These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

[Phoebe] Long Distance Travel Changes - updates!

First post First post First post
Author
Polo Marco
Four Winds
#1241 - 2014-10-14 22:38:11 UTC
Polo Marco wrote:
Panther X wrote:
, I shouldn't have to buy another dumb implant just to fly the damn ships.


And nobody should have to see the HORSE they trained a year to ride turn into a TURTLE, either. Crying over spilt milk won't fix the problem. If enough people submit ideas, we are much more likely to find one that works. Thanks for the feedback.

Eve teaches hard lessons. Don't blame the game for your own failures.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#1242 - 2014-10-14 22:48:22 UTC
Polo Marco wrote:
Panther X wrote:
, I shouldn't have to buy another dumb implant just to fly the damn ships.


And nobody should have to see the HORSE they trained a year to ride turn into a TURTLE, either. Crying over spilt milk won't fix the problem. If enough people submit ideas, we are much more likely to find one that works.

These coming changes are done - When Rapid Launchers were introduced, Devs stated several times the ability to switch ammo type was going to be sorted out. What is it, a year later? And you still can't switch ammo type without a 35 second delay.

Rapid Heavies are worse than useless but Devs are clever - They just came up with more ways to change the way people play the game, so attention to missiles was drawn elsewhere.

Same thing will happen with these changes, no-one is really happy about them (except those who don't use capitals) people have come up with some good alternatives and ideas but Devs are not interested in that. They started writing these changes months ago, they won't throw out months of work because they made a mistake or there is a better alternative, they will keep supporting that mistake (generally by ignoring feedback threads) until they release information about the next major change to how people play. Once the next major change is announced, people will concentrate on it and the original bad idea becomes history.

My opinions are mine.

  If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Lord TGR
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1243 - 2014-10-14 22:57:11 UTC
Polo Marco wrote:
I hear ya man. I was a PnP Dungeons and dragons GM for years, and endgame management requires very careful thought and extreme caution. OP items can quickly unbalance your game. Once you give them it's almost impossible to take them back. But now we got these beasts, and it's too late to take 'em away.

It's never too late to take anything away.

Polo Marco wrote:
With regard to the implant itself, I couldn't think of a better way to 'mark' the dedicated jump drive clone that both the server and the player could recognize. I'd like to hear any ideas on that, as I would rather my cap pilots not have to sacrifice a slot myself.

You could just, oh I dunno, make it a char attribute, and forget the JC idea.

Polo Marco wrote:
And really, is this anymore draconian than hobbling these proud beasts to a mere 5ly cap at max skills?

Yes, it is. With the 5ly cap you're not saying "you can only go so far in a week", you're saying "you can go as far as you'd like, it'll just take a while longer".

As to the thing I like the most about the 5ly limit: it adds actual geography back to eve again, and chokepoints. This is a good thing.
Tiberius Funk
A Religion Worth Exploding For
The Celestial Empire
#1244 - 2014-10-14 23:19:01 UTC
I'm sure this has been said already but I'm going to say it with two out of forum articles from two of the biggest Eve news sites:

First of all Evenews24:

http://evenews24.com/2014/10/12/northern-coalition-consolidates-assets-in-lowsec/

The salient point here is:

"Vince Draken: We have Dread and carrier Caches we need to place before the patch which we will do the day before patch"

Yeah so NCdot will be fairly sorted commeth patch day with various dread and carrier caches at key stations where their 10 jump clone members will strategically place their clones. This will negate most of the effect of the nerf to capitals. Supers will be affected but it's been the slowcat virtually insta-deployable fleet that's been the bane of nullsec for the last year or two. Looks like it's here to stay sadly.

And secondly, arguably Evenews24's opposing news site, The Mittani dot com:

http://themittani.com/features/breaking-fatigue-ducking-new-speed-limit

Have a good read. I know a lot of you will hate the source being the Mittani dot com but it's a decent article stating exactly why these jump nerfs WON'T work. The key paragraph being:

"CCP seems confident that this system would be too difficult to implement and won’t happen. When somebody proposed clone swapping in the comments thread of the dev blog CCP Greyscale responded with this, “The actual logistics of doing this for a reasonable range of target systems are sufficiently involved that we do not expect it to happen in practice.” This may end up being the case, but CCP also predicted that titans would be so hard to build that there would never be more than a handful in the game and that living in wormholes would be so logistically difficult that nobody would ever choose to do it. That hubris is what has given us the state of supercapital proliferation and imbalance that exists today."

