These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rhea] Introducing the Bowhead

First post First post First post
Author
Dwissi
Miners Delight Reborn
#1061 - 2014-11-14 15:11:31 UTC
SFM Hobb3s wrote:
For a ship designed specifically for hisec use, I'm surprised it even has a jump drive. Considering that everyone has been arguing why the ship that absolutely needed it, the Nestor, doesn't have one.

Its not a jump drive but the bonus of reducing jump fatigue by 90% - when using a jump bridge like other haulers.

Proud designer of glasses for geeky dovakins

Before someone complains again: grr everyone

Greed is the death of loyalty

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1062 - 2014-11-14 15:56:16 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
Ix Method wrote:
Bagrat Skalski wrote:
In a ship so huge, why there would be no drone bay? Shocked

Small drone bay would even make this ship capable of repairing other ships outside the maintenance bay. Or even limited self defence.

Why only hauling other ships?? In a hull like that, there should be secondary and tertiary activity build in for a limited small scale support.

Another way to 'break free of the empires', etc, etc.

A 25/75 bay for Logi Drones might be a nice touch without meaningfully improving its defence. But then I guess you could say the same for a high for an Improved Cloak, in the end you could lump all sorts of **** onto this for all kinds of reasons.

Oooh, that gave me an idea (not a sarcastic one either)...

The Bowhead could be allowed to repair other ships and make it a floating garage. Ships in the SMB could be right-click repaired by the pilot - including module overheat damage.

Like this from another game universe?
:)
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#1063 - 2014-11-14 15:57:02 UTC
Valterra Craven wrote:

Now, the original point you made was that due to all of the changes over the years that high sec ganking and and other activities have been drastically cut down.

This is where you went wrong - I'll ignore the rest of your post because your premise is flawed. That was not the point I made.

I did *say* that the modification to crimewatch was a nerf to hisec criminality, but that was not my point. It was just to establish the fact that CCP visited hisec crime mechanics recently. You can argue that all you like about whether it is a nerf or not until you're blue in the face - it is not my point, as I've stated a few times now.

In your rush to argue, you're still pants-on-head and head-in-the-sand wrong and being obtuse.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Euripedies
Hot Droppin Cherry Poppers
#1064 - 2014-11-14 16:11:55 UTC
+1 for the Bowhead/ Space Tug

Finally my very own space tug I can haul my ships in.
While incursion runners may use them for their shiny ships, I have lots of small ships I would like to haul here and there. When I need to move to another region I can just load up and go, awesome.
Querns
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#1065 - 2014-11-14 16:23:06 UTC
Euripedies wrote:

While incursion runners may use them for their shiny ships, I have lots of small ships I would like to haul here and there. When I need to move to another region I can just load up and go, awesome.

See? A use case. The fact that the ship isn't being custom tailored to the whims of the single example proffered by the devblog does not obviate the entire ship's purpose.

This post was crafted by the wormhole expert of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

EvilweaselFinance
GoonCorp
Goonswarm Federation
#1066 - 2014-11-14 16:31:02 UTC
Bagrat Skalski wrote:
In a ship so huge, why there would be no drone bay? Shocked

titans don't have a drone bay
Yume Ookami
Cognitive Disonance
#1067 - 2014-11-14 16:36:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Yume Ookami
Anonymous Forumposter wrote:
Ix Method wrote:
Any news on courier contracting goodness?

Not yet.

Things people are waiting for answers to:

1) Will this ship cause modifications to plastic wrapping ships in courier contracts?
- a) Will we be able to haul plastic wrapped ships in the Bowhead?
- b) Will plastic wrapped ships still be courier-able via freighters and other ships

2) SMA or SMB?
- a) Will this ship have a Ship Maintenance Array (P.O.S. Module that holds both packaged and unpackaged ships and also allows you to assemble ships inside it.)?
- b) or a Ship Maintenance Bay (Like every other ship that holds ships)

3) Will we be able to board and load ships to/from this vessel in space?

4) Will we be able to refit ships in space using this ship?

If you're also interested in the answers to these questions, please like this post!

1.a) no since it is a ship for hauling ships, plastic wrap is not a ship.
1.b) IDK but i think that it will be changed to not allow it.

2.a) probably not since it is intended to haul "assembled and rigged ships".
2.b) this part was stated as part of the ship, so i assume it to still be this way.

3) probably not since it does not have a ship maintenance bay.

4) probably not since it does not have a ship maintenance bay that works to generate refitting services.

this is only my understanding of it and may be changed by the devs... i hope it will have refitting and a fleet hanger.
Dreiden Kisada
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1068 - 2014-11-14 16:37:32 UTC
Bertucio wrote:

Actually it's the gankers here that have been arguing for "entitlement" i.e. their entitlement to use a bunch of cheap dessies to take down a Billion+ freighter and its goods. You don't see any problems but many of us do i.e. it's pretty straightforward these days to take down a freighter in Uedama by a group of cheap dessies. In fact, there's not much of a challenge taking down a defenseless ship in hi-sec, and I often wonder if the griefers have anything more challenging in life to do. But hey, not my cup of tea.

You just said "I've never done this activity, but I will tell you all about this activity as if i've ever done it"
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1069 - 2014-11-14 16:47:01 UTC
Querns wrote:
Euripedies wrote:

See? A use case. The fact that the ship isn't being custom tailored to the whims of the single example proffered by the devblog does not obviate the entire ship's purpose.

The only small issue I ave with this is the thing was stated to be geared toward incursion runners when it was first talked about. I'm not saying the ship is bad or anything, just that it ended up missing it's intended target. If we can unload fitted ships in space, it will be a dream come true for ganking squads imo and that mean a second use case.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1070 - 2014-11-14 17:09:38 UTC
Stating these ships are made for high sec use was a mistake. By far the most use these ships will see will be outside of high sec where the demand for moving large numbers of fitted ships is very high.
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#1071 - 2014-11-14 17:12:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniel Plain
this will probably be my only contribution to this topic, so i will try to sum up my thoughts on this as concisely as possible.

1. usefulness: given that the hull cost will probably be in the billions and the complementary skill will be a long train, there has to be a damn good use case or else this hull will not be used a lot. i myself have quite a few rigged hulls lying around across hisec and i'm still not sure if i want to go through the trouble of getting one of those. this leads me to believe that indeed, only incursion runners will make regular use of the hull.

2. ganking: given the above, there is a very good reason to make this hull virtually ungankable. as we all know, miniluv and CODE are not the only groups killing freighters for sport (and good for them), so the question of dropping ship hulls from the maintenance bay (array?) is less important than the question of exposing expensive assets.

2.1 unfitting shiny mods: this is not a viable solution, not because it makes players choose between tedium and danger (as this balance is present in many parts of EVE), but because it requires a second trip or a second char. if you need to fly twice or have two toons anyway, you might as well fly your ships manually and enjoy faster align times and faster warp speeds.

3. conclusion: if CCP wants to give the hull a solid role, they have to cater to incursion runners, which means raising the EHP to almost 7 digit levels at least. that said, i have no problem accepting another eccentric and underused hull into the EVE universe to counteract the gleichschaltung that is taking place in other areas.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Querns
Caldari State
#1072 - 2014-11-14 17:15:44 UTC
Daniel Plain wrote:

2. ganking: given the above, there is a very good reason to make this hull virtually ungankable.

I disagree.

This post was crafted by the wormhole expert of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

Yume Ookami
Cognitive Disonance
#1073 - 2014-11-14 17:19:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Yume Ookami
Daniel Plain wrote:
this will probably be my only contribution to this topic, so i will try to sum up my thoughts on this as concisely as possible.

1. usefulness: given that the hull cost will probably be in the billions and the complementary skill will be a long train.

the skill will probably not be any more time than a current freighter skill. maybe x6 training time so maybe an hour for level 1.
and the ship "should be" on par with the other freighters for price in the end.
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#1074 - 2014-11-14 17:20:14 UTC
Querns wrote:
Daniel Plain wrote:

2. ganking: given the above, there is a very good reason to make this hull virtually ungankable.

I disagree.

it's always cool to disagree without stating your reasons. it makes you seem edgy and cool.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Querns
Caldari State
#1075 - 2014-11-14 17:20:30 UTC
The disconnect here is that the calls for seven digit EHP and other forms of invincibility assume a position where attempting to evade or out-think the gankers in question is never broached. In a pure PvP game such as Eve: Online, you must keep death in mind at all times. There is no safety. You are prey at all times until you choose to become a predator, and even then you're only not prey if you are at the top of your game.

FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#1076 - 2014-11-14 17:24:14 UTC  |  Edited by: FireFrenzy
baltec1 wrote:
Stating these ships are made for high sec use was a mistake. By far the most use these ships will see will be outside of high sec where the demand for moving large numbers of fitted ships is very high.

Okay Baltec, you know i enjoy your usual sense of crazy, and you have given me some of your nut ball fits when i asked nicely.

But if i might be so bold, How do you know what they were thinking? I assume the person who typed the post, and presumably had some impact on the design of the ship, might know what he was thinking when he typed the text, and maybe actually remembered what the internal discussions were like. I should expect Rise to have a functional memory at the very least...

EDIT: What i am saying is that unless you are the reincarnation of jezus (and if you are i am very sorry) please stop claiming other people are mistaken when you have no factual basis to support such a claim. (and "I want to fly this thing in 0.0 and BLEEP highsec" isnt a fact)
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#1077 - 2014-11-14 17:24:36 UTC
Querns wrote:
The disconnect here is that the calls for seven digit EHP and other forms of invincibility assume a position where attempting to evade or out-think the gankers in question is never broached. In a pure PvP game such as Eve: Online, you must keep death in mind at all times. There is no safety. You are prey at all times until you choose to become a predator, and even then you're only not prey if you are at the top of your game.

I see. Funny how in nullsec they have these ships called "titans" that are unkillable by pretty much anything except other titans and dreads. And when they are part of a large fleet with triage carriers, run by lets just say, Goonswarm Federation, they are virtually unkillable at all.

So we already have virtually invincible ships in nullsec, and the game somehow seems to be surviving. If incursion runners get a very tough to gank ship in highsec (replicating the virtual impossibility of ganking cloak + mwd + travel fit incursion battletships currently), that seems unlikely to somehow break the game.
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#1078 - 2014-11-14 17:24:59 UTC
Querns wrote:

so we are back to tedium vs. risk. in that case, the best solution would be to not waste time and effort on avoiding ganks and move your hulls the old way, which defeats the purpose of the new ship. and to restate it, i have no horse in this race, i'm just predicting what will likely happen.

I should buy an Ishtar.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1079 - 2014-11-14 17:28:18 UTC
Daniel Plain wrote:
Querns wrote:
Daniel Plain wrote:

I disagree.

it's always cool to disagree without stating your reasons. it makes you seem edgy and cool.

No cargo ship should ever be virtually ungankable right out of the box. If you want that level of security then you must put in the effort to do it yourself.
Querns
Caldari State
#1080 - 2014-11-14 17:28:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Querns
Veers Belvar wrote:
Querns wrote:

I see. Funny how in nullsec they have these ships called "titans" that are unkillable by pretty much anything except other titans and dreads. And when they are part of a large fleet with triage carriers, run by lets just say, Goonswarm Federation, they are virtually unkillable at all.

So we already have virtually invincible ships in nullsec, and the game somehow seems to be surviving. If incursion runners get a very tough to gank ship in highsec (replicating the virtual impossibility of ganking cloak + mwd + travel fit incursion battletships currently), that seems unlikely to somehow break the game.

See, now you're just making things up. Titans die all the time.

Case in point: A small alliane, LowSechnaya Sholupen, killed a Northern Coalitiondot titan very recently. There are 11 people on the mail, and the bulk of the DPS was applied via simple dreadnought. Northern Coalitiondot currently controls more space than we do.

Your views on eve are, frankly, extremely myopic, and your failure to actually understand the reality of the situation casts quite a bit of doubt over your ability to think objectively outside of your own vignette.

e: LowSechnaya Sholupen is an alliance, not a corporation. My apologies.