These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

5 advices every new guy should follow.

First post
Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#61 - 2014-09-29 18:38:58 UTC
Austrene Kanenald wrote:
Tippia wrote:
If someone says “don't do X before you have Y”, punch them in the throat so they stop saying things — it's far kinder than they deserve, but hey, sometimes you just have to be generous.

Also, see sig.

Don't fly Executioners before you have amarr frigate I. Come on, punch me!
Also, I like your skill plan.

You know, if you manage to fly an Executioner before you have Amarr Frigate I, you definitely should. Blink

So no punching for you.
Nevil Oscillator
#62 - 2014-09-29 20:08:21 UTC
1 Stop trying to kill other players right outside the station with your rookie ship
2 Get a new ship
3 Stop trying to kill other players right outside the station with your new ship
4 Make some ISK
5 Get a new ship
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#63 - 2014-09-29 20:28:47 UTC
Nevil Oscillator wrote:
1 Stop trying to kill other players right outside the station with your rookie ship
2 Get a new ship
3 Stop trying to kill other players right outside the station with your new ship
4 Make some ISK
5 Get a new ship

I see we have discovered station gamesLol
RomeStar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#64 - 2014-09-29 20:32:10 UTC
Join Brave Newbies and all your questions will be answered.

Signatured removed, CCP Phantom

SghnDubh
BattleClinic
#65 - 2014-09-29 22:34:44 UTC
Use BattleClinic for killboard intel.
Use EVEMon.
Post loadouts to BattleClinic and get advice.
Fight Smart!
Take every single post on EVE-O with a pinch of salt.
Solecist Project
#66 - 2014-09-29 23:28:30 UTC
SghnDubh wrote:
Use BattleClinic and the more relevant zkill for killboard intel.
Use EVEMon.
Ignore loadouts on BattleClinic and get advice from somewhere else.
Fight Smart!
Take every single post on EVE-O with a pinch of salt.

Fixed that for you.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Ila Dace
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2014-09-29 23:38:15 UTC
Awesome enough for copy-pasta... original by Zoum (link immediately below)

Join a Corporation
by Zoum

Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of 2013... Join a Corporation. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, joining a corporation would be it. The long term fun to be had by joining a corporation has been proved by scientists, Whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

I will dispense this advice, now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your frigate. Never mind, you will not understand the power and beauty of a well-fit frigate until you're well into a terribly-fit battleship. But trust me, in 20 million skill points you'll look back at your Rifter and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility really lay before you and how fabulous it really was.

You are not as skilled as you imagine.

Don't worry about losing ships, or worry but know that worrying is as effective as trying to out mine a 10-Hulk mining bot operation in an Osprey.

The times you'll really lose ships are apt to be times that never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you 4 jumps through a high-sec autopilot route.

Do one thing, every logon, that scares you.

Align.

Don't be reckless with other people's ISK (and get caught), don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

D-Scan.

Don't waste your time on nerd rage; sometimes you're ahead, most of the time you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with your own inability to unsubscribe.

Remember the times your fleet came out on top. Forget the times that you lost a faction fit ship. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old kill mails. Throw away your old loss mails.

Train AWU 5.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your character. The most interesting capsuleers I know didn't know at 2.2m SP what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40m SP characters I know still don't. And besides, there's always the character bazaar.

Upgrade your clone.

Be kind to your reputation... you'll miss it when it's gone.

Maybe you'll go to null sec, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll start a WH corp, and maybe you won't. Maybe you'll get scammed out of your first billion ISK, and maybe you'll do the happy-chicken-dance on comms when you get your first Titan KM. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody elses.

Enjoy your fits, use them every way you can, don't be afraid of them, or what other people think of them. Quite frankly they probably suck at fitting too.

PVP: Even if you have nowhere else to do it but RvB.

Read the right-click menu, even if you're sure what you want isn't there.

Do. Not. Read. The. EVE. Forums. They will only make you feel bitter.

Get to know your Corp mates. You’ll never know when they’ll awox.

Be kind to your FC’s. They’re the best link to your PVP and the most likely to stick with you during a hot drop.

Understand friends come and go. But for for a special few you should hold on.

Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and time zones. For the more war decs you get, the more you’ll need people to fleet up..

Live in New Caldari once, but leave before it makes you soft. Live in Lowsec once, but leave before it makes you hard.

Roam.

Accept certain, inalienable truths:

Jita will scam.

FCs will welp fleets.

You too, will become a bitter vet. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when YOU were young:

People really doubled your isk.

FCs were capable.

and there were no spies.

There were always spies.

Don’t expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a sweet BPO collection, maybe you have a Trade alt, but you never know when either one might get robbed.

Don’t mess too much with your remaps, or in two months you'll be stuck mapped CHA/INT/PER for the next year.

Be careful whose contracts you accept, but be patient with those who supply them. Contracts are a useful form of trade, and using them is a way of fishing the old crap out of the corporate hangar, dusting it off, lying about where you got it from and selling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on joining a corporation.

If House played Eve: http://i.imgur.com/y7ShT.jpg

But in purple, I'm stunning!

Jur Tissant
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#68 - 2014-09-30 12:46:26 UTC
Specifically scam-related:

1) If it looks too good to be true, it's a scam
1b) If it looks too good to be true and it's not a scam, it's a scam
1c) If it looks too good to be true and they can prove it's not a scam, it's a scam
2) If it's a PLEX in a contract, it's a scam
3) If it's an officer/deadspace module, it's a scam
4) If it's a time-sensitive offer, it's a scam
5) Always sort price low->high.

