These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Hyperion] Nestor Tweaks

First post First post First post
Author
Lugh Crow-Slave
#401 - 2014-08-21 07:27:12 UTC
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
It still needs a cloak bonus of some kind. Even if you have to take some other kind of bonus away or nerf it somehow.

I didn't say access to covops cloaks. Just a useful, powerful cloak bonus of some kind.

It has always needed a cloak bonus of some kind.

maybe a reduction in scan res penalty it would e something unique to try out
Adwokat Diabla
WeebFleet
Tsundere Triad
#402 - 2014-08-21 08:31:23 UTC
Even if the price was 500mil, I would still buy a bunch of domis instead of a nestor. This ship just flat out sucks in its bonuses, which have literally 0 cohesion with each other. Laser range, but no laser cap/tracking/dps? Combined with drones, which also don't get any bonuses to tracking/optimal/falloff? With some rr in it just cuz why the **** not? So what we have is a rring, drone, laser boat that can't really do any of these roles very good. Incidentally the cap on it makes rring very hard. It just does not make sense why the players would legit want to fly this ship.
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#403 - 2014-08-21 08:49:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Spugg Galdon
Adwokat Diabla wrote:
Even if the price was 500mil, I would still buy a bunch of domis instead of a nestor. This ship just flat out sucks in its bonuses, which have literally 0 cohesion with each other. Laser range, but no laser cap/tracking/dps? Combined with drones, which also don't get any bonuses to tracking/optimal/falloff? With some rr in it just cuz why the **** not? So what we have is a rring, drone, laser boat that can't really do any of these roles very good. Incidentally the cap on it makes rring very hard. It just does not make sense why the players would legit want to fly this ship.

This is why I keep saying they should drop the RR ability, turn this thing into a BLOPs and make a BC to cover the RR ability which could be fully covert due to the fact it wouldn't have any more offensive capabilty than the Stratios.

Then the SoE ship line would actually make sense!
Frigate - Covert Combat Scout
Cruiser - Covert Combat Cruiser
BC - Covert Combat Support (RR/Links)
BS - BLOPs support **with SMA** (BLOPs cloaking only, not fully covert)
Lugh Crow-Slave
#404 - 2014-08-21 09:09:26 UTC
Spugg Galdon wrote:
Adwokat Diabla wrote:

This is why I keep saying they should drop the RR ability, turn this thing into a BLOPs and make a BC to cover the RR ability which could be fully covert due to the fact it wouldn't have any more offensive capabilty than the Stratios.

That would either make for the hardest T1 ship to train into or give you the ability to use jump drives w/o jump skills lets ignore the lore aspects with some one operating a jump drive with no knowledge of how they work and only a small understanding of basic navigation and move onto the game-play side of either jump drives usable with no skill or a function of a ship locked untill a skill is reached
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#405 - 2014-08-21 09:50:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Spugg Galdon
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Spugg Galdon wrote:
Adwokat Diabla wrote:

That would either make for the hardest T1 ship to train into or give you the ability to use jump drives w/o jump skills lets ignore the lore aspects with some one operating a jump drive with no knowledge of how they work and only a small understanding of basic navigation and move onto the game-play side of either jump drives usable with no skill or a function of a ship locked untill a skill is reached

I'm pretty sure you can't use a module without the relevent skills to use it. Good example is I can fit a T2 gang link to a BC but can't use it due to skills even though I have perfect BC skills. So this point is irrelevant. Also, the use of BLOPs bridging ability isn't something you would have to use. The ship would still be a good BS. But I get where you're coming from about T1 and skill training time. But I don't see that as a major issue
Lugh Crow-Slave
#406 - 2014-08-21 10:50:20 UTC
Spugg Galdon wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Spugg Galdon wrote:
Adwokat Diabla wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can't use a module without the relevent skills to use it. Good example is I can fit a T2 gang link to a BC but can't use it due to skills even though I have perfect BC skills. So this point is irrelevant. Also, the use of BLOPs bridging ability isn't something you would have to use. The ship would still be a good BS. But I get where you're coming from about T1 and skill training time. But I don't see that as a major issue

you understand that the jump drive is not a module right its part of a BLOPs like its warp drive and it is this jump drive i'm referring to not the bridge
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#407 - 2014-08-21 11:01:54 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Hey guys, after some more feedback from you guys we have a couple more additions to the changes to announce.

