These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rhea] Introducing the Bowhead

First post First post First post
Author
Jean Luc Lemmont
Carebears on Fire
#1001 - 2014-11-13 20:41:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Jean Luc Lemmont
Bertucio wrote:

This does make me wonder if the real design goal of the Bowhead is just to provide more cannon fodder for gankers? Since as it stands now - unless you fly with it in a fleet or dual account play and have some kind of logistics, you're going to have to say bye bye to your Bowhead everytime a group of 20 cheap dessies and their CODE? leader want to gank it in hi-sec.

My question for you would be - why is it so hard to find a like minded group of people all travelling in the same direction to provide support and scouting? People in nullsec do this all the time - they're called fleets. They manage to move freighters full to bursting of minerals and station/i-hub mods in an area where black ops roam like cows on the prarie and they generally manage to get to the end of the trip in one piece.

If only there was a way to bring some of this space magic to highsec.

Oh, yeah, it's not magic. It's called pulling your head out of your ass and working together to acheive a common goal. The incursion community especially already has the infrastructure and pilots to make this kind of fleet through highsec a reality - you can pull together long to make shedloads of ISK, but to be expected to help out when moving day comes and you act like someone just kicked your favorite puppy.

I guarantee you that the Incursion corps that start making the most ISK will be the ones that make this a reality - they will move their entire operation in an organized single fleet and be up and running long before their less willing to adapt competitors.

FFS people. If you want to be antisocial in a social game, that's fine - but failing to use the available tools to solve your problem is not CCP's problem to fix.

Will I get banned for boxing!?!?!

This thread has degenerated to the point it's become like two bald men fighting over a comb. -- Doc Fury

It's bonuses, not boni, you cretins.

Bertucio
Chandra Labs
#1002 - 2014-11-13 20:52:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Bertucio
Jean Luc Lemmont wrote:
Bertucio wrote:

This does make me wonder if the real design goal of the Bowhead is just to provide more cannon fodder for gankers? Since as it stands now - unless you fly with it in a fleet or dual account play and have some kind of logistics, you're going to have to say bye bye to your Bowhead everytime a group of 20 cheap dessies and their CODE? leader want to gank it in hi-sec.

My question for you would be - why is it so hard to find a like minded group of people all travelling in the same direction to provide support and scouting? People in nullsec do this all the time - they're called fleets. They manage to move freighters full to bursting of minerals and station/i-hub mods in an area where black ops roam like cows on the prarie and they generally manage to get to the end of the trip in one piece.

If only there was a way to bring some of this space magic to highsec.

Oh, yeah, it's not magic. It's called pulling your head out of your ass and working together to acheive a common goal. The incursion community especially already has the infrastructure and pilots to make this kind of fleet through highsec a reality - you can pull together long to make shedloads of ISK, but to be expected to help out when moving day comes and you act like someone just kicked your favorite puppy.

I guarantee you that the Incursion corps that start making the most ISK will be the ones that make this a reality - they will move their entire operation in an organized single fleet and be up and running long before their less willing to adapt competitors.

FFS people. If you want to be antisocial in a social game, that's fine - but failing to use the available tools to solve your problem is not CCP's problem to fix.

Why invariably is the gankers answer to players who want to fly solo a hauler in hi-sec - that no, sorry you shouldn't play solo?

How many times does one have to repeat that 1) there are quite a few players in Eve that play solo and enjoy playing solo 2) that Eve should allow for all types of play in the sandbox (it's a big universe) - not just group play and not just game mechanics that cater to gankers who like to prey upon defenseless easy victims?

ps: By the way I have played Eve both in groups and solo. I like both. Sue me.
Masao Kurata
Perkone
Caldari State
#1003 - 2014-11-13 21:09:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Masao Kurata
Bertucio wrote:

35 destroyers if you tank it properly. And if you're flying solo. If you're caught at all with your 10 second warps. If the fc can even get 35 gankers. Who by the way have to all have perfect skills for this calculation.

And if nobody makes any mistakes. And if there is no interference reducing the effective firepower of the fleet. And if you ignore the huge red circle of death on your star map from the activity of such a large, well trained gank fleet.
Jean Luc Lemmont
Carebears on Fire
#1004 - 2014-11-13 21:17:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Jean Luc Lemmont
Bertucio wrote:

Why invariably is the gankers answer to players who want to fly solo a hauler in hi-sec - that no, sorry you shouldn't play solo?

