These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Sensor Overlay 2.0: Bigger, Better, Bookmarks in Spacier!

First post First post First post
Author
Pritovsky Pootis
Eschelon Directive
Quantum Inquisition
#121 - 2014-10-09 02:52:40 UTC
I cant quite believe it. CCP is actually responding to a feedback thread? Actually listening to feedback and adjusting a feature before its released?

Why didn't we get this in the WH forum?

You guys are my new favourite dev team. Really loving this change. Can we have some you guys that worked on this feature be shifted over to the WH section after you finish this expansion? We only get a dev response about once a month (if lucky) and our feedback ignored 99% of the time!
Sjaandi HyShan
Overheated Industries
#122 - 2014-10-09 02:55:53 UTC
This will really help make Eve more accessible and ease the transition from normal MMOs! Big smile
Eli Stan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#123 - 2014-10-09 03:12:29 UTC
CCP Frellicus wrote:
Hi space friends,
Thanks for the great response so far makes working on this that much more enjoyable Big smile

Very nice features, thank you. o7 I've played with the bookmarks in space on SISI and wholly approve, although I haven't had enough time with it to give meaningful feedback. In the meantime, I had a thought about how this could be expanded slightly - can you show brackets for on-grid fleet members who are cloaked? The lore already supports the idea of knowing the location of cloaked fleet members, via the Warp To command. Like bookmarks, they wouldn't be lockable, and wouldn't show on the overview. This opens up further tactical maneuvers for fleets during fights - well, voice comms can convey this info now, but nearly as well.
Cpt Lift-Leg Ahab
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#124 - 2014-10-09 03:44:40 UTC
CCP Phantom wrote:
The Sensor Overlay is a nice way to be aware of your surroundings and on what is going on in space. We now would like to improve this feature and add more objects in space to the Sensor Overlay, along with filtering options and a new compass view. These new objects include personal and corporation bookmarks, agent objectives, landmarks and more.

Check out CCP Lebowski's latest dev blog Sensor Overlay 2.0: Bigger, Better, Bookmarks in Spacier! for all the exciting details!

CCP Phantom-my newLolBig smile favorite Dev!
Saisin
Chao3's Rogue Operatives Corp
#125 - 2014-10-09 04:10:38 UTC
Excellent improvements!

can we also haz the ability to have the camera align to bookmarks when clicked in space?

Vote Borat Guereen for CSM XII

Check out the Minarchist Space Project

Celesae
Clan Shadow Wolf
Tactical Narcotics Team
#126 - 2014-10-09 05:38:20 UTC
Yes! I have been saying this for years, THANK YOU!
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#127 - 2014-10-09 05:45:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Schmata Bastanold
Wait, I will be able to see my bookmarks in space?
Omg CCP you are killing Eve by making UI usable and interactive!

Dudes and dudettes involved in this: +1000 internet cookies for ya!

And shortcut for making bookmarks? C'mon guys... That's getting ridiculous.
Stop trying to make me undock!

Invalid signature format

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#128 - 2014-10-09 05:48:46 UTC
Aurora Fatalis wrote:
Something that would go extremely well with this change:

The ability to open the star/system map in a collapsible window.

I use multiple monitors for my single character, and while I would love to navigate the system by the F11 mini-map, it's just too fiddly and small. On the other hand, the non-mini map spends takes up all three monitors and spends time loading. If we could have the map open on its own monitor, it would be extremely convenient, and together with Bookmarks in Space it would provide a unified sense of position in space.

Pretty please <3

Ideally, any window or widget would be able to be undocked and put anywhere and on any monitor you choose... like a desktop gadget. Chat, overview, map, notifications.... any number of things would benefit people with multiple monitors and free up tremendous amounts of screen real estate in your main gaming window.

Of course, like most wonderful ideas, doing it is far more difficult than saying it. Smile

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Rammix
TheMurk
#129 - 2014-10-09 05:55:44 UTC
CCP Phantom wrote:
The Sensor Overlay is a nice way to be aware of your surroundings and on what is going on in space. We now would like to improve this feature and add more objects in space to the Sensor Overlay, along with filtering options and a new compass view. These new objects include personal and corporation bookmarks, agent objectives, landmarks and more.

Check out CCP Lebowski's latest dev blog Sensor Overlay 2.0: Bigger, Better, Bookmarks in Spacier! for all the exciting details!

If this is as good as it looks, then this update will be the best thing for about couple of years. I hope other changes coming alongside in the release (Phoebe?) won't spoil it.

