These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Attn: #Gamergate People

First post
Author
Jarod Garamonde
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2014-09-01 01:08:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Jarod Garamonde
Xenuria wrote:
Jarod Garamonde wrote:
Mizhir wrote:
Can you fill me in what the **** it is about?

The Mittani is on a retweet spree on twitter with it.



Basically, a bunch of silly neckbeards got butthurt because people are listening to Anita Sarkeesian (who, by the way, is completely right on almost everything she says.... and, no, I'm not joking.... I'm sick of chainmail bikinis, too), and decided to dox her and harass her to the point where she had to move for fear of any of these idiot kids making good on their threats.
So, some things were said, and basically every basement-dwelling virgin with a blog and/or a YouTube channel that fancies himself a "journalist" seems to think she directly slandered them and "ruined their credibility"... which they never had to begin with.

Me, personally, if it didn't come from TMC or direct from a developer, I don't take it seriously, anyway.

And, for those of you who are on this crusade.... eff your feelings. You're an idiot. Quit terrorizing women for just wanting you to stop being a sexist prick, and also, stop being a sexist prick. Your stupid pixel boobs are no cause for IRL threats of death and violence.

I too agree with most of what she says.

the only legit criticism is that she took all that money and stopped producing ANY new content. Then got re-listed as a charity for tax purposes. Then continued to not release ANYTHING despite asking for donations toward a nonspecific "project".

Soooo yeah. Is she right?

Duh.


Is she abusing the trust people invested in her?

Duh.


Should goons act outraged that she got doxed and death threats?
lol not unless they are being ~ironic~



You know.... this whole "grrrrr Goons" undertone.
I unno, mate. But I see you as an ally in this thread, so Imma let it go. :p

(PS: it's mostly Mittens who is outraged... not Goonswarm as an entity)

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

    [#savethelance]
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2014-09-01 01:27:51 UTC

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/08/29/gaming-vlogger-anita-sarkeesian-is-forced-from-home-after-receiving-harrowing-death-threats/

This is pretty screwed up. No one should have to go through that for having an opinion.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Xenuria
#43 - 2014-09-01 01:31:30 UTC
Jarod Garamonde wrote:


You know.... this whole "grrrrr Goons" undertone.
I unno, mate. But I see you as an ally in this thread, so Imma let it go. :p

(PS: it's mostly Mittens who is outraged... not Goonswarm as an entity)


That's my point. He doxed me in his CSM thread years ago. So I find it funny that hes throwing a fit.
Jarod Garamonde
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2014-09-01 01:36:08 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
Jarod Garamonde wrote:


You know.... this whole "grrrrr Goons" undertone.
I unno, mate. But I see you as an ally in this thread, so Imma let it go. :p

(PS: it's mostly Mittens who is outraged... not Goonswarm as an entity)


That's my point. He doxed me in his CSM thread years ago. So I find it funny that hes throwing a fit.



Oh, Mittens.... Mittens, Mittens, Mittens.....

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

    [#savethelance]
Grimpak
Manufactorum.
#45 - 2014-09-01 02:17:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Grimpak
Jarod Garamonde wrote:
Grimpak wrote:
Jarod Garamonde wrote:
Grimpak wrote:
http://img-9gag-lol.9cache.com/photo/amL8mAv_460s.jpg


That's NOT how it actually works.
You're not paying attention to reality.

Furthermore, you're only proving my gifs accurate.

Ah yes, a SJW then.

And I pay attention to reality. I know of women that work harder than any man just to put food on the table.


Making fun of crybaby neckbeards makes me a social justice warrior?
And here I was thinking it made me just "a bloke who makes fun of crybaby neckbeards"....

Most people of even slightly above-average intelligence find stupidity exasperating. I'm going to teach you a thing, right now.... if you don't like being generalized, don't generalize others.
Also, if you claim to be a "nice guy", yet you complain when a girl doesn't want to have sex with you.... you're NOT a nice guy. Nice guys just move on.



Thing is, I'm not the one generalizing others. Apparently, this new wave of "feminists" which pretty much have nothing to do with the feminists that came before, and we should respect, produced people that have the same level of intelligence that they are attempting to get rid of.
Add the grand standing enabling tool that is the internet, and you end up with the poorest examples of misguided feminism, attention-seeking SJWs and half-baked sensationalist journalists, all jumbled up in a whirlpool that doesn't help *at all* the feminist cause. Add, also self-empowered, counter-reactionary misguided tools and you end up with a clusterfuck of epic proportions that attracts the wrong kind of attention to the issue at hand.

