These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The costs of PVP is too much for new players

Author
La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#61 - 2014-08-28 01:35:47 UTC
Torneach Structor wrote:
Otuk Andven wrote:
an average t1 frigate is going to set you back about 10m ISK

Where in the world are you getting a T1 frigate plus fittings for 10M?

Like, seriously.

Cause where I am (Amarr) an average frigate hull is around 300k. No way in hell is anybody putting 9.7m in fittings on a T1 frigate.

Easy to do if you fit it T2, and its easily fixed by decreasing L4 payouts and giving the amount to L2/L1 missions.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#62 - 2014-08-28 01:57:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Grim Hood wrote:

Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
One word : Derptron

Under 2.5M isk, lethal in force.

Yeah great. Notice the "All Level V"? You need perfect fitting skills and it still does crappy dps.
You don't need all V's to use it, it's just fairly standard practice to post ship fits and figures with all skills V.

I never said it was a good solo ship, I said they're lethal in force, i.e. 10-20 newbies in Derptrons can really screw up your day.

Frigates in numbers are as good a way to kill off your enemies as any other, ask any Goon.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#63 - 2014-08-28 01:58:29 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Charax Bouclier wrote:
I'll throw out my silly idea. New accounts should be eligible for a holographic training mission where pilots are given stock equiped ships to fight against other noobs to really get the flavour of PvP combat with some objectives. If the idea is to get new players to taste PvP and get them hooked, it would be nice for it to be very accessible on the get go.

You can always do that on the test server.

You should never be able to do that on Tranquility and here is why:

Combat with ships you can't lose is like Poker without money. It's not really the same and it makes it extremely pointless in my eyes.

It's like you focus on a single engagement and completely forget about the big war around you which forms the rest and the actually important and interesting part of the game.

It's also a bit like WOW duel arena stuff, actually like the crap meaningless PvP in every other game out there.

EVE is not about casual fair 1v1 or team eSports BS you find everywhere else. This is about WAR where you take every chance to sneak up on your enemy with superior force and club him over the head from behind! People who don't get that are in general really bad at EVE. There are a lot of this people in EVE, people who say things like "sportsmanship" or "fair fight". I think they are in the wrong game. I don't say they should go, I just say they should shut up, accept their role as prey and stop to try to destroy this unique and brilliant game with their stupid ideas.

I may have digressed a bit, but that's what you get for mentioning "holographic training"... sorry

Interesting, I'm not the only poker player that fights for James 315.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Aurora Tali
Doomheim
#64 - 2014-08-28 02:33:59 UTC
the only free ship you get is your first interceptor Frig when you proof that the last skill to Fly it finishes soon xD but you get free skill books 7ö
Yang Aurilen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#65 - 2014-08-28 02:45:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Yang Aurilen
Grim Hood wrote:

Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
One word : Derptron

Under 2.5M isk, lethal in force.

Yeah great. Notice the "All Level V"? You need perfect fitting skills and it still does crappy dps.

Why don't you go to black rise and **** of either militia and ask them to bring derptrons. I'm sure you'll love them zerg you with 20~50 of those. They ARE crappy solo but will kill you in numbers effectively. I've flown derptrons alot and they're good for catching kitey stuff for the fleet. Just gotta make sure I have backup >150km away.

EDIT:
And no I don't have all V skills. Training them to V just makes me marginally better at it skillwise.

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

Grog Aftermath
Doomheim
#66 - 2014-08-28 10:04:02 UTC
One of the problems new players have (if not using PLEX to generate isk), it takes quite sometime just to be able to fit +3 implants. As soon as they're fitted they can't afford to get podded, so they have to play safe.

Jump clones need to be far easy to get hold of earlier, that doesn't mean leaving an NPC corp to get one through another player's solution. They need to be easily available for all pilots without the need to leave their corp.

Also replacement clone cost could do with being cheaper towards the top end of the scale.

If it was me, I'd also do away with learning implants and just add the points to the other skill base points, the skill tree is too long anyway (time wise). Don't see why we need 10 implants in our head, when 5 combat/mining ones is more than enough.

At least if learning implant were removed, PvP would be more affordable and there would be no difference in learning speed between PvPers and PvEers.
Ka'Narlist
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#67 - 2014-08-28 10:18:07 UTC
Otuk Andven wrote:
[quote=Mizhir]but is it going to be any good solo? no chance

Eve is not a solo game. If you insist on playing it on your own, its your fault you don't achieve much.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#68 - 2014-08-28 10:18:33 UTC
Grog Aftermath wrote:

At least if learning implant were removed, PvP would be more affordable and there would be no difference in learning speed between PvPers and PvEers.

Yeah, that's not happening any time soon, we don't need to screw up the economy like that. The LP market would take a gigantic nosedive, for starters, that's where most of the standard ones come from.

And, honestly, implants are not hard to protect. I honestly can't remember the last time any of my characters got podded when it wasn't either my own fault, or I got stuck in a bubble.

And new players aren't exactly going to be gatecrashing a defended system in null.

Implants exist to reward risk. You risk more in implants flying around? You are given a benefit to your skill gains. And honestly, a cheap set of +3s will work just fine for pretty much anybody, when you do the math on the time you're saving for +4s and higher, it's a matter of a few days a year.

And new players aren't interested in that kind of timeframe, you need to give them a reason to keep playing the game week to week, not year to year. Implants, and the dialogue about removing them, are not even a blip on the radar for the new player experience discussion. That's mostly just a smokescreen for veteran players who want the benefits of implants with the risks removed.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#69 - 2014-08-28 10:20:01 UTC
Grog Aftermath wrote:
One of the problems new players have (if not using PLEX to generate isk), it takes quite sometime just to be able to fit +3 implants. As soon as they're fitted they can't afford to get podded, so they have to play safe.

Jump clones need to be far easy to get hold of earlier, that doesn't mean leaving an NPC corp to get one through another player's solution. They need to be easily available for all pilots without the need to leave their corp.

Also replacement clone cost could do with being cheaper towards the top end of the scale.

If it was me, I'd also do away with learning implants and just add the points to the other skill base points, the skill tree is too long anyway (time wise). Don't see why we need 10 implants in our head, when 5 combat/mining ones is more than enough.

I have never used learning implants as they are simply not needed however if I did then you can afford a full set of them simply by running level 2 missions for a few days at the most and get a jump clone for weekend shenanigans.

Problem fixed.
Xuixien
Solar Winds Security Solutions
#70 - 2014-08-28 10:42:41 UTC
Wait till you fly Dreadnaughts OP, lololOLOLOL!

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

Doctor Knuckles
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#71 - 2014-08-28 10:56:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Doctor Knuckles
My god what kind of **** fits do you guys fly and against what kind of **** opponents you use them to suggest pvp is viable with a 2 mils frig

Be serious, those kind of ships (aka the all mighty derp tron of doom) are only viable in huge numbers in attrition wars, which is just a minimal part of pvp

Try going with them solo or in a small gang and be facesmashed 1 v many by the first serious guy you meet
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#72 - 2014-08-28 11:01:59 UTC
Doctor Knuckles wrote:
My god what kind of **** fits do you guys fly and against what kind of **** opponents you use them to suggest pvp is viable with a 2 mils frig

It looks like you missed the two key words here: “new player”.

A fit is only ever as good as your ability to put it to use. If it costs more than you can afford, you can't put it to use and it is therefore **** no matter what the numbers say. The 2M ISK setup beats it 9 times out of 10 because the expensive shitfit simply does not show up. And when it does show up, the 2M ISK wins anyway because that pilot now has 10× more experience.

So the **** fit and the **** opponent is one and the same: the 10M “newbie” frigate.
Doctor Knuckles
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#73 - 2014-08-28 11:10:05 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Doctor Knuckles wrote:

A fit is only ever as good as your ability to put it to use. If it costs more than you can afford, you can't put it to use and it is therefore **** no matter what the numbers say. The 2M ISK setup beats it 9 times out of 10 because the expensive shitfit simply does not show up. And when it does show up, the 2M ISK wins anyway because that pilot now has 10× more experience.

So the **** fit and the **** opponent is one and the same: the 10M “newbie” frigate.