How many times does one have to repeat that 1) there are quite a few players in Eve that play solo and enjoy playing solo 2) that Eve should allow for all types of play in the sandbox (it's a big universe) - not just group play and not just game mechanics that cater to gankers who like to prey upon defenseless easy victims?

Do you know what a single suicide ganker can kill all by himself with no help at all? Not much. One catalyst versus a freighter - even a crappily tanked one? Yeah, that's never gonna happen - so the actuality of it is that, in a strictly solo environment, the ganker has a significant disadvantage.

The issue is, of course, that a group, even a disorganized one, will always be more effective at a given task in Eve than a solo person.

PvP? Yep, the group wins, unless they're just utterly hopeless, or it's some weird scenario (stealth bomber versus a group of noob ships comes to mind for some reason).
PvE? In general, yes, though the way most PvE payouts are done limits the size of the group, effectively.
Mining? Definitely - any group is better than a solo player in terms of total yield.
Hauling? Sure - a group can provide scouts and webbing support.

You can absolutely play solo - by all means, feel free. But you don't get to be more effective than a group of people unless you also have a group of people.

This thread has degenerated to the point it's become like two bald men fighting over a comb. -- Doc Fury

Bertucio
Chandra Labs
#1005 - 2014-11-13 21:20:52 UTC
Masao Kurata wrote:
Bertucio wrote:

35 destroyers if you tank it properly. And if you're flying solo. If you're caught at all with your 10 second warps. If the fc can even get 35 gankers. Who by the way have to all have perfect skills for this calculation.

Counting the wrecks I saw in Uedama, I suspect the number of destroyers needed is actually smaller. But even assuming what you say is the bare minimum - 35 destroyers, which being wildly conservative here - cost 10mil a piece - that's 350mil to take down a 1bill+ freighter that you probably have already scanned and know exactly what's in the cargo hold - and would attack unless you knew the loot would be worth it.

A freighter by the way that is flying solo in hi-sec, that is pretty much defenseless other than CONCORD which you as gankers have well timed, so you know exactly what you need to take the freighter down and loot it.

So for the cost of 350mil - you get at least a 200% profit and probably even more. You also destroy 300% what you spent in hull damage to your victim. So not only do you make a huge profit from your ganking, you also cause a lot more ISK damage to your victim - who like most freighter pilots in hi-sec fly solo - because they assume they are safe with CONCORD - or they assume 35 cheap dessies shouldn't be able to take down a freighter in hi-sec because hi-sec is suppose to be relatively safe (unless someone has wardecc'd you).

Currently I think the RISK vs REWARD for gankers in hi-sec (not low-sec or nul-sec) is imbalanced. Gankers should have to put out more and sacrifice more if they want to gank in hi-sec. If gankers want to take down a 1bil freighter in hi-sec, then they ought to be willing to sacrifice 1bil in ship hulls to do it. After all - that's exactly what their victims are losing and have been losing like no tomorrow in Uedama and elsewhere.

Jean Luc Lemmont
Carebears on Fire
#1006 - 2014-11-13 21:24:28 UTC
Bertucio wrote:
Masao Kurata wrote:
Bertucio wrote:

Counting the wrecks I saw in Uedama, I suspect the number of destroyers needed is actually smaller. But even assuming what you say is the bare minimum - 35 destroyers, which being wildly conservative here - cost 10mil a piece - that's 350mil to take down a 1bill+ freighter that you probably have already scanned and know exactly what's in the cargo hold - and would attack unless you knew the loot would be worth it.

A freighter by the way that is flying solo in hi-sec, that is pretty much defenseless other than CONCORD which you as gankers have well timed, so you know exactly what you need to take the freighter down and loot it.

So for the cost of 350mil - you get at least a 200% profit and probably even more. You also destroy 300% what you spent in hull damage to your victim. So not only do you make a huge profit from your ganking, you also cause a lot more ISK damage to your victim - who like most freighter pilots in hi-sec fly solo - because they assume they are safe with CONCORD - or they assume 35 cheap dessies shouldn't be able to take down a freighter in hi-sec because hi-sec is suppose to be relatively safe (unless someone has wardecc'd you).