We're going to increase the sensor strength of the Nestor a bit to better reflect its role as a high-tech support vessel.

We're also going to be decreasing the mass of the ship quite a bit, down to 20m kg. This will help keep the Nestor balanced for use in highsec wars as it will be easier to bump away from the safety of stations, and has the added benefit of making the Nestor the first battleship that can jump into C1 wormholes. We'll be decreasing the base speed and inertia modifier at the same time, but the end result is that the Nestor will be a bit more agile and will be a bit faster than before with its prop mod running.

The new changes are:

Mass: 20,000,000 (-36,000,000)
Inertia: 0.5 (+0.32)
Velocity: 65 (-27)
Magnetometric Sensor Strength: 30 (+6)

May I ask what in hell the nestor is made off? Lol at a battleship that is closer to a cruiser mass level.

I think you guys are pushign too much into unreasonable values and lots and lots of bonuses to try to compensate for a failed initial concept of a ship. When you need to go to extreme levels as that mass level, shows something deeper is not satisfactory.

Nestors will NOT be a success as repair ships as long as logistics are as overpowered as they are (and I include t1 and t2 logistics on that)

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#408 - 2014-08-21 11:35:22 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Spugg Galdon wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Spugg Galdon wrote:
Adwokat Diabla wrote:

you understand that the jump drive is not a module right its part of a BLOPs like its warp drive and it is this jump drive i'm referring to not the bridge

Thought you were only talking about bridging but putting the secondary skill of Jump Drive Operation 1 in as a pre-requisite wouldn't bother me for a T1 ship with a covert jump drive.

The BC hull will be the ship that people could turn to before the Nestor.
LUMINOUS SPIRIT
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#409 - 2014-08-21 13:43:17 UTC  |  Edited by: LUMINOUS SPIRIT
BFE wrote:
TheMercenaryKing wrote:
So I am not sure how often the nestor is used for the hacking stuff. In my opinion a battleships is not really suited for that type of operation, nor do I know how effective the +10 Virus bonus is. I would recommend making all battleship classes focused onto Combat type usage, not utility like hacking. That being said I would look into removing the +10 virus thing and give it a Cap usage reductions for armor repairers or energy turrets. I would keep the scan probe bonus for its amazing combat usage.

Bullschmidt. In higher level class wormholes, you can't use your Astero or Stratios to kill the sleepers, then hack the sites... The Nestor is good for that. With the Nestor, you won't have to clear the site in a BS, have a fleet mate warp to you to save the site while you warp back to get a hacking ship, warp back to site to hack, and again... warp back to your POS/exit to reap the rewards. It's a one-stop shop with the hacking bonus.

EDIT - made a new post below.
LUMINOUS SPIRIT
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#410 - 2014-08-21 14:34:16 UTC
This is how nestor can be used in wormhole space after patch.

Role: day-tripping into WH space, ninja-looting sleeper sites.

How:

Put zephyr into ship bay.

Find a chain of c5-c4 wormholes.

Use the probing bonus on the nestor to probe down the signatures.

Warp to each one @100, check if there is a talocan - microjump away to warp off if tackled.

If there is a talocan, use zephyr to bookmark spot next to talocans (leave nestor in space for a minute)

Warp in with a nestor on top of the talocan, hack it while tanking (big buffer (3-4 plates), cap injectors, resists). You should hack talocan in a minute tops, nestor has a bonus to it. Big buffer will tank for long enough, c4-c5 sleepers only do 500dps on first wave. Loot talocan, use cap injector, microjump out, warp out.

