These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rhea] Introducing the Bowhead

First post First post First post
Author
Anonymous Forumposter
State War Academy
Caldari State
#901 - 2014-11-13 08:12:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Anonymous Forumposter
baltec1 wrote:
Anonymous Forumposter wrote:
I'm grateful to have the troll stench gone from the thread, but going from 63 pages down to 45 means 29% of the entire contents of this thread after only a few days was entirely useless. That's more than just a little depressing.

Welcome to every single topic on anything to do with high sec. All of the useful feedback on this new ship has been given, now that the high sec grr ganking crowd has found the thead nothing useful will come from this thread anymore.

Good job bringing the stench right back to the thread. The gankers and gank supporters are the most detrimental to quality discussion. Regardless of the validity of their claims, Their attitudes and methods deter constructive discussion.

This is the last I'm going to comment on it as I genuinely don't want this to all devolve right back into a trollfest, I encourage you to feel the same.

P.S. Nice edit from "grr ganking" to a poorly spelled "Entitlement".
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#902 - 2014-11-13 08:13:08 UTC
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode wrote:
Closed for a bit of fall cleaning.

My thermometer would like to have a word with you...
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#903 - 2014-11-13 08:17:07 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
I'm grateful to have the troll stench gone from the thread, but going from 63 pages down to 45 means 29% of the entire contents of this thread after only a few days was entirely useless. That's more than just a little depressing.

Welcome to every single topic on anything to do with high sec. All of the useful feedback on this new ship has been given, now that the high sec grr ganking crowd has found the thead nothing useful will come from this thread anymore.

Good job bringing the stench right back to the thread. The gankers and gank supporters are the most detrimental to quality discussion. Regardless of the validity of their claims, Their attitudes and methods deter constructive discussion.

This is the last I'm going to comment on it as I genuinely don't want this to all devolve right back into a trollfest, I encourage you to feel the same.

Doesnt matter what either of us do. I would love to have just one new ship thread in which I could actually have a real debate on how we can use the ship and explore all of its possibilities without people diving in and demanding daft things like being able to transport tens of billions in perfect safety.
Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#904 - 2014-11-13 08:17:20 UTC

I read what was there, you missed very little. As always there is an offsite record http://eve-search.com/thread/384682-1 but for the most part, nah.

Back to the ship. So far I have seen some good ideas and a fair number of bad ideas. No, it does not need a jump drive. Yes I think it could stand a BIT more tank.

For the eft folks looking for the max ehp could you also run the numbers with it having full boosting? IF incursion folks did an armada then that would be a possibility.

I am curious about insurance. If it is T1 will you be able to insure it for almost full value (excluding cargo)?

Drone bay, yeah I could see that but like the lack of weapons . . . this is not made to fight directly. So I understand the commitment to the concept.

For the gankers I am curious . . . when Taloses are used is it alpha or a dependence on the 05 or 0.6 slow response of concord to get a couple of volleys in?

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Fruckton Haulalot
EREBOR Logistics
Pillars of Liberty
#905 - 2014-11-13 08:19:59 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Fruckton Haulalot wrote:
Mike Azariah wrote:
Marlona Sky wrote:

Why do they need more than one bs? I don't run incursions so I'm not up on their current meta.

There are different ships in an HQ incursion fleet. Depending on whom you fly with there will be snipers, dps, logi, and the drone bunny. Yes some of them will be pirate hulls (nightmare, mach, vindi) but you can also see the occasional hyperion, rokh, TFI. etc. Unless you are talking multiboxers you are very apt to see a mix of ships and styles and if you wan the best chance of being called up you will have an assortment handy so you can step into any role.

So you bring a couple of BS's and maybe a cruiser or two.

This is why I asked for this ship and why I am trying to follow this thread (aside from the debate societies additions)

So . . . the basic stats. Is it big enough? Does it fullfill the stated role? Is the tank sufficient?

I am NOT asking if it shoudl have jumpdrive, doomsday, hammer4 fittings.

Just is it balanced enough that it is not 'safe against all' nor 'a paper bag with a screen door'.

m

the three areas of point here... is it big enouhg... being able to carrier 2 or 3 battleships is so very much big enough because at present you can not carry that many full fit without jumping through alot of hoops and double wrapping...

Does it fill the role... yes it can but only if the last part is tank sufficient... currently no... the tank sufficient to protect the 10 billion to 15 billion worth of cargo ... is wrather pathetic.

A well fit tanked orca carrying far less priced cargo can tank with skills, mods, rigs a little over 450,000 ehp and still be very usefull in its roles....

The Bowhead being bigger and designed to carry more expensive cargo should in enturn be tanker then the orca....

Shoot even the worst of the normal frieghters are tanker than the BOWhead at this point.

We are hitting 600k ehp in this thing. It is also not designed to have a tank for a 10 billion isk cargo and never will be, you fit that at your own risk.

as stated by devs and the CSM as well as most of the folks who have been working on this thing from the start... it was idea driven for incursioners... and highsec players....

the constant push for gankers/pvpers to be able to kill it in high sec is just gankers/pirates and griefers wanting to make sure they can still get the tears and or pinyatas they enjoy doing now..

This ship again as stated by the devs and the CSMs and many others was and is being brought to light to help highsec and incursioners get around and enjoy their aspect to the game...

You want more PVP... or meat to grind in your low/null grief areas fine push for it in some other thread.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#906 - 2014-11-13 08:28:01 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:

I read what was there, you missed very little. As always there is an offsite record http://eve-search.com/thread/384682-1 but for the most part, nah.

Back to the ship. So far I have seen some good ideas and a fair number of bad ideas. No, it does not need a jump drive. Yes I think it could stand a BIT more tank.

For the eft folks looking for the max ehp could you also run the numbers with it having full boosting? IF incursion folks did an armada then that would be a possibility.

I am curious about insurance. If it is T1 will you be able to insure it for almost full value (excluding cargo)?

Drone bay, yeah I could see that but like the lack of weapons . . . this is not made to fight directly. So I understand the commitment to the concept.

For the gankers I am curious . . . when Taloses are used is it alpha or a dependence on the 05 or 0.6 slow response of concord to get a couple of volleys in?

m

for ganking you never try to alpha something this big. Talos use DPS to take down targets before concord can respond just like cats. As far as tank goes you can hit 600k ehp without boosts.
Anonymous Forumposter
State War Academy
Caldari State
#907 - 2014-11-13 08:32:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Anonymous Forumposter
Mike Azariah wrote:
I read what was there, you missed very little.

I'm woefully aware, I've been studiously trudging through it all to stay current.

Mike Azariah wrote:

I agree it needs more tank to support it's likely and best suited usage case. I also feel very strongly that while providing a solution for the very real demand for a way to haul 2 faction BS's + 2 Logi's with a relative sense of safety given the greed inducing nature of the cargo there DOES need to be opportunity to overstuff. Regretfully, given the scale of value on the incursion runners cargo vs the shear amount of ships you can stuff in it of a smaller scale and the impact on force projection does present a very difficult balance situation.

I think what they did for the DST's was a creative solution as opposed to simply slapping on more HP. They addressed the potential for conflict with mechanics that could make that anticipated conflict interesting.

CCP, PLEASE! make this ship an interesting chess piece on the game board. GIve it a MJD, or a way to short term hunker down and endure a gank. Give it someting like the marauders, or a rorqual, or give it an overheat bonus, or give it a small fuel bay and a shield simiilar to a P.O.S.. SOMETHING that's more interesting than achieve X amount of DPS and the bowhead loses.

By simply defining a max HP for the ship you make it very easy to spreadsheet the outcome. By providing more MEANINGFUL variables to the situation you increase the quality of the conflict by making the outcome less predictable. As I recall, with the jump fatigue changes, CCP is (or was) on board with developing content they can't fully predict the outcome of because if CCP can fully predict it, so can everyone else. I would love to see that logic come to this ship as well.

Mike Azariah wrote:

m

All good questions M!
Fruckton Haulalot
EREBOR Logistics
Pillars of Liberty
#908 - 2014-11-13 08:36:23 UTC
If the Bowhead is purely non combat.. purely designed to just move fitted battleships and the like around then i completely see no reason to add a drone bay...

an ammo bay would be nice... or increase the cargo up to 10k

EHP the base sheild and hull should be better than an Orca or close to a freighter or Rorqual...

high slots... three high slots that could run command monduels would be nice.... no bonuses.. just able to use three at a time for PVE mission runners to tinker and learn command ship or command fleet tactics would be an interesting avenue for this boat...

should it be in any way offensive combat capabile... i say no... it should simply be the high sec mini carrier that adds a safer means for highsec folks to move their fleets around and enjoy the game.
Anonymous Forumposter
State War Academy
Caldari State
#909 - 2014-11-13 08:45:17 UTC
Fruckton Haulalot wrote:
If the Bowhead is purely non combat.. purely designed to just move fitted battleships and the like around then i completely see no reason to add a drone bay...

I can get behind this logic.

Fruckton Haulalot wrote:

I agree it would be nice, but it feels incredibly unnecessary given you can store ammo inside of ships inside the SMA. If you need more space for ammo, put a small industrial in your hold with ammo in it and VOILA!

Fruckton Haulalot wrote:
high slots... three high slots that could run command modules would be nice.... no bonuses.. just able to use three at a time for PVE mission runners to tinker and learn command ship or command fleet tactics would be an interesting avenue for this boat...

People that can fly this should already be able to fly an orca which is better suited for this purpose anyways. While it would be fun to have on it, I don't feel it serves a purpose for the goals of this ship nor do i feel the goals for this ship would benefit from a shift in this direction.

Fruckton Haulalot wrote:
should it be in any way offensive combat capable... i say no... it should simply be the high sec mini carrier that adds a safer means for highsec folks to move their fleets around and enjoy the game.

It would be fun to have it more like a neutered high sec carier than a niche freighter, I don't have high hopes that CCP would be that awesome to us :p
Fruckton Haulalot
EREBOR Logistics
Pillars of Liberty
#910 - 2014-11-13 08:45:53 UTC
I have to say i also agree with the fella saying give this ship something new or niche.... to bring something new to the chess board..... somthing that would both give it a little more protection and also make it more than a math equation for gankers to figre out how to kill it before concord shows up...

that idea there that it could use POS fuel or somthing to boost its sheild extremely high for as long as it has fuel to burn.. or somthing....
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#911 - 2014-11-13 08:49:48 UTC
Fruckton Haulalot wrote:

EHP the base sheild and hull should be better than an Orca or close to a freighter or Rorqual...

high slots... three high slots that could run command monduels would be nice.... no bonuses.. just able to use three at a time for PVE mission runners to tinker and learn command ship or command fleet tactics would be an interesting avenue for this boat...

should it be in any way offensive combat capabile... i say no... it should simply be the high sec mini carrier that adds a safer means for highsec folks to move their fleets around and enjoy the game.

No high slots, you add them then we will fit a cloak and use them as mobile depots for fleet actions.

Tank is perfectly fine, it is ment to cover transporting three t2 fitted t1 battleships not multi billion fitted pirate battleships.
Fruckton Haulalot
EREBOR Logistics
Pillars of Liberty
#912 - 2014-11-13 08:51:15 UTC
not to mention have this boat with an a seige mode type ability.... that uses "fuel" would also teach newer/high sec folk on how to manage and use capital tactics in highsec.... also would drive the economy for fuel with the endies as well....

further this would also give the bowhead a bit more protection and a "cool" factor to it.

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#913 - 2014-11-13 08:52:32 UTC
Fruckton Haulalot wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Fruckton Haulalot wrote:
Mike Azariah wrote:
Marlona Sky wrote:

Why do they need more than one bs? I don't run incursions so I'm not up on their current meta.

There are different ships in an HQ incursion fleet. Depending on whom you fly with there will be snipers, dps, logi, and the drone bunny. Yes some of them will be pirate hulls (nightmare, mach, vindi) but you can also see the occasional hyperion, rokh, TFI. etc. Unless you are talking multiboxers you are very apt to see a mix of ships and styles and if you wan the best chance of being called up you will have an assortment handy so you can step into any role.

So you bring a couple of BS's and maybe a cruiser or two.

This is why I asked for this ship and why I am trying to follow this thread (aside from the debate societies additions)

So . . . the basic stats. Is it big enough? Does it fullfill the stated role? Is the tank sufficient?

I am NOT asking if it shoudl have jumpdrive, doomsday, hammer4 fittings.

Just is it balanced enough that it is not 'safe against all' nor 'a paper bag with a screen door'.

m

the three areas of point here... is it big enouhg... being able to carrier 2 or 3 battleships is so very much big enough because at present you can not carry that many full fit without jumping through alot of hoops and double wrapping...

Does it fill the role... yes it can but only if the last part is tank sufficient... currently no... the tank sufficient to protect the 10 billion to 15 billion worth of cargo ... is wrather pathetic.

A well fit tanked orca carrying far less priced cargo can tank with skills, mods, rigs a little over 450,000 ehp and still be very usefull in its roles....

The Bowhead being bigger and designed to carry more expensive cargo should in enturn be tanker then the orca....

Shoot even the worst of the normal frieghters are tanker than the BOWhead at this point.

We are hitting 600k ehp in this thing. It is also not designed to have a tank for a 10 billion isk cargo and never will be, you fit that at your own risk.

as stated by devs and the CSM as well as most of the folks who have been working on this thing from the start... it was idea driven for incursioners... and highsec players....

the constant push for gankers/pvpers to be able to kill it in high sec is just gankers/pirates and griefers wanting to make sure they can still get the tears and or pinyatas they enjoy doing now..

This ship again as stated by the devs and the CSMs and many others was and is being brought to light to help highsec and incursioners get around and enjoy their aspect to the game...

You want more PVP... or meat to grind in your low/null grief areas fine push for it in some other thread.

And incursioners do not need to move 10 bil isk on it. If they have brains. No 3 BS hulls with rigs will cost ahtt uch. You move your damm super expensive modules in INTERCEPTOR or Blockade runner (that are both very fast and take 6-7 min to go fro mone staging to the next one)

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Masao Kurata
Perkone
Caldari State
#914 - 2014-11-13 09:07:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Masao Kurata
Mike Azariah wrote:

Okay, I didn't include boosts because I know that people would dismiss something that required not being solo (such as webbing it) but I'll do the quite painful maths (ha, eft, if only... well you could use a rifter or something then multiply by the factors of raw hull, armor, shield hp... y'know I'll do that this time, why not? It should help if you doubt my actual maths) again with fleet boosts, with the same fit I posted earlier (a bit under 300M in rigs, about 130M in a couple of deadspace hardeners, two 5% implants):

One command ship with bonused shield link and unbonused armor (all V with siege or navy mind link), no heat: 607k
Same but with heat: 700k

A second command ship for the bonus to armor links adds 5k.

This is absolutely insane and beyond all reason to gank. I am not sure there has ever been a suicide gank of a ship with 700k EHP in highsec. If you seriously think the base HP needs anything but nerfs from the current position, you have no concept of the reality of suicide ganking, speaking of which...

Quote:

I'm glad you can admit that you don't actually know what you're talking about. Each talos gets 7 volleys in a fully prepared 0.5 system, 5 volleys in an unprepared 0.5 system, 5 in a prepared 0.6 system or 4 in an unprepared 0.6 system.

EDIT 6 or 7, not 7. It's a bit luck based.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#915 - 2014-11-13 09:11:31 UTC
Fruckton Haulalot wrote:
not to mention have this boat with an a seige mode type ability.... that uses "fuel" would also teach newer/high sec folk on how to manage and use capital tactics in highsec.... also would drive the economy for fuel with the endies as well....

further this would also give the bowhead a bit more protection and a "cool" factor to it.

It simply doesn't need more tank. 3x t2 fitted battleships works out as roughly a billion isk. To gank a well fitted bowhead with talos would cost a good deal more than 1 bil.
Warr Akini
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#916 - 2014-11-13 09:15:20 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:

m

If it were alpha, I would be stockpiling our people with Tornadoes.
Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#917 - 2014-11-13 09:20:23 UTC
Masao Kurata wrote:

I'm glad you can admit that you don't actually know what you're talking about. Each talos gets 7 volleys in a fully prepared 0.5 system, 5 volleys in an unprepared 0.5 system, 5 in a prepared 0.6 system or 4 in an unprepared 0.6 system.

I try to learn and to do that I have to be willing to admit where I do and do not know things. Only time I was in a gank fleet it was to NOT shoot in hopes their calculations would be off enough that they would all die without target destruction.

700k+ eh? wow

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Warr Akini
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#918 - 2014-11-13 09:25:37 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
Only time I was in a gank fleet it was to NOT shoot in hopes their calculations would be off enough that they would all die without target destruction.

And here I thought I might actually like you.
Anonymous Forumposter
State War Academy
Caldari State
#919 - 2014-11-13 09:49:03 UTC
Warr Akini wrote:
And here I thought I might actually like you.

You do realize you're saying that to the guy bringing you a shiney new loot pinata for christmas right?
Dave Stark
#920 - 2014-11-13 10:03:30 UTC
CCP, please don't change a thing about this ship.

I've placed a large sum of isk as a wager that you're not going to change a thing about this ship before it goes live.