These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Language Chat Channel Consolidation With Oceanus

First post First post First post
Author
Johnny Punisher
Malakim Zealots
Angel Cartel
#101 - 2014-09-25 13:37:54 UTC
I wrote a longer message where I explained why this is so bad idea, but used ingame browser to try to post it so of course it got deleted. So long story short:

This is bad idea ccp!
Beetlesquawk Darkscream
Doomheim
#102 - 2014-09-25 13:46:49 UTC
Good riddence
Catherine Kestrel
Everyone vs Everything
#103 - 2014-09-25 15:05:35 UTC
Just recruit more staff and from different countries so you can cover each of that language. Oh sorry you dont have money already... you didnt even finish World of Darkness.

You are losing more and more players. Kazzak realm in WoW have more players then EVE in overall. :D And I didnt mention new Arche Age.
Hra Neuvosto
Party Cat Enterprises
#104 - 2014-09-25 16:00:50 UTC
I already said this is a horrible change earlier in the thread.

But I'm gonna say it again.
Seraph Essael
Air
The Initiative.
#105 - 2014-09-25 16:08:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Seraph Essael
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Yes, because (insert power bloc) naturally will share their (insert language) channel with everybody else... right?
Who the hell said anything about Powerblocks? Since when did this become a grr goons thread or grr nullblocks have too much projected power.

If there are (using the Germans as an example here) already 300-500 people in the German chat channel that you all use, consolidate with them and make a new channel. It's not hard to work together for something like this. If you can't come to an agreement on who wants to run the damn channel that's for the common good of the people who speak that language, then simply go without...

It's not a good move by CCP at all, I don't agree with it. But unfortunately you guys are just going to have to put aside your egos and work together to create a channel.

Quoted from Doc Fury: "Concerned citizens: Doc seldom plays EVE on the weekends during spring and summer, so you will always be on your own for a couple days a week. Doc spends that time collecting kittens for the on-going sacrifices, engaging in reckless outdoor activities, and speaking in the 3rd person."

lolcorpholder alt
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#106 - 2014-09-25 18:11:30 UTC
CCP, how about an answer to all the questions in this thread?
Sr Limaco
Surgical Harassment Works LTD.
#107 - 2014-09-25 19:04:05 UTC
Greetings capsuleers;

This is my first post and probably the last.

I have been an eve player for far more than seven years, and i have the good luck of speak in four languajes, English, Italian, Spanish and Basque, the last one my native languaje, that is not even represented in any channel in game. However, when i started at eve, as many other new players. I found in the Spanish channel, my second language, the most usefull tool to begining to enjoy, to experience and to socialize in this great game.

Others before and better than me, have listed why this hasty decision is such an stubborn idea, in short; It will be an immense lack for new players "out of the big four" to experience the game, and it won´t correct anyway the problems you say you are having with that channels.

But for me, personally, they forgot the main reason, the freedom of speech.

According to the eula all we know where the limits are to that freedom, and all we know which is the price of going across that limits in a public forum like that channels. However i will ever prefer and defend a public forum in which that freedom could be abused than a private forum, that will be the only alternative for those many players. Because we all know which is the difference between them.

In one i can say what I want even if it has a price, and in other I can say only what they me let to say.

And this is no good, amigo.

Not in real life, not even in a videogame. I won´t swallow whith this.

"Hizkuntza bat ez da galtzen ez dakitenek ikasten ez dutelako, dakitenek erabiltzen ez dutelako baizik"

Good bye, good luck.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#108 - 2014-09-25 19:13:09 UTC
Do you know what's going to be funny with this change?

99% of the victims will not know until it happens, because if they spoke enough English to read the warning, maybe they would not be using the non-supported language channels.

Darkblad
Doomheim
#109 - 2014-09-25 19:25:52 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Do you know what's going to be funny with this change?

99% of the victims will not know until it happens, because if they spoke enough English to read the warning, maybe they would not be using the non-supported language channels.

This. There's yet no note about this in the motd (of the German language channel - which is officially "supported"). Guess it's the same for the other languages, supported or not.
Removing anything that's currently in the motd of the 39 channels and placing a visible statement on this change into there should'nt be too hard to do.
Sticking to an english statement, if no one fluent in that language is available, might suffice for those unsupported language channels as they probably stick with the English Client version?

Or just drop it and those affected and not yet aware of that change.

NPEISDRIP

Morihei Akachi
Doomheim
#110 - 2014-09-25 19:56:24 UTC
Ok, constructive suggestion time. Since there've been no CCP responses to any of the concerns raised in this thread so far (or in the one on the German forums), we presumably have to assume that this is not something our friends in Reykjavik are prepared to negotiate about. Various people are creating alternatives already (Darkblad, Mai, etc.). But they're going to be hard to find. So if CCP are committed to this, the "channel finder" (such as it is) needs a massive overhaul. It needs to look and function like the fleet finder. People need to be able to advertise their private channels in it. (There is a "Player Channels" category, but I've no idea how to get a channel listed there.) There needs to be a language tag/filter. And there needs to be a function whereby you can vet people wanting to join. I'm calling on CCP to do this first, before shutting everyone down. At the very least, I'd like to be assured that something like this is in the pipeline.

