These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

High Sec Hauling/Mining Kills - TY CCP for No Protection

First post First post
Author
Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#381 - 2014-08-29 09:46:20 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:

This thread is filled with a lot of controversial hoopla about 'Staying Safe' with the convenient ancient meme excuse of 'Risk v Reward'. Funny thing is it's the criminal careers that are constantly spouting that bullcrap


Really? I wasnt aware that people's career choices were made available on the forums.


Well, maybe not to that degree, but I suicide gank someone every time he posts some anti sandbox heresy in GD, so you could argue it that way.

+1 Twisted

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#382 - 2014-08-29 09:47:58 UTC
Zero Sum Gain wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Angeal MacNova wrote:

Miner gankers are a perfect example. People will gank miners for various reasons and none of which have anything to do with looting the wreck to turn a profit.


Goodness, shooting someone for *fun* in a videogame?

Call Scotland Yard.

If you do something for reasons other than profit, you're a sociopath.


Its ironic that the people that spout that word are the ones who don't want to interact with other people in this pvp game.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#383 - 2014-08-29 09:48:15 UTC
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:

This thread is filled with a lot of controversial hoopla about 'Staying Safe' with the convenient ancient meme excuse of 'Risk v Reward'. Funny thing is it's the criminal careers that are constantly spouting that bullcrap


Really? I wasnt aware that people's career choices were made available on the forums.


Well, maybe not to that degree, but I suicide gank someone every time he posts some anti sandbox heresy in GD, so you could argue it that way.

+1 Twisted


The idea of doing so, of course, comes from Feyd's kill it forward program.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#384 - 2014-08-29 09:59:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Andski wrote:
Also, according to zKB, ONE FREIGHTER was suicide ganked yesterday, August 28th. Four were suicide ganked on August 27th. Freighter ganks are still exceptionally rare compared to the massive number of freighters that are constantly motoring around in highsec on any given day. More freighters are blown up by wartargets than in suicide ganks.

Those in this thread upset about their freighters being ganked are just bad players with a victim complex.
One freighter is way too many for some people, they won't rest until it's impossible to do anything that might hurt someone's feelings or internet spaceship, i.e. removing all of the "sharp edges" and "pointy sticks" from the game.

They're the internet spaceships equivalent of the idiots that have been trying, for the last decade or so, to replace common sense with legislation under the guise of health and safety.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#385 - 2014-08-29 10:01:03 UTC
Zero Sum Gain wrote:

If you do something for reasons other than profit, you're a sociopath.


Yeah, no one ever did anything anti-social or harmful to others for a profit.

That never happens.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#386 - 2014-08-29 10:04:22 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Goodness, shooting someone for *fun* in a videogame?

Call Scotland Yard.

This is an international game, good sir. We call INTERPOL.

They said they don't have jurisdiction over spreadsheets in space ... so they're out too.

We're going to have to call… (dramatic pause) …space cop! 😱
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#387 - 2014-08-29 10:12:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Tippia wrote:
Velicitia wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Goodness, shooting someone for *fun* in a videogame?

Call Scotland Yard.

This is an international game, good sir. We call INTERPOL.

They said they don't have jurisdiction over spreadsheets in space ... so they're out too.

We're going to have to call… (dramatic pause) …space cop! 😱

As a last resort we can call Defective Teg.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Sentient Blade
Crisis Atmosphere
Coalition of the Unfortunate
#388 - 2014-08-29 10:28:18 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
I say fair play to him if he cuts a profit from someone who's half-assed a ship fitting and AFK hauled across space with a sizeable chunk of ISK in their hold.


I think you mean "Previously fitting-less freighters which get bumped away from gates and sentry guns by previously inconspicuous 100mn MWD plated macharials without ever getting aggression until you get alpha'd"

If people don't bother fitting tank, and AFK their cargo, I'm fine with them dying. What pisses me off is how you can still do everything right and you'll still die, because game mechanics are against you.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#389 - 2014-08-29 10:42:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Sentient Blade wrote:
What pisses me off is how you can still do everything right and you'll still die
The same is true of many things, competing in motorsport, piloting an aircraft, driving a car, crossing the street, life itself etc, etc.

Eve is not unique in that regard, maybe you should try a game that wraps you in cotton wool and doesn't allow people to shoot you in the face.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#390 - 2014-08-29 10:43:52 UTC
I recently lost a Crane Blockade Runner to a Tornado. I would have congratulated the Tornado pilot had I actually been carrying anything at the time. The loss is entirely my fault, and could have been prevented.

I learned my lesson and immediately bought another Crane, undocking at the very same station (Jita 4-4). I of course used my insta-undock [tip: Jita 4 - Moon 1 is aligned with the 4-4 undock].