Currently I think the RISK vs REWARD for gankers in hi-sec (not low-sec or nul-sec) is imbalanced. Gankers should have to put out more and sacrifice more if they want to gank in hi-sec. If gankers want to take down a 1bil freighter in hi-sec, then they ought to be willing to sacrifice 1bil in ship hulls to do it. After all - that's exactly what their victims are losing and have been losing like no tomorrow in Uedama and elsewhere.

And with a 100,000 ISK frigate, you could have webbed that freighter into warp before the gankers even got a target lock. You can beat a group of 35 well organized people with 2 slightly organized people and the cost of a cheaply fit frigate.

Bertucio
Chandra Labs
#1007 - 2014-11-13 21:24:40 UTC
Jean Luc Lemmont wrote:
Bertucio wrote:

Do you know what a single suicide ganker can kill all by himself with no help at all? Not much. One catalyst versus a freighter - even a crappily tanked one? Yeah, that's never gonna happen - so the actuality of it is that, in a strictly solo environment, the ganker has a significant disadvantage.

The issue is, of course, that a group, even a disorganized one, will always be more effective at a given task in Eve than a solo person.

PvP? Yep, the group wins, unless they're just utterly hopeless, or it's some weird scenario (stealth bomber versus a group of noob ships comes to mind for some reason).
PvE? In general, yes, though the way most PvE payouts are done limits the size of the group, effectively.
Mining? Definitely - any group is better than a solo player in terms of total yield.
Hauling? Sure - a group can provide scouts and webbing support.

You can absolutely play solo - by all means, feel free. But you don't get to be more effective than a group of people unless you also have a group of people.

Sure - I agree with you on all your points. But my point is - is that right now in EVE - I suspect that a good number of players not only fly their ships solo in hi-sec (and mission solo) but also haul their stuff solo in hi-sec. And that you are limiting their game play if you insist that they should fly this new Bowhead ship in a fleet. Unless that really is the design intent of the ship - that it shouldn't be flown solo - but only in groups. Then fine. I think that will limit the utility of the ship for many Eve players - since you're forcing solo players in hi-sec to play in a way that they currently don't play in this sandbox called Eve.

Is it just me, or is there some kind of prejudice against solo players? What the heck is wrong with wanting to be a solo industrialist in Eve? Or having an alt that is a solo Industrialist? Am I the only one that has an alt that does this? I doubt it very much tbh.

Bertucio
Chandra Labs
#1008 - 2014-11-13 21:26:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Bertucio
Jean Luc Lemmont wrote:
Bertucio wrote:
Masao Kurata wrote:
Bertucio wrote:

And with a 100,000 ISK frigate, you could have webbed that freighter into warp before the gankers even got a target lock. You can beat a group of 35 well organized people with 2 slightly organized people and the cost of a cheaply fit frigate.

Sure you can. But so you're saying that anyone who flies a Bowhead now should fly with someone else? Is that really the design intent of the ship? That you MUST fly with someone else?

Frankly, I don't think this is what many players had in mind when they asked for the tugboat... i.e. every time they took it out they have to have to "web" it out of warp just to avoid a bunch of gankers in Uedama who want to force PvP play upon hi-sec players.
Jean Luc Lemmont
Carebears on Fire
#1009 - 2014-11-13 21:28:17 UTC
Bertucio wrote:

Is it just me, or is there some kind of prejudice against solo players? What the heck is wrong with wanting to be a solo industrialist in Eve? Or having an alt that is a solo Industrialist? Am I the only one that has an alt that does this? I doubt it very much tbh.

There's nothing wrong with it. But your expectations are out of whack if you reasonably expect your solo toon to be more effective at competing than a group.

Bertucio
Chandra Labs
#1010 - 2014-11-13 21:30:49 UTC
Jean Luc Lemmont wrote:
Bertucio wrote:

There's nothing wrong with it. But your expectations are out of whack if you reasonably expect your solo toon to be more effective at competing than a group.

That's your wording - my expectations are out of whack. I think a lot of players expectations in hi-sec is to be able to fly their haulers solo. Including their freighters. At least that is the reality right now. If you're arguing that reality should change and everyone should now fly with some partner - well, I doubt that is going to be happening anytime soon. People will simply avoid the Bowhead - at least those who fly in hi-sec for safety, and will go back to single ship transport. Less risk - less susceptibility to gankers.

