These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[PROPOSAL] Support Avatar Gameplay As a Means of Increasing Immersion

First post First post
Author
Sera Kor-Azor
Amarrian Mission of the Sacred Word
#161 - 2015-06-06 11:51:58 UTC
Aelavaine wrote:
Who of us believe politicians who say they never will increase taxes? Who believes CCP who says or not, doesn't matter, they never will implement features of WiS?

It's business. If you can make money with it, who cares what someone else said before. You can always blame your predecessor, say he/she was an idiot and had no idea. Now I have the say and I say we do this! That's how it works.

However, this is true as well. Even though CCP has clearly stated (as shown in my previous post above) that they have quite clearly NOT abandoned walking in stations for good, it doesn't necessarily mean they will never change their minds. People change, situations change, and policies must change to reflect that.

"A manu dei e tet rimon" - I am the devoted hand of the divine God.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#162 - 2015-06-06 12:32:15 UTC
Aelavaine wrote:

Who of us believe politicians who say they never will increase taxes? Who believes CCP who says or not, doesn't matter, they never will implement features of WiS?

"The only authority that matters doesn't really matter because it doesn't agree with me."

Brilliant. Roll

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Sera Kor-Azor
Amarrian Mission of the Sacred Word
#163 - 2015-06-06 13:09:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Sera Kor-Azor
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Aelavaine wrote:

"The only authority that matters doesn't really matter because it doesn't agree with me."

Brilliant. Roll

Did you read the original post? Aelavaine was saying (I am paraphasing) that just because someone says "I'm stuffed, I could not eat another bite!" today, doesn't mean that they won't change their minds about the possibility of being hungry in the future.

Also,

are you repeatedly,

deliberately,

intentionally,

and purposely

ALWAYS missing this?

Quote:
It's been four years since Incarna came out, was started, and then abandoned. Since that time,

CCP Seagull has said that they got over their Incarna 'fear', and are willing to re-investigate such things as walking in stations. EVE blogs are still discussing WiS even today. After all, with everything else already explored and developed, 'walking in stations' really is the last and final frontier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ajnxq65D220

CCP Ned Coker says: “Incarna and avatar gameplay is definitely NOT shelved indefinitely, it’s just not being worked on actively in full production right now.”

http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/08/eve-online-incarna-content-definitely-not-shelved/

"A manu dei e tet rimon" - I am the devoted hand of the divine God.

Aelavaine
Aelavaine's Corporation
#164 - 2015-06-06 13:54:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Aelavaine
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Aelavaine wrote:

Brilliant. Roll

Aelavaine wrote:

It's business. If you can make money with it, who cares what someone else said before. You can always blame your predecessor, say he/she was an idiot and had no idea. Now I have the say and I say we do this! That's how it works.

You want more than spinning ships? Support Avatar Gameplay!

Jack Carrigan
Order of the Shadow
#165 - 2015-06-07 01:57:00 UTC
I love when people ignore certain factors because it damages their standpoint.

I am the One who exists in Shadow. I am the Devil your parents warned you about.

||CEO: Order of the Shadow||Executor: The Revenant Order||Creator: Bowhead||

Catt Stevens
Karusaka Family
#166 - 2015-06-08 17:01:07 UTC
+1
Erinn Knight
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#167 - 2015-06-12 00:13:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Erinn Knight
+1
Erinn Knight
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#168 - 2015-06-12 00:22:48 UTC
Isis Dea wrote:
All the points listed here. EVE's alienating a demographic that doesn't want to me a part of trollish alliances and communities (which is what fills the majority of the 'internet spaceships' community). There's those of us who miss the dark dystopia of what EVE once was within it's own lore and not sucking the [insert] of the players to provide it instead.

That's the EVE that was further promised within Incarna, minus the cash shop elements (WHICH HAVE HAPPENED REGARDLESS).

The door was supposed to open the way for that.

The only reason we DON'T more support for this stuff and what diversity we had in the old character editor is because CCP continues to express it doesn't give two f***s for the role-player/single-player/lore-immersive crowd.

+1 for all of this.

this a thousand times this
Aina Aideron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#169 - 2015-06-19 15:27:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Aina Aideron
I like the idea started in this tread.

Having read all the replies it is understandable that a purpose is asked for. It should allow for something more than the UI today, something that would make ripples going outside of the stations.

Having thought about what this purpose could be, I have some ideas.

One purpose for a new UI system would be in the interaction with other players who are in the same station as you, so that these places would be a meeting ground. The channels are currently the way of meeting, and when in a station it is in the local channel that this is possible, but it is not so "precise", it is also for the local system you are in as a whole. Today this serves as a purpose for communication of everything that is happening in the local system outside of corporations and alliances and except direct player to player.