Everything that happens to you in EVE is because of something you did, or didn't do. Take responsibility! Don't blame others, game mechanics, or whatever; those are just lame excuses.

Forgive me, but I can't help but post this too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=j6mAu1IqibA#t=85
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#391 - 2014-08-29 10:49:30 UTC
Sentient Blade wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
I say fair play to him if he cuts a profit from someone who's half-assed a ship fitting and AFK hauled across space with a sizeable chunk of ISK in their hold.


I think you mean "Previously fitting-less freighters which get bumped away from gates and sentry guns by previously inconspicuous 100mn MWD plated macharials without ever getting aggression until you get alpha'd"

If people don't bother fitting tank, and AFK their cargo, I'm fine with them dying. What pisses me off is how you can still do everything right and you'll still die, because game mechanics are against you.


If you lose a freighter in high sec you did something wrong.
Nitchiu
Simply Boring
#392 - 2014-08-29 10:51:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Nitchiu
Sentient Blade wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
I say fair play to him if he cuts a profit from someone who's half-assed a ship fitting and AFK hauled across space with a sizeable chunk of ISK in their hold.


I think you mean "Previously fitting-less freighters which get bumped away from gates and sentry guns by previously inconspicuous 100mn MWD plated macharials without ever getting aggression until you get alpha'd"

If people don't bother fitting tank, and AFK their cargo, I'm fine with them dying. What pisses me off is how you can still do everything right and you'll still die, because game mechanics are against you.


So if I understand correctly you don't like the game mechanics that allows people to have friends? Cause your scenario is not 1vs1 but X vs 1.

I understand that you don't like being blown up without being able to do anything but what I don't understand is why you think that you should be able to do anything against groups of players when you are alone. If you are being bumped get friends or if you are anti-social maybe an alt. "My friends are not close/not online/I don't have any" Well then that's unfortunate, maybe you should avoid hauling alone and contract to Red Frog who seem to be able to avoid the unavoidable game mechanics.

Also people who die when doing 'everything right' are a very very small minority of ganks. 99%+ I'm willing to bet are people who anti-tank, haul AFK, haul cargos too expensive or like the OP accepted obvious bait contracts.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#393 - 2014-08-29 10:53:34 UTC
Sentient Blade wrote:
What pisses me off is how you can still do everything right and you'll still die, because game mechanics are against you.


Well, first of all, you shouldn't be mad at that, because destruction of assets is what literally turns the wheels of the game's economy.

It is the one vital function needed to keep the game running. Eventually, everybody has to do their part, whether they are the ones doing the doing, or the ones being done.

Secondly, you can do everything right, and you will almost never die. I have been running a freighter alt for literally months now, through all of those pipeline systems, often during prime time hours.

And I have yet to even be yellowboxed.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Helicity Boson
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#394 - 2014-08-29 11:00:56 UTC
Duchess Amarrian wrote:
Last night my hauling ship got blown sky high. I was flying a prorator and doing some deliveries. The person that shot me down organised it really well by setting up contracts and sucking in the person accepting the contract. I wont go into detail here. As i was making the delivery and just 1 second from being docked into station my ship got blown sky high. From what ? a minmitar Battleship that was so many km's away. It took 2 people to stop me.

I keep hearing that ccp wil be doing something about this. I've just had enough of it. Seriously I'm trying to find some fun in this game and seeing that the others always have the edge over miners and haulers in high sec is a real joke. I don't mind if it had happened in low sec and null but when your playing by ccp rules to me it seems there are no rules and high sec is really a joke.

At the very least give miners and haulers some big guns like you give others and maybe will balance things well.

The two that got me are "Luukje" and "Natural CloneKiller". I put up a big bounty on Luk so enjoy your hunting.

cheers





Working As Intended.

A quick look at your lossmail reveals a prorator with all but 1 relevant slot dedicated towards cargo capacity, and a single module for mobility (which further reduces your resilience). So far, so good. You say you were doing "deliveries", if that means courier contracts... well...

An examination of where your loss occurs (a dead end highsec system called Ono) is more interesting. By nature, this system is not on any "regular" routes (dead-end and all) and is used for quite a bit of missioning judging by the NPCs killed statistics.

It seems somewhat unlikely therefore that a professional ganker would normally be lurking there; traffic in Ono is less than 5% of what it is on the traderoutes to and from Jita. One might therefore suspect that this was a planned hit. The contract having been set up by an alt of the gankers. A classic, if rather pointless, ploy.

How you managed to get blown up on a station eludes me, were you perchance autopiloting? ;)

nevertheless, you chose to fly around without even a token tank. You chose to (presumably) autopilot to the station, else you'd have warped to 0 and docked.