This is absolutely spot on! In Eve if there is a way to gain an advantage then eve players will do it.

So here's to more of the same sadly because things may change initially but you can bet you're bottom dollar they'll return to the status quo pretty quickly.

Just for the record I'm no Goon fanboy. I hate goons. You can see that from the 1001 ishtars I've killed over the last 6 months or so. I have no great love for NCdot or N3 etc. What I really hate though is the stagnation in nullsec. It's boring and it's killing the game whilst filling certain individuals' pockets in the process.

I think CCP have been very careful not to nerf things into the ground as they once had a habit of. The result though has often been not going far enough and unfortunately this is a case in point.

TiBBeH
Polo Marco
Four Winds
#1245 - 2014-10-15 00:03:03 UTC
Lord TGR wrote:
It's never too late to take anything away.
Well I found out the hard way this is one of the things that players ACTUALLY WILL quit over.

Just imagine the crying and the trolling................

Lord TGR wrote:
You could just, oh I dunno, make it a char attribute, and forget the JC idea.
You mean like picking a base on your character sheet? So say, when you start, your first base is the rookie station in your rookie system. Then you could change base every seven days. It would certainly work, but might be difficult to implement as it would require a new data field in the character records. Upside is that the player doesn't have to waste a slot.

Lord TGR wrote:
Yes, it is. With the 5ly cap you're not saying "you can only go so far in a week", you're saying "you can go as far as you'd like, it'll just take a while longer".
You still can just a LOT slower for long distances. 64ly (with a base change) divided by 7 days is about 9ly a day. That would make the eve universe a LOT bigger.

Lord TGR wrote:
As to the thing I like the most about the 5ly limit: it adds actual geography back to eve again, and chokepoints. This is a good thing.
To start with, I'm gonna give you a kneejerk here. Address geography issues with geography changes.

Done... Now - You are right, we need some Gibralters and Skaggeraks, and jump travel has mitigated many of those points in the game. But don't forget the Panama and Suez canals, manmade changes.

Speculating on this issue is pointless until we see what the player made gates look like. They could trump all other changes and be so rare and far reaching that wars will be fought over them, or could be complete duds, useful only to get to ratting systems and such. Let's wait on that one.

Eve teaches hard lessons. Don't blame the game for your own failures.

smokeydapot
Moon Of The Pheonix
#1246 - 2014-10-15 00:49:14 UTC
So I ran this idea past some non eve players using the analogy of cars the story goes as such:

Me: so you hear of a brand new BMW that is capable of doing 1000 miles per gallon, It costs you a years wage and an extensive driving licence that takes more than a year to complete.

them: What’s it called ?

Me: The BMW 540 W.I.S, Anyway this car has the ability to carry other cars, all of your furniture and go 400 MPH.

Them: 400 MPH ???

Me: yes it’s an awesome machine, It’s the ultimate car.

Them: Ok I'm sold, Sign me up i want it.

Me: now the dealership drops the bombshell.

Them: there’s always a catch.

Me: as usual, the car never does the 1000 miles, after 48.5 miles it overheats before you can travel again leaving you at the side of the road for 5 minutes and 51 seconds.

Them: well that sucks.

Me: that’s not the extent of it, once you start driving again because the engine retains heat you travel 35.7 miles before stopping expecting it to overheat again, Your expectation is correct but this time you are stranded at the side of the road for 25 minutes.

Them: screw it I would rather take the train.

Me: but what about all the cool features this car has to offer ??

Them: It’s not worth the time investment or money to sit at the side of the road.

Me: But it’s such a cool car if you want you can get a tow to cover extra distance while it cools down.

Them: nope not interested, I buy a car to get around despite all the cool features it’s not worth the trouble.



So even them that have never played eve or have any idea of these changes ( before this conversation ) agree that this "patch" is a pile of crap.

Go try this with people that don't play eve yourself and see what the reaction is.
Sweet Times
Riptide Riot
#1247 - 2014-10-15 01:38:33 UTC
ive played alot of games over the years and what i found with all of them is when the devs decde to shake thing up in a game the player base that has invested alot of time money and energy into something see it all destroyed with the stroke of a pen normainly means only 1 thing alot of the player base leaves and the game begins to die .

i hope this doesnt happen here so many fantastic games destroyed by devs who have great intentions but at the end of the day eds up unemployed.
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#1248 - 2014-10-15 02:37:15 UTC
smokeydapot wrote:
So I ran this idea past some non eve players using the analogy of cars the story goes as such:

Me: so you hear of a brand new BMW that is capable of doing 1000 miles per gallon, It costs you a years wage and an extensive driving licence that takes more than a year to complete.

them: What’s it called ?

Me: The BMW 540 W.I.S, Anyway this car has the ability to carry other cars, all of your furniture and go 400 MPH.

Them: 400 MPH ???

Me: yes it’s an awesome machine, It’s the ultimate car.

Them: Ok I'm sold, Sign me up i want it.

Me: now the dealership drops the bombshell.

Them: there’s always a catch.

Me: as usual, the car never does the 1000 miles, after 48.5 miles it overheats before you can travel again leaving you at the side of the road for 5 minutes and 51 seconds.

Them: well that sucks.

Me: that’s not the extent of it, once you start driving again because the engine retains heat you travel 35.7 miles before stopping expecting it to overheat again, Your expectation is correct but this time you are stranded at the side of the road for 25 minutes.

Them: screw it I would rather take the train.

Me: but what about all the cool features this car has to offer ??

Them: It’s not worth the time investment or money to sit at the side of the road.

Me: But it’s such a cool car if you want you can get a tow to cover extra distance while it cools down.

Them: nope not interested, I buy a car to get around despite all the cool features it’s not worth the trouble.



So even them that have never played eve or have any idea of these changes ( before this conversation ) agree that this "patch" is a pile of crap.

Go try this with people that don't play eve yourself and see what the reaction is.

So I removed all context and people agreed with me.
Xer Jin
XER'S LONE SOLOS CLUB
#1249 - 2014-10-15 03:04:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Xer Jin
ive a small idea first though i've never used a jump drive so yeah there's that but sounds like you want to incentivise fleets to travel by gates mostly and use J.D. tactically. what if you increased warp speed a bit . i know modules and implants yada yada yada but a WD buff of some sort across the board or wd speed skill with a 5-10% modifier to warp speed? might help sell the JD nerf a bit more easily? take away with one hand give with the other? you guy like to do that alot ive noticed! i've never lived in null sec but i understand its for the "health" of null sec and the game in general. i'm sure many pilots are hurt by this change in many ways, delicious tears! but your gonna do what you guys think is right any way. just my thoughts, this is not a rant, sorry 4 bad post, i ate a cookie :D


tl dr:
1: IdeaI have and idea
2:Straight I can't use jd yet
3:Idea I know what you want CCP!
4: IdeaMake WD speed skill?
5: PirateProfitssss?
6: EvilCCP is mean?
7:Oops i've never lived in null sec.
7: What?did you talk to the game doctor?
8: Cryyou made nullsec cry!
9: Pdelicious tears!
10: Twistedyou're the boss?
11:What? just my thoughts, this is not a rant, sorry 4 bad post, i ate a cookie Big smile
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1250 - 2014-10-15 03:05:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Andy Landen
Ocih wrote:
Polo Marco wrote:
I know lots of vets who will probably never permanently live there again because they got kicked out of system after system. One guy offered to contract me fifty billion Isk worth of his stuff still sitting down in Delve, and said if I could get it back for him he'd follow me anywhere. :)



Add me to this group.

Every Sov war since they began has been an Evac in the making. That's not even a realistic option now unless you are 5 AU to a mechanically forced, neutral position - .aka NPC stations. I'm wondering if that's not the underlying plan though.

To be realistic though, I don't know what CCP can do to get me to dedicate to Null. It still feels like a suckers bet and a scam.

The only way I would venture more than 5ly away from a low sec or npc null sec station is if either I had a pos as a mid point (10ly max) to rest my "jump fatigue" or if I could carry a pos with me and throw it and the force field up instantly as soon as I had jumped into the next system (and take it down instantly before I made my next jump).

The only way I would take gates is if I had warp bubble immunity because otherwise everytime I hit a bubble on a gate, I would have a very significant chance of losing a multi-billion ISK investment as I slow boated out or through the bubble. I would also have to have a micro jump drive module and +2 to warp drive strength to combat being bumped after jumping through the gate and pointed. Bumping immunity would help too. Because I can't be bothered to organize a fleet of twice the strength of the largest possible hostile presence in the region just to jump a few gates.

PS: I invested a lot into all level 5 carrier skills including jump drive skills, so there should be some thought about how all my train time to level five will in some way be compensated for everything that is being taken away from those skills and abilities. Also, there is this other great spaceship game that I have been watching for a while. Seems like it may be time to switch and given something new a try. Star Citizen! woo hoo!

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Anthar Thebess
#1251 - 2014-10-15 06:32:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Anthar Thebess
5LY for JF!
Lord TGR
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1252 - 2014-10-15 07:33:58 UTC
Andy Landen wrote:
Ocih wrote:
Polo Marco wrote:
I know lots of vets who will probably never permanently live there again because they got kicked out of system after system. One guy offered to contract me fifty billion Isk worth of his stuff still sitting down in Delve, and said if I could get it back for him he'd follow me anywhere. :)



Add me to this group.

Every Sov war since they began has been an Evac in the making. That's not even a realistic option now unless you are 5 AU to a mechanically forced, neutral position - .aka NPC stations. I'm wondering if that's not the underlying plan though.

To be realistic though, I don't know what CCP can do to get me to dedicate to Null. It still feels like a suckers bet and a scam.

The only way I would venture more than 5ly away from a low sec or npc null sec station is if either I had a pos as a mid point (10ly max) to rest my "jump fatigue" or if I could carry a pos with me and throw it and the force field up instantly as soon as I had jumped into the next system (and take it down instantly before I made my next jump).

The only way I would take gates is if I had warp bubble immunity because otherwise everytime I hit a bubble on a gate, I would have a very significant chance of losing a multi-billion ISK investment as I slow boated out or through the bubble. I would also have to have a micro jump drive module and +2 to warp drive strength to combat being bumped after jumping through the gate and pointed. Bumping immunity would help too. Because I can't be bothered to organize a fleet of twice the strength of the largest possible hostile presence in the region just to jump a few gates.

PS: I invested a lot into all level 5 carrier skills including jump drive skills, so there should be some thought about how all my train time to level five will in some way be compensated for everything that is being taken away from those skills and abilities. Also, there is this other great spaceship game that I have been watching for a while. Seems like it may be time to switch and given something new a try. Star Citizen! woo hoo!

Someone needs to HTFU.
Lord TGR
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1253 - 2014-10-15 07:37:54 UTC
smokeydapot wrote:
So I ran this idea past some non eve players using the analogy of cars the story goes as such:

Me: so you hear of a brand new BMW that is capable of doing 1000 miles per gallon, It costs you a years wage and an extensive driving licence that takes more than a year to complete.

them: What’s it called ?

Me: The BMW 540 W.I.S, Anyway this car has the ability to carry other cars, all of your furniture and go 400 MPH.

Them: 400 MPH ???

Me: yes it’s an awesome machine, It’s the ultimate car.

Them: Ok I'm sold, Sign me up i want it.

Me: now the dealership drops the bombshell.

Them: there’s always a catch.

Me: as usual, the car never does the 1000 miles, after 48.5 miles it overheats before you can travel again leaving you at the side of the road for 5 minutes and 51 seconds.

Them: well that sucks.

Me: that’s not the extent of it, once you start driving again because the engine retains heat you travel 35.7 miles before stopping expecting it to overheat again, Your expectation is correct but this time you are stranded at the side of the road for 25 minutes.

Them: screw it I would rather take the train.

Me: but what about all the cool features this car has to offer ??

Them: It’s not worth the time investment or money to sit at the side of the road.

Me: But it’s such a cool car if you want you can get a tow to cover extra distance while it cools down.

Them: nope not interested, I buy a car to get around despite all the cool features it’s not worth the trouble.



So even them that have never played eve or have any idea of these changes ( before this conversation ) agree that this "patch" is a pile of crap.

Go try this with people that don't play eve yourself and see what the reaction is.

For your analogy to work you'd have to say that if you use this car you can either take the road, and not have to stop anywhere for gas, ever, or you can teleport yourself instantly to another city, but you have to wait a short while before teleporting to the next city AND you have to fill it up with gas every now and then.
Lord TGR
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1254 - 2014-10-15 08:01:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Lord TGR
Polo Marco wrote:
Well I found out the hard way this is one of the things that players ACTUALLY WILL quit over.

Just imagine the crying and the trolling................

People are always crying and proclaiming loudly that I AM QUITTING IF YOU DO THIS. They did this with the PI tax changes, proclaiming how it would kill off hisec and how PI could never ever be profitable ever again in hisec, and that this was nothing but a huge buff for nullsec and a conspiracy by the nullsec csm etc etc etc etc. Turned out that hisec PI was profitable again after a month or so, because (shock horror) the players, and the market, adapted.

Same with every other change like the speed nerf, titan subcap dd, blaptitans, titan AOE DD, etc etc etc. They'll adapt to this change as well, and if they're in any way shape or form into strategy games, they'll not just adapt to it, they'll appreciate it.

