These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Can we have an option to hide the Compass?

First post
Author
Jenshae Chiroptera
#101 - 2014-11-24 10:36:14 UTC
Mharius Skjem wrote:

I actually quite like the compass, but I agree with you about the amoms.

Two days later in a busy forum. You sir are what keeps good thread and posts alive o7

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Presidente Gallente
Best Kept Dunked
#102 - 2014-11-24 11:17:28 UTC
First virtual world problems.
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#103 - 2014-11-24 11:48:36 UTC
Adrie Atticus wrote:
What if the experience is something which is not embraced by users due to the design being flawed (see Windows 8)?
Too late, you already paid for your suscription and you can't go back to EVE2003.

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Ilaister
Binary Aesthetics
#104 - 2014-11-24 20:27:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Ilaister
OP had it right. Compass is about spatial awareness, not your ablility to 'zero in' on some dude at a particular anom, or sig. It's super useful, especially in W space.

Am I on the outside of the system? Inner? Is the system scoured clean of anything I would find interesting (customised as I can switch on/off what I do, or do not find interesting) and therefore occupied? Or is it a cornucopia of unexploited content?

Regardless of my position in-system, are all the interesting features at the outer edges of the system, or inner? At one particular planet my d-scan tells me also has several bubbles nearby, or hostile ships, or combat probes? Are they near the POS I have bookmarked already? Where are they in relation to my corpie, who's sat 20AU away and can relate information back to me far more clearly now he has both a non-relativistic direction to refer to based on his compass and mine?

Do I need to warp out soon? Perhaps I should start pointing my hull at the same direction everything in system that's warpable actually is. Oh, you used to use an overview for that so you can warp to POCOS at zero and get podded when you land on it and get decloaked? Welcome to the era in which visual information is a higher priority for devs improving a game at which detractors often point to 'excel/DB in space' than what shows up in a table on the top-right of your screen in text format.

Compass gives you a gentle nudge to solving or avoiding all these problems at a glance. Actually not even -out the corner of your eye. No 'Map / Toggle to Solar System not Galactic / Zoom In / Orient camera / Panic as new entity hits your grid on overview and all you can see is black space and white circles on your solar system map' etc etc.

The whinging from Eve players who want it 'as it was before' and blame devs for their inability to see the wood for the trees is really becoming tiresome. Especially when they throw in their half-baked pseud I-know-better-than-the-paid-and-qualified-employees code nonsense.

Too many anoms? Turn those off or try jumping out the system that's upgraded past the point you never actually need to jump out because all you do in game is AKFtar at forsaken hubs. Too many sigs? If you're not interested in sigs, switch them off. Too many mission markers? Stop missioning, you are bad at the game.

How a 10 pixel wide circle of coloured dots is a detriment to half a dozen users' experience or is therefore worthy of dev time to switch off, I will never know.

ADAPT. Or pls stop whining. Either would be nice.