Welcome to the sandbox, complain less, think more, and you'll be fine.
Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#395 - 2014-08-29 11:11:42 UTC
I've run haulers between several "highly utilized sites" many times, and I've even mined.

But the only fun in doing that is that I risk getting ganked.

If it wasn't for the fact that I actually have to ponder the risk and prepare for a possible loss, it would have been extremely boring.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#396 - 2014-08-29 11:46:10 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Tam Althor wrote:
Remember CCP Falcon, the level of protection that concord provides players is the same level of job protection you have when the high sec players decide to quit. Will you survive the next 20% layoff when it happens?


I love EVE and the core of what the game stands for. That's why I've been dedicated to it and its community for over 11 years now.

Risk vs Reward is a huge part of that.

Honestly, if that changed, and the game started to soften out and cater to those who want to have their hand held all the way through their gameplay experience, I'd rather not be working on the project regardless of how many subscribers we had, than sell out the core principles that New Eden was built on.

That's a sentiment that I hear a lot around the office, because we are all invested in what makes New Eden so compelling - The dark, gritty, hard reality beneath the pretty ships and nebulas.

EVE is built on the core principle that you are never 100% safe, no matter where you go or what you do. When you interact with another player, you roll the dice on whether they're going to screw you over or not. That's a massive part of the social engineering behind the very basic underpinnings of the EVE Universe.

Sorry, but your scaremongering counter argument makes no sense to me and carries no weight Smile

i love you.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#397 - 2014-08-29 11:57:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Tam Althor wrote:
Remember CCP Falcon, the level of protection that concord provides players is the same level of job protection you have when the high sec players decide to quit. Will you survive the next 20% layoff when it happens?


I love EVE and the core of what the game stands for. That's why I've been dedicated to it and its community for over 11 years now.

Risk vs Reward is a huge part of that.

Honestly, if that changed, and the game started to soften out and cater to those who want to have their hand held all the way through their gameplay experience, I'd rather not be working on the project regardless of how many subscribers we had, than sell out the core principles that New Eden was built on.

That's a sentiment that I hear a lot around the office, because we are all invested in what makes New Eden so compelling - The dark, gritty, hard reality beneath the pretty ships and nebulas.

EVE is built on the core principle that you are never 100% safe, no matter where you go or what you do. When you interact with another player, you roll the dice on whether they're going to screw you over or not. That's a massive part of the social engineering behind the very basic underpinnings of the EVE Universe.

Sorry, but your scaremongering counter argument makes no sense to me and carries no weight Smile

i love you.
DMC is extremely miffed at CCP Falcon for this post and for shattering his ill-conceived illusions of what Eve is.

Another reason to <3 CCP Falcon.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#398 - 2014-08-29 12:11:12 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
DMC is extremely miffed at CCP Falcon for this post and for shattering his ill-conceived illusions of what Eve is.

Another reason to <3 CCP Falcon.

i know its glorious.
Claud Tiberius
#399 - 2014-08-29 13:22:01 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Claud Tiberius wrote:
OP should transport in a full-on tanked BS. There are probably a few with enough cargo space. If not, I'm sure any shield tanked ship with cargo extenders will do fine. So long as your in high sec, they wont attack you since your tank should survive long for concord to arrive Cool assuming its a small hostile fleet (it usually is). Its also quite easy to avoid them. Jump from station to station, figure out who's following you, how many there are. Bait them into attacking you and if you can, dock to be out of harms way. Let concord free the road :P


Please read the thread before posting. Your recommendation would not even work let alone how idiotic of a solution it is to the problem.

Unless of course you are trolling, then good job.

Please explain. If you are in a BS and get blown up in one shot then you shouldn't be flying it anyway.

Once upon a time the Golem had a Raven hull and it looked good. Then it transformed into a plataduck. The end.

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#400 - 2014-08-29 13:24:11 UTC
Claud Tiberius wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Claud Tiberius wrote:
OP should transport in a full-on tanked BS. There are probably a few with enough cargo space. If not, I'm sure any shield tanked ship with cargo extenders will do fine. So long as your in high sec, they wont attack you since your tank should survive long for concord to arrive Cool assuming its a small hostile fleet (it usually is). Its also quite easy to avoid them. Jump from station to station, figure out who's following you, how many there are. Bait them into attacking you and if you can, dock to be out of harms way. Let concord free the road :P


Please read the thread before posting. Your recommendation would not even work let alone how idiotic of a solution it is to the problem.

Unless of course you are trolling, then good job.

Please explain. If you are in a BS and get blown up in one shot then you shouldn't be flying it anyway.


I highly recommend Apoc/Armag hulls for it, especially Blops. You can trick them out with some pretty insane cargo space for a warship that can jump out of trouble.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann