These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Revenant event killmail

Author
Citricioni
#21 - 2014-09-06 15:10:31 UTC
shitstorm inc?
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#22 - 2014-09-06 15:40:32 UTC
Devin Wallace wrote:
Without a kill report, the entire thing was just a meaningless lag-fest.

These kinds of events are ********.

Nothing spoils the organic gameplay that makes EVE what it is more than scheduled and themed events with ******* prize giveaways. They're nothing more than theme park attractions.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2014-09-06 15:44:40 UTC
I don't complain very often. And I'm going to refrain from it, for now, because I'm giving everyone the benefit of doubt that it's being worked on.

But, just keep in mind that 1/3rd of the logged-in players set aside RL and in-game concerns for nearly 4 hours, endured incredible immaturity on a massive scale (I'm specifically referencing the troll/spam crap in local and the eve-bet channel), risked assets, dealt with the worst TiDi most of us have ever or will ever see, and there were prizes on the line.
Plus, someone sacrificed a damn Revenant to make this happen.

All those things considered, it's a tad frustrating to think it might have all been for nothing. I can understand where folks with less patience than I would be foam-at-the-mouth angry.

(Besides... from the damage notifications my little SB was getting, I know for a fact I did over 125k damage in a frig hull. That may or may not put me squarely in the running for a few PLEXes)

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
Aliventi
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#24 - 2014-09-06 15:56:17 UTC
Jarod Garamonde wrote:
When Marlona Sky's Nyx died, that KM generated right away. I know this was nearly twice as many people, but come on, now.

Granted at the time it was the largest KM ever generated (based upon # of people on the KM) and crashed your Eve client when you clicked on the KM link. Which sucked because I was the one that ended up with the KM and wanted to look at it.
Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2014-09-06 16:04:05 UTC
Aliventi wrote:
Jarod Garamonde wrote:
When Marlona Sky's Nyx died, that KM generated right away. I know this was nearly twice as many people, but come on, now.

Granted at the time it was the largest KM ever generated (based upon # of people on the KM) and crashed your Eve client when you clicked on the KM link. Which sucked because I was the one that ended up with the KM and wanted to look at it.

LOL.... I remember that.
"Oh, cool! The mail!" *click* *crash* "Well, poop."

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
Talon Draygo
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#26 - 2014-09-06 16:20:37 UTC
Well for those who were at the Battle of Caldari Prime, you will remember that this isnt the first time we have been screwed out of kill mails.
Siths
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2014-09-06 16:24:29 UTC
Flashback:

"Earlier this year a scandal erupted in which a CCP employee in Band of Brothers (known far and wide as BOB) was found to have improperly given his group technical blueprints that could have helped decide the war."

~SETH SCHIESEL (The New York Times)

*Snip* Please refrain from discussions in a WTS/WTB thread.

Anslo
Scope Works
#28 - 2014-09-06 17:33:03 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Devin Wallace wrote:

Nothing spoils the organic gameplay that makes EVE what it is more than scheduled and themed events with ******* prize giveaways. They're nothing more than theme park attractions.

I thought player hosted events were content creation? Not theme park game mechanics? Don't be a bitter old man my old friend. It doesn't suit you.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Devin Wallace
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#29 - 2014-09-06 19:40:31 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Devin Wallace wrote:

Is that why CFC was there with with multiple subcap fleets totaling over 1000 pilots?

I hope I don't meet the worm that creates the holes,  must be immortal.

Arronicus
State War Academy
Caldari State
#30 - 2014-09-06 19:45:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Arronicus
Devin Wallace wrote:
"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------REDACTED TO PROTECT CCP'S REPUTATION----------------------------------------------------------- [/u]"

Big smile basically, CCP would have to reverse their policy to generate a kill report retroactively, and then what would they say to the hundreds of people filing support tickets on a daily basis? They would have to actually ensure that kill reports were accurately generated every time which they apparently can not or will not do. The one positive aspect is that this particular kill report had would have had at least 3,700 pilots on it and hopefully they're all quite upset that they will not receive recognition for the hours of horrendous lag they endured and make it known to CCP.

CCP understands the importance of making small exceptions in the case of large events affecting huge numbers of players. As they are not bound by precedent law like the tried-and-proven-failed american legal system, and are rather able to deal everything on a case by case basis at their own discretion, no, they would not be obliged to take any other action as a result.

