These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Humble request to revisit warp speeds for BS / BC's

First post First post
Author
Maraner
The Executioners
#141 - 2014-10-23 20:58:15 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Maraner wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
Maraner wrote:

Feel free to go off and start a thread of the other problems with BS.

THIS thread is about trying to roll back an unwanted nerf

And if/when I have the time to actually do a reasonable job of crunching sufficient numbers of possible fits, in possible outcomes for tweaks to these ships, which are in a usable spot, but not liked by several styles of player, I will. This thread is about doing things that break several intended mechanisms for game balance as proposed, and which does not address the issues which underpin the problems you have with them directly, i.e. that you think it is required to run slaves to be effective, and/or that you refuse to fit warp speed mods and then depot-ditch them when you are ready to engage, or shuffle them into a carrier/orca/rorqual/station/pos/nestor etc.

It is required. Apparently other BS can go at 3.0 already. Did you know that? Or are they unbalanced as well. Baltec there can make a dred keep up with a cruiser fleet and you are attacking me for wanting a lift of the AU to enable BS to keep up with BC gangs and other sub cap types.

Machariels. Machariels are pirate battlships, which have no where near the raw DPS or WTF webs of a vindicator, cannot fit a full rack of t2 long range guns and an MWD without mods or implants for PG, have a lack luster drone bay for a pirate BS and also cost substantially more than t1 hulls, most of the difference is not insurable. They have their trade offs. No uber NOS like a bhaal. No 150% bonus to damage like a NM, no WTF sentries or shield resist bonus like a Rattler. No uber range scrams like a bhargest. Its big thing is speed and agility, and it does it well.

And before you bring up the nestor, please find me a fit that does something well other than incursion logi or mobile refitting service.

Umm no. My mach can fit a full rack of t2 guns without fitting mods, plus a nice neut and a functional tank. (do you fly these btw?).

To get the Vindy to warp at the same speed of the mach would require a substanial loss of rigs, low slots or slave clone.

the base level is too low.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#142 - 2014-10-23 21:01:01 UTC
Maraner wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
Maraner wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
Maraner wrote:

Feel free to go off and start a thread of the other problems with BS.

THIS thread is about trying to roll back an unwanted nerf

And if/when I have the time to actually do a reasonable job of crunching sufficient numbers of possible fits, in possible outcomes for tweaks to these ships, which are in a usable spot, but not liked by several styles of player, I will. This thread is about doing things that break several intended mechanisms for game balance as proposed, and which does not address the issues which underpin the problems you have with them directly, i.e. that you think it is required to run slaves to be effective, and/or that you refuse to fit warp speed mods and then depot-ditch them when you are ready to engage, or shuffle them into a carrier/orca/rorqual/station/pos/nestor etc.

It is required. Apparently other BS can go at 3.0 already. Did you know that? Or are they unbalanced as well. Baltec there can make a dred keep up with a cruiser fleet and you are attacking me for wanting a lift of the AU to enable BS to keep up with BC gangs and other sub cap types.

Machariels. Machariels are pirate battlships, which have no where near the raw DPS or WTF webs of a vindicator, cannot fit a full rack of t2 long range guns and an MWD without mods or implants for PG, have a lack luster drone bay for a pirate BS and also cost substantially more than t1 hulls, most of the difference is not insurable. They have their trade offs. No uber NOS like a bhaal. No 150% bonus to damage like a NM, no WTF sentries or shield resist bonus like a Rattler. No uber range scrams like a bhargest. Its big thing is speed and agility, and it does it well.

And before you bring up the nestor, please find me a fit that does something well other than incursion logi or mobile refitting service.

Umm no. My mach can fit a full rack of t2 guns without fitting mods, plus a nice neut and a functional tank. (do you fly these btw?).

To get the Vindy to warp at the same speed of the mach would require a substanial loss of rigs, low slots or slave clone.

the base level is too low.

T2 1400s, and a prop mod?
Fit plz.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Iain Cariaba
#143 - 2014-10-23 21:02:26 UTC
Maraner wrote:
My problem is that it is at the cost of trimarks or slave clones.

Now we finally get to the true issue. You're upset that you are forced to make a choice between tank and speed. Pretty sure this is by design, as you see similar choices throughout EvE. Range or DPS, tank or mining yield, and so on.

Also, your complaint that no other hulls need speed rigs to keep up with smaller ships, tell that to cruisers trying to catch frigates.
Maraner
The Executioners
#144 - 2014-10-23 21:05:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Maraner
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Maraner wrote:

Now we finally get to the true issue. You're upset that you are forced to make a choice between tank and speed. Pretty sure this is by design, as you see similar choices throughout EvE. Range or DPS, tank or mining yield, and so on.