It can be a hurdle to meeting players, outside of corps and alliances. Most communication happening is in a way "restricted" to be in and between corporations and alliances.

So a benefit of an in station open world UI would be a system to facilitate meeting other docked players in an informal way, one thing it could lead to are new acquaintances, but it could also open up other possibilities.

I imagine when docking at a station, from the captains quarters there will be a choice to go out into an "open world" UI, skipping the walking if you want to, where you can see all other docked players plus possibly npc's in a station's concourse or centre.

From the open-world UI it would be several different places you could choose to participate in. Walking would take you between these areas, that could be venues for meeting NPC's, bars, clubs, shops and trading offices, for example. Or you could skip the walking just selecting one of the places, directly from your quarters. These places in their own wouldn't be the most important thing here, it is what they facilitate.

The design of these areas itself would in many cases probably have to be different from the open world one and not even being linked to the concourse or centre, though it is here where you would simultaneously see all of the characters currently not being in a scene. Though meeting NPC's could be in the same third person view, engaging in local live trading/selling, could be a local dedicated trading channel (reminiscent of how the local channel works today when being in Dodixie, Amarr and the other trade hubs). If anything, this would free the local channel for general purposes, especially when being in one of these trade hubs, though for these places in particular I guess people mostly come to just to buy and sell.

(The section below needs to be referred in the light of some good points written in post 37)

Someone earlier said he would like more options for posture and gait, I agree in this. This would give at least partly a way to show how your character is feeling. Some common emotes of the least personal ones could also be implemented, I can think of two but likely more will work, one is saluting in the military way and the other already exists, which is sitting down. Running should not be an emote though, those in a hurry could instead choose the place they want to go directly from a menu. Like someone also said, actions works better than expressions, which is probably due to that they aren't so personal.

A system I have had in mind for the more personal expressions, is that when entering the open world UI, you can choose to fill out a line of text describing how you feel and another line what you are doing at the moment, though these can be changed at any time, used only sometimes or always left blank if you just want use time on the text you are communicating. If I choose to use these fields, I could write "worried" and "looking at a screen", then in the open world UI, if you walked up to me and faced in my direction, two lines of text would appear on top of your screen (which could be called the "Expressions and actions area") "She looks worried" or just the word "Worried", or if I am in your contacts list, you see my name "Aina Aideron looks worried", this would represent your impression of my expression. The other line you would see on your screen is "(she is) looking at a screen" (what I am doing at the moment). If you invite me to start a conversation and I accept, both you and I would get a window containing three places to write, one for expressions, one for actions and one for text (saying). Though if preferred one can choose to only use the text field. I could write in the expression field, "appreciative", the actions field "turns" and in the text, or say, field "Hi, thank you for coming up to me". When I press send, the text "She looks appreciative" or just "Appreciative" and "turns" would appear on top of your screen. The text for what I say appear at the same time but next to my character. Then depending on your response I would get an expression text, actions text and talk text to your character on my screen. The next time I enter an expression and action, and write something back and press send, my earlier expression, action and saying would be replaced on your screen with what I entered now. This would replace the private conversation text window while in the open world UI. It would also work with more than two people at the same time. It would also work with npc's.

This system would also open up some other possibilities. Apart from a meeting ground, another purpose of the new UI would be as a part of a political system that could involve among other things meeting npc's firsthand. Not primarily to receive missions or rewards from agents, but to gain influence with them and their corps. Meeting firsthand can often be more convincing.

A new UI system should be able to evolve. And it should perhaps also have to make sense in regard to Valkyrie and, Legion and Dust, though I don't know if there are any plans of merging EVE with them.
Jack Carrigan
Order of the Shadow
#170 - 2015-06-19 18:19:36 UTC
Interesting idea.

I am the One who exists in Shadow. I am the Devil your parents warned you about.

Minxee
Perkone
Caldari State
#171 - 2015-06-21 07:41:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Minxee
WIS as slated was to limited and had no impact on new Eden. Rather than having dust as a separate game it should be part of eve, even if you have to make a seperate team or integrate the current dust team to do it.