What they would say to the hundreds of people filing tickets is that an exception was made for a large event.

As for the recognition, I believe it has been made clear before, the killmail should not be the most important part. You should be playing the game to enjoy the opportunity. To be present for shooting the revenant. Anyone who really cared about proving they were there likely has screenshots of the event they can show, or could even dig up their logs for the event.

TL:DR, No CCP would not have to follow precedent. Some people didn't get a km? Boo-hoo, HTFU.
Azhu
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#31 - 2014-09-06 19:46:22 UTC
Hahah people went to this.
Yarda Black
The Black Redemption
#32 - 2014-09-06 19:56:38 UTC
Arronicus wrote:
As for the recognition, I believe it has been made clear before, the killmail should not be the most important part. You should be playing the game to enjoy the opportunity.

You have no business deciding that whatsoever
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#33 - 2014-09-06 20:57:55 UTC
Devin Wallace wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Devin Wallace wrote:

Is that why CFC was there with with multiple subcap fleets totaling over 1000 pilots?

Possibly.

Galvanized
Roaming Pikey's Tarmac Club
#34 - 2014-09-06 21:00:28 UTC

I actually suckered myself and my corpmate's into tagging along on this latest disaster thinking that maybe..just maybe things had changed after years of knowing full well that live events usually cluster**** into epic proportions...

Nope....nothing's changed...

Being fed 4 hours of soul destroying lag and throwing away 4 hours of my life on that debacle ( at 1st it was amusing listen to people on coms trying to get some dps down on that flying Turd ) It soon wore off tho , just hanging on thinking ok at least they'll be a shiny killmail to laugh over...

Seems like that has hit the fan too....

Dissapointing..

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#35 - 2014-09-06 21:02:50 UTC
Anslo wrote:
I thought player hosted events were content creation? Not theme park game mechanics? Don't be a bitter old man my old friend. It doesn't suit you.

It's content creation of the worst kind. "Come shoot at this rare ship that I'm going to sacrifice for you, all you have to do is show up!" It cheapens the experience of killing such ships for people who do so naturally, with the tremendous amount of planning, waiting, and psychological manipulation required. Now any schlepper could just show up and effortlessly add a Revenant killmail to their board and show it off as if they actually did something to earn it. It's a ******* trophy for participation.

Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#36 - 2014-09-06 21:03:51 UTC
The kill is worth nothing. It was for free.
Merley of symbolic value.

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Talene Desole
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#37 - 2014-09-06 21:16:31 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Anslo wrote:

It's content creation of the worst kind. "Come shoot at this rare ship that I'm going to sacrifice for you, all you have to do is show up!" It cheapens the experience of killing such ships for people who do so naturally, with the tremendous amount of planning, waiting, and psychological manipulation required. Now any schlepper could just show up and effortlessly add a Revenant killmail to their board and show it off as if they actually did something to earn it. It's a ******* trophy for participation.

Yes and no. The kill of the Revenant itself is just ***** and giggles and not something for anyone to pin a medal on themselves for agreed, but all the additional content that was generated as a result of it, such as the massive gate camping before and after to get into the system, the huge volume of kills in the system during, and after, the event, and those who went and managed to survive at all is also content. And, to my mind, all that secondary and associated content is content of value and some meaning. It may have been precipitated by a planned, pre-arranged turkey shoot, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a whole lot of fun and skill to be had and exhibited surrounding it by those who participated or took advantage of the event.
THE SMUDGE
ALIMONY INC
#38 - 2014-09-06 22:15:52 UTC
So, can CCP confirm that there will be no KM please? I will be unsubbing a few PVP accounts for a while in response. No point in chasing KMs if the system is broken. Limit player numbers in these event systems in the future please. I got in early, managed to get the job done and now get this. Starting to hate my favourite game. EVE-BET must be pretty upset.
Paranoid Loyd
#39 - 2014-09-06 22:19:27 UTC
The only thing worse the KM whoring is crying about not having the KM you whored on. Roll

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

THE SMUDGE
ALIMONY INC
#40 - 2014-09-06 22:39:15 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
The only thing worse the KM whoring is crying about not having the KM you whored on. Roll

That's the thing about a sandbox we all have our different reasons for playing. Or not playing. And who said I whored? I got there early and did as much damage as anyone else there. And please, don't roll your eyes at me, its effeminate.