Also, your complaint that no other hulls need speed rigs to keep up with smaller ships, tell that to cruisers trying to catch frigates.

Duh. Yes.

That's the point I've been making all along is that it takes an unacceptable loss of either tank or gank to make these ships warp at a reasonable speed. No other sub-cap needs to do this to roam.

Did you miss a few pages?

just to re-iterate, not asking for mind bending speed. Just a lift of .5 or 1.0 AU.

Thanks
Maraner
The Executioners
#145 - 2014-10-23 21:10:19 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Maraner wrote:

Oh and cruisers dont need to fit warp speed rigs to go on 30 - 40 jump roams. Because they go quick.

Not talking about running down frigs on grid, because a BS is just perfect for that role.

I am talking about the warp speed and how long it takes to move a BS gang without unacceptable compromise to their tank.

The AU warp speed nerf left these ships in the dust. Go look for a BS gang thats not on a titan bridge and take a screen shot.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#146 - 2014-10-23 21:12:40 UTC
Maraner wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Maraner wrote:

Duh. Yes.

That's the point I've been making all along is that it takes an unacceptable loss of either tank or gank to make these ships warp at a reasonable speed. No other sub-cap needs to do this to roam.

Did you miss a few pages?

just to re-iterate, not asking for mind bending speed. Just a lift of .5 or 1.0 AU.

Thanks

So, again, why do you feel the need to use slaves? If you aren't cutting your logi numbers to the bone and are truly in small-gang fights, slaves are almost useless if you have decent logi. If you are cutting your logi numbers to the bone, have bad logi or are purely relying on buffer tanked armor fits, this may be a much easier issue to address by simply applying the #1 bit of advice given in eve. HTFU.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#147 - 2014-10-23 21:19:37 UTC
Maraner wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Maraner wrote:

Oh and cruisers dont need to fit warp speed rigs to go on 30 - 40 jump roams. Because they go quick.

Not talking about running down frigs on grid, because a BS is just perfect for that role.

I am talking about the warp speed and how long it takes to move a BS gang without unacceptable compromise to their tank.

The AU warp speed nerf left these ships in the dust. Go look for a BS gang thats not on a titan bridge and take a screen shot.

Using one of your fits you would have 111k ehp if you fitted to go 3au. Put on that trimark and you get 122k.

This is an unacceptable compromise?
Maraner
The Executioners
#148 - 2014-10-23 21:49:13 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Maraner wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Maraner wrote:

Using one of your fits you would have 111k ehp if you fitted to go 3au. Put on that trimark and you get 122k.

Yes it is.

A hyperspatial rigs draw back is CPU, the mega has to give up a trimark and gimp it's fit in other ways to still be left behind.

That or fit an ascendancy clone and sacrifice even more with loss of hardwirings or slave clone.

No other class of ships in the game has to fit rigs to move around for roam fleets. This was a class specific nerf to BS and BCs, it effects very few ships in current meta with HACs being left completely unbothered either way with a speed buff on no need to every use AU modifying items. This change has had it's part to play in the now nearly vanishingly rare low sec BS gang.

My suggestion for a modest increase in AU is to enable these ships to fly in mixed gangs over reasonable roam distances and not get left behind.

Not asking for some sort of game breaking bullshit like a dred that moves around with cruiser gangs

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#149 - 2014-10-23 21:58:04 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Maraner wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Maraner wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Maraner wrote:

Yes it is.

A hyperspatial rigs draw back is CPU, the mega has to give up a trimark and gimp it's fit in other ways to still be left behind.

That or fit an ascendancy clone and sacrifice even more with loss of hardwirings or slave clone.

No other class of ships in the game has to fit rigs to move around for roam fleets. This was a class specific nerf to BS and BCs, it effects very few ships in current meta with HACs being left completely unbothered either way with a speed buff on no need to every use AU modifying items. This change has had it's part to play in the now nearly vanishingly rare low sec BS gang.

My suggestion for a modest increase in AU is to enable these ships to fly in mixed gangs over reasonable roam distances and not get left behind.

Not asking for some sort of game breaking bullshit like a dred that moves around with cruiser gangs

Ok firstly, that loss in EHP makes damn near no difference. Second, you do not need to move at 3au in gangs. And lastly, battleships were just as rare in low sec gangs before the warp speed changes as after.

This is simply a case of you wanting something without having to make fitting choices.
Maraner
The Executioners
#150 - 2014-10-23 22:10:03 UTC

I live in low sec and disagree. BS are just flat out rare these days.

Yes we do need to move at 3.0 AU or more, going 50 jumps on a roam the BS would be an hour behind at the end of a roam.

EHP 10% base loss when amplified with gang links and slave clones adds up. If I want to elevate the speed up to or around 3.0 AU then it's a rig and a low slot and I think a clone as well. C'mon.

