These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

My EVE

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Who's a carebear?

First post
Author
Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#101 - 2011-11-26 03:59:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Poetic Stanziel
Ensign X wrote:
There aren't restrictive requirements about what you do in Eve University. Outside of war you can do what you want, when you want to do it...
You spend a lot of time in sov, do you?

(And for the record, I'm not fussed over the Uni rule that prohibits students from entering sov space ... just pointing out that you can't do everything you want, in war or out of war.)
Teamosil
Good Time Family Band Solution
#102 - 2011-11-26 05:26:08 UTC
I guess my definition of a carebear is somebody that doesn't pvp at all. That said, doing pve in hostile 0.0, wormholes or low sec IS pvping. You're just playing the role of the prey instead of the role of the hunter, but it's still pvp just the same.
Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#103 - 2011-11-26 05:31:14 UTC
I am care-bear !!!!!

Now Get Out.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#104 - 2011-11-26 05:43:08 UTC
My definition of a Carebear is a little bit different, I suppose. Carebears fight, and fight hard to defend their home when it's attacked.

Every week, when Professor Coldheart attacks Care-a-Lot, what do Carebears do? They defend themselves with the most powerful weapon of all; the Carebear Stare. They don't back down or run away. They're there to keep Professor Coldheart from stopping the people on earth from caring.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Revajin
Doomheim
#105 - 2011-11-26 05:43:28 UTC
A carebear to me has never been someone who doesn't pvp. It's simply someone who gets butthurt when risk catches up to them or is extremely risk adverse. A trader who goes into lowsec and gets blown up and doesn't throw a hissy fit because he understands the nature of the game, that's not a carebear. FOTM Cane pilot who writes a lengthy post on mmorpg.com explaining how he's sick of having to run missions to replace his losses is a carebear. I don't care how badass his killboard is, he's no better than the suicide ganked miner who cries about having to replace his hulk. I'll present some examples in the form of quotes.

"I got scammed and tried to petition it but CCP said it was part of the game, I'm unsubbing until they become more noob friendly"
CAREBEAR

"I got scammed for 200 million but it was my own fault, plus it was kinda cool to see the scam I got duped in make the news"
NOT CAREBEAR

"I want to pvp, but I don't want to go to low/null"
CAREBEAR

"I'm probably going to lose my Proteus tonight, eh, I'll go for it"
NOT CAREBEAR

"Goons keep blowing up my ice miners, I'm going to unsub until this blows over."
CAREBEAR

"I hope Goons try that **** again, I want to see if my tank can hold them until Concord gets to me this time."
HOPELESS DREAMER and also NOT CAREBEAR
Oggat
The Adam's Family
#106 - 2011-11-26 06:42:30 UTC
I Love Boobies wrote:
Hi, my name is I Love Boobies, and I am a Carebear. Should I feel guilty for being a Carebear? No more so than being a Prat, or the most effective PvPer in Eve Online, even a Scammer for what it's worth. Eve Online is a game that caters to all styles of play, so why should people care about how others play?

It's actually quite humorous when people rush to the forums and declare people are playing the game wrong. Play the game how you see fit, don't worry about others and how they feel about your style of game play. The true Carebears are the ones who worry or complain about the play styles of others. Just play the game, have fun. Smile

Bewbies.. I like bewbies.

Oh right, carebears. They don't play EVE. I'm sure many have tried and moved on but true carebears simply can't be bothered with space MMO skill points.

EVE does have emoragers, been known to emorage myself a few times. Usually because I get a little too enthusiastic though. I'm sure that's the culprit most often.
Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#107 - 2011-11-26 07:08:05 UTC
Revajin wrote:
A carebear to me has never been someone who doesn't pvp. It's simply someone who gets butthurt when risk catches up to them or is extremely risk adverse. A trader who goes into lowsec and gets blown up and doesn't throw a hissy fit because he understands the nature of the game, that's not a carebear. FOTM Cane pilot who writes a lengthy post on mmorpg.com explaining how he's sick of having to run missions to replace his losses is a carebear. I don't care how badass his killboard is, he's no better than the suicide ganked miner who cries about having to replace his hulk. I'll present some examples in the form of quotes.