Polo Marco wrote:
You mean like picking a base on your character sheet? So say, when you start, your first base is the rookie station in your rookie system. Then you could change base every seven days. It would certainly work, but might be difficult to implement as it would require a new data field in the character records. Upside is that the player doesn't have to waste a slot.

Yes, that's what I mean, and no, it won't be "difficult to implement".

Polo Marco wrote:
You still can just a LOT slower for long distances. 64ly (with a base change) divided by 7 days is about 9ly a day. That would make the eve universe a LOT bigger.

Except for when you do pony express and still get from one extreme of the map to the other within, say, 10 minutes. Even with pony expressing Greyscale's method will either require one alt per jump (so 13 alts to cover the same amount of space your 32LY radius solution allows), or less if they try to play on the difference between cooldown and fatigue. Or, if they were to attach it to the ship as well, you'll never get there as quickly as is possible with your solution.

Polo Marco wrote:
To start with, I'm gonna give you a kneejerk here. Address geography issues with geography changes.

Done... Now - You are right, we need some Gibralters and Skaggeraks, and jump travel has mitigated many of those points in the game. But don't forget the Panama and Suez canals, manmade changes.

Speculating on this issue is pointless until we see what the player made gates look like. They could trump all other changes and be so rare and far reaching that wars will be fought over them, or could be complete duds, useful only to get to ratting systems and such. Let's wait on that one.

The LY changes IS addressing geography issues with geography changes. It's like if you were to take a country and make the mountains surrounding it much higher so it's impossible for tanks to go directly from A to B, they have to go through chokepoint C first.

And you're assuming we WILL be seeing player made gates. Essentially player made gates are already in the game, and they were added pre-nerfed. Then tons of people in hisec bitched and whined about it and they were nerfed even further still. And now they're getting a third nerf when this hits.
Kwa Zulu
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#1255 - 2014-10-15 08:49:23 UTC
It wouldn't be unreasonable to limit fatigue to a maximium of something like a week, preventing sold chars from being messed up as well as newbies making their characters unusuable by mistake
Polo Marco
Four Winds
#1256 - 2014-10-15 09:05:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Polo Marco
Lord TGR wrote:
Polo Marco wrote:
You mean like picking a base on your character sheet? So say, when you start, your first base is the rookie station in your rookie system. Then you could change base every seven days. It would certainly work, but might be difficult to implement as it would require a new data field in the character records. Upside is that the player doesn't have to waste a slot.

Yes, that's what I mean, and no, it won't be "difficult to implement".

Polo Marco wrote:
You still can just a LOT slower for long distances. 64ly (with a base change) divided by 7 days is about 9ly a day. That would make the eve universe a LOT bigger.

Except for when you do pony express and still get from one extreme of the map to the other within, say, 10 minutes. Even with pony expressing Greyscale's method will either require one alt per jump (so 13 alts to cover the same amount of space your 32LY radius solution allows), or less if they try to play on the difference between cooldown and fatigue. Or, if they were to attach it to the ship as well, you'll never get there as quickly as is possible with your solution.


Aha!....... Sleep + Coffee = DHUUUUUHHH. Forgot deathcloning. Clone with implant suicides. Install new implant at leisure somewhere else........... change incoming... official player base it is... :)

with regards to implementing.. remember we don't know what in-house tools CCP uses. stuff like the program that clones to SISI or their data miners, scripting composers etc......In short this type change will involve at least one COMMITEE.Ttrust me, been there, done that.

Lord TGR wrote:
Except for when you do pony express and still get from one extreme of the map to the other within, say, 10 minutes
A pilot can do that in an interceptor anyway. Individual ships can be ferried, But the jump capability itself which makes a jump fleet work can only go 9ly a day.

Lord TGR wrote:

And you're assuming we WILL be seeing player made gates
There will have to be as we are supposed to be able to destroy them too. What happens to your choke point when it has no gates?

Eve teaches hard lessons. Don't blame the game for your own failures.

Lord TGR
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1257 - 2014-10-15 09:23:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Lord TGR
Polo Marco wrote:
Aha!....... Sleep + Coffee = DHUUUUUHHH. Forgot deathcloning. Clone with implant suicides. Install new implant at leisure somewhere else........... change incoming... official player base it is... :)

Implant won't have any impact on where your JDC's "home base" is, unless you're going to NOT make JDCs an exception.