And what the **** was that last statement?

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Jarod Garamonde
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2014-09-01 02:37:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Jarod Garamonde
Grimpak wrote:



Thing is, I'm not the one generalizing others. Apparently, this new wave of "feminists" which pretty much have nothing to do with the feminists that came before, and we should respect, produced people that have the same level of intelligence that they are attempting to get rid of.
Add the grand standing enabling tool that is the internet, and you end up with the poorest examples of misguided feminism, attention-seeking SJWs and half-baked sensationalist journalists, all jumbled up in a whirlpool that doesn't help *at all* the feminist cause. Add, also self-empowered, counter-reactionary misguided tools and you end up with a clusterfuck of epic proportions that attracts the wrong kind of attention to the issue at hand.

And what the **** was that last statement?


I don't know how else to say this.... so I'll just say it the mean way.

You're wrong, and you suck at comprehension. That's not what feminism is about. You're focusing on the spotlight rangers and toxic narcissist female supremists, which make up about 2% of the total number of self-identifying feminists, and trying to say ALL feminists are like that.
Leading me to believe you're one of those neckbeard fake-MRA jackwagons that wants daterape to be legal, and thinks catcalling and sexual harassment are "boys being boys".

Please explain to me on what planet is putting more clothes on video game characters and giving women personalities "oppressing" to male gamers (who are essentially handed everything they want on a silver platter). Sperg some more. Your ilk's collective temper tantrums taste delicious.

Here's a hint: video games don't belong exclusively to misogynist neckbeard twats. I'm a bloke, and I'm tired of this crap, too. Not to mention that women have just as much of a say-so.
If you want to have your fantasy gameworld, go play Custer's Revenge.

(PS: I led off with "I hate you".... none of what I have to say should come as a surprise)

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

    [#savethelance]
Grimpak
Manufactorum.
#47 - 2014-09-01 03:08:19 UTC
Jarod Garamonde wrote:
That's not what feminism is about. You're focusing on the spotlight rangers and toxic narcissist female supremists, which make up about 2% of the total number of self-identifying feminists, and trying to say ALL feminists are like that.


Finally the guy gets it.


You see, that's what I'm trying to say. While the fact that Sarkeesian is or is not one of those is a matter of discussion, she is being used as the banner for all those spotlight ranger and toxic narcissist female supremacists. You see, it might be just 2%, but it's a highly vocal 2%, and those are the ones that are ruining the whole thing since if they scream the loudest, then they might be the majority, right? So let's follow them!

Roll


Jarod Garamonde wrote:
Please explain to me on what planet is putting more clothes on video game characters and giving women personalities "oppressing" to male gamers (who are essentially handed everything they want on a silver platter). Sperg some more. Your ilk's collective temper tantrums taste delicious.

Oppressing? Last batch of female heroines that came up in good games, are prime example of what you're talking.

Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite? Great female character over there.
Red from Transistor? Never a silent MC said more with no words at all.


So yeah, my... "ilk". You mean the ones *trying* to see both sides of the conflict and *trying* to make a fair assessment out of the extremely vocal and attention-seeking people that comprise these minorities of both sides that try to get the wrong kind of attention to the issue at hand?

Well, **** me, let me "sperg" a bit more then.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Derrick Miles
Death Rabbit Ky Oneida
#48 - 2014-09-01 03:18:38 UTC
I still have no idea what the **** most of this is about besides some vague notion of feminism and petty vitriol.
Jarod Garamonde
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2014-09-01 04:39:37 UTC
Grimpak wrote:


Finally the guy gets it.


You see, that's what I'm trying to say. While the fact that Sarkeesian is or is not one of those is a matter of discussion, she is being used as the banner for all those spotlight ranger and toxic narcissist female supremacists. You see, it might be just 2%, but it's a highly vocal 2%, and those are the ones that are ruining the whole thing since if they scream the loudest, then they might be the majority, right? So let's follow them!

Roll



No. No, that's not what's happening. None of these women are doing anything of the such. They want to play video games and not be offended by how their own gender is depicted. I never played God of War.... wanna know why? Because Kratos offended the holy hell out of me, as a male. Duke Nukem? Same. All of the GTA games? Ditto. I could keep the list going, but I'm sure you get the point by now. Am I oppressing women because I didn't like those games? Maybe some of the female gamers out there want to see a shirtless demigod wander into a brothel and bang every woman in the room before setting off to indiscriminately kill people. I don't care. Doesn't take away my right to not like it. Doesn't take away my right to say "I'd like to see less of that tripe". Maybe I, as a man, would like to see an average or slightly athletic-looking protagonist. Maybe, as a bisexual, I'd like to see a hero that digs both genders (oh, and BTW.... the GamerGate derps want to keep bi or homosexual depictions out of games because they want to keep everything nice and cis... so I have even more reason to hate them).