With this you could have landing on planets, fighting over land and fighting for stations as well as avatar based pve and a n almost seem less transistion between the two. As well as providing a more open world feeling to the dust experience.
Aina Aideron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#172 - 2015-06-21 13:00:55 UTC
Another idea that could work, though a bit dystopian, is that one would wear a suit similar to those in Dust514 (which works like the pod, to those who are unfamiliar with Dust), to protect yourself when in a place where others are. After all one would be completely vulnerable out of the pod, even if weapons were forbidden in common areas. This suit would not be a military fitted one, but instead a more design oriented one. Of course, the suit could be taken off, if you were in a private room with people you trust.

Alternatively, though this would only have to be part of the lore as an explanation, advanced systems like automatic weapons in the ceiling of common areas would monitor people, taking necessary steps if detecting signs of behaviour, to prevent assaulting. This would be an explanation to why if wouldn't be possible attack others.
Minxee
Perkone
Caldari State
#173 - 2015-06-21 20:26:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Minxee
Aina Aideron wrote:
Another idea that could work, though a bit dystopian, is that one would wear a suit similar to those in Dust514 (which works like the pod, to those who are unfamiliar with Dust), to protect yourself when in a place where others are. After all one would be completely vulnerable out of the pod, even if weapons were forbidden in common areas. This suit would not be a military fitted one, but instead a more design oriented one. Of course, the suit could be taken off, if you were in a private room with people you trust.

Alternatively, though this would only have to be part of the lore as an explanation, advanced systems like automatic weapons in the ceiling of common areas would monitor people, taking necessary steps if detecting signs of behaviour, to prevent assaulting. This would be an explanation to why if wouldn't be possible attack others.

Actually in dust it is an implant that does the mind transfer, not the suit so you could be killed without the suit and be ok.. since your avatar that leaves the ship has this implant.

So if you were to land on a planet and go roaming, your pod clone would remain in the ship which would be stored safe in your planetary hanger similar to docking in space.

You would get out of your ship but only in so much as you would transfer your mind from the pod clone into the merc clone which would be wearing a dropsuit. This could be in response to a contract for mercs to attack/defend an installation (be is a sov thing or faction warfare) or to hunt a drone infestation on a world, or some mission you have received from an agent.

As far as Walking in Stations - the feature would have far more relevance if you were fighting (inside) for the station in a sov war or a structure in a highsec wardec or pve exploring ancient structures, again dieing wouldn't matter as your clone has the mind transfer implant and ships could always have a Clone unit which allows you to choose where you want to respawn as long as you have a ship docked there .
Delt0r Garsk
Shits N Giggles
#174 - 2015-06-22 08:40:59 UTC
Wow yet another WiS threads with a eve is dying undertoons. I am shocked i tell you. Shocked!

People really don't understand just the massive amount of dev time and sheer cash that would be needed. Your asking for a full extra MMO bolted on the side that is suppose to interact with a single shard space MMO.

WoW, with billions of dollars and no space ships to deal with and mulitpule servers around the world couldn't do it. Despite the mostly solo-small group mission play, they had to switch to phases to fix server issues. Don't underestimate the massive amount of work this would be.

And no Star Citizen is *not* an MMO. It is lots of smaller servers with very limited interaction, like dozen of people at once. Not thousands or 10s of thousands. Oh and it is quite frankly vaporware right now. A few modules a game does not make.

Doing WiS they way people want is a project of comparable size to writing an entire MMO. That is how expensive it would be, that is how much bugs and dev time it would be. that how big a dedicated art department would need to be for the assets.

Oh yea this sort of thing is my day job.

AKA the scientist.

Death and Glory!

Well fun is also good.

Minxee
Perkone
Caldari State
#175 - 2015-06-22 16:06:11 UTC
Delt0r Garsk wrote:
Wow yet another WiS threads with a eve is dying undertoons. I am shocked i tell you. Shocked!

People really don't understand just the massive amount of dev time and sheer cash that would be needed. Your asking for a full extra MMO bolted on the side that is suppose to interact with a single shard space MMO.

WoW, with billions of dollars and no space ships to deal with and mulitpule servers around the world couldn't do it. Despite the mostly solo-small group mission play, they had to switch to phases to fix server issues. Don't underestimate the massive amount of work this would be.

And no Star Citizen is *not* an MMO. It is lots of smaller servers with very limited interaction, like dozen of people at once. Not thousands or 10s of thousands. Oh and it is quite frankly vaporware right now. A few modules a game does not make.

Doing WiS they way people want is a project of comparable size to writing an entire MMO. That is how expensive it would be, that is how much bugs and dev time it would be. that how big a dedicated art department would need to be for the assets.

Oh yea this sort of thing is my day job.

Perhaps you have heard of dust514 it's a free to play mmoshooter by ccp. The infrastructure for said game is already in place and the game needs porting to a newer platform. CCP were intending to do just this a year back.

