These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rhea] Introducing the Bowhead

First post First post First post
Author
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#1201 - 2014-11-14 20:38:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Veers Belvar
baltec1 wrote:

Chist alive Pith A types? This makes your fit EVEN MORE gank worthy. I'd at least assumed you would have had the sense to fit the C types...

Please, fly this thing so we can get this ALOD.

Months of flying...incursion runners travel with this stuff every day...and no ganks.

Why?

Because of cloak+mwd trick, huge tanks, and most gankers being -10 and unable to wait on gates, therefore needing to use bumping.

Result - freighters ganked, haulers ganked, miners ganked....incursion & mission runners - not ganked.

So now explain why the Bowhead should expose me to more risk than the 0% I face now???
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#1202 - 2014-11-14 20:38:32 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

Not sure what you are trying to say. That you think my fit is "terrible" shows that you just don't understand the game. Not sure you really belong in highsec.

I only use it when...ehrmm....travelling...so undock....warp to gate, warp to next gate...etc....dock.

Faction and Deadspace fittings are things more likely to make you a gank target, not less. Thus, it is a terrible travel fit.

Mods that align you quickly will synergize with your MWD Cloak trick. 1600 plates work against that. Thus, its a terrible travel fit.

Wrong...if cloak + mwd fails...you are getting pointed...fast align won't help....but a brick tank, which may make it impossible for the gankers to gank you with their numbers on hand (they don't often have 20 nados handy) will. And the point is to fit with your incursion equipment to obviate the need for multiple trips.

Cloak + mwd only fails because of the brick tank preventing you from aligning quickly.

If you don't get that, you've not used the maneuver when it actually matters enough to generate real experience with it.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1203 - 2014-11-14 20:38:51 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Valterra Craven wrote:

So, if as you state it was a disaster, why didn't they revert it in their second pass?

The barge lineup was messed up badly. It wasnt the ganking that was the disater, it was the fact that the barge lineup because very unbalanced and favoured the use of just two ships out of six.

Valterra Craven wrote:

Well I haven't seen CCP state this nor have I experienced this safety myself having lost a number of ships after these changes.

Maby you should look things up before you make baseless claims.
Valterra Craven wrote:

System: Raussinen
Security: 0.5

[Mackinaw, Mackinaw]
Damage Control II
Reactor Control Unit II
Power Diagnostic System II

Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction

Modulated Strip Miner II
Modulated Strip Miner II

Its a poor fit and it happened a year ago.

Valterra Craven wrote:

No its not. You've said yourself that the numbers of freighters that have died to ganks in the past two years has remained constant. These ships didn't get the HP buff that the barges did. So given that your timeframe includes the crimewatch changes, then one can conclude that the changes CCP has made over the years have not affected the ganking of all ships equally.

Actually freighters were effectivly nerfed with their change this year due to people being able to anti-tank them. Crimewatch changed many things about ganking but did not have the impact that nerfs such as the concord response time has had.
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#1204 - 2014-11-14 20:41:04 UTC
War Kitten wrote:

Cloak + mwd only fails because of the brick tank preventing you from aligning quickly.

If you don't get that, you've not used the maneuver when it actually matters enough to generate real experience with it.

It actually never fails if you do it right. Anyway, a mach. even with some plates, is still gonna align much faster than a clunky hauler. Which also doesn't matter, because 99% of the gankers can't get enough dps to punch through a 300k+ tank in 20 seconds...and you can't trap a mach through bumping. Result - no ganking.

Now please explain why a bowhead should expose incursion runners to more than the 0% risk they face now????
Valterra Craven
#1205 - 2014-11-14 20:42:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Valterra Craven
Querns wrote:
Valterra Craven wrote:

Well there's this saying about assuming things... I stated that I respect you because I've most often seen you rise above the actions of the majority of your alliance mates. My purposes were not to character assassinate you personally, but to merely build a frame of reference around how a majority of your affiliates argue. Like it or not Goons don't exactly have a sterling reputation for forum behavior and none of that is by my doing. If you are thus offended then perhaps you should rethink your affiliations. You will note that based on my corp history I didn't stay with BoB through the foolishness of the great war primarily because I thought they had poor moral ground to stand on as it were and I left. You are more than capable of making those same choices.

