These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A Reminder Regarding Real Life Harassment

First post First post First post
Author
Ssabat Thraxx
DUST Expeditionary Team
Good Sax
#861 - 2014-09-13 05:28:50 UTC
evepal wrote:
t isn't exactly fair or reasonable, you're right. What would you propose in the situation where someone was to do something that general consensus/CCP didn't want, and they introduce a new policy because of it?

That's pretty easy. You make a public announcement that said behavior will no longer be tolerated. You cannot in fairness punish someone for engaging in an act that was legal at the time they did it. That's such a wicked approach with great potential for abuse, so much so that the United States Constitution includes a clause that "Congress shall make no law retroactive." There's a reason for that.

Before this gets derailed, I am aware that there are people here from all over the world, I'm merely demonstrating that retroactive punishment is viewed with such disdain that the founders of a country saw fit to explicitly prohibit it in the name of justice and fairness.

\m/ O.o \m/

"You're a freak ..." - Solecist Project

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#862 - 2014-09-13 05:33:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
evepal wrote:

Though, suppose this completely hypothetical: I invited you onto a VOIP program, insulted you for 6 hours ...

You wouldn't have even gotten to 6 minutes before I had you in tears instead.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Ssabat Thraxx
DUST Expeditionary Team
Good Sax
#863 - 2014-09-13 05:44:33 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
La Rynx wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

Remiel was playing EVE in a perfectly acceptable and legitimate way.

He did a lot of things. I dont know the details, but no wonder he is a posts a lot here.
His way of playing and his account maybe in danger of a future ban.

I'm sure it's a lot for you to conceive a smile on my face as I read this. My dear, if I was worried about the status of my account, I wouldn't be drawing so much attention to it. I don't flirt with bannable offenses but today, I'll be looking for them. Actively. Have you got a poorly named ship or POS in space? Reported. Is your bio a breech of the EULA? Reported. Did you just call someone something bigoted in local because you were mad? Reported. Was it me? reported reported reported.

Oh and believe you me, I won't have to do much differently to what I normally do to come across this stuff. I already know of at least two POS's named offensively, they are my first target for this morning. And of course, if I can't find anything myself, it won't be hard to find CODE and the vitriol being flung at them.

#OpReportAllTheThings

I'll be joining you on your OP. I have in the past been the victim of "selective enforcement" of the rules. I've already sorta started to do this on my own, generally just whenever the mood strikes me. I'll get more focused on it now.

\m/ O.o \m/

Zen Guerrilla
CTRL-Q
Ushra'Khan
#864 - 2014-09-13 05:54:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Zen Guerrilla
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
I just feel that there is an issue from inside CCP where some people are not comfortable with some gameplay like ganking, awoxing, scamming, etc. and it just seams like they influence this decisions.
But nobody was banned for ganking, awoxing or scamming.

Quote:
I just don't get why people who make someone sing and rage on TS get a permabann and people who threaten to spoil my family and set my house on fire are still in the game (You now you clever CCP folks, you don't tell us what action you take, but there is something called the watchlist...). It seams out of proportion to me.
You have absolutely 0 evidence that people got banned for any of the reasons stated. It's all just rumors.

Quote:
Just to clarify, I am not here to justify or defend any actions that may have caused this bans. I simply try to state my discomfort as it seams that this decisions may somewhat be biased, because there are people inside CCP who consider actions like ganking, awoxing, scamming etc. grief play.
Let me say that again. Nobody got banned for ganking, awoxing or scamming. Why should they? It's encouraged by CCP and not a bannable offense. The only thing we have found out is that if you act as terrible as you possibly can, abuse people for no other reason than the abuse itself, deliberatly move parts of the harrassement out of game, record them and distribute them and just generally act like a psychopath, you might end up with a ban. Good riddance. Nobody needs people like that in a game.

On the other hand, it's great fun to see all the "bad" people in horror about some assholes getting banned. I like that.

pew pew

Myles Wong
The One's Who Matter
#865 - 2014-09-13 05:56:04 UTC
After slaving away all day over the french fryer and in between demands of apple pie from the likes of Ssabat Thraxx I had an epiphany. CCP should draw up specific and black and white rules. We will then see forum raging like never before as those who willingly fall on their swords over something they know nothing about are faced with a brand new EvE. It is disturbing that Remiel and Kaarous along with others have not had their more serious issues investigated and taken care of appropriately. But back to the topic. Bring forth the rules and make us all equals despite our time with eve, alliance we may or may not be in, or status amongst our peers. Those that can't tell right from wrong will be pretty disappointed.
Ssabat Thraxx
DUST Expeditionary Team
Good Sax
#866 - 2014-09-13 06:04:43 UTC
Zen Guerrilla wrote:
On the other hand, it's great fun to see all the "bad" people in horror about some assholes getting banned. I like that.