Baltec1 you have this **** to hand, what is the minimum items needed to make a BS warp at 3.0? t's not just 1 hyperspatial rig.

It shouldn't have to lose so much to still struggle to keep up.

We liked to use mixed ship type gangs, they used to roam large areas of low sec. These days BS just sit on a titan.

cheers

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#151 - 2014-10-23 22:24:57 UTC
Maraner wrote:

We liked to use mixed ship type gangs, they used to roam large areas of low sec. These days BS just sit on a titan.

People have been saying exactly what you are for the last 11 years. If you refuse to adapt then just get a cruiser, CCP are not rolling back the speed changes.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#152 - 2014-10-23 22:27:43 UTC
Why do you need to make 50js to get action? I feel no sympathy if its blues in all directions, and only a little bit if it is people being too scared of your corp/alliance.

Clone alone makes 3.2 au/s for full HG, and even 3.0 is possible with medium ascendancies if you use the HG omega.
Prototype and t2 rig takes you to 2.9 au/s. experimental and t1 is 2.7, still far higher than the 2.5 requested, for minimal sacrifice.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Daoden
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#153 - 2014-10-23 22:28:34 UTC
you want to get into a fight while using a battleship fleet? go shoot an Ihub
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#154 - 2014-10-23 22:31:48 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Why do you need to make 50js to get action? I feel no sympathy if its blues in all directions, and only a little bit if it is people being too scared of your corp/alliance.

Clone alone makes 3.2 au/s for full HG, and even 3.0 is possible with medium ascendancies if you use the HG omega.
Prototype and t2 rig takes you to 2.9 au/s. experimental and t1 is 2.7, still far higher than the 2.5 requested, for minimal sacrifice.

No-one but the richest people go near high grades, hell even mid grades, in null.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#155 - 2014-10-23 22:37:38 UTC
afkalt wrote:
James Baboli wrote:

No-one but the richest people go near high grades, hell even mid grades, in null.

This thread was about lowsec. Nullsec has the bridges and so on to avert this stuff to a degree, and stationary targets like other people's sov to go after, which means no need to be fast enough to catch the enemy if you have enough to kill their sov structures.

That said, this was why I also included what it takes to get nearly to that spec with both expensive and semi-reasonable modules. even the 1 rig, 1 low setup puts the ship above the lowest base point requested.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Lil' Angel Gallifreyan
Lil' Angels Trading Corporation
#156 - 2014-10-23 22:38:49 UTC
Let's be frank about the situation in low-sec, a situation that even though Baltec doesn't experience firsthand every time he logs in, he's dead set on drowning out any comment on.

Battleships are simply not deployed on a regular basis in favor of cruiser sized ships, and even BCs. Even though they are somewhat balanced by the Ascendency set. And that is a significant sacrifice forgoing the much more useful pirate sets. This is done in favor of being able to roam at a reasonable subcapital speed with the rest of the fleets.

IT IS STILL NOT ENOUGH.

These ships are already on a knife edge of balance with their fitting specs, weapon specs, and slot layouts in terms of their ability to project and apply damage, while keeping a reasonable tank against common cruiser sized ships. Without going to a very specific and expensive ship (the Mach), without the hyperspatial rigs or modules, IN COMBINATION WITH THE ASCENDENCY SET you're still going so much slower than mainline ships.

Justify it however you want, "that pilots fail to adapt" (we do adapt as best we can, again, Ascendency set), that "they're bigger and should go slower" (a subcapital warping comparably to a dread that it is a fraction the size of, what?), or that "it'd make them too strong" (No, they're already balanced in their ability to tank and apply damage), but the way it is is the way it is.

Battleships are simply rare and underutilized now, and why shouldn't they be. With all the buffs smaller ships have received over the releases to their damage, agility, and warp speed, Battleships are left weak and unviable in almost every occasion a player wants to field one and be able to roam with the rest of their fleet.

And this deserves to be looked at by CCP. Battleships are subcapital ships with the warp speed weakness applied to them of capitals (near enough), and gained nothing in return for that price ever since they were balanced for the games pre-Rubicon 3.0au/s warp speed.

CCP and CSM have the analytics to show the gate jumps of Battleships in Low-Sec and they can look at this themselves, and not let the players who don't live in Low-Sec shout this down just because they're happy with the status quo.
Maraner
The Executioners
#157 - 2014-10-23 22:56:16 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Maraner wrote:

People have been saying exactly what you are for the last 11 years. If you refuse to adapt then just get a cruiser, CCP are not rolling back the speed changes.

They were right then, they are even more so now that teh BS more around so fecking slowly.

You dont seem to want to answer my other point.