Polo Marco wrote:
with regards to implementing.. remember we don't know what in-house tools CCP uses. stuff like the program that clones to SISI or their data miners, scripting composers etc......In short this type change will involve at least one COMMITEE.Ttrust me, been there, done that.

Adding a column to a database, and adding support for that to whatever tool they use for datamining is a minor task. It's not difficult.

Polo Marco wrote:
Lord TGR wrote:
Except for when you do pony express and still get from one extreme of the map to the other within, say, 10 minutes
A pilot can do that in an interceptor anyway. Individual ships can be ferried, But the jump capability itself which makes a jump fleet work can only go 9ly a day.

It'll take you a lot more than 10 minutes to go from one extreme of the map to the other, even in an interceptor, and when you get there you'll have nothing to use (or, you've got caches of at least 2 of each capship you use spread around the entire map in 64LY increments).

And 9LY/day is an average which doesn't take into account anything even remotely related to pony expressing.

Polo Marco wrote:
There will have to be as we are supposed to be able to destroy them too. What happens to your choke point when it has no gates?

I doubt they'll let us destroy stargates, but if they do then I assume they'll replace it with a mechanism for jumping between systems which requires no gates, so you can setup gates, and that these gates'll have range limits to still maintain the strategic importance of certain systems.

But they were also promising walking in stations, and asteroid belt mining and POS revamps etc. I'd be careful with what they've promised and what they'll actually deliver. This change to caps, sov etc are things which are necessary, because they're (finally; I've been saying we'd end up in the situation we're in now in nullsec for 3, closer to 4 years) at the point where they've realized that the mechanics in nullsec are Not Good, and that they have to change.
Polo Marco
Four Winds
#1258 - 2014-10-15 09:26:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Polo Marco
BLOOP double post

Eve teaches hard lessons. Don't blame the game for your own failures.

Polo Marco
Four Winds
#1259 - 2014-10-15 09:31:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Polo Marco
Polo Marco wrote:
Removing the implant mechanism due to 'deathcloning'... dhuuh. Let's use a new character sheet feature instead. At this point, to ease confusion it will be called the JUMP BASE.

I didn't like the implant anyway.......


The operational range nerf here is intended to REPLACE the single jump range nerf in ALL ships.

All existing ship Jump ranges will remain unchanged.

Under this mechanic all ships will be treated EQUALLY.

(There has been input suggesting JFs, Rorqs and Blops be exempted. What do YOU think?)

Naval ships and aircraft in the real world all operate out of home ports or bases. There is plenty of practical realism here as a premise for this mechanic.


The JUMP BASE

1) Each pilot must stipulate a JUMP BASE station on his character sheet.

2) A pilot may only use his jump drive within 32ly of this base, and he may not jump beyond this radius.

3) A pilot may only change his designated JUMP BASE once every SEVEN DAYS.

4) A new pilot's starting JUMP BASE will always be the rookie station in the rookie system where they enter the game, and the player may change it as often as cooldown allows, but there must always be an existing station designated as that pilot's JUMP BASE.

The move cooldown and range limit should not be written in stone. They are just my initial ideas.

The mechanic presented here has a number of advantages. It should prevent taxiing and makes transfer clones to move ship assets redundant.

I suggest that it will make it easier on FCs, players, and servers alike, over the existing plans, while sharply interdicting long range projection of power.

The negative effects on small player entities will not be nearly as bad as with the current plan

I also suggest that the troublesome, bumpy and game risky mechanic of allowing caps to use stargates be deferred till a later time, until we see how the new system works. I feel this particular change should get its own release so its effects can be more carefully measured.If left in there would be an issue involving jump capable ships that have gate moved out of range. I suggest in this case no jumping till back within range of the pilot's base.

Eve teaches hard lessons. Don't blame the game for your own failures.

Lord TGR
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1260 - 2014-10-15 09:43:54 UTC
Polo Marco wrote:
All existing ship Jump ranges will remain unchanged.

So basically, leave the universe as a flat universe where strategy is barely a concern.

Polo Marco wrote:
I also suggest that the troublesome, bumpy and game risky mechanic of allowing caps to use stargates be deferred till a later time, until we see how the new system works. I feel this particular change should get its own release so its effects can be more carefully measured.

Why? It's a buff to capitals.

Polo Marco wrote:
If left in there would be an issue involving jump capable ships that have gate moved out of range. I suggest in this case no jumping till back within range of the pilot's base.

Don't take your capitals outside of the range to the pilot's base, then.

But since we're talking about limiting caps to a certain distance from their "jump base", then I suppose we might as well do away with fuel, too.