"Enduring", "restrained" and "ample" as designations for starship components are foreign to the genre of high-tech science fiction and don’t belong in Eve Online. (And as for “scoped” …)

lolcorpholder alt
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#111 - 2014-09-25 20:02:12 UTC
Morihei Akachi wrote:
Ok, constructive suggestion time. Since there've been no CCP responses to any of the concerns raised in this thread so far (or in the one on the German forums), we presumably have to assume that this is not something our friends in Reykjavik are prepared to negotiate about. Various people are creating alternatives already (Darkblad, Mai, etc.). But they're going to be hard to find. So if CCP are committed to this, the "channel finder" (such as it is) needs a massive overhaul. It needs to look and function like the fleet finder. People need to be able to advertise their private channels in it. (There is a "Player Channels" category, but I've no idea how to get a channel listed there.) There needs to be a language tag/filter. And there needs to be a function whereby you can vet people wanting to join. I'm calling on CCP to do this first, before shutting everyone down. At the very least, I'd like to be assured that something like this is in the pipeline.

+1 this, keep the channels for at least until we have a proper alternative for it
Xeator
soldiers.fi
#112 - 2014-09-25 23:05:59 UTC
lolcorpholder alt wrote:
Morihei Akachi wrote:

+1 this, keep the channels for at least until we have a proper alternative for it

Why settle for some poor alternative? How about CCP solving the real issue of "politically motivated trolling" instead of making these rash decisions out of the blue?

Keep the channels!
Aldent Arkanon
Vulture Enterprises
Brotherhood of Spacers
#113 - 2014-09-26 00:07:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Aldent Arkanon
Awful, wasteful and unnecessary change. Don't see one decent reason why this is beneficial or should be done. You are shooting yourselves in the foot by doing this. Keep the channels!
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#114 - 2014-09-26 00:12:00 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
So you have trolls in a channel.

Let's close the channel and the problem is fixed.

Sorry, but wrong. Troll is still there and will just kmove to the next channel.

The Dutch channel was one of the first I joined amd still occasionally visit. It was of GREAT help when I just started the game.

Sorry CCP, but -10 on the idea. Just with this you made your next patch utterly stupid and ********. Really hope that instead of masking the problem with a dumb move you will solve it and leave la guage channels as they are.

Funny thing...CCP announces this on a forum, 6 pages of nothing but negative replies but no response from CCP on it.

I'm getting an Incarna Deja-vu. And we all remember how that turned out for CCP. But clearly they forgot that not listening to your customer that pays you is something you should do.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Finde learth
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#115 - 2014-09-26 00:13:24 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Good afternoon capsuleers Smile

Some of you who've been on Singularity may have noticed that the officially hosted language have vanished from the channel listing in the client.

Previously we've supported a total of 39 language channels in game, however over the course of the last 12 months or so we have had a rise in the number of complaints regarding politically motivated trolling and inappropriate content being displayed in them.

With most of these languages having no official support from CCP, this means that investigating and answering tickets of this nature from these channels is sometimes not possible due to a significant language barrier. This is contrary to our policy of moderating and enforcing our terms of service (in particular the sections on player conduct) in persistent CCP hosted channels within the EVE client.

As such, with Oceanus we'll be removing the officially hosted language based channels from the EVE Online client, and only the help channels for our officially supported languages will remain.

We'd like to let you all know in advance, and invite you to create your own player run language channels after the Oceanus release is deployed in order to continue discussions in your native languages if you wish to do so.

- F <3

CCP **** off me again.
Maybe it's time to leave EVE.
Beta Maoye
#116 - 2014-09-26 01:06:05 UTC
This is a very bad decision. It will do your company more harm than good.

Do you mean you don't want new players who speak Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Belarussian, Brazilian, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Faroese, Filipino, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Serbian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese?
Finde learth
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#117 - 2014-09-26 01:21:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Finde learth
When can CCP response?
Commander Nina Hanomaa
Chapter Six
Chapters.
#118 - 2014-09-26 05:15:15 UTC
CCP Rise & NPE should have one hell of a plan to repair the damage this change will do. I know for a fact that my corporation would be 2 members if we didn't have a public channel for my native language group. Blocking and/or reporting spammers has worked well for smaller chat channels. Instead of one week warning to shut down most of the channels, how about getting more ISDs to moderate the channels that do have problems?

Meanwhile, Corporation Ads don't have enough options:
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4284351
Naburi NasNaburi
Doomheim
#119 - 2014-09-26 05:17:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Naburi NasNaburi
I was talking to the husband about CCPs behavior and attitude as of lately. And we both came to the conclusion that since they started working with SOE they adapted their business model of: You're the customer but have no right to demand anything - all you have to do is pay.

We have been playing SOE games off and on (on and off) since 1999 and what springs to mind is the typical behavior of: Lets stay silent and not say a word, things will calm down and eventually be forgotten.

This was never your style CCP.. dont start with it now.

You see all these negative responses? ANSWER THEM!
Meja Ashtan
New Eden Advertisement
#120 - 2014-09-26 05:36:27 UTC
So, does this mean that after you quit our language channel, the first one to re-create it again with same name can pretty much dictate who is allowed to talk on these "new" language channels and on what cost?

I don't understand why you would do this to your community. Yeah, I can see that CCP don't want to babysit every chat channel, but this just feels like a d*ck move and makes things for new players very rough. Think about the folks who don't speak native english - you are literally telling them to figure out stuff on their own. And I assume I don't even have to mention what impact this has on recruiting new corp members.