OpenSUSE Leap 42.1, wine >1.9

Covert cyno in highsec: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=296129&find=unread

The Hessian
Hessian Holding
#130 - 2014-10-09 05:56:01 UTC
I noticed that after the change only one "create new bookmark" window can be open at the same time (tried both Ctrl-B and the New BM button in P&P).
When I used to do bookmark sets for whole regions I used the time in-warp and while buring to the pingspot to already open a couple of windows and pre-enter the names for the BMs to create in so I could simply click&complete them once I reached the intended location. Most of the time I had like 8-10 windows open.
MWsx
WSX Corporation
#131 - 2014-10-09 06:55:30 UTC
This UI should be in EVE since day 1 Big smile . I like it so much that you can now remove every jumpdrive for all I care CoolBlink
DetKhord Saisio
Seniors Clan
#132 - 2014-10-09 07:05:20 UTC
Overall, great changes. I do have one suggestion for bookmark creation. Slow-crawling thru space to create bookmarks can be tedious, therefore I think the ability to create a bookmark of any location on-grid with you might help. Intention of this is good, but I am sure someone will figure out how to use this for doing very bad things. ;) lol

On Grid Bookmark:
- point your ship in any direction in space
- create bookmark, Ctrl-B
- in new bookmark window, set distance from ship for new bookmark location
- type numbers 1 thru 850; vector is current direction your ship is pointed/moving
- click ok to save new bookmark 850km away from your current location *(or whatever max on-grid distance is)

*afaik, max on-grid distance is ~850 km. So if that is not max grid distance, set to whatever max on-grid distance is for creating new bookmark.
Carniflex
StarHunt
Mordus Angels
#133 - 2014-10-09 07:06:04 UTC
I did not see it mentioned in the devblog so a question:

Will it be possible to see also these new overlay thingies in the overview?

The main reason why I am not using them atm is that I cant be arsed to spin around to see them, besides, most of my space view is anyway covered by far more important things, like, for example, 20+ open chat channels. As I play eve more or less solely through the list thing in the right it has irritated me since introduction of this feature that it has not been possible to add it there.

Here, sanity... niiiice sanity, come to daddy... okay, that's a good sanity... THWONK! GOT the bastard.

Syrias Bizniz
some random local shitlords
#134 - 2014-10-09 07:28:58 UTC
Absoltely kickass.
Memran
F.U.N. Inc.
The Ancients.
#135 - 2014-10-09 07:30:29 UTC
This is great. All features are positive, and zero negatives! Big smile
Brystina
Serenity Rising LLC
Controlled Chaos
#136 - 2014-10-09 07:31:11 UTC
DetKhord Saisio wrote:
Overall, great changes. I do have one suggestion for bookmark creation. Slow-crawling thru space to create bookmarks can be tedious, therefore I think the ability to create a bookmark of any location on-grid with you might help. Intention of this is good, but I am sure someone will figure out how to use this for doing very bad things. ;) lol

On Grid Bookmark:
- point your ship in any direction in space
- create bookmark, Ctrl-B
- in new bookmark window, set distance from ship for new bookmark location
- type numbers 1 thru 850; vector is current direction your ship is pointed/moving
- click ok to save new bookmark 850km away from your current location *(or whatever max on-grid distance is)

*afaik, max on-grid distance is ~850 km. So if that is not max grid distance, set to whatever max on-grid distance is for creating new bookmark.

Don't necessarily agree w/ this one, this gives anyone the ability to instawarp to opponents location. I.e. someone ongrid, but over 100k out... point to them, quickly create bookmark, warp, pew-pew ensues.
Red Deck
The Tebo Corp
#137 - 2014-10-09 07:44:46 UTC
Awesome changes/additions!

Love every bit of this devblog.
Ezio Dicostanzo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#138 - 2014-10-09 07:55:36 UTC
Loving it ! Questions:

* WILL WE EVER HAVE BOOKMARKS VISIBLE IN THE OVERVIEW ?
Is it in the pipe? or it's something CCP doesn't want to do ?
* What's the point of showing "space north" ? Who cares? What's the added value for everyone ? No one cared before, why should we care now?

thanks a lot dudes
Llawa
Perkone
Caldari State
#139 - 2014-10-09 08:14:02 UTC
Excellent!
Syrias Bizniz
some random local shitlords
#140 - 2014-10-09 08:35:37 UTC
Ezio Dicostanzo wrote:

* WILL WE EVER HAVE BOOKMARKS VISIBLE IN THE OVERVIEW ?

Do it feggits!