Repair in safe spot, rinse, repeat, move on to new wormhole.

I do exactly this only i use a passive nighthawk with MDJ, cap injector, and relic analyzer. I admit I probably would switch to nestor just because of hack bonus - last night for example i pulled 6 server banks with a nighthawk, but hacking in a non-bonused ship sucks, even in max-skilled toon. I also have alts for probing, bookmarking, etc., and I do server banks only if there is a big concentration of them in my chain, normally i do c6 sites., but for a day-tripping character who does NOT have alts, POS, etc., totally viable. 4 talocans will give about 200-300mil in loot. 4 Server banks can be found in an hour. in a chain. C4 sites nobody ever does as well, and they have talocans as well.

I suppose 200-300 mil per hour is decent earnings, ship will pay for itself in 3-4 hours of work.

The only risk is leaving the ship in mid-space to use the zephyr to bookmark the talocan. In c5 server banks you dont really have to, you can bookmark a piece of wreckage 4km away, but in other sites you have to slowboat to it under webs, so bookmarking is a must.

You can also put other nestor bonuses to work. For additional income, you can clear some sleepers while you hack. laser range to guns means you can use Large Pulses (dual heavy) with conflag to hit those pesky cruisers orbiting at 30. So smartbomb frigates away with 1 bomb, then pull out drones to assist with clearing last cruisers.

Do this, and its extra 20-30mil income per site.

Its very interesting, but the range of dual heavy pulse guns with conflag is almost IDEAL for clearing cruisers at 30. And the DPS is better then a tengu.

I think this is what nestor is supposed to do in PvE. But the twist here is that its supposed to do this with a passive buffer tank. Triple-plated and triple-trimarked, it has a very big buffer. certainly big enough to last a few min in a site and shoot the cruisers. 250k EHP, 50k raw armor @ 75% resists. Thats 4-5 minutes of life in a c5 site easy, if youre not clearing sleepers.

The only trick is capacitor management and power grid; so 4 medium cap injectors loaded with 200s will keep you cap-stable through the neuts while you fight or hack, and loaded with 800s will inject enough juice to let you microjump out.

You are not using the RR bonus im afraid, but, it is what it is.

Definitely viable.
BFE
Shadow Flight
#411 - 2014-08-21 15:46:46 UTC
Chris Winter wrote:
.....Notwithstanding the WH role, the Nestor currently has quite a few roles. It's an armor Rattlesnake (sort of). It's a BS-sized logi with correspondingly larger rep potential. It's a BS-sized exploration boat that nobody wants or needs. It's an Orca that can't carry extra ships.

Personally, I'd like to see the BS-sized logi role moved to another, new class of ships, so they can focus on that role--and don't forget to have a shield one, too. Maybe give each race another BS which is basically an upsized version of the existing logi. Maybe T2, maybe not--advantage of T2 would be that you could just re-use existing models...Caldari could use the Rokh model, Gallente could use the Hyperion model, etc.

Then, make the Nestor into just the armor rattlesnake, with a damage bonus to guns. Maybe move the SMA onto the BS logi ships, or keep it on the Nestor, either way is fine. Give the Nestor a role bonus to range of data/relic analyzers, and the ability to loot data/relic analyzers from much farther away.

That way, the Nestor will fit better into the SoE ship line and actually be useful at data/relic sites.

+1 for each paragraph.

I REALLY like the idea of T2 BS logi's..... but even more so the idea of the Nestor getting +range to hacking/looting sites. It should get more of a bonus to strength too though. It IS a battleship afterall, and should be stronger than it's Stratios cousin....
XvXTeacherVxV
Be Nice Inc.
Prismatic Legion
#412 - 2014-08-21 19:32:33 UTC
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
(leave nestor in space for a minute)

What wormhole do you live in? I'd like to come visit.
Can you see the rapier?: http://imgur.com/aFelCpv,GH6lqDE
LUMINOUS SPIRIT
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#413 - 2014-08-21 19:49:27 UTC
XvXTeacherVxV wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
(leave nestor in space for a minute)

What wormhole do you live in? I'd like to come visit.

