These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Thera and the EVE Gate.

First post
Author
epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#41 - 2014-11-07 16:21:50 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:
Remember that the CCP name guru likes layers, multiple layers that make sense at multiple stages.

'Thera' obviously references the Thera Eruption, which destroyed Minoan civilization and brought about the rise of the Greek States. Odds are this is indeed ancient in that the Thera Eruption likely didn't happen in our time, but to ancient civilizations-- which is to say it could be referencing the seeming collapse of a coherent Sleeper empire, the collapse of Terran-centered civilization in New Eden, or even the collapse of Terran civilization depending on what happened there, and where the EVE Gate was relative to Earth.

The other layer is of course the Thera/Earth/Heart anagram. It's a small one, but it does inform the other reading.

We'll have to see what Thera looks like once we're in it. If it happens to have eight (nine? ;) ) planets, the third of which is Terran, etc, etc, then we may just happen to be looking at Sol.

We will see, my opinion is they have a MUCH bigger view on this, I think earth/terra as a destroyed discovery is interesting though lots of room for new lore, It seems that We are starting on CCP seagulls journey, I am so glad it has begun.

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

Makoto Priano
Kirkinen-Arataka Transhuman Zenith Consulting Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#42 - 2014-11-07 16:26:48 UTC
Oh, agreed, Ataraxia. I was talking about the name of the system.

I strongly suspect that we're going to get a lot of possible new systems once gate technology by players becomes a thing, and I suspect we're going to see it tie a lot with Sleepers/Thera/other shenanigans. ;) But I figure that's probably half a year out, right? Sooo...

Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries: exploring the edge of the known, advancing the state of the art. Would you like to know more?

Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#43 - 2014-11-07 17:28:42 UTC
Thera will have unique system effects. An obvious one to place there would be a hefty scan res penalty. Another would be disabling bubbles. And then it better also have a buttload of equally valuable stations. Otherwise station camps and docking games will just kill off any theory of it being a market hub for wormholers.

OTOH, if it does succeed as some large gathering place, it won't necessarily syphon off congestion from Jita, because alts. It could just become a second Jita of a sort. Let's hope CCP has figured out something about many many concurrent characters in system then.Straight

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#44 - 2014-11-07 17:40:55 UTC
Jandice Ymladris wrote:
Ama Scelesta wrote:
KuroVolt wrote:
Well actually.

The point of this topic was that Thera might lead back to our original solar system and earth...

Thera = Terra.

Or it might not. Why not go with the more likely option of Thera=Thera? The leap to Terra is only the difference of a few letters, but it's still a leap for no particular reason.

Probably because Thera is an anagram of Earth (same letters, differently ordered)

Tbh, I wonder about the new 'Wormhole' systems they announced (yes multiple, Thera just sucked most attention) They seem to differ from normal W-space with their static K-space connections and inability to build POS & have NPC stations (albeit unknown if the other new systems have stations)

it was only confirmed that thera will have stations, no pos' and no caps. they did not mention anything about the new wh;s

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Jax Kazen
Doomheim
#45 - 2014-11-07 18:14:15 UTC
I could see it becoming a second Jita in terms of population but not in terms of commerce. With random connections I see it as a staging point for day-tripping in WHs but with no Concord protection, I can't see people moving product en mass. Based on limited supply and potential increased demand as a staging area price will probably be high but supply with be a constant issue.

Obviously all just a guess - interesting effects would be if lock time got cranked up or random lock interrupts coupled with some sort of 5x warp stabilization. That would allow supply ships a chance to get to a station if they align/warp quickly or tank long enough for an interrupt. Would add a new dynamic of trying to either tank a supply ship or make it more agile/warp faster.

The site seeing aspect will be interesting but you have to figure that those locations are going to be cloaky gank magnets
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#46 - 2014-11-07 19:43:55 UTC
I hope one of the system effects disables off grid boosting. OGB would be op in such a very large system and pretty much mandatory.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Miko Jin
HELVEGEN
#47 - 2014-11-07 19:59:58 UTC
I find this all so knee jerk to add content if it comes about, The problem is that if a large enough entity camps and bubbles entrance/exits then game over.

Opening up Jove Space would be far more interesting.
KuroVolt
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2014-11-07 20:49:10 UTC
Momoyo wrote:
Thera could also be a reference to Thera as alluded to by CCP Terminus on reddit.

Quote:
Somehow I'm guessing this quote from the livescience article (http://www.livescience.com/4846-eruption-thera-changed-world.html) is the rough idea CCP_Terminus is going for here:

"Thera didn't just blow a massive hole into the island of Santorini – it set the entire ancient Mediterranean onto a different course, like a train that switched tracks to head off in a brand new direction."

For more detail (or TL;DR of the article) - the volcanic explosion of Thera lead to the end of the Minoan civilization and the rise of the Greeks in the Mediterranean.

So the founding (or existance?) of Thera is supposed to lead to the downfall of the Empires, which dovetails nicely with the whole capsuleer empires w/ stargates stuff that we're headed towards. Nice use of slightly obscure history CCP.

I forgot about that island!

very nice, this sure does make things more interesting.

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

Cyndrogen
The Greatest Corp in the Universe
#49 - 2014-11-07 21:37:06 UTC
Thera should have more ship restrictions... one day you can fly in a frigate the next day you can bring a BS etc. Change the size daily to make things more interesting.

Every day in every way I improve my skills and get better.

Previous page123