Expands on WIS by making it into dust. The majority of art assets already exist, the skilltrees would need moving to eve and the backend tech is already there. It's not my day job but given time I don't see the issue.
Aina Aideron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#176 - 2015-06-22 16:27:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Aina Aideron
Delt0r Garsk wrote:

I wish I knew more about game development. I had thought that it would become difficult if it got too large. In this case it would be many small worlds from station to station, and not a big world together.

Keeping the worlds small is also partly the reason why I suggested several different places per station. Each of these would be separate places, if you entered one you would leave another you were in, and not be visible in the one you left. This would further limit the number of people active in one place at a time. If 50 people was the maximum number of people together in one station, and 15 people in one of the places, that would be very nice. Though in the most visited stations this would be difficult, with hundreds of people docked, but here maybe identical areas could be opened, avoiding queuing. The stations interiors could be similar from station to station, with differences only in the four empires stations, which would limit the amount of interiors to make. The interiors would also not need to be huge places and could be expanded gradually.

Basically what I wish to see is something like an in-station version of the coming Legion, with a relatively seamless transition between flying the ships and entering this part. Though I mainly want to see these places as meeting places and for doing different tasks, the possibility for fps could be in contested stations, like places for factional warfare or where sovreignity is under dispute.
Jack Carrigan
Order of the Shadow
#177 - 2015-06-25 18:24:43 UTC
Good to see this conversation is still going.

Aina Aideron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#178 - 2015-06-28 17:53:48 UTC
Since my last post I have spent a good deal of time asking myself if there needed to be content in these open places which could make up a new areas in the stations, or just be open places for player interaction with no special content.

My imagined conclusion is that it needs to be additional content, something that would be interesting for as many as possible. Additionally, I think it is important that a new open area directly or indirectly has the possibility to affect what happens in eve as a whole. Specifically, that people sometimes would make different choices in EVE because of something that happened in a new open area setting, than they would have done without it. And sometimes even in those cases the same choices would have been made, that they felt these choices more rewarding because of it.

These are the four biggest draws that I believe people will find an open player area interesting, that I can think of for the moment:

Show wearable items one has bought, received or got as missions rewards. Though nothing too special or over the top, it is the variation that is interesting and should be encouraged. Though if you complete difficult missions, the value or rarity of the rewards could be reflected, for example with medals and markings. High standings with one of the four navys and a high security status could maybe be shown with special rank symbols. All items should also be eve-related.

Receive certain sensitive missions having to be delivered in person, to avoid hacking of the information if it was to be sent electronically (I remember a distribution mission where this was the case, the information contained in the boxes had to be freighted not sent electronically, so it would make sense in the eve universe).

The opportunity to meet people you know and see if there are people you want to get to know.

Different music from what is usually in eve, and you can only hear it in these places!
Delt0r Garsk
Shits N Giggles
#179 - 2015-06-29 13:09:51 UTC
Draws the most players? What? The current group of eve players don't want WiS. I am one of them. Outside the 10mins of novelty they become a tedious pain in the arse. We would turn it off and if we couldn't we demand a turn off option. When i want to converse with players, i do. In team speak or at fanfest, or just down the road at a real pub. A virtual congregation room does and achieves nothing.

If people wanted virtual bars and stuff. They wouldn't be playing eve. They would play second life. Or even worse. Star Citizen (not a MMO for the record).

And yet the amount of work is still staggering. How many artists and designers are going to be needed for all the modeling work? Yea its quite a bit of work. A lot. And no Dust51 whatever is not comparable. Since it is much smaller scale.

AKA the scientist.

Death and Glory!

Well fun is also good.

Aina Aideron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#180 - 2015-06-29 15:08:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Aina Aideron
I agree, it should not be necessary to visit these places, it should be for those interested. Just like Dust514 are, and Legion and Valkyrie will be. But as a difference to these ones, I think playing eve should be necessary in order to visit this setting.

When I wrote "that draws the most players" I didn't mean that the majority of eve players would be interested, rather the potentially most, be that few or many.

People should have an option to using team speak and these places as meeting places will be what people will make of it, in the setting of EVE, which only EVE can offer.

The scale of Dust and the upcoming Legion is what I am suggesting, as these open places will be separated ones from station to station, not a big world.

You may be right that many in the current group of eve players are against it, but I don't think all of them are. But the coming group of eve players, which will consist of both the current one and a new one, where the group of new ones might be bigger and find the game having even more depth, if it offers additional settings, like Dust, Legion, Valkyrie and hopefully this one.