Come, visit. J142128.

Bring friends. Lots of them. Dont forget to update your clone, our 'return to k-space service' is not user-friendly.

On your way here scan out wormholes and see that they are almost all empty. So yes, leaving the nestor in space for a minute is not exactly safe, but safer then you might think. Much safer then you might think.
Hakaari Inkuran
State War Academy
Caldari State
#414 - 2014-08-22 00:40:04 UTC
Roughly how fast will a Nestor be with a MWD now that its already-low mass was gutted?
w3ak3stl1nk
Hedion University
#415 - 2014-08-22 06:25:55 UTC
If Nestor could launch 5 geckos it would be a lot more interesting without the price change. Would not be surprised to see it used more even with current prices.

Is that my two cents or yours?

Joraa Starkmanir
Station Spinners United
#416 - 2014-08-22 07:00:29 UTC
w3ak3stl1nk wrote:
If Nestor could launch 5 geckos it would be a lot more interesting without the price change. Would not be surprised to see it used more even with current prices.

So your saying 2x drone DPS compared to the other subcapital ships would make it usefull, who would have thought...

Geckos already do around 2x the dps compared to heavy or sentry drones, and is balanced by the fact that they take 2x the m3 and mb. Also balancing a ship around limited edition drones is not realy a good ideaRoll
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#417 - 2014-08-22 10:43:22 UTC
perhaps to set the nestor out as unique ship it should make use of it's lightweight and novel construction techniques and use an advanced ultr-low reflective nano surface to give a bonus to the effect of the target spectrum breaker. Making it harder to target with a seemingly little used mod could be interesting
w3ak3stl1nk
Hedion University
#418 - 2014-08-22 12:58:01 UTC
The ship might have gone a different route if it had sensor damps and neuts. Branch out of SoE theme and go EWar. Drone logistics bonus might have been a neat twist. Add some better cap regen also. More mass for plate friendly. Targeting ghost site theme instead of WH would be a lot easier for a BS. Range bonus for hacking would be necessary though... Looting container might be tough though.... Maybe site should have jettison 1 can with a decent timer so you can tractor beam it...

Is that my two cents or yours?

Komodo Askold
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#419 - 2014-08-22 13:04:48 UTC
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:
perhaps to set the nestor out as unique ship it should make use of it's lightweight and novel construction techniques and use an advanced ultr-low reflective nano surface to give a bonus to the effect of the target spectrum breaker. Making it harder to target with a seemingly little used mod could be interesting
Well, that's definitely thinking outside the box... Might be interesting exploring that route.
BFE
Shadow Flight
#420 - 2014-08-22 13:23:15 UTC
w3ak3stl1nk wrote:
The ship might have gone a different route if it had sensor damps and neuts. Branch out of SoE theme and go EWar. Drone logistics bonus might have been a neat twist. Add some better cap regen also. More mass for plate friendly. Targeting ghost site theme instead of WH would be a lot easier for a BS. Range bonus for hacking would be necessary though... Looting container might be tough though.... Maybe site should have jettison 1 can with a decent timer so you can tractor beam it...

Why would SOE goes out of their own them when creating a ship? Do Amarr go outside of Amarrian theme and use projectile weapons and hybrids? No, they stick to primarily lasers, and secondary missiles..... Do Caldari go outside of their theme and use armor tanks? No, they primarily stick to shield tanking.....

If you want a ship outside of SOE theme.... to go to the market... there are many non-SOE ships, with non-SOE themes.....

Sisters Of Eve are primarily for exploration/etc. Focus the Nestor's buffs for that with its battleship tanking/weapons.