs to power projection and this capacity offers the choice of far greater risk, for those willing to take it.
Thorado
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1636 - 2014-12-02 11:28:47 UTC
How many ships can it hold?
crachdown
united capsuleers of new eden
#1637 - 2014-12-02 15:17:09 UTC  |  Edited by: crachdown
don't know if this have been said or not but...

on sisi it say you need 75 capital cargo bays to build the ship

wouldn't it make more sense for the bp to use capital ship maintenance bays instead

just saying it's a ship shipping ships
LCPL SERENITY
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1638 - 2014-12-03 01:29:51 UTC
CCP Rise should we expect to see a non Jump drive version that increases the ship maintenance array capacity? This being that you can not use a cyno in highsec. The Jump drive seams like a waste for non lowsec / null / WH players.
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#1639 - 2014-12-03 01:51:54 UTC
crachdown wrote:
don't know if this have been said or not but...

on sisi it say you need 75 capital cargo bays to build the ship

wouldn't it make more sense for the bp to use capital ship maintenance bays instead

just saying it's a ship shipping ships

I don't believe they updated that yet. Afaik they just copy-pasted the obelisk stats and adjusted from there.
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#1640 - 2014-12-03 01:53:25 UTC
LCPL SERENITY wrote:
CCP Rise should we expect to see a non Jump drive version that increases the ship maintenance array capacity? This being that you can not use a cyno in highsec. The Jump drive seams like a waste for non lowsec / null / WH players.

There is no jump drive.