These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

When can we expect the end of downtime?

Author
Shederov Blood
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
#21 - 2014-08-06 23:01:02 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:
...and scipio's number four on the 'top ten sexiest capsuleers without a shirt' list

I have some murdering to do then.

Give me the names.
1. Gajin Sensei
2. Mildew Wolf
3. Grumpymunky

Who put the goat in there?

Belt Scout
Thread Lockaholics Anonymous
#22 - 2014-08-07 02:56:13 UTC
I think we should get a remap for free once a year for all these 10 minute intervals we have to endure.

Blink

They say most of your brain shuts down on the EvE forums. All but the impatient side, and the sarcastic side. No wonder I'm still awake.

**This IS my main so STFU.

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2014-08-07 03:56:06 UTC
Shederov Blood wrote:
They can start by getting rid of the three YOU MUST CLICK OK BEFORE YOU CAN DO ANYTHING ELSE pop-up warnings.

"Cluster shutdown in less than one second"

*check watch*

minutes go by

*still ship spinning*

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Garandras
Quantum Link Company
Simple Farmers
#24 - 2014-08-07 03:59:56 UTC
I know Australian players would love a end of DT...
Having to organize fleet movements based on that timer.. with a variable on when it comes back up is greatly annoying for us
Presidente Gallente
Dark-Rising
Wrecking Machine.
#25 - 2014-08-07 04:28:52 UTC
No downtime. No shower.
Derrick Miles
Death Rabbit Ky Oneida
#26 - 2014-08-07 04:35:40 UTC
They use stackless python so they could technically get rid of it whenever they want. They just use the downtime to perform general maintenance and checkups, which is why it's so short compared to other games.
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2014-08-07 05:13:51 UTC
Derrick Miles wrote:
They use stackless python so they could technically get rid of it whenever they want. They just use the downtime to perform general maintenance and checkups, which is why it's so short compared to other games.

Played EQ for 10 years and the only time the server went down was for expansions, patches, updates for special events or if the server went side ways and had to be restarted. Yes it was multi-shard but still it was up probably 99% of the time.
Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#28 - 2014-08-07 05:22:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Caviar Liberta wrote:
Played EQ for 10 years and the only time the server went down was for expansions, patches, updates for special events or if the server went side ways and had to be restarted. Yes it was multi-shard but still it was up probably 99% of the time.

Even if EvE is down for the full 30 minutes each day (which it isn't), then aside from mass server problems (DDoS, power failures on a server, etc.) TQ is up 98% of the time (97.9% if you want more precision).

So in practice, aside from the unplanned events, TQ is up >98% of the time and unplanned outages are relatively rare, so overall the servers are up failry close to that 98% mark, which isn't bad really.

Would it be great to be rid of DT, yeah sure I guess, but for 1% more time maybe (100% is never going to happen).
Carmen Electra
Row Row Fight the Power
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#29 - 2014-08-07 06:11:32 UTC
How else am I supposed to extract hellcamped supers? Evil
Anthar Thebess
#30 - 2014-08-07 06:21:36 UTC
I hope never.
Because this will mean:
- few day battles in 10% tidi
- boots running all days
- slow degradation of server and client performance
- people running AFK cloakers 29d/month ( just open remote session on server, start eve & forget)
flakeys
Doomheim
#31 - 2014-08-07 07:09:15 UTC
Serene Repose wrote:
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
I demand reimbursement of some kind for this 10 minute disruption of my immersion!!!!!

I will expect a new fedo in my hangar everyday as compensation, retroactive to the beginning of my subscriptions.
As I contemplated your plight I noticed your haircut. What's up with that?

Oh yes, downtime. Woosies.

We usually call him the lawnmowerman here ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Najenna
Caldari Deep Space Ventures
Reckless Contingency.
#32 - 2014-08-07 08:30:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Najenna
Saisin wrote:
I read somewhere that CCP was working on removing needs for downtime..
I think hiese are great news, but what time frame are we talking about: weeks, months or years?

Ok Haven't seen a thread like this in a while. But I am going to tell you right now there will always be a down time. Back in the day when Eve was new and fresh downtime use to be 1 hr. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe it was about 2 years ago when they changed downtime from 1 hour to 30 mins.

C.C.P. stated Downtime will never be gone. From my understanding they are working to get downtime to 15-20 mins.
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#33 - 2014-08-07 11:08:40 UTC
Saisin wrote:
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Soon(tm)

But seriously, 10 minutes of break is a problem?

Yes, as it can be exploited..

For example, you want your location to be shifted artificially by thousands of kM?
Log off from that loc, then log on a few seconds before downtime... You will be logged off again by downtime, without the usual 30 or so seconds of latency, wherever your ship is at that moment.
Very handy to escape a POS camp with very little risks....

I also like to play during those times, and this downtime is not as "convenient" for all time zones....

not to mention using downtime to protect station eggs in null
Delt0r Garsk
Shits N Giggles
#34 - 2014-08-07 11:30:09 UTC
No DT would mean i could AFK cloak for entire holidays! Bring it on!

AKA the scientist.

Death and Glory!

Well fun is also good.

Steijn
Quay Industries
#35 - 2014-08-07 11:40:18 UTC
Najenna wrote:
C.C.P. stated Downtime will never be gone. From my understanding they are working to get downtime to 15-20 mins.

when did they state that because i can remember seeing a post from them saying they were aiming to remove it completely eventually.....will admit that it was a real long time ago so the comment you are talking about could well have been after the 1 i mean.
Heinrich Erquilenne
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2014-08-07 12:19:40 UTC
Never. At least that's my hope. when i can be at home near downtime this is an opportunity for me to do stuff like nullsec "logistics". It's the only time my poor indy alt can cross EC-P8R without any fear in a cheap T1 industrial hull with no cloak. And it's FUN!

Downtime means you know that people in local are here and playing the game. Which is great.
J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#37 - 2014-08-07 12:29:41 UTC
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Soon(tm)

Soon™ indeed.

But it is already WAY quicker then they used to.

When I started, they said 30 minute downtime and usually had to take the entire 30 and sometimes bit extra.
Now they say 30 minutes downtime and server is back up within 10 minutes.

Why can't people be patient for once, it's not like 10 minutes is that much long of a wait.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Heinrich Erquilenne
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2014-08-07 14:02:42 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Soon(tm)

Soon™ indeed.

But it is already WAY quicker then they used to.

When I started, they said 30 minute downtime and usually had to take the entire 30 and sometimes bit extra.
Now they say 30 minutes downtime and server is back up within 10 minutes.

Why can't people be patient for once, it's not like 10 minutes is that much long of a wait.

For some people, having to deal with real life for 10 minutes is unbearable.
shimiku
Zircron Industries
Kairiola Federation
#39 - 2014-08-07 17:50:55 UTC
when the server come back online ?
Najenna
Caldari Deep Space Ventures
Reckless Contingency.
#40 - 2014-08-08 06:39:56 UTC
Steijn wrote:
Najenna wrote:

when did they state that because i can remember seeing a post from them saying they were aiming to remove it completely eventually.....will admit that it was a real long time ago so the comment you are talking about could well have been after the 1 i mean.

Yes it was long ago when they posted that. I want to say they said that after they did the first change from 1 hr to 30 mins. But this is C.C.P. we are talking about here. They say one thing and do the complete opposite. I am not knocking you C.C.P. not at all. I am just calling it like I see it.
Previous page123Next page