Nah, you missed the point. A new player with a **** fit is cannon fodder, a new player in a decent fit might have a chance given the right engagement. So if the new player can't afford the decent fit, IT IS a problem, because he'll just remain cannon fodder, and most likely get discouraged and call it quits with pvp untill **** knows when

I started solo PvP ing at 1.5 mil SP, my incursus fits costed me around 10 mills (also, running meta 4 make your fits pricier than t2) and i got some nice kills with it. With a -derptron- i might have just quitted tbh
Crumplecorn
Eve Cluster Explorations
#74 - 2014-08-28 11:12:10 UTC
Doctor Knuckles wrote:
Be serious, those kind of ships (aka the all mighty derp tron of doom) are only viable in huge numbers in attrition wars, which is just a minimal part of pvp

Try going with them solo or in a small gang and be facesmashed 1 v many by the first serious guy you meet
Wow. A ship that works in some circumstances, but doesn't in others. Amazing. Hard to believe, even.

Witty Image - Stream

Not Liking this post hurts my RL feelings and will be considered harassment

Marc Durant
#75 - 2014-08-28 11:15:41 UTC
It's always hilarious to see clueless ppl (including the OP) whine about stuff they don't understand.

Yes, yes I am. Thanks for noticing.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#76 - 2014-08-28 11:22:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Doctor Knuckles wrote:
A new player with a **** fit is cannon fodder, a new player in a decent fit might have a chance given the right engagement. So if the new player can't afford the decent fit, IT IS a problem, because he'll just remain cannon fodder, and most likely get discouraged and call it quits with pvp untill **** knows when
Close but not quite.
A new player without the experience of what his ship is capable of is cannon fodder. He has no ability to judge what the right engagement is. Any (non-stupid) fit is decent given the right circumstances, and it's the composition rather than the cost that determines the stupidity of the fit. The trick lies in learning what those circumstances are.

A new player in a 10M ship is far more cannon fodder than one in a 2M ship for the simple reason that the former will lack the experience of the latter (in fact, he might be dangerously overconfident that his 10M will carry the day, when it will actually do nothing of the kind), and the gap will only increase the longer it takes for the 10M guy to stop wasting money.

It's far more likely that the 10M guy will never learn to fit his ship properly and will never actually get into PvP because he's so focused imaginary and ultimately irrelevant “must haves” (such as the higher-tiered equipment that ratchets up the cost). It's just ye olde “don't do X until you have Y” in monetary form, and it is as bad an idea here as it is everywhere else.

Quote:
I started solo PvP ing at 1.5 mil SP, my incursus fits costed me around 10 mills
That's needlessly late and laughably overpriced.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#77 - 2014-08-28 11:27:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Doctor Knuckles wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Doctor Knuckles wrote:

Nah, you missed the point. A new player with a **** fit is cannon fodder, a new player in a decent fit might have a chance given the right engagement. So if the new player can't afford the decent fit, IT IS a problem, because he'll just remain cannon fodder, and most likely get discouraged and call it quits with pvp untill **** knows when

I started solo PvP ing at 1.5 mil SP, my incursus fits costed me around 10 mills (also, running meta 4 make your fits pricier than t2) and i got some nice kills with it. With a -derptron- i might have just quitted tbh
I'm the poster that suggested Derptrons, and I made it clear that they are a ship to be used en masse, not solo.

Going slightly off topic, and touching on "griefer" wardecs I see a lot of people complaining that their 20 man newbie/miner/PvE corp has been wardecced by a one man corp, yet they insist on either trying to take him solo and/or in PvE ships, and moaning when they lose.

Ships like Derptrons are ideal for corps in the situation above to throw, in force, at a much more skilled opponent. Numbers are a great equaliser when faced with a superior opponent.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#78 - 2014-08-28 11:28:09 UTC
Tippia wrote:

It's far more likely that the 10M guy will never learn to fit his ship properly and will never actually get into PvP because he's so focused imaginary and ultimately irrelevant “must haves” (such as the higher-tiered equipment that ratchets up the cost). It's just ye olde “don't do X until you have Y” in monetary form, and it is as bad an idea here as it is everywhere else.

wasted the fist year playing exactly like this
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#79 - 2014-08-28 11:53:50 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Tippia wrote:

Good thing you rectified that.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#80 - 2014-08-28 11:55:58 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Tippia wrote:

Good thing you rectified that.

Pirate