"I got scammed and tried to petition it but CCP said it was part of the game, I'm unsubbing until they become more noob friendly"
CAREBEAR

"I got scammed for 200 million but it was my own fault, plus it was kinda cool to see the scam I got duped in make the news"
NOT CAREBEAR

CAREBEAR

NOT CAREBEAR

"Goons keep blowing up my ice miners, I'm going to unsub until this blows over."
CAREBEAR

"I hope Goons try that **** again, I want to see if my tank can hold them until Concord gets to me this time."

This man understands. +1.
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#108 - 2011-11-26 08:32:55 UTC
Vyl Vit wrote:
Why, "carebear" usually denotes someone who's satisfied with building, rather than wanton destruction. Since it was a kid's cartoon, the ones who use the term pejoratively are infantile enough to think it's an insult to be compared to something harmless and cuddly. The ones who use the name to label someone else, of course, would wet their pants and cry for mommy if they actually ran into a tough guy...something they've probably already done several times in their sweet short lives. The experience is so unbearable (no pun intended) they spend the rest of their lives trying to make up for it by seeming tough, only from perfectly safe places...like behind a keyboard in mummy's basement.

wiki dat

This is a perfect example of a Carebear frame of mind.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to PVE but to exude such hostility for elements of the game you are not personally interested in like the above is what makes 'carebears' so detestable.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Jonni Favorite
Red Slice Enterprise
#109 - 2011-11-26 09:03:05 UTC
Stop trying to fit into the *l33t cafeteria table* and just enjoy your lunch..
Aineko Macx
#110 - 2011-11-26 09:24:58 UTC
I will try a more generic definition:

A carebear is someone less PVP oriented than yourself.

The qualification is relative to the observer.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#111 - 2011-11-26 10:01:36 UTC
Quote:
Who's a carebear?

I care. (Hugs to all)

I'm a bear. (Roar)

But I'm not a carebear.

Mr Epeen Cool
Anshio Tamark
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#112 - 2011-11-26 10:51:41 UTC
Revajin wrote:

CAREBEAR

NOT CAREBEAR

CAREBEAR

NOT CAREBEAR

CAREBEAR

I like those definitions of what a "carebear" is.

Personally, I'm risk-averse. But I don't unsubscribe or whine when someone pops my ship. I take full responsibility for whatever stuff may happen to my ship. I lose a Buzzard in null-sec doing recon? It's my fault for not fitting a good enough tank or forgetting to stuff an MWD on the ship to flee from bubbles. I lose a Raven while doing missions? It's my fault for not being careful enough. I lose an Orca during a mining operation? Tough luck, that happens to someone every day, I was just next in line for being shot.

If something happens to my ship, it's on my watch, and thus my responsibility. I'll just go get the ISK to buy a new ship and continue doing whatever it is I feel like doing.
Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
R I O T
#113 - 2011-11-26 11:05:17 UTC
Being a "carebear" has nothing to do with whether or not you seek combat pvp experiences, and everything to do with whether or not you want the game to be changed in such a manner that you can opt out of any and all non-consensual player interaction.

If all pvp was removed from the game tomorrow, it would take but a short time for the "carebears" to start whining about undercutting on the market, having to compete with others for a limited amount of rocks in asteroid belts, et cetera. You don't see those whines right now because they have bigger issues to worry about (wars, ganking).

This is the true nature of the carebear. Unfortunately, first-world lifestyles have developed complacency and feelings of entitlement in many people (especially those who have the time and money to play MMOs). As such, these people make up a high percentage of games' player bases. We're part of a generation of victims; people have forgotten how to look out for their own safety because it's so much easier to blame society/the cops who are hardly budgeted for petty crimes. Just go look at the "burgled" letter that's been making the rounds, if you want an example of this.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

Mu'ad Diib
Nul-Bridge Industrial Technologies
#114 - 2011-11-26 11:25:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Mu'ad Diib
ACE McFACE wrote:
Real men wear goggles and a Navy shirt!
I've got the googles, does that still count?