This still counts as character assassination. My affiliations have nothing to do with my forums posting, and I have graciously extended this consideration to others. Building a frame of reference about how the majority of my affiliates argue has nothing to do with how *I* argue and trying to use that as the fulcrum to demand an above-and-beyond level of busywork is asinine.

I'm sorry but that is a pretty flimsy argument considering that before I even mention your affiliations I said you were above them. This is doubly true when the points I was making were referring to how others were posting in this thread and that I was trying to find a way to confront THEIR foolishness. You will note that I never requested you to provide that data, because well you never made that arguement. In my response to you I said I wouldn't refrain from asking others to back up their claims when they were making arguments that can't be backed up. Since I had already stated that I did not observe that behavior from you I'm not sure how you could possibly conclude that you were included in the same vein as your affliates.

Querns wrote:
Valterra Craven wrote:

So you are arguing that the only effective deterrent to ganking is and always will be to add HP to ships then? And thereby saying by extension that all of the other arguments that people are making about crime watch are indeed irrelevant to ganking?

Holy Jump To Conclusions, Batman.

Uh, no. That is not remotely what I said.

Well then what was the point you were trying to make? I fail to see how how barge HP changes relate to the state of ganking as a whole when looking at changes like crime watch etc.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1206 - 2014-11-14 20:42:20 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Chist alive Pith A types? This makes your fit EVEN MORE gank worthy. I'd at least assumed you would have had the sense to fit the C types...

Months of flying...incursion runners travel with this stuff every day...and no ganks.

Why?

Because of cloak+mwd trick, huge tanks, and most gankers being -10 and unable to wait on gates, therefore needing to use bumping.

Result - freighters ganked, haulers ganked, miners ganked....incursion & mission runners - not ganked.

So now explain why the Bowhead should expose me to more risk than the 0% I face now???

Incursion runners do not fit ships like this, I'm starting to think you don't do incursions at all. At the very least I know you don't fit your ships yourself and most likely use battleclinic because that fit is just horrid.
Querns
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#1207 - 2014-11-14 20:42:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Querns
Valterra Craven wrote:
No its not. You've said yourself that the numbers of freighters that have died to ganks in the past two years has remained constant. These ships didn't get the HP buff that the barges did.

Freighters received significantly larger increases in EHP than barges did. While each freighter lost some raw hull, each of them received a more-than-commensurate increase in shields and/or armor to compensate, as well as the ability to fit three reinforced bulkheads, increasing their hull EHP to 175% of what it is normally. This more than compensates for the slight reduction in raw hull EHP, when throwing the increase in shield/armor EHP out the window.

See https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=345280 for more information about the freighter buffs.

This post was crafted by the wormhole expert of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#1208 - 2014-11-14 20:44:19 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Why?

Incursion runners do not fit ships like this, I'm starting to think you don't do incursions at all. At the very least I know you don't fit your ships yourself and most likely use battleclinic because that fit is just horrid.

That you are clueless about incursions is kinda irrelevant. Quit goons and go run them for a couple of months, and then you can talk.

But again - a travel fit mach like mine faces 0% risk of ganking....why should the bowhead raise my risk profile???? It's not being designed as a loot pinata.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1209 - 2014-11-14 20:47:06 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Veers Belvar wrote:

That you are clueless about incursions is kinda irrelevant. Quit goons and go run them for a couple of months, and then you can talk.

But again - a travel fit mach like mine faces 0% risk of ganking....why should the bowhead raise my risk profile???? It's not being designed as a loot pinata.

You call me clueless after showing us a travel fit mach that is slower than normal, sports more isk than most incursion boats and uses things like faction plates that are WORSE than t2...

Christ we could throw 40 tornados at this thing and still walk away with a profit.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#1210 - 2014-11-14 20:48:45 UTC
Well just today I did a minor deployment to be there for a little action, so moved some ships for this, having one of these with my logistics toon and my self in a webbing ships would be the approach. There was 1 BS and multiple fitted cruisers, of course people outside Incursion runners will run them.

But here is the issue, 3 x T2 fitted T1 BS, we are talking about 205 to 270m ISK say per BS, but lets step back and add some cruisers, a Loki with factin webs, 750m , or a Vagabond, 190m, and of course we can get a lot more in and their hull costs are similar to a T1 BS, yet you can fit in a lot more of them.

If CCP is using a benchmark of 3 x T2 fitted T1 BS then they are under-estimating the required tank, simple as.

Baltec and others have said that ganking has gone down, and in truth they are technically right because they compare to the massive campaigns of ganking that went on in the past, but the real comparison is ISK value and with the ganking of freighters rather than paper thin mining ships the actual cost is way up even if the actual number of ganks is down. Of course I cannot prove what I said as I am not CCP and neither is Baltec, however it does not take that many full freighters or JF's does it to beat ISK values of Hulks....

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#1211 - 2014-11-14 20:48:48 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:

Now please explain why a bowhead should expose incursion runners to more than the 0% risk they face now????

Properly used, with this level of EHP, it won't expose you to more risk if you need the convenience of moving many ships in fewer trips. Stuffing it full of Pith-A and Core-X mods would be exposing yourself to the risk - not the ship's fault.

If you just need to move your one pricey BS, then there's no need for you to use it. Others will find it handy.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Querns
Caldari State
#1212 - 2014-11-14 20:50:15 UTC
Valterra Craven wrote:

I'm sorry but that is a pretty flimsy argument considering that before I even mention your affiliations I said you were above them. This is doubly true when the points I was making were referring to how others were posting in this thread and that I was trying to find a way to confront THEIR foolishness. You will note that I never requested you to provide that data, because well you never made that arguement. In my response to you I said I wouldn't refrain from asking others to back up their claims when they were making arguments that can't be backed up. Since I had already stated that I did not observe that behavior from you I'm not sure how you could possibly conclude that you were included in the same vein as your affliates.

The principle still applies — your preconceived notions due to the poster's alliance colored your responses. If you were willing to overlook it for me, personally, great — that doesn't excuse you for turning heel and continuing to do it to others.

I inherently discard all information about a poster's alliance and corporation when posting because using that information to assassinate a person's character is poor form. It makes things too easy. I prefer to operate from a position where that cannot be used against me, and I often succeed.
Valterra Craven wrote:

Well then what was the point you were trying to make? I fail to see how how barge HP changes relate to the state of ganking as a whole when looking at changes like crime watch etc.

The point is that the barge EHP increase had a measurable effect in reducing the incidence of suicide ganking.

Hell, we can measure it right now — I, personally, stopped suicide ganking due to that change. Too much effort for too little reward.

This post was crafted by the wormhole expert of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

Valterra Craven
#1213 - 2014-11-14 20:50:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Valterra Craven
baltec1 wrote:

The barge lineup was messed up badly. It wasnt the ganking that was the disater, it was the fact that the barge lineup because very unbalanced and favoured the use of just two ships out of six.

K, so why make the statement when it has nothing to do with the argument of ganking vs hp?

baltec1 wrote:

Maby you should look things up before you make baseless claims.

What exactly is baseless about the claim I made?

baltec1 wrote:

Its a poor fit.

Compared to what? The fit that most people have on when they get ganked, or the maxed possible tank fit available?

baltec1 wrote:

Actually freighters were effectivly nerfed with their change this year due to people being able to anti-tank them.