What combination of AU modifying items is required to make a mega warp at 3.0 - which it moved at for like 10 years btw.

It is proably 1 rig, a clone set and a low set module.

So I have to give up a trimark, a slave set and a ******* mag stab to go the same slow assed speed that I went of the last decade and you are saying this is OP as you fit our your nano dred?

No other ships in the game have to **** away so much capability to move around at the same speed they did for a decade.

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#158 - 2014-10-23 23:00:41 UTC
Lil' Angel Gallifreyan wrote:
Let's be frank about the situation in low-sec, a situation that even though Baltec doesn't experience firsthand every time he logs in, he's dead set on drowning out any comment on.

Battleships are simply not deployed on a regular basis in favor of cruiser sized ships, and even BCs. Even though they are somewhat balanced by the Ascendency set. And that is a significant sacrifice forgoing the much more useful pirate sets. This is done in favor of being able to roam at a reasonable subcapital speed with the rest of the fleets.

Other than slaves, what pirate set is more useful to a DPS ship? I will of course, grant that talismans on a neut boat is hella powerful.

Quote:

IT IS STILL NOT ENOUGH.

These ships are already on a knife edge of balance with their fitting specs, weapon specs, and slot layouts in terms of their ability to project and apply damage, while keeping a reasonable tank against common cruiser sized ships. Without going to a very specific and expensive ship (the Mach), without the hyperspatial rigs or modules, IN COMBINATION WITH THE ASCENDENCY SET you're still going so much slower than mainline ships.

Ascendancy set by itself (for the expensive ones that you can use in lowsec) already makes a regular battleship faster in warp than a standard cruiser.
Quote:

Justify it however you want, "that pilots fail to adapt" (we do adapt as best we can, again, Ascendency set), that "they're bigger and should go slower" (a subcapital warping comparably to a dread that it is a fraction the size of, what?), or that "it'd make them too strong" (No, they're already balanced in their ability to tank and apply damage), but the way it is is the way it is.

Battleships are simply rare and underutilized now, and why shouldn't they be. With all the buffs smaller ships have received over the releases to their damage, agility, and warp speed, Battleships are left weak and unviable in almost every occasion a player wants to field one and be able to roam with the rest of their fleet.

Unless they pony up the money to buy the specialized fittings needed to run the ships in a viable manner, yes.

Quote:

And this deserves to be looked at by CCP. Battleships are subcapital ships with the warp speed weakness applied to them of capitals (near enough), and gained nothing in return for that price ever since they were balanced for the games pre-Rubicon 3.0au/s warp speed.

CCP and CSM have the analytics to show the gate jumps of Battleships in Low-Sec and they can look at this themselves, and not let the players who don't live in Low-Sec shout this down just because they're happy with the status quo.

A rebalance of battleships for this post-rubicon world makes sense, but they are already substantially faster in warp than capitals due to the much better acceleration to top speed, higher sustained speed and faster deceleration back to normal space, and so do not need as big a buff as many people say. They could use some updating, and some ships need a lot of love, but overall they are usable, if not always the best thing to bring (until you get spacerich)

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#159 - 2014-10-23 23:02:28 UTC
Maraner wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Maraner wrote:

They were right then, they are even more so now that teh BS more around so fecking slowly.

What combination of AU modifying items is required to make a mega warp at 3.0 - which it moved at for like 10 years btw.

So I have to give up a trimark, a slave set and a ******* mag stab to go the same slow assed speed that I went of the last decade and you are saying this is OP as you fit our your nano dred?

No other ships in the game have to **** away so much capability to move around at the same speed they did for a decade.

HG set with the cheaper WS 618, Midgrade set with HG omega, t2 rig + top tier low + 1 implant all get you there.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Maraner
The Executioners
#160 - 2014-10-23 23:29:03 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Maraner wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Maraner wrote:

HG set with the cheaper WS 618, Midgrade set with HG omega, t2 rig + top tier low + 1 implant all get you there.

So I have to fit a high grade set and a low slot mod to go at 3.0 or a T2 rig with CPU draw back and the low slot to STILL GET LEFT BEHIND. .

How the heck can anyone argue that it is OP to return these ships to 3.0 where they were sat for the last 10 fecking years.

OMG seriously do you even like batteships? Or do you just want them kept out of the meta except for titan bridged rail megas.

Return these Hulls to 3.0 now. If you want to argue against it say why, with rationale and evidence, tell me of the swarms of BS in the low sec area you live in so we can move there and brawl instead of having to deal with a bunch of risk adverse kiting cunts.

Let me know who actually LIKES to fly these ships around as they currently are witout some shortbus occupant along on the ride to keep them from falling asleep during the warp across system by screaming GGrgggfffeeek on comms.