You want to rail against female supremists, go knock on sex-negative feminism, telling everyone that all forms of hetero intercourse are the same as r**e. Go yell at the women who say they're entitled to alimony, or the "mothers" who use their own children as weapons against their ex husbands, but fight bitterly to keep custody of offspring they don't even want outside of causing more pain to a man that no longer wants anything to do with her.
Go get on the case of the women who mock male domestic violence victims.
Do I see any of these #GamerGate mouthbreathers doing that? Hell no. That's REAL misandry. Men claiming to have the best interests of their own gender in mind, but would rather defend animated girls in skimpy clothes, than get involved in ACTUAL issues where men have it rough. Try allying with real feminists and helping to quell ALL forms of sexism, instead of protecting the sexism you want to keep around, and decrying imagined sexist slights against things you just like to have.

"Damsel in distress" is boring at best, and literally objectifying at worst. That needs to be a thing of the past.
Skimpy armor. Stupid as hell. Defeats the entire purpose of wearing metal clothes. Why was that EVER even a thing?

Do you even listen to anything she says? Or are you just blindly following the talking heads?
Because defending people who have terrorized and threatened a woman who spoke her opinion (an opinions she, as an American, had a legal right to express... a legal right you want to strip from her, while screaming that your own is being taken from you).... guess what that is? Deplorable. Subhuman. Sickening. WRONG.

**micdrop**

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

    [#savethelance]
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#50 - 2014-09-01 04:48:34 UTC
"video games portray women as sex objects and damsels in distress"

Except Lara Croft from the Tomb Raider series, Clara Lille from Watch Dogs, Alyx Vance from Half-Life 2, Samus Aran from Metroid, Chell from the Portal series, loads of strong female characters from TES and Fallout (like Irileth from Skyrim, Amata Almodovar from FO3, Rose of Sharon Cassidy from New Vegas) and so many others.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Derrick Miles
Death Rabbit Ky Oneida
#51 - 2014-09-01 05:12:26 UTC
@Jarod Garamonde
I don't think you're getting that the argument being given isn't necessarily something that's actually related to one individual. The harassment of that woman was obviously wrong, should never have happened, and a sign of the disgusting under-belly of the gaming community. But it's not linked to every single argument for and against the perception of women in video games. Take a deep breath and a step back before your next 'micdrop'.

Andski wrote:
"video games portray women as sex objects and damsels in distress"

Except Lara Croft from the Tomb Raider series, Clara Lille from Watch Dogs, Alyx Vance from Half-Life 2, Samus Aran from Metroid, Chell from the Portal series, loads of strong female characters from TES and Fallout (like Irileth from Skyrim, Amata Almodovar from FO3, Rose of Sharon Cassidy from New Vegas) and so many others.

And the other 95% of games?

Face it, sex sells, so it's used very often to sell to a predominately male audience.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#52 - 2014-09-01 05:16:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Andski
Derrick Miles wrote:
And the other 95% of games?

Face it, sex sells, so it's used very often to sell to a predominately male audience.


It's a good thing that you can vote with your wallet, isn't it? I haven't seen the damsel in distress trope in a video game since the 90s.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Derrick Miles
Death Rabbit Ky Oneida
#53 - 2014-09-01 05:22:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Derrick Miles
Andski wrote:
Derrick Miles wrote:
And the other 95% of games?

Face it, sex sells, so it's used very often to sell to a predominately male audience.


It's a good thing that you can vote with your wallet, isn't it? I haven't seen the damsel in distress trope in a video game since the 90s.

I don't believe I ever mentioned a "damsel in distress trope". But the objectification of women is definitely there in any industry that sells to a primarily male audience.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#54 - 2014-09-01 05:39:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Andski
Derrick Miles wrote:
I don't believe I ever mentioned a "damsel in distress trope". But the objectification of women is definitely there in any industry that sells to a primarily male audience.


And the women who are "objectified" (even in gaming, as the 3D models are often based on 3D body scans) do so of their own volition. Do I need to point out the hypocrisy of feminists - who believe that women should be able to make their own choices regardless of society's objections - objecting to that?

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Derrick Miles
Death Rabbit Ky Oneida
#55 - 2014-09-01 05:46:45 UTC
Andski wrote:
Derrick Miles wrote:
I don't believe I ever mentioned a "damsel in distress trope". But the objectification of women is definitely there in any industry that sells to a primarily male audience.