I recently paid 500mil for a Probe because I was distracted. Don't be like me.
STSxLight
Blue Republic
RvB - BLUE Republic
#69 - 2014-09-30 13:08:47 UTC
1. Learn to PVE
2. Learn to PVP
3. Learn to Lead
4 Learn to Follow
5 Learn to Adapt

"Oh, you think nullsec is your ally. But you merely adopted nullsec; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!"

my eve youtube channel  http://www.youtube.com/user/stsxlight/videos

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#70 - 2014-09-30 13:11:22 UTC
Personal five... err, six.

1) Do the tutorials, and actually read what they have to say. It helps.
2) Your ship will explode, it's just a matter of time. When you first undock it accept this and make it your goal to make enough isk with it to replace it before it goes boom, if you can.
3) Do not undock with assets you cannot afford to replace; ideally you should already have the replacement sitting in your hangar already before you launch.
4) Fun is more important than ISK. If EVE boils down to just being a numbers game you are going to eventually lose interest and quit. Find things that entertain you and do those, even if they don't make mad isk for you.
5) Trust is a commodity. I'm not saying don't trust others, but use caution in how much trust you are willing to extend. There are those who exist solely to abuse trust easily given, and those who will have your back to the end. It's a global game and you are bound to meet all sorts of people while playing it.
6) Play with others! EvE is beautiful, complex, massive, and overwhelming. There's no way you can do it all, all by yourself. You will need other people in order to get the most out her. Make friends and contacts and work together to achieve common goals.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Nevil Oscillator
#71 - 2014-09-30 23:15:50 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:

I see we have discovered station gamesLol

It's just my uncanny ability to imagine what showing newbs how to play is like. Unfortunately the inner child inside medied long ago and I have never engaged in such activities. In real life I look like your character.

Ila Dace wrote:

You are not as skilled as you imagine.

I see someone else went to the Baz Luhrmann Centre for Mind Reading
Rennie theMuckster
The Honest Militant
#72 - 2014-09-30 23:52:47 UTC
1. Totally immerse yourself in Eve. Make it your LIFE!
2. If someone ganks you scream and yell and throw a tantrum as loud as you can. They CAN hear you and you'll feel better for it.
3. Further let yourself feel totally whatever Eve does to you and let yourself express those feelings.
4. Dont let anybody fool you. It's NOT a game.
5. This is it. This is for real.
TwistedTwistedTwistedEvil
( now where did I put that Thorazine....did one of you mess with my thorazine again???)
Kerono Thalmor
Band of Buggered
#73 - 2014-10-01 00:11:40 UTC
I will give you ten.

1) If it looks too good to be true, it is definitely a scam.
2) Never sell below cost. This includes opportunity cost.
3) Don't be afraid of lowsec, or it will eat your head off. It will do so anyway, of course, but if you're unafraid and take the time to learn, you'll keep your head for longer.
4) Never fly what you can't afford to lose. Bling != a good fit, and PLEX in a cargo hold is asking to be ganked.
5) Study everything. Even if you don't think you'll ever need to use your knowledge on the exact formula for mining yield, study the hell out of it. You will always need a back up plan.
6) Adapt or die, rinse, repeat.
7) Everyone is out to get you.
8) New Eden is a harsh, cold universe where no one can hear you scream because you're in space. It will not give a damn if you slip up and lose your Fleet Tempest to rats, so stop crying and move on.
9) You're immortal. Stop crying about losing your ship and your pod, because...
10) Everything is replaceable, even your corpmates.

█░█░███░███░█░█

███░░█░░██░░█░█

█░█░░█░░█░░░███

Demica Diaz
SE-1
#74 - 2014-10-01 08:31:23 UTC
Dont mission. Getting that shiny Battleship and start level 4 missions. That activity will make you quit EVE before christmas.

Do not PLEX. Grinding ISK just to pay for month rent of playing grinding ISK. Its a trap! (I dont think new player can earn enough ISK without proper grind early on)

Dont go to Null Sec. Low Sec, where the fun is.

Wormholes are Japanese suicide forests for new player. You go there expecting to die by player or NPC alike.

Exploration is not exploration. Its hacking towers/ruins and looting cans from places that look exactly same in every single part of EVE.

There are no two players in your system. Its just one with an alt. EVE is game of alt accounts but you dont really need one to play EVE.
Mithandra
B.O.P Supplication For Glorious
Dracarys.
#75 - 2014-10-01 10:46:49 UTC
1. Remember that the game is not youcentric

2. Take the long view, eve will not pander to your impatience

3. Take all advice with good cheer, then analyse the crap out of it and verify with at least three other sources.

4. Do not be afraid of losing ships. If you refuse to risk, you wont make the isk.

5. Join Serene Vendetta as soon as you can.... gah, sorry, force of habit there.

5. Try everything at least once, more if you like it and bugger what anyone else says.

Eve is the dark haired, totally hot emo gothchild of the gaming community

Derrick Miles
Death Rabbit Ky Oneida
#76 - 2014-10-01 10:54:28 UTC
1) Play with others, not just yourself

2) Without risk there is no reward

3) Never trust anything in Jita local

4) Don't be afraid to try new things

5) No matter what people say, play Eve your own way
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#77 - 2014-10-01 11:03:15 UTC
Derrick Miles wrote:
1) Play with others, not just yourself

Blink
malcovas Henderson
THoF
#78 - 2014-10-01 13:11:26 UTC
1. EvE is not WoW

2. EvE is PvP orientated.

3. Your tears makes matters worse

4. Grow a pair

5. Don't listen to Carebears.

o7
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#79 - 2014-10-01 13:17:51 UTC
My advice of the day: get a bumper sticker that says "honk if you think I'm sexy"

Then wait at a set of green traffic lights until you feel better about yourself.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Nevil Oscillator
#80 - 2014-10-01 13:38:43 UTC
Aura is really a spy