Donec eget elit eget tincidunt in D. Vin Diesel et pice volutpat. Satis probabiliter infeliciter!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. When I die, all those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Elson Tamar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#115 - 2011-11-26 12:20:15 UTC
I PVP, well i blow up alot, still looking for tha elusive killmail. I Ninja and i indulge in running around lowsec and null.So im sure i'm not a carebear. However there are high sec 'elite' PVPers who are carebears (ie i have lots in my corp and am going to pick on you or newb baitiers to pad kill mails, etc) and if you live in entirly blue null how hard core are you really? I think the term carbear is used to discribe anyone who does not take risks or goes for the safe option. Theres nothing wrong with this, hell you pay your money and takes your choice. However next time you throw the term carebear around is your 10 man roam picking on one ship any different to a 30 ship incursion team or a level 4 mission runner? how much risk have you really taken when you blow up a tech 1 frigate with a Drake or Tech three strategic cruiser? Or are you killmailbear? Grinding killmails with no risk?
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#116 - 2011-11-26 14:59:32 UTC
Russell Casey wrote:
ACY GTMI wrote:
Khanh'rhh wrote:

You "kinda suck at PVP"? Well, guess what. Everyone does when they don't try.

If you don't play the game just to show how much of a geek you are, why waste training time on PvP?

BTW, love your signature.

Because propulsion jamming takes so much time.Lol

He's a miner. So anything other than training that **** is a waste of time.
Worse still, everyone in his corp is his alt.
Worse again, everyone in his ALLIANCE is his alt.

He's freely admitted it before.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#117 - 2011-11-26 15:02:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Khanh'rhh
Vyl Vit wrote:
Why, "carebear" usually denotes someone who's satisfied with building, rather than wanton destruction. Since it was a kid's cartoon, the ones who use the term pejoratively are infantile enough to think it's an insult to be compared to something harmless and cuddly. The ones who use the name to label someone else, of course, would wet their pants and cry for mommy if they actually ran into a tough guy...something they've probably already done several times in their sweet short lives. The experience is so unbearable (no pun intended) they spend the rest of their lives trying to make up for it by seeming tough, only from perfectly safe places...like behind a keyboard in mummy's basement.

Who has more issues? The guy who plays a PVP game for the PVP, or the guy who plays a PVP game to do nothing but make things for the people who do?

To expand your analogy, surely you're the guy who comes over to clean the basement whilst the other guy lives in it?

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Velicitia
XS Tech
#118 - 2011-11-26 16:09:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Velicitia
Syme wrote:
I'm a Carebear but I am really bad at itOops

I just wish there was a tag for people who have no idea what to do how ever long they play.

I think that's "noob" Cool.

edit to stay on topic.

yeah, I'm a carebear by some definitions ... I have definitely emo-raged because of my own stupidity at times ... but I have always known it was my own mistakes that cost me the ship(s).

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Teamosil
Good Time Family Band Solution
#119 - 2011-11-26 17:12:56 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
My definition of a Carebear is a little bit different, I suppose. Carebears fight, and fight hard to defend their home when it's attacked.

Every week, when Professor Coldheart attacks Care-a-Lot, what do Carebears do? They defend themselves with the most powerful weapon of all; the Carebear Stare. They don't back down or run away. They're there to keep Professor Coldheart from stopping the people on earth from caring.

I'm suddenly realizing that my knowledge of actual Carebears is grossly inadequate.
Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#120 - 2011-11-27 23:54:50 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
Yeah, I'm a carebear by some definitions ... I have definitely emo-raged because of my own stupidity at times ... but I have always known it was my own mistakes that cost me the ship(s).
That is a fantastic attitude to have. Kudos. Big smile