And the women who are "objectified" (even in gaming, as the 3D models are often based on 3D body scans) do so of their own volition. Do I need to point out the hypocrisy of feminists - who believe that women should be able to make their own choices regardless of society's objections - objecting to that?

Sorry, but 3D models are not usually made by 3D body scans.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#56 - 2014-09-01 05:58:39 UTC
Derrick Miles wrote:
Sorry, but 3D models are not usually made by 3D body scans.


Doesn't affect the validity of my point one bit.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Derrick Miles
Death Rabbit Ky Oneida
#57 - 2014-09-01 06:13:49 UTC
Andski wrote:
Derrick Miles wrote:
Sorry, but 3D models are not usually made by 3D body scans.


Doesn't affect the validity of my point one bit.

So because one person has a preference, all people should be subject to that preference?
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#58 - 2014-09-01 06:55:17 UTC


That's the price of fame, not of having an opinion. It is very easy to have an opinion and yet don't scam 140,000 dollars and become a noisy nutjob shouting names at millions of people who just were playing videogames.

An opinion can be used to persuade, to convince or can be demonstrated, but also can be used to press, blackmail and crusade for personal gain in the name of some "greater good".

The later makes a lot of noise, gets nothing done and each now and then draws more attention than the crusader bargained for. Roll

Grimpak
Manufactorum.
#59 - 2014-09-01 08:21:19 UTC
Jarod Garamonde wrote:


Do you even listen to anything she says? Or are you just blindly following the talking heads?
Because defending people who have terrorized and threatened a woman who spoke her opinion (an opinions she, as an American, had a legal right to express... a legal right you want to strip from her, while screaming that your own is being taken from you).... guess what that is? Deplorable. Subhuman. Sickening. WRONG.

**micdrop**



Here's what I follow:

I read arguments form both sides, and both sides can be, deplorable, subhuman sickening and wrong. Issue is, these ones tend to be the ones that gather more attention.

Mysoginy exists on both sides, as does mysandry.

The few, rational and coherent voices that pop up on all this are drowned in a sea of rage for the sake of raging, and any attempt to actually be helpful is labeled as "profiteering" (feminists calling out the guys who invented a nail polish that can detect **** drugs as "profiting and creating a false sense of security" is the best example of this) or "betrayal to the cause.", because **** different opinions about the same issue, if you're not with me, you're my bitter enemy.

In the end, what I see is pretty much children using the internet as a means to gather attention (by themselves or exploiting someone's image and twist it), not to the cause, but to themselves, and a sensationalist press, looking to up their ratings gives them a hand, instead trying to get to the truth.



Hey, but that's my opinion on this whole, sordid and deplorable mess.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Lady Areola Fappington
#60 - 2014-09-01 09:08:46 UTC
Grimpak wrote:
[
Here's what I follow:

I read arguments form both sides, and both sides can be, deplorable, subhuman sickening and wrong. Issue is, these ones tend to be the ones that gather more attention.

Mysoginy exists on both sides, as does mysandry.

The few, rational and coherent voices that pop up on all this are drowned in a sea of rage for the sake of raging, and any attempt to actually be helpful is labeled as "profiteering" (feminists calling out the guys who invented a nail polish that can detect **** drugs as "profiting and creating a false sense of security" is the best example of this) or "betrayal to the cause.", because **** different opinions about the same issue, if you're not with me, you're my bitter enemy.

In the end, what I see is pretty much children using the internet as a means to gather attention (by themselves or exploiting someone's image and twist it), not to the cause, but to themselves, and a sensationalist press, looking to up their ratings gives them a hand, instead trying to get to the truth.



Hey, but that's my opinion on this whole, sordid and deplorable mess.



I think I see where you're going, and I kind of agree. There's entirely too much "Oppression Olympics" that goes on, and it sucks and draws attention away from real issues.

Lets take the female characters in games. Yeah, it's nowhere near perfect. Tons of objectifying. Unrealistic expectations and all. It's not an "end of the world" thing though. Seeing a chainmail bikini isn't going to inspire some dude to go out and force himself on an innocent woman.

It's something that SHOULD be able to be addressed in a logical manner. Yeah, we need to tone down some of the "woman as object" ideas in gaming, but on the flipside, it's a fantasy world so there's going to be a level of idealism involved.



Now, if you want to go see some real bonkers stuff, Google up "TERF". Trans Exclusive Radical Feminist. I get to deal with them entirely too often, and yeah...they be out there.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide