These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev blog: Coming to EVE Online in the Phoebe release on November 4th

First post First post
Author
Miriya Zakalwe
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#281 - 2014-10-20 00:19:25 UTC
Daneau wrote:
Par'Gellen wrote:
CCP Darwin wrote:
Samsara Toldya wrote:
Please note that these pictures aren't "worst case" - it can get even worse. Maybe you want to create an extra topic where we can spam you with screenshots without crashing this thread?


The images in that post were more than enough to illustrate the problem.

Those images and the associated comments are in the hands of the user experience team, and they're looking into how to address the issues raised.

Thanks. I just hope it's not the same old "Ok we looked at your pictures... now go away." thing we're so used to for stuff like this. Some actual follow through would be really nice.


Please make sure that whoever looks into it test it with tactical overlay active, it gets much worse with
the overlay active.


Like twice as bad. Seriously.

Glad that the other tactical overlay user in Eve outed themselves, though! (I actually really like it. There, I said it.)
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#282 - 2014-10-20 05:32:58 UTC
There was a little talking about the 'white text in front of bright backgrounds' in the UI roundtable at Eve Vegas.

While my memory is a trifle suspect this weekend, due to people being bad influences on me, there was something mentioned about this being looked at. No timescale for deployment, but it is being looked at.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Daneau
Perkone
Caldari State
#283 - 2014-10-20 10:05:14 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
There was a little talking about the 'white text in front of bright backgrounds' in the UI roundtable at Eve Vegas.

While my memory is a trifle suspect this weekend, due to people being bad influences on me, there was something mentioned about this being looked at. No timescale for deployment, but it is being looked at.


Well to me its not so much the white on white, its more like driving a car at night, everything is dark except the small
patch of road in your headlights and then suddenly from behind a hill appears a big truck lit up like a christmas tree
with their headlights on full and who does not turn them of.

Also some instances like clouds in missions(or just a really bright nebula expeciall the blue tinted ones) together
with the tactical overlay feels a bit like those old spy movies when they put you in a chair and shine a really strong
lamp into your eyes.

I can understand wanting something more visually appealing than real space as background but is there any
real reason why we cant be allowed to adjust the max brightness of those nebulas ?
If the sole reason is that it would make the ships looks a little less shiny when zoomed in is that really
worth having the other 99% of your time when not zoomed in being an eyesore.
Par'Gellen
#284 - 2014-10-20 12:04:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Par'Gellen
Here are some more screenshots for the currently too bright nebulae from the Amarr area. My graphics settings and brightness etc are all at the defaults. The only thing I've changed is the color of the HUD windows to something a human would like.

*tap tap* Is this shield booster on? Yeah I can't tell either. (It is on by the way. Look very closely.)
http://i.imgur.com/Rfzqacd.png

Wow nebula overload! What do I have targeted again? Where am I? Pardon me while I go splash cold water on my eyeballs.
http://i.imgur.com/3UsO5bz.png

"To err is human", but it shouldn't be the company motto...

Eryn Velasquez
#285 - 2014-10-20 14:18:42 UTC
The nebulas are nothing compared to a gate with 30 large bubbles.

_“A man's freedom consists in his being able to do whatever he wills, but that he should not, by any human power, be forced to do what is against his will.” ― Jean-Jacques Rousseau _

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#286 - 2014-10-20 17:24:25 UTC
Daneau wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:
There was a little talking about the 'white text in front of bright backgrounds' in the UI roundtable at Eve Vegas.

While my memory is a trifle suspect this weekend, due to people being bad influences on me, there was something mentioned about this being looked at. No timescale for deployment, but it is being looked at.


Well to me its not so much the white on white, its more like driving a car at night, everything is dark except the small
patch of road in your headlights and then suddenly from behind a hill appears a big truck lit up like a christmas tree
with their headlights on full and who does not turn them of.

Also some instances like clouds in missions(or just a really bright nebula expeciall the blue tinted ones) together
with the tactical overlay feels a bit like those old spy movies when they put you in a chair and shine a really strong
lamp into your eyes.

I can understand wanting something more visually appealing than real space as background but is there any
real reason why we cant be allowed to adjust the max brightness of those nebulas ?
If the sole reason is that it would make the ships looks a little less shiny when zoomed in is that really
worth having the other 99% of your time when not zoomed in being an eyesore.



Someone (I can't remember if it was CCP or someone else though Sad ) was talking about fstops. When it's really bright outside, everything adjusts down, leaving your text visible. (like how a camera adjusts between bright and sunny outside, and dark inside)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Sizeof Void
Ninja Suicide Squadron
#287 - 2014-10-20 21:09:23 UTC
CCP Darwin wrote:
That said, I don't believe that this issue is being treated as something that requires an emergency fix (which would take time away from other planned development), so it may be a while before there's a resolution.

It appears to be a flaw with the development pipeline, so it should indeed be a high priority fix.

Essentially, no changes to background graphics should go live, until or after the UI team has reviewed and approved them, and made necessary fixes to the UI, if necessary. This is not a matter which should be left up to the graphics QA team to decide if there is a problem, after the fact.

Thus, the pipeline should look like:

Art team -> UI team -> Graphics QA

NOT:

Art team -> Graphics QA
UI team -> Graphics QA
Par'Gellen
#288 - 2014-10-20 21:59:01 UTC
Sizeof Void wrote:
CCP Darwin wrote:
That said, I don't believe that this issue is being treated as something that requires an emergency fix (which would take time away from other planned development), so it may be a while before there's a resolution.

It appears to be a flaw with the development pipeline, so it should indeed be a high priority fix.

Essentially, no changes to background graphics should go live, until or after the UI team has reviewed and approved them, and made necessary fixes to the UI, if necessary. This is not a matter which should be left up to the graphics QA team to decide if there is a problem, after the fact.

Thus, the pipeline should look like:

Art team -> UI team -> Graphics QA

NOT:

Art team -> Graphics QA
UI team -> Graphics QA

You could not be more correct sir. +1

"To err is human", but it shouldn't be the company motto...

Arsine Mayhem
Doomheim
#289 - 2014-10-21 01:40:39 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
There was a little talking about the 'white text in front of bright backgrounds' in the UI roundtable at Eve Vegas.

While my memory is a trifle suspect this weekend, due to people being bad influences on me, there was something mentioned about this being looked at. No timescale for deployment, but it is being looked at.


Many sites, systems, anons, missions like this. Mass bubbling of gates.

http://i.imgur.com/uYdTcgq.jpg

I can provide as many shots as you want.

If you play the game at all, you know what it's like.

It's blinding.

If I want to see nebula I'll go to http://hubblesite.org/gallery/ and see the real thing. I have NGC 4594, The Sombrero Galaxy as my desktop.
Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
#290 - 2014-10-21 01:44:09 UTC
The new icons do not differentiate them selves enough.

Accessing the ISIS and map view while in the Captains Quarters view is broken.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

CCP Darwin
C C P
C C P Alliance
#291 - 2014-10-21 19:39:33 UTC
Salpun wrote:
Accessing the ISIS and map view while in the Captains Quarters view is broken.


Please use the bug report submission tool (accessible by typing F12) to report these types of issues. If you can capture a screen shot of whatever you're reporting, it can help.

CCP Darwin  •  Senior Software Engineer, Art & Graphics, EVE Online  •  @mark_wilkins

Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
#292 - 2014-10-21 19:58:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Salpun
CCP Darwin wrote:
Salpun wrote:
Accessing the ISIS and map view while in the Captains Quarters view is broken.


Please use the bug report submission tool (accessible by typing F12) to report these types of issues. If you can capture a screen shot of whatever you're reporting, it can help.

I already did it was classified as attached last time I looked.

Still have open bug reports on "loot all" opening main inventory when ships inventory is open already.
In space mission objectives that show up when looking at a station show the same mission multiple times.
Objectives that are on the same grid as you default some times to the 90 degree location and stick there. Should be some thing like green in the middle of the capacitor indicator to show if you are on grid of the objective.

Bug report on this issue got closed:

When purchasing skill books and trying to apply them on a new character. The right click option for "train now to level one" did not appear in the right click menu. Only reason I could find was that the category for that skill book had not been generated in the Training Queue window causing the option to not show up.

Phoebe is looking good but still needs some tweaks.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

Tsukinosuke
Id Est
RAZOR Alliance
#293 - 2014-10-22 16:23:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Tsukinosuke
after all, i know current nullsec cant be fixed. i hope so it will rise from its ashes gradually.. glass-cannons and tech 3 tactical destroyers(amarr victor!) with new t3 concept and code name: tug.. o7

anti-antagonist "not a friend of enemy of antagonist"

Dwissi
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#294 - 2014-10-24 12:26:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Dwissi
I do like to mention a concern regarding the scanner changes:

Before this change clicking the scanner symbol would open all 3 scanner tabs in a single window. The same old shortcut (alt-d as default) will now only open the probe scanner.