It's to bad - because I think a lot of players in hi-sec were looking forward to the tugboat. But what is out of whack is this expectation that a lot of Eve players will team up to fly it.

Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1011 - 2014-11-13 21:37:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Some Rando
Bertucio wrote:
1) there are quite a few players in Eve that play solo and enjoy playing solo

I play "solo" most of the time and I have never been ganked in a hauler (Orca on down) in high-sec because it is laughably easy to avoid it (and I don't fly a freighter because I a) don't need it and never will, and b) don't bother with a second account): pick the right ship for the job, tank it and fit it as needed (don't forget about "align" and "cloak" tanks!), stay at the keyboard, warp to 0, bring friends as needed, don't haul overly expensive stuff in it, etc... I play the game, I don't put things on autopilot and expect it to get there in one piece because this is a game all about player interaction, and anyone can ruin your day at a moment's notice if you don't actually play.

Bertucio wrote:
If you're arguing that reality should change and everyone should now fly with some partner - well, I doubt that is going to be happening anytime soon. People will simply avoid the Bowhead - at least those who fly in hi-sec for safety, and will go back to single ship transport. Less risk - less susceptibility to gankers.

As always, it is up to the player to make choices on how and when something is to be flown. That's the great thing about this game, even flying "solo" you can and will affect other's actions (in this case, to gank something else). The entitlement here from people who want everything delivered to them on a silver platter with no effort or having some expectation that other people cannot affect them in a free-market PvP game is just disgusting.

This thing has midslots and oodles of fitting options, plus plenty of inherent tank. I don't see any problems with it, although I'll bow to the CSM rep here and agree that it could use a bit more tank, but it's pretty solid as-is. Can it MWD align?

CCP has no sense of humour.

Yume Ookami
Cognitive Disonance
#1012 - 2014-11-13 21:50:31 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
Someone asked why I think the Bowhead could stand a shade more EHP

shield/armor/hull

10750/6900/46000 orca

21000 / 11000 / 39500 bowhead

90000/30000/250000 rorqual

14000/40000/110000 obelisk

It depends on how you look at it and where you think it fits in the spectrum of ships, I suppose. If it fits capital rigs then I would assume that it will have the structure to hold them and then the hull needs some thickening. If it is a distant cousin of the Orca then I would say the cap rigs are inappropriate.

Some of you have compared it to the Rorqual (poor things really need to be looked to) but it is no where near it in tank.

So I ask, who is the Bowhead closest to and how does its tank/structure compare with theirs? If it is flying as a capital level freighter then it should be tanked accordingly. If it is not then change the rigs and we can discuss it vis a vis the Orca

m

it was stated at one point that the bowhead was a capital class ship, so i agree that it should be tanked like one.
the problems we come to are:

1. if it is a freighter then i agree that the hp S/A/H should be treated as such.
2. if it is a capital then it should be able to be tanked as such.
3. EHP and raw hp are 2 different things and people should stop talking about ehp ( oh i have this much EHP) but you shoot me in one of the low resists and your EHP does not mean squat.
Bertucio
Chandra Labs
#1013 - 2014-11-13 21:51:56 UTC
Some Rando wrote:

As always, it is up to the player to make choices on how and when something is to be flown. That's the great thing about this game, even flying "solo" you can and will affect other's actions (in this case, to gank something else). The entitlement here from people who want everything delivered to them on a silver platter with no effort or having some expectation that other people cannot affect them in a free-market PvP game is just disgusting.

This thing has midslots and oodles of fitting options, plus plenty of inherent tank. I don't see any problems with it, although I'll bow to the CSM rep here and agree that it could use a bit more tank, but it's pretty solid as-is. Can it MWD align?

Actually it's the gankers here that have been arguing for "entitlement" i.e. their entitlement to use a bunch of cheap dessies to take down a Billion+ freighter and its goods. You don't see any problems but many of us do i.e. it's pretty straightforward these days to take down a freighter in Uedama by a group of cheap dessies. In fact, there's not much of a challenge taking down a defenseless ship in hi-sec, and I often wonder if the griefers have anything more challenging in life to do. But hey, not my cup of tea.

On a side note: you can't lift yourself up with your own bootstraps if you don't have any boots.

Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1014 - 2014-11-13 22:05:17 UTC
Bertucio wrote:
Actually it's the gankers here that have been arguing for "entitlement" i.e. their entitlement to use a bunch of cheap dessies to take down a Billion+ freighter and its goods.

So basically what you're saying is that if I fit a 1 billion ISK module to my frigate it should be unkillable without someone bringing 1 billion ISK worth of other ships? That's ridiculous, and why cost should never be a major balancing factor. EVE isn't a pay-to-win game.

Bertucio
Chandra Labs
#1015 - 2014-11-13 22:10:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Bertucio
Some Rando wrote:
Bertucio wrote:
Actually it's the gankers here that have been arguing for "entitlement" i.e. their entitlement to use a bunch of cheap dessies to take down a Billion+ freighter and its goods.

So basically what you're saying is that if I fit a 1 billion ISK module to my frigate it should be unkillable without someone bringing 1 billion ISK worth of other ships? That's ridiculous, and why cost should never be a major balancing factor. EVE isn't a pay-to-win game.

Yeah - that's what I'm saying. If you spend a billion ISK on a freighter, than something around a billion ISK should be spent to take it down in hi-sec. That gankers shouldn't be entitled to take it down unless they also risk what the freighter pilot is risking - a billion ISK.

I don't think it's ridiculous. I think it's reasonable. RISK vs REWARD. Right now gankers want to risk a lot less than the Industrialist flying a freighter. The Industrialist has already put much effort and TIME to build his freighter and use it for shipping. While how much time and ISK does it take for 20 so cheap dessy gankers to take that ship down?

There is no design equivalency right now. The gankers feel they are entitled because of some kind of motto that in EVE, everyone should be forced to group up or PvP - just so entitled gankers have nothing to whine about.
Masao Kurata
Perkone
Caldari State
#1016 - 2014-11-13 22:11:32 UTC
Bertucio wrote:
Masao Kurata wrote:
Bertucio wrote:

Counting the wrecks I saw in Uedama

...is irrelevant. We're talking about a tanked bowhead, not a freighter. As to the rest of your points, no you do not have the right to play solo without other players interfering in your gameplay. If you want a single player space trading simulator, there are a number out there, EVE isn't one. Might is right here.
Bertucio
Chandra Labs
#1017 - 2014-11-13 22:16:38 UTC
Masao Kurata wrote:
Bertucio wrote:
Masao Kurata wrote:
Bertucio wrote:

Counting the wrecks I saw in Uedama

...is irrelevant. We're talking about a tanked bowhead, not a freighter. As to the rest of your points, no you do not have the right to play solo without other players interfering in your gameplay. If you want a single player space trading simulator, there are a number out there, EVE isn't one. Might is right here.

Irrelevant? Bowhead is suppose to be some kind freighter level ship. It is going to be a capital ship at the least. Perhaps not an expensive freighter but nevertheless somewhere between 700mil to 1bil is my guess. Maybe Orca level. How you find that irrelevant is beyond my ken.

Hey - It's not just me who flies solo and does solo stuff in Eve. If you think I'm some kind of anomaly player in hi-sec i.e. there are not a lot of solo missioners or people who haul their stuff solo or would want to use a ship hauling tugboat solo - then tbh, you're better off believing in Never Never Land - because there are lots of Eve players who do play solo and enjoy it.

Masao Kurata
Perkone
Caldari State
#1018 - 2014-11-13 22:17:37 UTC
It's irrelevant because the bowheap's peak EHP is much higher than any T1 freighter.
Bertucio
Chandra Labs
#1019 - 2014-11-13 22:19:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Bertucio
Masao Kurata wrote:
It's irrelevant because the bowheap's peak EHP is much higher than any T1 freighter.

.... Irrelevant, since you know as well as I that the current cheap dessy paradigm in Uedama will still be able to take the Bow down - risking a lot less ISK than it's actually worth.
Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1020 - 2014-11-13 22:20:45 UTC
Bertucio wrote:
Yeah - that's what I'm saying. If you spend a billion ISK on a freighter, than something around a billion ISK should be spent to take it down in hi-sec. That gankers shouldn't be entitled to take it down unless they also risk what the freighter pilot is risking - a billion ISK.

Let me get this straight, if I undock a shuttle with 30 PLEX in it, the amount of ships needed to kill my shuttle should be equivalent to the current value of 30 PLEX? Is that your reasoning?