First they came for the botters, and I said nothing because I was not a botter.
Then they came for the gankers, and I said nothing because I was not a ganker.
Then they came for the mission runners, and I said nothing because I was not a mission runner.
Then they came for the assholes, and there was no one left to speak for me.

\m/ O.o \m/

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#867 - 2014-09-13 06:55:30 UTC
Anslo wrote:
You nerds are still victim blaming? Go play eve and stop bitching.

I am way too drunk to play EVE,. I do what I want.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Dave Stark
#868 - 2014-09-13 07:37:46 UTC
Anslo wrote:

I was unaware that wanting to know what the rules are, is victim blaming.

oh wait, it's not, you just didn't read any of the thread did you?
Josef Djugashvilis
#869 - 2014-09-13 07:43:54 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Anslo wrote:

Perhaps you would be kind enough to help the players and CCP by offering us your version of a set of rules which cover all eventualities and we could all adhere to.

Thought not...

This is not a signature.

Dave Stark
#870 - 2014-09-13 07:48:52 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Anslo wrote:

Perhaps you would be kind enough to help the players and CCP by offering us your version of a set of rules which cover all eventualities and we could all adhere to.

Thought not...

when they pay me to do their job, i'll do it.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#871 - 2014-09-13 07:50:06 UTC
evepal wrote:
With the inclusion of that, I find no fault with how it's currently presented, personally. Of course, the exceptions to the in game actions are a potential vice, but as they're not stated, I have no issue. It serves a good foundation to be clarified if necessary.

The in-game actions classified has harassment are alreadymentioned in a number of disparate Dev and GM posts, tracking them down sounds like not-fun work best left for others.

Quote:
Disappointment carries the connotation that I have some sort of hope or expectation as to the conclusion of the discussion, this is contrary to what I've stated before. Though you're correct in that I was in the midst of a socratic method, which is why I said it lost its context.

If you don't have a specific point to make, you're not using the Socratic method very well, since the method is designed is to show that the other guy agrees with you even if he initially disagrees with yo,.

In other words, skip the Socratic series of leading questions and state your claim/inequality directly (assuming you have one). We're pretty good at asking questions to clarify the definitions of obscure mathematical operators (and other operators) as needed.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#872 - 2014-09-13 07:51:35 UTC
Zen Guerrilla wrote:

I see, you clearly have the moral high ground. At least you think you have. You are happy someone lost the privilege to play this game over unknown reasons (because you don't know) just because they play the "bad" guy in a game that encourages such game play? I consider this a rather toxic attitude. Some people just never look into the mirror I guess.
Dave Stark
#873 - 2014-09-13 07:54:51 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Zen Guerrilla wrote:

I see, you clearly have the moral high ground. At least you think you have. You are happy someone lost the privilege to play this game over unknown reasons (because you don't know) just because they play the "bad" guy in a game that encourages such game play? I consider this a rather toxic attitude. Some people just never look into the mirror I guess.

would also help if they read the thread and realised we're not in horror about them being banned, but in ccp's refusal to actually tell us what the rules are.

can't really avoid getting banned if you don't know what will and won't get you banned.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#874 - 2014-09-13 08:00:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Anslo wrote:

Thought not...

How about instead of what we can't do, they tell us what we can do. By virtue of not being on a list of approved behaviours in-game, and what can be reasonably expected of CCP to monitor out of game (such as on voice coms published on the internet), it then becomes 'not allowed' except with express permission, via petition, from CCP.

I could even start the list:

Suicide ganking is allowed, provided it's not unreasonably excessively focused on one player.
Singransom is allowed, provided the victim is not excessively pushed, especially if they show agitation. If they won't sing, just blow them up/keep their stuff.
Scamming is allowed, [enter proviso here, I've never done scamming or been involved with anyone doing it, so I wouldn't know what to put here]
Bumping is allowed, [again, enter proviso here]
etc etc

Then anything not on the list can be assumed to be off the playbook without express permission via petition from a GM.

Using suicide ganking as the example, it would still be on CCP to deem what is considered unreasonably excessive on a case by case basis, should it occur. It would also be on CCP to investigate petitions asking to explore other activity requests not on the list on a case by case basis, in addition to the usual consequences of excessive petitioning, especially excessive petitioning of stupid requests that try to skirt the TOS. I don't imagine this to be too hard to accomplish, and given the nature of EVE and how different it is from other games, I do think it's a good step in the right direction.

EDIT: Let's make it a list of approved PVP behaviours, so we're being specific that it's regarding player interaction and behaviour rather than activity, otherwise you'd have to put all PVE activities on the list as well and that would be ridiculous.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Zen Guerrilla
CTRL-Q
Ushra'Khan
#875 - 2014-09-13 08:31:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Zen Guerrilla
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Zen Guerrilla wrote:

Actually, i love looking at myself in the mirror. I'm fabulous.

/edit
Also, i like that you said "privilege" and not "right". Because they acted so stupid, their privileges got revoked. They never had any rights anyway. :)

pew pew

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#876 - 2014-09-13 08:34:44 UTC
Zen Guerrilla wrote:
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Zen Guerrilla wrote:

Actually, i love looking at myself in the mirror. I'm fabulous.

It doesn't count when you cover the mirror with a poster of Tom Cruise.

And also, ew, Tom Cruise? Why would you do that? Cruise is gross.

La Rynx
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#877 - 2014-09-13 08:44:12 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:

The same empathy I have for someone who gets threatened or harassed for bragging about a Chess tournament win (bragging which sometimes makes the losers of the tournament angry, upset, and/or miserable).

They are the victim of a crime/EULA violation*.

As i said this thread got boring.

At the moment its those "grr CCP" guys trying to move the role "victim" to a certain group of persons.

What i am saying that in those cases of "fishing for tears and emotions" are sadistic. The Executioners are victims of RL threads, all right, but. and i think i made that clear to: They are not innocent because theyself initiated the Events.

Example for EULA conflict?
the ban-hammer for erotica1

Provocation in law suits?
Provoked car accidents for ensurance frauds do ask who was the Provokateur.

Atomic Virulent : "You can't spell DOUCHE. without CODE."

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#878 - 2014-09-13 08:53:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
La Rynx wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:

The same empathy I have for someone who gets threatened or harassed for bragging about a Chess tournament win (bragging which sometimes makes the losers of the tournament angry, upset, and/or miserable).

They are the victim of a crime/EULA violation*.

As i said this thread got boring.

At the moment its those "grr CCP" guys trying to move the role "victim" to a certain group of persons.

What i am saying that in those cases of "fishing for tears and emotions" are sadistic. The Executioners are victims of RL threads, all right, but. and i think i made that clear to: They are not innocent because theyself initiated the Events.

Example for EULA conflict?
the ban-hammer for erotica1

Provocation in law suits?
Provoked car accidents for ensurance frauds do ask who was the Provokateur.

You still don't understand. Still on this dead horse of yours that the 'villain' could only have ever faced attack with provocation. Yeah, go join the army one day. Then when you come back, give me a definition of villain that doesn't fit the neat little Star Wars darkside/lightside false dichotomy.

No one is talking about provoked reactions. There are a lot of unprovoked attacks that have taken place in this game where the aggressor has not faced CCP policy enforcement. That's what he's saying.

La Rynx
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#879 - 2014-09-13 08:59:06 UTC  |  Edited by: La Rynx
Remiel Pollard wrote:

Suicide ganking is allowed, provided it's not unreasonably excessively focused on one player.

this is the line:
if Stuff is not "unreasonably excessively focused on one player.".

This Thread gives me the impression some people can not / or don't want to decide when unreasonable excessiv begins.

Ganking? Freighterhunt in Uedama? Singransom?
There is NO Problem. not by me (unimportant but i want to mention) and not by CCP and the GM. (Please ask CCP Falcon).

CCP might have made errors with bans?
Thats not in question, thats a given.

CCP decides wether it likes or dislikes people? utter nonsense, CCP doesn't care about in game stuff. the hardly know any player names.

where error made with this actual swing of the ban-hammer?
possible: act like a pro (HTFU) and make a petition.
IMO: there are far more players that shout "i am innocent" then really innocent banned players. which gets me back, CCP does not swing this hammer lightly.

lots of posts here try nothing more then to create FUD in favour of the those who where banned with a godd reason.

Atomic Virulent : "You can't spell DOUCHE. without CODE."

Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#880 - 2014-09-13 09:02:04 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:

Unknown reasons? We all know what they did. Your tears are delicious.