I personally would really prefer if you could implement the solution in this way:

Keep the scanner window as it used to be but make the single windows undockable. With the current implementation on SISI you force everyone to create single shortcuts for each type of scanner. Especially new players will easily miss the other scanning abilities because many players use the shortcuts instead of the click functionality. Dont force everyone to click more than necessary please.

Proud designer of glasses for geeky dovakins

Before someone complains again: grr everyone

Greed is the death of loyalty

Strom Crendraven
Awakened Ones
#295 - 2014-10-25 01:32:30 UTC
You think once the next expansion is released we will finally stop getting patches for the current expansion?
Tantus Cesar
Perkone
Caldari State
#296 - 2014-11-03 00:09:33 UTC
Why can't the extended downtine for once not be in the AU tZ? Lets release everything in the same timezone, and only affect 1 set of customers
45thtiger 0109
Living Breathing Fuel Blocks
#297 - 2014-11-03 01:09:41 UTC
CCP Phantom wrote:
CCP Seagull, Executive Producer of EVE Online, comes with a new exciting dev blog giving you an overview of all the features coming to you with the Phoebe release on November 4th.

Long distance travel changes, an unlimited skill queue, new invention and reverse engineering, graphical updates, new and rebalanced exploration rewards ... there is something exciting for everyone!

Check out CCP Seagull's latest blog Coming to EVE Online in the Phoebe release on November 4th!


Did CCP say an unlimited skill queue well CCP it is still limited by how much Game Time someone has.

So it is not unlimited Big smileP

Just my two cents worth

**You Have to take the good with the bad and the bad with the good.

Welcome to EvE OnLiNe**

45thtiger 0109
Living Breathing Fuel Blocks
#298 - 2014-11-03 01:20:30 UTC
Tantus Cesar wrote:
Why can't the extended downtine for once not be in the AU tZ? Lets release everything in the same timezone, and only affect 1 set of customers


DT does not affect me and I do live in East Coast of Australia.

And DT is usually 10 to 30 minutes from 10 pm AEDT.

And at that is the time I am in bed.

Some of us do have real life jobs Big smileP

Fly Safe Lol

**You Have to take the good with the bad and the bad with the good.

Welcome to EvE OnLiNe**

Jana Tanaka
Tanaka Holdings Inc.
#299 - 2014-11-03 05:06:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Jana Tanaka
It is great that interfaces get removes, decryptors unified and that we will finally be able to start several invention jobs at once.

But reducing the level requirements of Ship Construction skills for T2 Ship production to I is a horrible change.
It is the equivalent of removing Racial Turret V as prerequisite for T2 Turret systems.
This change takes away an opportunity for dedicated industrialists to get an advantage over competitors by specialization.

In the last few years every industry change seemed to be aimed at destroying even the entry barriers into advanced fields like Invention or Reengineering. Something similar happened with Exploration and to a lesser degree by the removal of Racial Battleship V as prerequisite for Capitals, aso. It was always a part of EVE, that we could carve out and defend our own section of the sandbox. Changes as these begin to transform our sandbox into a theme park, where everybody can have a ride on everything.

The proposed change to the Ship construction skills, instead of their removal and reimbursement is ridiculous. A 1% reduction in Production Time is not a meaningful compensation for the removal of the entry barriers and the training time invested. For Cruiser Construction and Battleship Construction level V takes about a month each.
Quelldrogo
Deep Crow Envoy Corps
#300 - 2014-11-29 13:30:24 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
It should be obvious at this point that players who have an opinion about brighter nebulas oppose them, and some would rather like a darker background for their interface. Being a bittervet, I know that the change will go through, as with everything the Art Deparment gets OK'ed, and players/customers be damned, but at least we said what we oppose and why, so now the ball is on CCP.

It just is tiresome that each time some bloody artist comes up with some bright idea, CCP can't say "no hell no, that would be bad for our customers" and we're reduced to helplessly complain about CCP's artwork hurting our eyes and making our game more difficult to play without an opt-out.

It is so, so tiresome... Cry


PLEASE THIS!!!!

The nebulas are beautiful but it makes gameplay really ANNOYING having to constantly spin your view to try to find a dark region of space. Seriously..... most of real space is DARK. There should not be super bright nebulas plastered in every system taking up half your screen and blowing out the UI.

Give players a graphics option for "Dark Space" background textures. As for lore, any ship sensor array would have a full suite of visual filters. I WANT TO SEE MOSTLY BLACK SPACE. Nebulas should be fewer, like maybe 20% of systems. Again, in real space, look at the filtered images from NASA. Nebulas are beautiful, keep your art guys bringing more, but make them rarer. I should be excited to see one, not annoyed.

That is all. Otherwise amazing fooking game CCP. Thank You.