Querns wrote:

See https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=345280 for more information about the freighter buffs.

Well at least you guys are consistently inconsistent....
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1214 - 2014-11-14 20:52:58 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
Well just today I did a minor deployment to be there for a little action, so moved some ships for this, having one of these with my logistics toon and my self in a webbing ships would be the approach. There was 1 BS and multiple fitted cruisers, of course people outside Incursion runners will run them.

But here is the issue, 3 x T2 fitted T1 BS, we are talking about 205 to 270m ISK say per BS, but lets step back and add some cruisers, a Loki with factin webs, 750m , or a Vagabond, 190m, and of course we can get a lot more in and their hull costs are similar to a T1 BS, yet you can fit in a lot more of them.

If CCP is using a benchmark of 3 x T2 fitted T1 BS then they are under-estimating the required tank, simple as.

Baltec and others have said that ganking has gone down, and in truth they are technically right because they compare to the massive campaigns of ganking that went on in the past, but the real comparison is ISK value and with the ganking of freighters rather than paper thin mining ships the actual cost is way up even if the actual number of ganks is down. Of course I cannot prove what I said as I am not CCP and neither is Baltec, however it does not take that many full freighters or JF's does it to beat ISK values of Hulks....

Actually we made more with the mining interdictions because the hulks were not where the profit was being made.

Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#1215 - 2014-11-14 20:54:27 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

You call me clueless after showing us a travel fit mach that is slower than normal, sports more isk than most incursion boats and uses things like faction plates that are WORSE than t2...

Christ we could throw 40 tornados at this thing and still walk away with a profit.

Skills forced a very minor compromise....will be fixed soon.

Again..speed doesn't matter...I just use cloak + mwd.....and gankers in high don't have 40 nados hanging around....they face limited numbers....hence the use of bumping and multiple waves.

So again - using cloak + mwd incursion runners can travel in absolute safety with all the shiny onboard.

Why should the Bowhead increase their risk profile?
Querns
Caldari State
#1216 - 2014-11-14 20:54:48 UTC
Valterra Craven wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Actually freighters were effectivly nerfed with their change this year due to people being able to anti-tank them.

Querns wrote:

It isn't CCP's job to enforce player fits. If players want to increase their risk by fitting modules that reduce their tank to increase their efficacy at another role, that's fine, but you make a conscious decision when doing so to increase your exposure to a suicide gank event.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1217 - 2014-11-14 20:55:58 UTC
Valterra Craven wrote:

K, so why make the statement when it has nothing to do with the argument of ganking vs hp?

Context.

Valterra Craven wrote:

What exactly is baseless about the claim I made?

That ganking is unchanged over the years.

Valterra Craven wrote:

Compared to what? The fit that most people have on when they get ganked, or the maxed possible tank fit available?

Compared to a good fit.

Valterra Craven wrote:

He isnt wrong, you can get more tank. I am also not wrong, you can reduce the tank to well below what they used to have.
Querns
Caldari State
#1218 - 2014-11-14 20:56:08 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
Again..speed doesn't matter...I just use cloak + mwd.....and gankers in high don't have 40 nados hanging around....they face limited numbers....hence the use of bumping and multiple waves.

So again - using cloak + mwd incursion runners can travel in absolute safety with all the shiny onboard.

So, the gankers don't have enough hulls and pilots to gank a battleship with less EHP, but they do with bowheads?

I'm confused.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1219 - 2014-11-14 20:58:14 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

Skills forced a very minor compromise....will be fixed soon.

Speed is everything with the MWD trick. You want to get into warp faster not slower.

Also the tactics used on freighters are not the same as used on subcaps.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1220 - 2014-11-14 20:59:06 UTC
Querns wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

So, the gankers don't have enough hulls and pilots to gank a battleship with less EHP, but they do with bowheads?

I'm confused.

Im still trying to get my head around how he can manage to fail in every goal he had with this ship.